PDA

View Full Version : Favorite role playing weapon

Kel_Arath
2007-04-06, 10:43 PM
my personal weapon for role playing is the quarterstaff, it allows a nice walking stick and RPing combat is full "i wanna knee-cap him with a big stick"! what are your favorites?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-06, 10:46 PM
sanshin used as a club

Vespe Ratavo
2007-04-06, 10:48 PM
Rapiers. Definitely rapiers. Especially with keen rapiers or Improved Critical. Then it gets real fun....

tobian
2007-04-06, 10:50 PM
My natural bite attack is actually kind of cool for RP perspective.

<Spit> Bleh. Going to have that taste in my mouth all day now.

Guess it's like mom told me, don't eat it if its still moving.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-06, 11:00 PM
Guess it's like mom told me, don't eat it if its still moving.
Entirely untrue! I like my burgers raw after all.:smallbiggrin:

Kultrum
2007-04-06, 11:07 PM
hmmm ill go with the gnome hooked hammer because if you have one you must be a gnome and therefor are not just allowed to but expected to do all kinds of wacky stuff

Counterpower
2007-04-06, 11:12 PM
I enjoy coming up with inventive descriptions of what a weapon did to a character, does that count? It's easiest with the warmage's spells. He likes fire, and I like describing the drow that are now not ebony-skinned, but black as charcoal. Which, after the warmage is through with them, they ARE charcoal.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-06, 11:12 PM
Daggers. They're the ultimate utility weapon! Even if you weren't going to shank a guy, you'd be ludicrous to leave home without one!

Ravyn
2007-04-06, 11:16 PM
War fan. Concealable, innocuous, pretty, and very useful at parties. Though my friends just can't stop teasing me about always defaulting to use of one.

Failing that, improvised weapons in general. Because they're so much fun to come up with uses for.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-06, 11:17 PM
it is standard in my oldest gaming group by the end of the adventure for everyone to have a +1 eating dagger

Lemur
2007-04-06, 11:19 PM
I always liked chain based weapons. Then I found out that everyone else did too, and they were considered cheesy :smallannoyed: I still like 'em, but it hardly seems bizarre or unusual if there are so many fighter builds that use spiked chains.

Claws are nice, and a bit of biting thrown in now and then isn't a bad idea. Any excuse to be as messy as possible, basically.

Finally, the spear is a long time favorite of mine. Simple, effective, and used in virtually every time and place.

Dhavaer
2007-04-06, 11:25 PM
+3 Distance Flaming Thundering Colt Python, with the ammunition modifier that gives unlimited ammo. Then get Ballistic Fist, Hail of Bullets and Burst Fire. Because it's awesome.

Tach13
2007-04-06, 11:27 PM
I like the Rapier myself, partly because it seems to have a bit of class to it, partly because it's usable with weapon finese (which I use a lot), and partly because it's kinda like the foils we used in college when I took fencing, lol. Also always make sure I carry a dagger collection at lower levels (light, good in the off hand if you can't carry much, etc.)

Indon
2007-04-06, 11:40 PM
I like monk unarmed strike, myself, because it lends itself to versatile descriptions.

Also, booting to the head. It lends itself quite well to boots to the head.

jlousivy
2007-04-06, 11:48 PM
Claws(bracer/glove ones, not natural attacks) and enough throwing daggers to decimate the attack going on in Oots right now

Njerus_Xhazekarath
2007-04-06, 11:59 PM
Tridents! Anyone?

NecroPaladin
2007-04-07, 12:00 AM
Meat cleavers for butcher-y characters. ' "I'll tear you apart!" I say, as I lop off his head like the prize pig he is,'
Maces for strong characters, 'I crack a few bones with a heaving blow to the ribcage,'

And heavy picks, for...well...
' "Let's see how far out of your head I can get your brain!" '

The_Werebear
2007-04-07, 12:04 AM
Greataxe!

Nothing is scarier than a dwarf barbarian charging full tilt at you with 1d12+567 of slashy goodness aimed at your noggin.

adanedhel9
2007-04-07, 12:37 AM
Sickle. It started as purely mechanical: a weapon for a Rogue/Fighter tactician who didn't have any levels in Fighter yet. But I scored so many one-hit kills (*sneak sneak sneak SLICE*) the first session with it that I started developing this imagery of the character guillotining his opponents from behind. So I stuck with it. Plus it's inconspicuous, especially in rural areas.

PnP Fan
2007-04-07, 12:53 AM
I've always thought the khopesh was a neat looking weapon, just for the sake of exoticness. It's not particularly good statistically. I'm also fond of the rapier, though I think I'd rather wield one of the elven lightblades or thinblades from CWarr. Oh, and duh. . . the katana.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-07, 12:55 AM
A Door. Specifically, the King of Doorland.

LCR
2007-04-07, 07:04 AM
Rapier and longsword.

daggaz
2007-04-07, 07:19 AM
My Dice! Baahhahahahaha!

Amiria
2007-04-07, 07:24 AM
The longsword, the archetypical hero's weapon. Adaptable in all three main fighting styles (THF, TWF, S&B).

DaFlipp
2007-04-07, 07:33 AM
Always been partial towards Scythes myself, even if the damned things never crit for me.

Although my favorite single weapon was a huge spiked mace my troll sky raider wielded in Earthdawn - he nicknamed it the Dawnbringer, since once you got hit with it, you wouldn't wake up until the next morning.

Just Alex
2007-04-07, 08:13 AM
Shield. Preferably with both the Throwing and Returning enhancements. Bonus points if wielded by a Master Thrower with Two With One Blow.

Dragor
2007-04-07, 08:18 AM
The Sword of Judgement, DM's Guide. Basically just a Longsword with Zone of Truth cast on it- meaning that anyone in the vicinity of it cannot lie- great for Inquisitor style Paladins.

On a basic note, Greatswords. They're....they're just....so cuddly!

NullAshton
2007-04-07, 08:34 AM
I sort of like throwing axes. They can be used to throw at people, of course. But in addition to that, they can be used as melee weapons to hit people with. And out of combat, they can be used to cut down underbrush.

A ranger with two-weapon fighting style and dual throwing axes would be really cool.

Artemician
2007-04-07, 08:40 AM
I've always been partial towards spiked gauntlets.

Maybe it's because they remind me of Powerfists... If only there were a way attach a chain mechanism to the spikes.

SMDVogrin
2007-04-07, 08:42 AM
Whips. Because everyone feels the need to be Indiana Jones once and a while.

NullAshton
2007-04-07, 08:44 AM
Whips. Because everyone feels the need to be Indiana Jones once and a while.

Whip in one hand, crossbow in the other hand. Even better.

Roethke
2007-04-07, 08:45 AM
Definitely Lasso.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-07, 08:48 AM
Rapiers are classic, but I've always loved the longbow...
Then again, sometimes I just really love the Dire Pick. Bizzare, pointy, cool.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-04-07, 09:00 AM
You can't go wrong with a Monk/Drunken Master/Improvised Weapon Kensai. I once had one who carried a +1 brilliant energy ki focus table. Nasty - and a very good distraction, if somewhat unwieldly.

EDIT: But who could forget the moon made of iridium ...

BardicDuelist
2007-04-07, 09:59 AM
I prefer a whip dagger and a rapier. The whole Zorro thing is just fun to describe. The elven lightblade is better tho.
Quarterstaves are fun. I like playing an old ninja or monk who beats stupid poeple in the head.
Saps are great to piss other party members off.

Edo
2007-04-07, 10:17 AM
Depends a lot on the character and context.

Right now, I'm using a rapier, because that's what made sense for the character: fast, professional, cultured, and totally unsuitable for mass-formation combat.

My next character? Not sure, but drawing a lot of inspiration from gatka (http://youtube.com/watch?v=i2ZzYuDTaTE) I'm thinking maybe a greatsword or a heavy flail.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-07, 10:51 AM
Meh, I like scimitars and falchions, personally. But then, I'm cliche.

I also happen to adore Warhammers, because of the cool different flavor twists you can put on their design.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-07, 11:13 AM
My regular tank Humanorc hero always has a Greatsword and lots of daggers.

General strategy: when not within 30 feets of the ennemy, go forward 30 feets, draw dragger, throw dagger.

But I plan to make a Paladin/Kensai Longsword hero... Damn, the "Myth of the Holy Sword" song of Rhapsody of Fire just inspired me too much.

HE TOOK THE STONE!
HE FORGED A SWORD!

AND HE ASKED TO THE ANGELS, TO FILL IT WITH MIGHT!

How should I name the Longsword?

Gungnir
2007-04-07, 11:31 AM
I like chains. They're very versatile, especially if you animate them and have them do you bidding. Kind of a poor man's Evan's Spiked Tentacles.

Fawsto
2007-04-07, 11:45 AM
Hmmm... I personaly enjoy the following, depending on my character's style of combat:

Dire Pick, because it is a one handed scythe =) (LOVE to score a crit with it! The DM's get pale while I reroll the damage 3 more times ! XD)

Duon, because mostly nobody will understand why that spear has blades pointing to the user till they get too close. HEhehHE.

And finally my fav when I am roleplaying as a Bard: Shuriken Like Cards! "Take this, bloody orc! An ace of spades!!"

But as role playing weapons... Well, you mean flavour, right? Then any exotic weapon would work here. And even the poor monkey grip would get a spot under the light in this situation. Pehaps if you combine both Exotic weapons and monkey grip, that's a UNIQUE weapon! XD

Laurellien
2007-04-07, 12:04 PM
It Definitely has to be my huge dwarven waraxe (MW). This thing has cleaved through more monsters than I have HD.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-07, 12:11 PM
ooh i forgot spears, spears are r0><0r, plus you can turn the around and use them as a quarter staff for Bl damage if needed

Cyborg Pirate
2007-04-07, 12:50 PM
Fists! Fists in armoured gauntlets.

Not very powerful, but there's just something very satisfying about punching and hammering down the badguys with your own two fists :smallcool:

Raum
2007-04-07, 12:58 PM
The mace of course! Just listen to it...the breaking bones, the tearing flesh, the splashing blood....

Music to my ears.

jlousivy
2007-04-07, 02:07 PM
amen to the Shuriken like cards, especially if you put flaming or flaming burst on them. for good measure give yourself a quarterstaff and wear a yellow trenchcoat and big blue boots :-)

the_tick_rules
2007-04-07, 02:16 PM
the monks attacks are very versatile for cinematics, cause you can be punching, headbutting, kicking, grappling with any of the above.

Latronis
2007-04-07, 02:42 PM
The mace of course! Just listen to it...the breaking bones, the tearing flesh, the splashing blood....

Music to my ears.

Don't forget the caving in of skulls...

and yes mace i love it if i'm feeling perhaps a tad over the top and the DM allows (and i do) then the Warmace... but so that its 1d10 x3 like a bludgeoning dwarven waraxe ^_^

Quaterstaff

Spear

Crossbow

DAGGERS

Shortsword

for actual swordfightin peeps:

Longsword

and uh darts, yes i said darts. For halflings, because halflings and darts once caused everything living in the campaign to disappear

Tallis
2007-04-07, 02:57 PM
Depending on the character type I like rapiers (of course), battle axe, dual wield hand axe (or dwarven waraxe if appropriate) and short bow.
I'm also playing arround withthe idea of a scythe wielding necromancer right now, haven't been able to get it into a campaign yet though.

Maroon
2007-04-07, 03:41 PM
Oversized weapons sometimes decent RP make. I always have a lot of fun when my Kobold druid resorts to using her scimitar (which she got off the corpse of a Drow she battered to death (alright, so the fighter knocked him below 0 first, but the bastard did kill my animal companion)). There's something about a robed little lizard charging an Ogre swinging a huge blood-stained sword that makes me all poetic. Or my friend's Half-Giant with his oversized heavy crossbow ("Bill, start reloading the Piecemaker just in case").

Epiphanis
2007-04-07, 03:56 PM
I've always been partial to flails. I think its the visual of swinging the spiked ball in a circle around your head; to me, it just looks badass.

Most of my PC builds, however, are high-Dex Weapon Finessers, so I usually end up with a rapier instead.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-07, 04:03 PM
Whip in one hand, crossbow in the other hand. Even better.

And thus the need to be Zak'Nafein Do'Urden every once in a while.

PhantomBread
2007-04-07, 04:10 PM
Natural Weapons of any kind. And unarmed strikes, specially with Versitile Unarmed Strike.

Slashing Punches? Yes please.

Lolzords
2007-04-07, 04:42 PM
Failing that, improvised weapons in general. Because they're so much fun to come up with uses for.

Very true, I can remember tearing a beastie's hand off and using it's claws as improvised daggers. :smallcool:

Sampi
2007-04-07, 04:45 PM
Falx. (http://www.geticagame.com/images/art/falx.jpg)

I use scythe stats for it.

Spiryt
2007-04-07, 05:04 PM
Falx. (http://www.geticagame.com/images/art/falx.jpg)

I use scythe stats for it.

It looks more like falchion to me, but meapon is cool anyway.
For me definietly bastard sword. European , but katana is also OK.
The only reason to take bastard prof. in D&D is uncanny blow from Complete Warrior, but anyway it's great.

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-07, 05:10 PM
Rapiers, for class.
Sickles, for the fun things you can do with them.
Any concealed weapon, especially spring gauntlet from CompWar.
Quarterstaff is fun, for the reasons stated in the first post. I also like scribing scrolls on them.
Sunrods. So much fun.
Smokesticks with alchemist's fire tied to one end.
And throwing axes. So much flinging. And hacking. And brush-clearing.

Toliudar
2007-04-07, 05:54 PM
Magic Missiles. If only for the ability to trot out the "I target the darkness" chestnut whenever things are getting a bit serious.

Lycar
2007-04-07, 06:29 PM
Bastard Sword here. Wear a buckler on the other arm and switch between two-handed damage-dealing (albeit with a -1 to hit) and sword-and-board i'm-more-concerned-about-not-being-hit-myself-right-about-now-thank-you-very-much modes with a free action.

Hold your sword in the off-hand, take a quick step back, pull a tanglefoot bag from your belt pouch and throw at that annoying TW Fighter/Ranger in front of you. Even if he doesn't stick to the ground he's at -4 to DEX which in most cases translates to -2 on AC and To-Hit.

Being harassed by archers ? About to be surrounded by rogues ? A quick grab to a smokestick you keep ready at your belt and archers can't hit what they don't see (just don't forget your 5-foot-step to leave the square where the next volley will probably still be going). Rogues loose their sneak attack vs targets with concealment.

Back to the beloved Bastard Sword: So fighters only get feats ? Well, make the most of it. Go for Exotic Weapon Master, take Exotic Wpn Stunt: Trip and Improved Trip. Fun.

And while you're at it: Exotic Wpn Stunt: Uncanny Blow lets you do x2 your STR Bonus extra damage in TH-Mode instead of just x1.5.

Just don't forget to magic up your buckler, or you could as well do without it after a few levels. Also has the added benefit of giving it more hardness and hitpoints.

And what have we here ? A fighter who really is a master of his sword !
Don't forget Improved Disarm either. Every computed the bonus a TH fighter gets to disarm a pesky light-weapon-wielder ? Do it and weep. :smallbiggrin:

No need to learn Improved Sunder. Once you are lv. 6 and get 2 attacks, just disarm the sucker and then power sunder his now unattended weapon lying defenseless on the ground. Reach lv. 11 and add a trip to add insult to injury in between. Or disarm both weapons and use the AoO to sunder. Maybe even add that feat from the Draconomicon that allows you to ignore the first 5 points of damage resitance/hardness of something you attack.

Okay, you still don't compare to a CODzilla or a mage but boy can you mess up about every melee opponent.

Heck, maybe just carry around a flail or two to pull out when you want that extra +2 to disarm !

Round it all out with learning Performance: Weapon Drill. Heck, with the right feats you can perform as good as a bard of your level. Or take a level of Human Paragon, take P:W D as your adaptive skill and outperform any bard.

Ha ! That will show 'em. :smallbiggrin:

Now how's that for versatility in attack styles ? :smallsmile:

Lycar

...Eh?
2007-04-07, 06:43 PM
Roleplaying weapon would definately be the locked gauntlet. Although the campaign derailed very early, I already had a rough idea for a great roleplaying scene in my head where the character picks up the incapacitated enemy, pulling the chain taunt, and strangling the poor bastard. I'm not quite sure if that would actually work, but whatever. It still sounds awesome, at least.

Actually, the versitatitly of the monk overwhelms the single awesome moment of the locked gauntlet. Doing a cartwheel as your FoB attack is made of awesome.

jonnyjmboy
2007-04-07, 06:55 PM
From a strictly RP perspective (and not specifically a flavor one) a straight up club or great club never sees enough action IMO.

From a weapon mechanics point of view it isn't anything special--

But if you're gonna play a 4 INT Barbarian who can barely pronounce his own name, then he should have a suitable weapon, something as blunt, dense, and utterly unsubtle as possible.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-07, 07:00 PM
Using bastardswords as martial weapons. Not even if it's a 'katana', I like to use them that way.

Wayril
2007-04-07, 07:06 PM
Improvised weapons are without a doubt my favorite. Unfortunately D&D rules don't really give them as much credit as they deserve.

If you're looking for a different answer, I'd go with Kukuri mostly because they look really awesome, and exotic weopons build more interesting characters.

Laesin
2007-04-07, 07:26 PM
The broken bottle of dwarven spirits FTW. (we never leave an intact tavern).

In Vampire games i'm partial to the naval distress flare gun.

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-07, 07:48 PM
Flare gun? Bwahaha! That must be so fun!

Flawless
2007-04-07, 08:21 PM
But if you're gonna play a 4 INT Barbarian who can barely pronounce his own name, then he should have a suitable weapon, something as blunt, dense, and utterly unsubtle as possible.

His identical twin brother?

I always liked the maul from CWar, especially when playing a dwarf. Warhammer is a close second.

Felius
2007-04-07, 08:38 PM
I'm very partial for the Great Axe on a Glove of Storing. Ideally with the Throwing enchantment. And used by a class that no one would expect. Like a rogue or a wizard (Imagine the scene: Rogue sneak up some guard. Then he makes an axe bigger then his arm appear at his hands and sneak attack the guard with it).

The_Blue_Sorceress
2007-04-07, 10:49 PM
I have fond, fond memories of a paladin who used a sword-gauntlet (Quint. something-or-other 3.X) because her dominant hand injured when she was a child, thus leaving her unable to wield a normal longsword.

-Blue

Goldfish Lord
2007-04-07, 11:00 PM
Longbows are my favorite RP wise, also theres always the staple of town militias everywhere, the short sword!

thorgrim29
2007-04-07, 11:34 PM
Well, since DND mechanics are completely unrealistic I'll have to go with a composite greatbow of distance, along with far shot thats around 400 feet of range increment, then you can try to coin the term "sniper", the elven thinblade is also fun, because even though you dont kill your opponent outright, he's gonna die a few hours later of gutwounds, punctured lungs, and internal hemmorageing (I take a class of medieval fencing, and what we learned about weapons was that the only weapon that has the right to be considered "slashing" is the good old katana, as a europe type sword was around one inch thick at it's thinnest). Other than that, I've had great fun with a dwarven waraxe, or a golliat monkey gripping a huge greatsword is fun (2d12 damage here I come), if only for fun's sake. Oh and a caster level 22 maximized twice empowered delayed blast fireball is always cool, I beleive we called the crater Hiroshima

Lo-Alrikowki
2007-04-08, 12:56 AM
I've got to point out that the massive-crit-range-rapier is almost as cliche as a scimitar. For my taste, weirder is better (a la the dire flail). For sheer entertainment value, try using Monkey Grip and a 2-size-increased sap to deal foolish amounts of subdual damage. Oh, and for Vow of Poverty builds, the quarterstaff dual-weilding ranger is ridiculous.

SpatulaOfDoom
2007-04-08, 12:57 AM
Right now I'm playing an orc barbarian (Int 6 Wis 8 Str28). I'd like to use a stone greatclub as his signature weapon. I kinda like it despite it being mechanically weaker than his current greataxe (Discussion was to up Greatclub damage slightly to d12 but leave everything else the same), it suits his overwhelming brute force approach and childlike intellect. And the idea of someone slinging around that kind of mass must be pretty intimidating.

I'd have to say my favorate weapon for style is the Whip-Dagger. Take a whip and add a 2-3 inch blade to the end and you have a weapon that is lightning fast and has an amazing ammount of force behind it at the impact point. It's the type of weapon that requires a master or a madman to wield since it'd be very dangerous to the wielder as well as anybody you might target or even simply be nearby. I had this weapon with an old character, an escaped slave-gladiator that used the whip to impress the crowd and switched to a greatsword when things got cloase enough to make the whip un-useable. He had great success with it and improved trip.

JellyPooga
2007-04-08, 04:16 AM
I have to say Dagger (or Knife as I prefer to call them...dagger is such a harsh sounding word...).

One of the few weapons you can have in excess of 2 of on your person at any one time (my preference is 12).

One of the few weapons you can have on your person without anyone knowing this fact.

One of the few weapons that are both melee and ranged.

One of 2 weapons that double as a tool.

The only weapon that is also an eating utensil.

Quietus
2007-04-08, 04:34 AM
I'm a fan of just about anything so long as I can see my character enjoying the feeling of the hit, and the visceral thrill of hot blood running over his bare hands.

Yeril
2007-04-08, 05:31 AM
Light hammers used as ranged weapons, I had a cleric who was fanatical about them, at the slightest hint of danger he would throw them. at one point, upon feeling that the brass doorhandle was rather cold, he dived back, and threw a hammer so hard at the doorhandle it busted the lock and opened the door

Keen rapiers are always fun, although I prefer a keen icey burst merciful rapier.

starwoof
2007-04-08, 05:42 AM
Ive always been extremely fond of the flail, especially hydra flails (3 headed flail!). Theres just something about the look on their faces when you swing the flail around your head and sides, making that wonderful whooshing noise...

Grim Greyscale
2007-04-08, 05:51 AM
I like Katar. Especially if you get ones that can be concealed in a glove, and then can slide out when you need them. Great fun for stabbing people who totally didn't expect it.

Kultrum
2007-04-08, 08:20 AM

untrue im a furm believer that the great ax has a place at the table

JellyPooga
2007-04-08, 09:01 AM
untrue im a furm believer that the great ax has a place at the table

Only in certain, ahem...select...cultures.:smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 09:29 AM
Halberds. Looks cool + amazing versatility. Could go a hooked Halberd for trip bonuses. Get differant ends made of differant materials. Get a feat in Complete Warrior and you can deal bludgeoning as well.

Otherwise flails are cool. As are other chain weapons apart from Spiked chain.

The Hydra-Sword from 5th edition Warhammer is pretty awesome.

LordLocke
2007-04-08, 10:15 AM
Anything suitably massive and blunt. Oversized, if at all possible. Monkey Grip might be a weak feat for roll-play, but if it lets me get away with role-playing a Large Maul with a head as big as the goblin my Cleric's smashing with it, then thumbs-up.

Aside from the SMASH option, I've always liked Halberds- ax-headed polearms that are good for a number of fun combat options. My martial-based characters tend to specialize in them far more often then anything else.

The Great Skenardo
2007-04-08, 10:31 AM
My personal favorite has to be Unarmed strikes with the Versatile Unarmed Strike feat from PHBII, which enables you to change the damage type from your unarmed strike.

"Well, it looks like the wizened old monk critted you. He cut your head off with the side of his hand."

:smallgrin:

clarkvalentine
2007-04-08, 10:31 AM
Influence.

Adventurer's outfit: 10 gold.
Cloak of Charisma: 4000 gold.
Look on the BBEG's face as his own temple guards turn on him while you grin slyly having never needed to draw your own sword: Priceless.

TheWarBlade
2007-04-08, 10:39 AM
Greatsword or Greataxe....cause they're grrrrrrrrreat....

Fhaolan
2007-04-08, 11:12 AM
I have a set of weapons that I prefer, although I've never gotten the chance to use the full set on one character, and all of them are non-RAW. All of these weapons exist in RL.

Quarter-hilted broadsword: Basically a D&D 'longsword', but with a slightly more elaborate guard. Quarter-hilt means there are hilt has bars to protect the fingers, but only barely.

Ponaird/Hanger: Difficult to describe. Basically a small single-edged shortsword with a very broad spine that tapers down to a three-sided stabbing point. I've seen exactly *one* of these in RL, have have never been able to find out where it came from or what it was called.

Ciupaga: A cute Polish tool/weapon. It's a walking stick where the 'handle' of the stick is a fully functional axe head, and the butt end is a sharp stabbing point. Basically it's the RL equivalent to the Dwarven Urgrosh. I tend to stat it out as if it was a 'Small' Urgrosh, because it's really a hand-axe with a stabbing point, not a battleaxe.

Blunderbuss/Carriage Gun: If I'm allowed higher tech, I get as close to a sawn-off shotgun as I can get. I love dealing with weird loads for shotgun shells to allow for supernatural critters. Such as rocksalt, silver, iron, rosewood slivers, etc.

Jannex
2007-04-08, 11:20 AM
I have to say Dagger (or Knife as I prefer to call them...dagger is such a harsh sounding word...).

One of the few weapons you can have in excess of 2 of on your person at any one time (my preference is 12).

One of the few weapons you can have on your person without anyone knowing this fact.

One of the few weapons that are both melee and ranged.

One of 2 weapons that double as a tool.

Agreed, on all counts! Pretty much all my female characters have, at minimum, five daggers hidden on them at any given moment (boot, boot, sleeve, sleeve, bodice).

My more tank-ish characters seem to favor bastard swords, for largely character/thematic reasons. Vesh (the genocidally-psychotic half-elf) liked the versatility of using it either one- or two-handed, and the intimidation factor. Tannen was initially trained as a straight-up warrior in his minotaur tribe before they... well, before he decided it would be best if he went elsewhere. That, and I think Oversized-TWF amuses him as much in-character as it amuses me out-of-character.

My more Dex-based characters get a lot of mileage out of the rapier. It just has a certain... sophistication, in its precision. Thematically, it's awesome. The 18-20 crit range also doesn't hurt, I suppose.

While I do have a strong fondness for daggers, my more woodsy-outdoorsy characters tend to go with throwing axes instead. They have a similar throwing-or-melee versatility, and they just feel more appropriate for an outdoorsman or -woman. (Though I don't think I've ever made a D&D character that didn't have at least one dagger. Probably two.)

I had a character once who was a traveling performer; she'd dance, tumble, do acrobatics, that sort of thing. She carried three light maces, three throwing axes, three daggers... and would juggle them, as part of her act.

Reptilus
2007-04-08, 02:09 PM
Urumi. Is it a sword? Is it a whip? Is it a spiked chain? Does it have three blades that all strike a target as though they were long swords?
Yes, essentally, on all accounts.
Kusari-gama are great, too, if only for being one of the few weapons in history to probably kill more of their own users than foes.
In a modern context, Colt SAA. Six bullets are enough to kill anything that moves. *turns back on enemy to reload stylishly*

Roderick_BR
2007-04-08, 03:20 PM
I like hammers. I simply love the smashy feel it has.
And I fell in love with the goliath greathamer, especially with Leap Attack, where you can actually jump up and down the hammer in the target's head with full force XD

asqwasqw
2007-04-08, 03:30 PM
I like repeating crossbows.
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire five shots or only four?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a heavy repeating crossbow, and you have only 1 HD, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Either that or acid to their face. "Think fast!" *toss* Then comes the sound of flesh dissolving...

Beleriphon
2007-04-08, 03:54 PM
I like the old battle suit myself. Repulsor boosters, omega beams, impervious toughness, good times.

Genome
2007-04-08, 05:48 PM
Halberds are at the top of the list for coolness.
Next is probably the whip, especially if you put some spiky bits on the end.
3rd place is a tossup between scythe and wolverine claws. Scythe for grim reaper fun, and who didn't ever want to be Wolverine?

Come to think of it, I haven't used any of these in a game except for the scythe. Time to roll up some new characters. :thog:

Bryn
2007-04-08, 05:48 PM
As well as the good old rapier...

A steamship. Well, it worked on Cthulhu, didn't it?

An airship with a big pointy bit on the front.

A halfling. Or gnome. Or other small sized race.

A lance, since it generally comes with being an honourable knightly type.

Aanndd... The Chuck-Shot (http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/601/601788p1.html)

alchahest
2007-04-09, 07:20 PM
the elven thinblade is also fun, because even though you dont kill your opponent outright, he's gonna die a few hours later of gutwounds, punctured lungs, and internal hemmorageing (I take a class of medieval fencing, and what we learned about weapons was that the only weapon that has the right to be considered "slashing" is the good old katana, as a europe type sword was around one inch thick at it's thinnest)

haha, what's funny is that I was going to say I like good old cruciform long swords because they're so versatile, great for slashing and piercing.

I really need to know where you got this idea that european swords were thicker than katana, which are historically (and popularly) thicker than european swords.

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-09, 09:29 PM
Pah, this class was taught by someone who didn't do his research. One inch thick? Try one centimeter, max, at its thickest. You must be thinking of another weapon.

Sorry if that sounded aggressive, this is one of the few things I can get worked up about. Siege weapons and flight machines being the others.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-04-09, 10:00 PM
My character (a Chaotic Evil demon with a curse that compels him to commit spontaneous acts of kindness) has been having a blast with his Scythes: One sentient and flesh-grinding, the other keen and wounding. My DM hates me for getting so many crits with these babies (one of them did over 200 damage in one hit).

Lolth
2007-04-09, 10:08 PM
I'm kind of digging the Elven twink- er, Courtblade right now.

I've wanted to try a Garrotte with a PC some time.

Generally speaking, I like elegant weapons that don't completely scream TWINKY.

For some reason though, I've really wanted to make a Hobgoblin fighter who wields paired Dragonsplits from MM4.

(Which is home to the brokenest weapon ever, the TWINKHÂMMÂR, er, Greathammer.)

Hyrael
2007-04-09, 10:21 PM
I have a thing for Claws/Bite/Talons, as i just love playing animalistic, monstrous characters. Beyond that, I'm a fan of Dual-weilded Axes (battleaxe/handaxe, prefferably Keen), as it just seems so un-cliche, and my character that used it was a mad, avenging Killoren (fey), like Belkar with a concrete goal (vengeance for his home forrest). There's nothing more satisfying that the wet crunchy thwack of an axehead embeding itself in a spinal collumn.

Maxwell
2007-04-09, 10:37 PM
Daggers. Lots of daggers being thrown from multiple hidden sheaths. Your enemies say "Woe! Where did all thes pointy pieces of metal sticking out of my chest come from!"

h2doh
2007-04-09, 11:04 PM
Sap --> manacles --> lit candle --> one way trip to CE

Bassetking
2007-04-10, 12:42 AM
Sap --> manacles --> lit candle --> one way trip to CE

Pazunia is for lovers.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-04-10, 02:42 AM
I think one of the most multifunctional weapons would be the grapnel hook. God, I love that thing. Well, you know, it's not really meant to be a weapon, but the things you can do with it! Specifically if you've got one of those that fire out of a cannon or something and open once they've hit their target. (Especially fun when you're target is an enemy archer or something. Shoot the bastard on the cliff and then reel him on for looting!).:belkar:

Tyrael
2007-04-10, 03:38 AM
I'm gonna have to go with the two custom weapons my main character uses.

The first is a Great Longhammer. I took a greataxe and made it do Bludgeoning damage, hence a Greathammer. Then I paid to have the handle lengthened, and applied the Longaxe template (from Arms/Equipment Guide) to it. Now it's a big, honkin' 10-foot-long hammer of Utter Smashing that does x3 damage to inanimate objects, ala Maul of the Titans.

The second weapon is a Ball and Chain. 'Tis complicated, but very fun. It's a 60-lb giant iron ball on the end of a 20-ft chain. You begin swinging the thing around your head as a full-round action. Anyone who comes into the radius provokes an Attack of Opportunity from you since the thing is whirling around your head. The ball itself has Knockback (DC 19 Fort save or be knocked back 10 feet). When you throw that sucker, it goes in a 20-ft line. If an opponent is knocked aside, it goes through and hits the next person in the line. Essentially, this thing can scatter people like bowling pins if they all fail their Fort saves. Oh, and it does 4d8 damage, as well as attacking as a touch attack. My DM and I figured that touch attack works since it gets rid of armor bonus to AC, but retains DEX bonus. Essentially, this thing's got so much momentum and power behind it that, while you can dodge it, you sure can't just cushion it with your armor. The drawback to all this awesomeness? No matter how high your BAB, it only gets to attack ONCE every other round, as he needs to pull the thing back and begin whirling it again, another full-round action. So it doesn't get to attack that often, but when it does, the enemy is in for a world of hurt.

In terms of actual book weapons? Bladed Gauntlet (Sword and Fist). 17-20 critical range. Slap a Keen on that sucker, bumps it to 13-20. Grab two of them and start criticalling the hell out of people. Or better yet, combine that with a Thri-Keen and get four! NOTHING is going to stand up for long with that kind of critical range.

Tyrael
2007-04-10, 03:43 AM
(Which is home to the brokenest weapon ever, the TWINKHÂMMÂR, er, Greathammer.)

Whoah, tell me more about this thing. My DM and I just decided that a Greataxe that does Bludgeoning damage would fit fine as a Greathammer. You're telling me they already made a Greathammer? What are its stats?

h2doh
2007-04-10, 10:49 AM
Pazunia is for lovers.

lol, I had been going for the "drip it in the captives eyes" as a torture technique, but that would work as well. as a plus, can be rather uncomfortable for some of the other players.

Hunter Noventa
2007-04-10, 12:16 PM
I've been wanting to use a Three-Sectioned Staff for ages, but the rules for it are just so mechanically bland for how versatile the weapon seems.

Other than that, I've had great fun with the Great Falchion and Eagle's Claw weapons from sandstorm in one of my campaigns.

Bassetking
2007-04-10, 02:26 PM
Gnomish Calculus.

Nothing says "Gnome!" like raining alchemical fire upon kobolds from over 100ft away.

Dudukain
2007-04-10, 02:28 PM
I like using two short swords. It's just cool.

Also, dual wielding whip daggers is the very definition of awesome, in my opinion.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-10, 02:41 PM
I like using two short swords. It's just cool.

Also, dual wielding whip daggers is the very definition of awesome, in my opinion.

Uhm... no...

There are some things that are cool on their own but don't work in pairs.

Laesin
2007-04-10, 03:35 PM
Can someone write up some stats for a BloodRayne type harpoon? I'ld love to use one of those in a game.

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-10, 04:02 PM
Gnomish Calculus.

Nothing says "Gnome!" like raining alchemical fire upon kobolds from over 100ft away.

Arg! how could I have forgotten the awesomeness that is the Gnome Calculus? Shame on me!

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-10, 04:16 PM
my personal weapon for role playing is the quarterstaff, it allows a nice walking stick and RPing combat is full "i wanna knee-cap him with a big stick"! what are your favorites?

You sir!
are a man after my own heart. I think that I've chosen the quarterstaff.. for pretty much 4/5 characters I've created. I use them for all of them, except my rogue who got a NICE +1 rapier.

Hzurr
2007-04-10, 04:20 PM
Shield. Preferably with both the Throwing and Returning enhancements. Bonus points if wielded by a Master Thrower with Two With One Blow.

Ok Captain America, Whatever you say :smallwink:

I'm a sucker for Bastard Swords and Fingerblades (Sandstorm), but I do have a soft spot in my heart for Scythes and glaives

RobbieOC
2007-04-10, 05:01 PM

Captain America FTW! This is one of my favorites I've ever done as well.

Also, I like axes of any kind. I played a barbarian once with a greatax who whose most famous line was "Lemme axe you a question" right before lopping a guy's head off. My next character is going to be a S&B paladin, but with a battleaxe replacing the sword part. I'm pretty excited about it.

Edit: Should have read all the responses before posting... d'oh.

Matthew
2007-04-10, 08:25 PM
haha, what's funny is that I was going to say I like good old cruciform long swords because they're so versatile, great for slashing and piercing.

I really need to know where you got this idea that european swords were thicker than katana, which are historically (and popularly) thicker than european swords.

Pah, this class was taught by someone who didn't do his research. One inch thick? Try one centimeter, max, at its thickest. You must be thinking of another weapon.

Sorry if that sounded aggressive, this is one of the few things I can get worked up about. Siege weapons and flight machines being the others.
Yes indeed. An odd state of affairs. Perhaps he misheard the instructor when he was talking about the width of a given blade, rather than the thickness. Still doesn't make much 'Katana sense', but what does apart from blowing through tanks with them and making them bigger and therefore better...

Enzario
2007-04-10, 08:59 PM
Dagger. Definately.
All the places you can hide them, and all the things you can do with them. *evil grin*

Also the rapier, if only for that one strip a while back when Haley got her hands on Elan's "weapon of choice"