PDA

View Full Version : Pro wrestling and DnD

Orzel
2007-04-07, 04:11 PM
After a crazy dream of the Undertaker chokeslamming 12 dragons in a row (it was Wrestlemania in the dream, thus he was invincible), I started thinking about how "wrestling" would be in 3.5. Not been an active fan for many years, I still think it would be enteresting if warriors with all thier STR and DEX boosting items went suplexing liches and elbow droping prone goblins during an encounter. I find the image of a BBEG big booting a buffed charging cleric hilarious. That would be the best unarmed trip ever.

The rules don't support that sort of silly but I'm tempted to make a Tombstone Piledriver feat. "He crossed your arms, you can't get up from the prone position."

Has anyone perfromed wrestling moves or roleplayed certian feats as move before. Everything can't be Stunning fist.

DomarSaul
2007-04-07, 04:37 PM
Hahah... I have nothing to add, but this amused me immensely.

Ranis
2007-04-07, 04:56 PM
I'd consider barbarians wrestling for dominance of the tribe just about the closest thing I've ever seen to Wrestlemania in D20.

Variable Arcana
2007-04-07, 05:22 PM
It's flavor -- you can have all you want.

If your fighter uses improved trip, unarmed, you're welcome to describe it as "big booting" the cleric.

So long as you keep winning the right grapple checks... you can do most of the things you're looking at.

Make yourself a grapple-focussed Ogre monk, and you're in business. Sounds like great fun.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-07, 10:00 PM
omfug! make a wrastle ring in D&D and then use shrink item on it, then whenever there is a situation where you have to fight one guy "pay the toll or fight me to cross this bridge" whip it out and re-size it then wrastle!

UglyPanda
2007-04-07, 10:14 PM
I also wished to perform d20 wrestling, but I just couldn't figure out how to make it work. Most non-dedicated RPG systems would have trouble handling it as well. I can't think of a system in which the difference between a piledriver and a suplex is more than just flavor. Maybe some sort of body part damage variant rules would help out.

Orzel
2007-04-08, 05:01 AM
There should be a couple of tactical feats that mimic wrestling styles.

Combat Undertaker lets you Tombstone Piledriver (save or stunned and prone after grapple), Chokeslam (Con damage), and Big boot (bonus damage vs charging foes)

Double Drink lets you down two potions as a strandard action by pouring it on your face.

Sharpshooter does Con damage and lowers groud speed of foes you pin.

I'm still lost on the aerial and cruiser moves.

Foolosophy
2007-04-08, 05:18 AM
I'm still lost on the aerial and cruiser moves.

Think "spring attack" with unarmed weapons. Maybe add either skill tricks or tactical feats that require jump/climb/tumble checkts to deal extra dmg / hit multiple foes / add at trip/disarm etc.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-08, 05:26 AM
Tome of Battle can cover this if you need it to. I actually was part of a pro-wrestling themed one-shot session yesterday. One guy did a Stone Dragon-themed Warblade brawler, and I ran a Setting Sun-focused Swordsage "master thrower" of an entirely different sort. I can only attempt to convey how amusing it was by describing the final blow of the "boss fight."

I grabbed a Wizard and hurled her 20 feet across a room into a pile of crates, and my partner clotheslined her just before she got there.

In terms of just getting dragged out battles with a lot of momentum shifts, Crusaders do a great job with pro-wrestling, too. Stone Power + Furious Counterstrike with some healing on the side means guys can really lay into each other for a while, and the random nature of their maneuvers means that they won't always be able to bust out their signature move.

Tome of Battle is pretty much awesome.