PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Developing an Arcane Tradition "Chronomancy". Could use ideas!

AetherShift
2015-02-23, 07:29 PM
I have a few ideas already but implementing them is proving a challenge.
Some thoughts to start with:

- Lengthening or shortening spell duration
(example: a spell effect lingers 1d4 rounds/minutes after you stop concentrating)

- Automatically knowing how to cast Slow and Haste. You always have these spells prepared, they don’t count against the number of spells you have prepared. (a weaker version of signature spell)

- A modified time hop power (This is based on the 3rd level psionic Time Hop power)

Time Snap
As an action you may force one object or creature within 30 feet to leap forward in time. By expending a spell slot you force the target to jumps forward in time a number of rounds equal to the level of the expended spell slot. If the target is a creature it must be medium size or smaller. If the target in an object is must be unattended and weigh no more than 300 lbs. In effect, the target disappears for a number of rounds (set by the spell slot you expend) and reappears in exactly the same orientation and condition as before. From the target’s point of view, no time has passed at all. If the space from which the target departed is occupied upon its return, it appears in the closest unoccupied space, still in its original orientation.

This one needs a lot of work. I really love the flavor and utility of this ability and I really want the finished product to utilize it in some shape or form. If that means making it once or twice per rest, or setting the the number of rounds to a standard number then so be it. The reason I like it this way is because there really are not a whole lot of time flavored spells available. This way a wizard who really wants to be a time mage can have a signature (and useful!) spell that can be fine tuned (by expanding the appropriate slot) to match any situation and it scales nicely.

I would love to hear other ideas, or be directed to a similar project if it already exists.

Darkstand
2015-02-24, 09:30 AM
I have a few ideas already but implementing them is proving a challenge.
Some thoughts to start with:

- Lengthening or shortening spell duration
(example: a spell effect lingers 1d4 rounds/minutes after you stop concentrating)

- Automatically knowing how to cast Slow and Haste. You always have these spells prepared, they don’t count against the number of spells you have prepared. (a weaker version of signature spell)

- A modified time hop power (This is based on the 3rd level psionic Time Hop power)

Time Snap
As an action you may force one object or creature within 30 feet to leap forward in time. By expending a spell slot you force the target to jumps forward in time a number of rounds equal to the level of the expended spell slot. If the target is a creature it must be medium size or smaller. If the target in an object is must be unattended and weigh no more than 300 lbs. In effect, the target disappears for a number of rounds (set by the spell slot you expend) and reappears in exactly the same orientation and condition as before. From the target’s point of view, no time has passed at all. If the space from which the target departed is occupied upon its return, it appears in the closest unoccupied space, still in its original orientation.

This one needs a lot of work. I really love the flavor and utility of this ability and I really want the finished product to utilize it in some shape or form. If that means making it once or twice per rest, or setting the the number of rounds to a standard number then so be it. The reason I like it this way is because there really are not a whole lot of time flavored spells available. This way a wizard who really wants to be a time mage can have a signature (and useful!) spell that can be fine tuned (by expanding the appropriate slot) to match any situation and it scales nicely.

I would love to hear other ideas, or be directed to a similar project if it already exists.

Not really a expert on balance, but I love that spell. Has a lot of potential, not only as offensive (get rid of a troublesome enemy for a bit while you deal with his/her/its allies) but as a defensive option as well ('hop' out of the way of a oncoming patrol, or past a nasty explosion - good for coordination with non-party friendly spells).
That second option has me wondering about targeting multiple targets with the same spell (for added cost) but it'd be OP against non-allied forces I think... just a thought. The ability to cast it on your whole party would be SOOOO useful in some cases.
Hrmmmmmmmm.... maybe add a saving throw (probably a good idea for balance anyway) and if any target saves, the spell fails for all of them? (You can choose to fail the save if you wish, if thats not the default already, I think it is.) And the spell slot expended must equal the total rounds everyone 'hops' cumulatively? Or could you expend several lower level slots..... dunno. Bears some thought.

I have no real opinion on it as a subclass.... but I want that spell.

ASchmidt
2015-02-24, 10:44 AM

I've been toying with a Chronomancy tradition... one of the features I had considered as a 14th level feature was the ability to take an action allowing the target to take a short rest as an action. So both the wizard and the target take an action but the target gets the effects of a short rest.

I'd looked at a few other features but that was the big one that really spoke to me.