PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Make Demodand's Interesting

CowardlyPaladin
2015-02-26, 09:44 AM
Demodands (or Gehreleths, the NE/CE people) were always the bizarre step child of D&D just enough fluff content to be intriguing but not enough to do anything them. So I was wondering, does anybody have any ideas how I can make them more interesting for my game? I love the idea of a 5th species of fiend (Yugoloths and Daemons are separate in my game) who basically just run a massive prison but I am rather blank when it comes to ideas. So I wanted to appeal to you, the creative people, to help revise them.

And yes, I now Pathfinder changed them, but all they really did was make them into Titanspawn, and I want to be more distinctive.

Ok so what do we know about Demodands?

1) They were created by a Yugoloth lord named Apomps the Three sided one, who is....I really don't even know, his (its?) character was never really explored. But he created the Demodands as an alternative to the Yugoloths, and for that was banished to the Prison Plane, which he seems to have taken over
2) Thus they hate Yugoloths
3) They have a fetish for the number 3
4) They seem mildly neutral on the subject of the BLood War
5) They are as much prisoners as the souls who come here

Other than that...not much. Oh and a stupid reproductive system but I don't want to keep that. So does anybody have any ideas? here is what I wrote up, but feel free to discard it if you think of anything better. I just want those 5 points to be intacted.

Gehreleth (Carceri, NE/CE)
The Gehreleths are one of the strangest creatures in Planar politics, in many way they are a minor isolated evil race, and yet despite this, they counted as the “4th” fiendish race, often coming before Yugoloths, which doesn’t even make sense. These creatures were the product of a singular being, a Baernaloth known as “Apomps the Three Sided One” who wanted to create his own race of Lower Beings to serve him directly. For that act, he was banished from Gehenna, and forced into the great Prision of Carceri, a realm of Prisons. However Apomp was able to eventually take over the prison and through his own strength, make it his own, which now dwells as a massive terrifying prison in the planar world. Apomp’s reason for creating the Gehreleths is not quite clear, but part of it seems to be an experiment into the nature of evil. Thus because of that

Reproduction cycle: Gehreleths are very strange, in that like all fiends they reproduce though souls, but the process isn’t instant. Every day, one of the three main types (Farastu, Kelabar, and Shator) will explode, and from within a massive amount of new Gehreleths will be produced. Farastu will create 9,999 new ones, Kelabar will create 19,998, and Shators will create 3,333. In addition, 10,000 new alternative Gehreleths will emerge. Nobody knows why this happens, but it seems to be part of Apomp’s social experiment. When the Blood War threatens Carceri, the reproduction Gehreleths will be sent to the front lines to suddenly materialize their armies in the middle of the enemy.

Blood War- The Gehreleths try their best to stay neutral in the conflict…which of course is futile, but they try. The war constantly rages unto their world, and as long as it doesn’t threaten to release the prisoners, the Gehreleths normally are content to let it rage, but when the situation gets dangerous, they will send their armies to drive all the various factious out of their home plane. Since this is happening constantly, there are many Gehreleths who fight full time, though they hate doing so, though the Shaitans have taken some of the pressure off of their back, many upper planes beings deliberately try to spark conflicts here as three races of lower beings killing each other is better than two. The people who the Gehreleths truly hate with a passion is the Yugoloths, and to an lesser extent the Daemons, and the three of them are in a constant struggle, known as the Triad War.

Types- Farastu, Kelabar, Arutar, Nasfaru, Shator, Slime, Tarry, Shaggy, Dyr’ryd, Shrieking terror,

Little Note, in my game I prefer the term Gehreleth, I was thinking of making Demodands another species entirely.

So Any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a great deal :) And go crazy, I am really curious what people do with Apomps

Segev
2015-02-26, 03:33 PM
Devils and Demons form the principle factions of the Blood War, embodying LE and CE, respectively.

Yugoloths are the NE fiend, and they embody the evils of the worst kinds of black markets. Slavery, trading in freedoms and vices. Anything for a price, including mastry of the rivers used to traverse the lower planes.

If you've split off the Daemons, I'm guessing they take the mercenary role that Yogoloths usually also service.

The Gehreleths as jailors seems a good role, considering that Carceri in particular is supposed to be a prison plane.

I would go with Apomps the Three-Sided having been a Yugoloth who thought he could provide a mercenary force that would undercut the Daemons and other Yugoloth middle-men, and he lost that particular economic war. That's why he and his creations were banished.

Apomps cannot leave the plane, but is its self-appointed warden, with his Gehreleths his enforcers, and the jailers to the other prisoners. They capture and process any newcomers, informing them of their position as prisoners and of the rules of the prison (mostly, "Do what a gehreleth tells you," but also some helpful tips for making ones own way), and they sort through the newcomers' possessions (whatever they may be...including possibly life and limb).

Then they split those possessions into three groups, and allow the new prisoner to choose two of them to keep. The rest becomes a tax to go into the prison system's upkeep. (For the Gehreleths and their master to use and distribute as they see fit.)

Particularly nasty Gehreleths will mention the sacredness of the number three before pointedly positioning the prisoner at one point of a triangle and his possessions at the other two, having divided them up into seemingly two groups. He'll then let the prisoner "choose two." If he doesn't choose himself as one of the two, the fiends delight in taking him as a possession.

Because they are prisoners of the plane, they are hard (if not impossible) to summon. In dealing with them, an upright triangle serves as well as a binding circle. An inverted triangle serves to keep them out - not because they are truly hedged, but because they see that as a triangle inscribed in another one, and anything INSIDE is imprisoned. They, in their arrogance, never willfully imprison themselves.

Using a triangle inscribed within a triangle (kind-of like the TriForce symbol), it is possible to violate the technicalities of their imprisonment and summon up to 3, as long as they stay one in each of the three outer triangles. They make excellent guards, and can be persuaded fairly easily to take things back to Carceri with them if those things (or people) are put in the central, inverted triangle.

As the absolute masters of their prison plane, they feel no allegiance to anybody outside of it, and care nothing for external politics save their desire to imprison and punish Yugoloths for the crime of existing. They are most likely encountered as sources of divinitory information; the inscribed triangle can be used as a focus for spells which commune with other planes in order to get the Gehreleths to possibly coerce more recalcitrant extraplanar entities into talking more openly. They are excellent at making prisoners cooperate.

endur
2015-02-26, 10:49 PM
Jack Vance's Deodand from the Dying Earth series were evil, carnivorous, soulless predators built as muscular, handsome men. They are cold blooded and view human prey the same way a cat might view a wounded bird.

I prefer the Arduin Grimoire Deodanth, they are far superior to Demodands in flavor and coolness. Sort of vampiric dark elves.

Arduin Grimoire vol I "6' to 7' tall ebon humanoids with flaming red eyes and silver claws and fangs. They wear military trappings but no clothes. They can leap 20' to 40' and hate elves so much that they attack them on sight. Magic resistant and can't be life drained." They attack with claws and bite and have a chance of energy drain.

Here is a link to a 3e conversion of the Arduin Deodanth
http://underworldcleaningservice.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-monster-deodanth.html

"Deodanths are a rare cross-breed between demons and elves, and are the embodiment of evil and sadism. They are warlike and celebrate only brute strength and cruelty. As a society they revel in martial skills, torture and killing. They view lesser races as prey and often hunt them for mere sport."

M Placeholder
2015-02-27, 02:26 PM
This is not really a challenge. After all, Demodands were always interesting. If you have to ask that question, then you've not been looking in the right places. After all, a fiend that is created from the poor berks that die in the[I] prison, can melt down into tar to fit into bottles for an intstant army, are considered the ugliest of all fiends, and have several influential members of their race that are hell bent on enslaving their ancient enemy, the yugoloths, are already pretty interesting.

Check out

[I]Uncaged - faces of Sigil - Has information on Xideous the 'Leth, and his discription of Shemeshka the Marauder is hilarious.
Faces of Evil - The Fiends - This splatbook is worth the money just for Xanxost the Slaad, but also has a wealth of information on the 'leths.
Planes of Conflict - Has information the planes of Gehenna (including information on Sung Chang, the Chinese god of theives and his two 'leth proxies), Hades and Carceri, and the upper planes of Bytopia, Elysium and the beastlands.

CowardlyPaladin
2015-02-28, 09:34 AM
The Loths in my game are like angels for good, they are basically "any evil" and serve as mercenaries, slave traders, gamblers, and all other types of opprotunities for the Blood War between the Demons and the Devils, while fighting their own war with the Daemons, who I have gen the more philosophical aspect of the Loths, Daemons being far more interested in experimentation, nihilism (pathfinder style) and corporate expansion. I like the idea that the leths are some sort of third form of mercenaries who attempted to undercut the loths and Daemons, and now have to run their prison plane. However I still am not clear on their long term goals. Do they want to end the Blood War? ANd if so which side do they want to win? Do they want to keep it going just to make money off it? Do they want to remove the Loths or do they just want to be left alone? Does Apomp the Three Sided one want to supplant the General or Asmodeus as one of the big players? In the short term they are basically running the prison from hell...literally. I want to imagine the plane as basically the worse aspect of all real life prisons taken to an even greater extreme, with the them being the prisoners being forced to exploit and harm each other in order to survive. But what do they want in the long term? I doubt they are fans of the Devils because you know, NE/CE.

Grek
2015-03-02, 04:13 PM
At the dawn of creation, horrifying primordial monsters roamed free throughout the multiverse. Primal Elementals, Gibbering Orbs, Mu Spores, the Shape of Fire, the Shadow of the Void, the Flux Slime Collective, the Abominations spawned in the Divine Wars... The Gods, unwilling and in some cases unable to wage a war of extinction against these myriad foes, instead made a pact: One of the outer planes would be set aside as a prison, and each God would donate a portion of their power to lure and bind these cosmic threats within. And so Carceri came to be. And yet a warden was needed, as well as guards. Many bids were made, but ultimately Apomps the Three Sided, favoured nominee of Nerull the Soulbinder, was selected as the most ruthless and inescapable guardian for the plane.

Using the divine power invested in his post, Apomps created the Gehreleth as perfect guards for his perfect prison, able to melt down into tar and expand back out into guards as the need for security waned and waxed. Next he shaped Carceri into six layers, each more secure than the last. First was the Bog of Othrys, intended for minimum security prisoners. The Elder Titans were imprisoned there alongside their earliest creations. The Jungle of Cathrys was produced next, to imprison the Mu Spores alongside Talona (inventor of poison) and Grolantor (last of the Elder Titans to surrender in the Giant War). The Desert of Minethys imprisons countless undead creatures within its dessicated, lifeless wastes; particularly the Lava- and Winter-wights. Within the Mountains of Colothys, the Shape of Fire was bound beneath the earth and the Primal Elementals of Earth and Air were sealed away. Under the Ocean of Porphatys, the Shadow of the Void was sunk beneath the waves, while the Primal Elementals of Water and Fire were frozen in the acidic ice.

It was only after the sixth and final layer of Carceri was created that the Gods realized their mistake. Agathys, allegedly created to bind the Abominations, proved equally apt at imprisoning the Divine. As the Gods vanished one by one, it was revealed that Apomps intended to bind all things within the great prison where he and he alone held sway. Only by turning the Gehreleth against their creator with the Threefold Seal was Carceri kept in check. Unable to leave Carceri except when called; bound to return to Carceri whenever dismissed and permitted to take to Carceri only that consigned to their care, the Gehreleth now pose little threat to the multiverse as a whole - just to those unfortunates sent along with the infernal gaolers to the Prison Plane itself.

Talakeal
2015-03-02, 04:40 PM
Out of curiosity, have you done anything with the hordelings?

I always felt that they were criminally underutilized.

Zilzmaer
2015-03-02, 08:41 PM

Or how about the kythons? I'm not sure if they existed before 3.0, but they were in the Book of Vile Darkness, at the very least.

Talakeal
2015-03-02, 08:51 PM
Planescape's distribution of fiends was weird. Acheron and Pandemonium don't really have a native race of fiends, but then they have Night Hags, Nightmares, Bladelings, Kythons, Malephants, Vapporighu, (sp?) and others who act like fiends but (probably) aren't true fiends and just kind of wonder the planes. 3.X made it weirder by classifying a lot of these creatures as devils or demons but not Baatezu or Tanari.

And then there are the ancient baatorians / obyrinths...

CowardlyPaladin
2015-03-03, 12:05 AM

In my game, there use to be Fate and then it broke and Free Will reigns supreme, but that has caused the universe itself to break a little bit, leading to contradictory planes, planes of aligniment combinations that shouldn't exist. The Hoardlings are the result of Lawful Evil/Chaotic Evil which againt doesn't make any sense, and are creatures who are able to mix and match at will. So you have 10 Hoardlings, and they can merge together into one big hoardling, who can then split up into 10, but those ten will not have a randomized amount of traits to share between them. They basically serve as the manifestation of mob violence and mass comformity, and in the BLood War serve as these constant interference to both sides.

Similarly, the Kythons serve as the natives of another contradictory plane, known as the Chasme (fans of Mongoose Publishing might recognize it) CE/LN. Basically this is a realm where evil souls fall through before landing in their approprate hell, but if you are lucky or strong, you can grab unto the edges and keep from your proper fate. However there are very limited resources to go around and if you stay in one location for too long, the ground will give in and you will fall to hell. The Kythons serve as the predators of this realms, constantly hunting the souls here to keep them from getting too comfortable. THe theme of this realm is how people in desperate circumstances will sell out those beneath them. The Kythons serve as this constant fear forcing the souls here to make "tough choices" but these choices inevitably end in "throwing people who are not me to the pits so I can escape unharmed" The shell game of this is that if you dwell here long enough, you simply become a Kython, enforcing the hypocritical "Laws of survival" that only seem to suit the strongest

One of the themes of my game is "A home for every fiend"

Also I love the idea of the Prison plane being made to keep Abominations under wraps, that is fantastic.

Talakeal
2015-03-03, 03:58 PM
When you say you separated Daemons and Yugoloths what exactly do you mean? AFAIK they are the same thing in core, did you create a separate race and use one of the names, rename something else, split the existing yugoloths into two factions, or what? The closest I can think of to a non demon yugoloth would either be the "Guardian Daemons" from the old monster manuals or a non yugoloth inhabitant of Gehenna such as the vapporighu (sp).

CowardlyPaladin
2015-03-03, 04:13 PM
When you say you separated Daemons and Yugoloths what exactly do you mean? AFAIK they are the same thing in core, did you create a separate race and use one of the names, rename something else, split the existing yugoloths into two factions, or what? The closest I can think of to a non demon yugoloth would either be the "Guardian Daemons" from the old monster manuals or a non yugoloth inhabitant of Gehenna such as the vapporighu (sp).

Daemons are based on Pathfinder Daemons, at least visually, just with different names, while Loths are the old loths we know and love. If you are talking thematically, Loths can be any evil now and take up the part of mercenaries and sell swords. In the mean time, Daemons have taken their more spiritual side, and serve as the ones doing experiments unto the nature of evil, as well as being the masters of the soul trade, I've given them a more scary corporate feel.

Talakeal
2015-03-03, 04:16 PM
Daemons are based on Pathfinder Daemons, at least visually, just with different names, while Loths are the old loths we know and love. If you are talking thematically, Loths can be any evil now and take up the part of mercenaries and sell swords. In the mean time, Daemons have taken their more spiritual side, and serve as the ones doing experiments unto the nature of evil, as well as being the masters of the soul trade, I've given them a more scary corporate feel.

Ahh, Pathfinder. That makes sense. I just wasn't aware of a group of non yugoloth daemons to draw from for the new race.

CowardlyPaladin
2015-03-03, 05:12 PM
Ahh, Pathfinder. That makes sense. I just wasn't aware of a group of non yugoloth daemons to draw from for the new race.

My champaign goal is to combine Pathfinder, Dicefreaks and Planescape to make the ultimate super cosmology, and i'm going through the planes one by one to see if I can fit them all together. For pathfinder Daemons i dropped most of the nihilism soul eating stuff though, it didn't seem to fit for NE. They are more corporate in nature.

Also I finished Gehreleths, thanks a lot everybody, this is what I have so far

Gehreleth (Carceri, NE/CE)
The Gehreleths are one of the strangest creatures in Planar politics, in many way they are a minor isolated evil race, and yet despite this, they counted as the “4th” fiendish race, often coming before Yugoloths, which doesn’t even make sense. These creatures were the product of a singular being, a Baernaloth known as “Apomps the Three Sided One” who wanted to create his own race of Lower Beings to serve him directly. For that act, he was banished from Gehenna, and forced into the great Prision of Carceri, a realm of Prisons. However Apomp was able to eventually take over the prison and through his own strength, make it his own, which now dwells as a massive terrifying prison in the planar world. Apomp’s reason for creating the Gehreleths is not quite clear, but part of it seems to be an experiment into the nature of evil. Thus because of that

Reproduction cycle: Gehreleths are very strange, in that like all fiends they reproduce though souls, but the process isn’t instant. Every day, one of the three main types (Farastu, Kelabar, and Shator) will explode, and from within a massive amount of new Gehreleths will be produced. Farastu will create 9,999 new ones, Kelabar will create 19,998, and Shators will create 3,333. In addition, 10,000 new alternative Gehreleths will emerge. Nobody knows why this happens, but it seems to be part of Apomp’s social experiment. When the Blood War threatens Carceri, the reproduction Gehreleths will be sent to the front lines to suddenly materialize their armies in the middle of the enemy.

Powers- Pound for pound, the Gehreleths are the most powerful race of lower beings in the world. No I am dead serious, your average Gehreleth can easily finish off any Loth, Demon, Daemon, Devil, Fiend, Galchutt or what ever else you throw its way. The Shators in particular are almost as powerful as Solars, and there have been cases when Shators have killed a pit fiend, balor, and Ultroloth by itself. Even the weakest Gehreleth is on par with mid level demons and devils, and this sheer strength has allowed them to survive in such a harsh world. The fact that they are contained to a single plane means that invading forces might find themselves fighting a score of Shators at a time, a daunting prospect. Gehreleths almost never fight among themselves, which makes them unique among the lower beings, for even fiends plot against each other personally. Aside from the occasional assassination, Gehreleths act in almost complete unity, which makes fighting them an even more daunting prospect, not just on the battlefield but also with life generally. Which has done a great deal to help make them almost impossible to defeat.

Blood War- The Gehreleths try their best to stay neutral in the conflict…which of course is futile, but they try. The war constantly rages unto their world, and as long as it doesn’t threaten to release the prisoners, the Gehreleths normally are content to let it rage, but when the situation gets dangerous, they will send their armies to drive all the various factious out of their home plane. Since this is happening constantly, there are many Gehreleths who fight full time, though they hate doing so, though the Shaitans have taken some of the pressure off of their back, many upper planes beings deliberately try to spark conflicts here as three races of lower beings killing each other is better than two. The people who the Gehreleths truly hate with a passion is the Yugoloths, and to an lesser extent the Daemons, and the three of them are in a constant struggle, known as the Triad War. However Carceri is one of the great Blood War battlegrounds, even with Avernus taking up some of the slack, and so the Gehreleths are always trying to keep their realm from being overrun. Lacking the natural defenses or extreme power of the other battlegrounds, as well as any hope of allies (or even mercenaries) the Gehreleths are always fighting to keep them selves stable, let alone strong.
Upper Planes- The Gehreleths play a vital role is slowing wearing down the forces of the Blood War, but expect very little aid in return from the beings of the upper planes. In fact, many of them actively try to draw the conflict of the Blood War unto the Red Prison, hoping to eliminate as many Gehreleths as possible along with the main participants. The Archons and Asuras in particular seem to see them as one of the great evils of the planes, and actively try to kill them when they get a chance, and are constantly launching escape attempts and break outs. However there is one way in which the Gehreleths can assure the support of the Upper Planes…hostage exchange. In the eternal depths of their prison, the Gehreleths have hundreds of millions of great hero’s, trapped here for eternity. The Gehreleths have long ago realized that Azata, Archons, and Angels will send support to their plane if they will release prisoners to the Upper Planes. Thus many angels will either send relief armies to attack the combatants, station guards at a vital spot, open a new front on another plane, or simply divert or reduce the goods of the armies in exchange for good prisoners to be released. This has led to a great debate among the Unity of Light, as the Gehreleths will send agents out to capture great heroes as bargaining chips in order to secure their own survival. The Archons have taken to refusing any deals with the Gehreleths, and regularly launch raids to attempt to free their heroes. The Asura see the Gehreleths as much of a threat as the other lower beings, and so actively try to encourage these wars so as to make sure that as many fiends as possible are killed. Many Gehreleths are starting to suspect that the Asuras will spark wars on their soil in order to free more heroes, and that is in fact true (though not all Asuras are aware). The Gehreleths are very much a species backed into a corner, and are willing to do anything to survive no matter how debauched. The Gehreleths are a race with many enemies and the Yugoloths are obsessed with destroying them once and for all, the Daemons see them as heretical challengers, and both Demons and Devils want to take their land for the Blood War. Even the fiends see them as little more than another race of mercenaries, causing even more disunity in the great war. Most of the upper planes seem them as filth, and the Unaligned Planes see no need to make deals with them. Thus the Gehreleths are a friendless race, but despite this, they have done rather well for themselves. They have carved out for themselves their own plane and have survived against all 6 of the major fiendish races without any support, which.is rather impressive. There sheer strength, organization, and defensive position has made them strong, and when the situation gets too dire, they can call upon other allies, not just upper beings, but also some Baerloths still loyal to Apomp, and of course the personal retinue of the Wardens, whose forces exist as crack units to turn the tide if the war gets too dangerous. The small number of gods who dwell in their domain will end their forces to fight if the situation becomes too dire, and any prolonged attack on their homeland inevitably falls apart as the Demons and Devils fight among themselves. A final trick they have is that Apomp can see through every single one of the obsidian triangles, which allows the Gehreleths a great organization advantage over their enemies.

Long term Goals “when in doubt, do nothing”- Go strategy.
Apomp like all of its kind, desires complete and total control over the multiverse, and is willing to do what ever it takes to receive it. However after the first three great plans failed disastrously, Apomp has adopted a new strategy…do nothing. No seriously, it is not that bad of an idea, worked against Hannibal. Apomp knows it has neither the strength nor the numbers to defeat the other lower races, let alone rule the planes. However it also knows that nothing lasts forever, and while at the moment it might look like the Gehreleths are a backwards force doomed to failure, the fact is every one of his enemies are engaged in a constant war against far greater forces, be it the blood war, the Qlippoth against the demons, the Brood wars, the Yugoloths vs. the Daemons, to the Devils/Demons against the Daemons, or even the internal fighting of Hell and the conquest of the Grey Wastes, there is always a chance that Apomp’s enemies might destroy each other. Only 1500 years ago it looked like the Gehreleths were about to breath their last, but the creation of Avernus and the return of the Daemons have allowed the Gehreleth to regain their lost territory and now are in a far stronger position than they have ever been in for thousands of years. However Apomp is by its very nature conservative, the Gehreleths have made very few moves to advance or take advantage of its position, rather they have consulate their forces and are now waiting for the next invasion. Apart from installing the 5 new Wardens and protecting them from external forces, and a tacit alliance with the Exiles of Acheron, Apomp is mostly just waiting and watching to see how things might play out. The Gehreleths can slowly build up their strength and who knows? Maybe the rest of the world will be two exhausted to fight them properly. Behind the scenes, his plan is a little more sinister. It involves threefold goals (duh). Firstly, the elimination of the Yugoloths, the arch enemies of the Gehreleths. Secondly, the weakening of the Daemonic control over the soul trade. Thirdly, the elimination or marginalization of the greatest long term planners in the Lower Planes. To tackle the last point first, Apomp has realized that the greatest threat to him in the long run are the great minds of the Lower Planes, Specifically the Demonic Trinity, Eblis, Asmodeus, Sataniel, Charon, the General, and the Regent of Hades. All of these forces have the long term foresight and brilliance that can risk making them into permanent great threats to the Gehreleths, and so Apomp’s goal is to remove them from the equation. To do this, his spy network have been busy trying to set them against each other, and spreading general misinformation to undermine their ability to make long term plans. Many of his schemes fail, but that doesn’t really concern Apomp, his long term goal is to destroy them, all he needs is one scheme to succeed. In the meantime, the Gehreleths are just trying to stay afloat until the time comes when their enemies are weak enough that they can swoop in and become the new dominant force of evil. For that purpose, Apomp has an emergency force of Advanced Shator Wardens kept in hibernation at all times, who will emerge as an emergency force to finally wipe the Yugoloths out once and for all. There are 18,963, led by an elite Shator with an extra 20 levels in Cleric, who exist just for this purpose, though they could easily serve as a final defense if Apomp really feels like his realm will be actively destroyed. While fairly small in numbers, its elite force could make Asmodeus elite army nervous.

Relationships with Mortals- Gehreleths have a rather strange relationship with mortals, one based on multiple complicated factors and the normal hang ups the vast intellect of a cosmic being interacts with a mortal. Basically mortals are tasty, NOM NOM NOM.

Gehreleth traits
Freedom of Movement, poison, acid, fear and divination to immunity, constant powers (see alignment, detect invisibility, telepathy, tongues, and detect polymorph). They can all also use Invisibility, Strength Drain, and Cloudkill 1/day at least. Finally they can all assume their body into a liquid form, and many store themselves in bottles to be thrown at enemies. They also have a unique power that if a mortal body is near by, they can temporarily turn it into another of their own kind, exactly the same except mindless. These “Leths” as they are called are basically like golems and serve as cannon fodder in the constant wars.

Types- Farastu, Kelabar, Arutar, Nasfaru, Shator, Slime, Tarry, Shaggy, Dyr’ryd, Shrieking terror, Terryleth, Slimeleth, Shaggyleth, Stringy Gehreleth, Stringy Leth.

I plan to add in the ideas of the prison plane mentioned earlier.