PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Raging Item Creation!

Aquillion
2007-04-08, 01:04 AM
From the SRD:

In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains... (yadda yadda)

He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.Why did they feel the need to specify this? In playtesting, were Barbarians sitting down and creating magic items while raging? Were there players who argued "It doesn't forbid me from creating magic items during a rage, therefore I can create any magic item during the 3 + con mod rounds it takes to rage instead of the multiple days it would take otherwise?" Since we can't scribe scrolls while raging, does this mean no Conan the Librarian?

...that line has just been bothering me ever since I first saw it, is all I'm saying. Given all the loopholes and problems in the rules, and all the things that aren't addressed that should be, why on earth did they take the time to note that barbarians are forbidden from doing something that takes, at a minimum, one day of peaceful work in a clean, well-lighted place during their, oh, say, one or two minutes of rage at most?

...and also, how would you argue to house-rule this away? Do you think a Barbarian / Artificer build who goes into rages in his workshop and hacks at materials until he has a suitable magic item is viable?

brian c
2007-04-08, 01:11 AM
Hm... I've never really done crafting, but is there any way at all that a higher strength score would help? That's the only thing I can think of.

Dhavaer
2007-04-08, 01:15 AM
Hm... I've never really done crafting, but is there any way at all that a higher strength score would help? That's the only thing I can think of.

No. The Craft skill is Int based, and the Creation feats aren't even that.

Douglas
2007-04-08, 01:18 AM
If you had enough constitution, you could theoretically keep raging for the full 8 hours per day required for item creation work. I have no idea how you'd get the 4800 constitution required short of extreme epic or something like Pun-Pun, but it is theoretically possible.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-08, 01:19 AM
I have this funny image in my head of a wizard that used to be a barbarian sitting down, trying to make a magic pair of shoes, when he suddenly hammers his own finger. He suddenly jumps up, drops an F-bomb, and destroys the whole shop with the chair he was sitting in.

Later, he looks back and says "Oh. Oh, that's why I'm not supposed to rage while performing delicate tasks."

brian c
2007-04-08, 02:41 AM
If you had enough constitution, you could theoretically keep raging for the full 8 hours per day required for item creation work. I have no idea how you'd get the 4800 constitution required short of extreme epic or something like Pun-Pun, but it is theoretically possible.

Well, there's also the Extend Rage feat from Complete Warrior: your rages last 5 rounds longer. Can be taken multiple times and stacks, no prereqs other than rage/frenzy class feature. There are also some magical items that increase rage duration. If a level 20 Human Barbarian used all of his feats on Extend Rage, that would be +40 rounds, besides whatever his rage duration is based on Con score. Still, 40 rounds is only 4 minutes, not enough to craft anything (and you'd have to leave one feat open for item crafting and then only +35 rounds).

Jasdoif
2007-04-08, 02:51 AM
Might have something to do with the rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm) spell and its concentration + rounds duration. In theory a wizard could cast rage on another caster, and concentrate on it indefinitely.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-08, 04:50 AM
Multiclass barbarian/caster, of course. Although raging would count as doing a stenuous (sp?) action, automatically ruining a day's work.

Falconsflight
2007-04-08, 04:53 AM
Might have something to do with the rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm) spell and its concentration + rounds duration. In theory a wizard could cast rage on another caster, and concentrate on it indefinitely.

Only as long as thtat Wizard was willing to have Rage cast on him.

Kantolin
2007-04-08, 06:09 AM
A raging wizard creating a magic item, however, has got to be one of the coolest mental pictures ever.

Hmm... can a Rage Mage use their spellrage while crafting? ^_^

Jasdoif
2007-04-08, 04:57 PM
Only as long as thtat Wizard was willing to have Rage cast on him.I see it happening like this during a playtest:

"Hey Mr. Wizard, how'd you like to have more hit points while you're adding that enhancement bonus to Mr. Fighter's Armor?"
"Sweet!"

Later, the barbarian's rage description was updated to disallow item creation feats.
A raging wizard creating a magic item, however, has got to be one of the coolest mental pictures ever.

Hmm... can a Rage Mage use their spellrage while crafting? ^_^While crafting a magic item? I don't see why not, Spell Rage doesn't reference the barbarian's rage and states no limitation on usable feats, only on skills.