PDA

View Full Version : WildShaper Core Class

fireinthedust
2007-04-08, 04:48 AM
In myth, in literature are a number of famous shapechanger heroes and anti-heroes. Loki, Zeus, Puck, Raven, all famous heroes whose main ability was to change their form. However, in Dungeons and Dragons there is no direct parallel in a Core class without some side-tracking in Druid or Wizard, something that inhibits the idea to a great degree.

This is my attempt at a solution.

Wildshaper

HD: d8 or d6
Skill ranks: 4+int x 4 at 1st, 4+int per level.Skills: Bluff, hide, move silently, jump, climb, diplomacy, disguise, escape artist, perform.

LevelMaximum sizeForm schoolWildshapes per daySpecial Spell-like abilities

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+x|+x|+x|Wildshape 1/day; max size (tiny); Lesser formschool; Shapechanger subtype; Monster Feats.
2nd|+1|+x|+x|+x|Lesser Formschool
3rd|+1|+x|+x|+x|Wildshape 2/day; Max size (small)
4th|+2|+x|+x|+x|Lesser Formschool
5th|+2|+x|+x|+x|Max Size (medium); Wildshape 3/day
6th|+3|+x|+x|+x|Subtype
7th|+3|+x|+x|+x|Greater Formschool; wildshape 4/day
8th|+4|+x|+x|+x|Max Size (large)
9th|+4|+x|+x|+x|Subtype; Wildshape 5/day
10th|+5|+x|+x|+x|Greater Formschool; Spell-like abilities (o-level)
11th|+5|+x|+x|+x|Subtype; Wildshape 6/day
12th|+6|+x|+x|+x|Unlimited duration Wildshape; Spell-like abilities (1st-level)
13th|+6|+x|+x|+x|Greater Formschool; wildshape 7/day
14th|+7|+x|+x|+x|Subtype; Spell-like abilities (2nd level)
15th|+7|+x|+x|+x|Max Size (Huge); Wildshape 8/day
16th|+8|+x|+x|+x|Greater Formschool; spell-like abilities (3rd level)
17th|+8|+x|+x|+x|Subtype; Wildshape 9/day
18th|+9|+x|+x|+x|Max Size (Gargantuan); Spell-like abilities (4th level)
19th|+9|+x|+x|+x|Greater Formschool; Wildshape 10/day
20th|+10|+x|+x|+x|Subtype; spell-like abilities (5th level)[/table]

Shapechanger subtype: At first level a Wild Shaper gains the Shapechanger subtype, and is considered a shapechanger as well as whatever other creature types they may have.

Monster skills and feats: A wildshaper can choose monster feats and skills from the monster manual and other monster-specific feats, such as Wingover and Snatch. They can use these feats in any form that would allow it and meets all pre-requisites, such as Wingover in any form that has wings. If a feat requires a particular creature type or subtype, the Wildshaper must have it and be in the form at the time of use.

Wildshape: Wildshapers learn how to take the forms of other creatures, to the exclusion of other class features like spell casting or skills. This works exactly like the druid ability of the same name, except for the following. A Wildshaper changes their creature type, becoming their new form as far as divinations or spellcasting are concerned. They gain all the forms special weaknesses, and most of its strengths and abilities. They take on a form’s physical attributes (strength, dexterity, constitution). A wildshaper retains their own mental ability scores (intelligence, wisdom, charisma), and skill ranks and feats, as well as base attack bonus, and any class features they may have in addition to Wild Shaper abilities. They do not gain any class abilities of their new form, only those traits and abilities specific to the race or creature itself. They are proficient in the new form’s natural attacks, but not weapon proficiencies.
For example, Jude the Wildshaper is 10th level and takes the form of an orc. His natural strength is 16, but he uses the score for a standard orc from the Monster Manual; he does not adjust his stats, but uses the physical body of a standard 1HD orc. If he enters combat, he is not proficient with any of the orc’s weapons, he does not gain any of it’s equipment, and he uses his own hp and attacks adjusted by the orc’s physical ability scores.
When in Wildshape, a Wildshaper cannot speak or cast spells unless the creature they Wildshape into has the ability to speak. They can communicate with other creatures of their type, such as birds when in bird form, and can understand common, but are limited in their ability to communicate using language.
Spellcasting: a Wildshaper can cast sorcerer spells or use psionics they may have from other class levels without restriction when in forms that cast spells or use psionics as if they had class levels. Example: a Rakshasa casts as an 8th level sorcerer, so while in Rakshasa form a Wildshaper may use any of their sorcerer levels as normal. However, they do not gain spellcasting levels or class levels while in a given form, so would not gain 8 sorcerer levels in the form of a Rakshasa, or older dragons, etc.

Energy Resistance and Damage Reduction: When in a form that has Damage Reduction or Energy Resistance, the Wildshaper gains it up to a certain point. A wildshaper gains one point of DR or ER per Wildshaper level, or the creature's own DR or ER, whichever is lower.

Items and Equipment: When a Wildshaper takes a given form, all equipment carried or worn becomes part of the new form. Magical items worn, such as rings, amulets and clothing, still grant their magical bonuses. However, the items themselves no longer appear on the new form: a Wild Shaper wearing +1 Platemail of Etherealness would not gain the +8 from the plate mail, but would still gain the +1 magical enhancement as well as the Etherealness special ability.

Maximum Size: This is the largest size the Wildshaper may take in any given form, regardless of their hit dice or Form Schools known.
Spell-like abilities and creature abilities
Wildshapers can take any form they wish, but certain monster special abilities and spell-like abilities are impossible to mimick until they reach a particular level. Any spell-like ability or special quality a creature has can only be used if the wildshaper can access spell-like abilities of that level. Examples include drow Faerie Fire (0-level), or a beholder's charm person eye ray (1st level). If a special ability is beyond the Wildshaper's ability, that power does not function, such as the petrifying gaze of a medusa which, at 7th level, cannot be used by a non-epic Wildshaper

Form Schools: Wild Shapers are limited in the types of creatures they may Wildshape into. A Wild Shaper must have the Form School for each type and subtype that a particular creature has: to become a Gold Dragon, they must have the Dragon advanced form school, as well as the Fire subtype. Each time a Wild Shaper gains a Type or Subtype, they have access to any creature with that type or subtype they have encountered or know of.

The different Form Schools are:
Lesser: Animal, Object, vermin, humanoid
Greater: giant, magical beast, fey, ooze, Outsider, Undead, Construct, Dragon, Aberration
Subtype: fire, cold, earth, air, water, aquatic, swarm, good, evil, chaotic, lawful.

Special rules for Creature Forms:
Lesser:
Animal: includes natural animals of all sorts, including dire and legendary types.
Object: the wildshaper becomes inert material, including stools, rocks, swords and other inanimate objects. They are conscious of their environment but can take no action other than to end their wildshape or take another form. They gain hardness appropriate to their form, maximum their level or the object’s hardness, whichever is lower. They are immune to disease, critical hits, and any saves requiring a Fortitude save, unless it also affects an object.
Vermin: The Wildshaper gains all vermin traits, except they are not mindless.
Humanoid: this includes Monstrous humanoids, as well as other races. When taking a form that is a player character race, do not adjust stats (such as -2 con +2 dex for elves), but rather use the standard ability scores presented in whatever source that particular race or creature is from. In addition, the Wildshaper appears how they would look were they a member of the given race, rather than mimicking a particular member of the race.

Greater:
Ooze: the Wildshaper is not considered mindless.
Outsiders: This includes elementals, celestials and fiends, and excepting Native outsiders, it requires at least on subtype. If slain, the Wildshaper reverts to their original form, and so can be raised, unlike an Outsider.
Undead: The Wildshaper gains all undead traits, except is not considered mindless and cannot be automatically destroyed by turning (although they can be damaged until they die).
Construct: The Wildshaper does not gain spell immunity, and is not mindless, but does gain all other construct traits.
Dragon: The Wildshaper can become a dragon of an age category up to his maximum for size, hit dice and whatever Types or Subtypes are also required.
Aberration

Subtypes:
Swarm: the Wildshaper can take on the swarm form of any creature type and subtype he has, such as Vermin swarms. He is limited to his Maximum size, such as large at 8th level, Huge at 15th, etc.
Aquatic: the Wildshaper can become fish and other aquatic creatures.
Alignments (Good, Evil, Chaotic, Lawful): the Wildshaper becomes the alignment of the Outsider in question. This may have an effect on class abilities from other classes the Wildshaper may have, such as monk or paladin special abilities. As well, simply being a creature with that powerful an alignment can have an effect on the Wildshaper’s own alignment. As such, Wildshapers often focus on one alignment area, such as Good and Lawful.
Energy Types (fire, cold, earth, water, air): When in a form using one of these subtypes, the Wildshaper is immune to that energy type, but becomes vulnerable to it’s opposite, taking double damage.

Example Wildshaper: (forthcoming)

Wildshaper Feats

Colossal Size (Epic):
Pre-requisites: Wildshaper Level 24+
Benefits: the wildshaper’s Maximum size becomes Colossal, although they must still meet all other pre-requisites for the given creature.

Wild Spell Resistance (Epic):
Pre-requisites: Epic Wildshaper
Benefit: the wildshaper gains spell resistance while in shapes that have it. They gain either the creature’s spell resistance, or 10+1/2 wildshaper level+cha, whichever is lower.

Fast Wildshape:
Benefit: the Wildshaper can change forms as a move action.
Normal: Wildshape is a standard action.

Quicken Wildshape:
Pre-requisitie: Fast Wildshape
Benefit: Wildshape as a free action
Normal: wild shape is a standard action.

Wildspeak:
Pre-requisit: ability to wildshape
Benefit: The Wildshaper can speak while in the form of a creature without speech, such as animals or vermin. They can cast spells with verbal components, although they are still limited to whatever movements their form can make for somatic and material components.

Extra Wildshape:
Pre-requisite: ability to Wildshape
Benefit: the Wildshaper can change shape one extra time each day.
special: this feat can be taken multiple times, it's effects stack

fireinthedust
2007-04-08, 04:56 AM
ok, and I have no idea how to do a graph on the site. suffice it to say... well, you get to wild shape once per 2 levels. You get a type or subtype every other level or so. You get a max size increase at 1st (tiny) 3rd (small) 5th (medium) 8th (large) 15th (huge) and 18th (gargantuan), with Colossal needing 24th level.

other than that, d8 HD, rogue Bab.

Triaxx
2007-04-08, 06:58 AM
All Hail Fax and her handy dandy table guide.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

I like the class though, it's got a decidedly more balanced flavor than a druid.

fireinthedust
2007-04-08, 07:42 AM
REally?! wow! No, that's great. I hear everyone say Druids are overpowered because of Wildshape, so I tried to make it more... acceptable to skeptical DMs.

I'll check the link and fix it up.

QUESTION: do you think it could be broken? Like, how would you make a nigh-unbeatable tank with it, and how would that tank stack with other tanks?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 07:52 AM
Loki shapechanges using Magic Items. Then again Norse Gods have rather limited power compared to other gods. Being a god or a fey helps most of the others.

I'd at least add Survival and Knowledge (nature) to the skill list. Give them spot and listen as well since this class makes a good scout. Probably give them more skills as well.

There are Prestige classes that already furfill a similar role but most of them have been left behind by 3.5. If you want a campaign where non-druids will be shapechanging all the time this class will be fine but at least consider the ramifications. You could have a whole army of level 1 wildshapers in such a world.

fireinthedust
2007-04-08, 09:10 AM
hypothetically, yes. thing is, they'd only be able to turn into tiny creatures with no spell-like abilities: animals/birds; inanimate objects; and humanoids that are tiny and have no special qualities. so you'd have half an army of falcons carrying the other half in stone form; but if they hit their foes with the rocks, the rocks would only soak 1 damage for level one; with only 8 hp, they couldn't be thrown more than 20 or 30 feet without being killed.

Good point on the skills; I just worry about packing loads of skills into a class with such open-ended special abilities. at low levels they make amazing scouts, but at higher levels my assumption is they're good meat shields. I could be wrong, however.

Did Loki use magic items? I never heard that. I know the dwarves made thor's hammer, and some sort of self-replicating gold ring (and the ring of rhinegold). Huh. have to doublecheck that.

What should I do for feats? should they get bonus Wildshaper feats or bonus monster feats?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 09:26 AM
Did Loki use magic items? I never heard that. I know the dwarves made thor's hammer, and some sort of self-replicating gold ring (and the ring of rhinegold). Huh. have to doublecheck that.

He has to borrow a shapeshifting cloak in order to turn into a bird. The ring was made up by Wagner and has nothing to do with mythology (but is just as relevant for a fantasy game). The Norse gods pretty much stay in power due to their magic items. That's why Frey dies so easily once he's lost his sword. Odin only has so powerful magic because he swapped his eye for it. Thor's strength comes from his gauntlets and belt.

There's a problem with starting as tiny. Tiny size can be an advantage. I'd start it at small and then allow Tiny and Diminutive with level up. HD is already a balancer so size isn't so important.

There's nothing wrong with giving them both monster and wildshape feats on their bonus feat list. If you're talking about bonus Epic Feats then you don't want to give them so tiny a list that they'd easily run out.

fireinthedust
2007-04-08, 10:50 AM
so Small, then maybe medium or Tiny? I kinda like the idea of a wizard level-dipping so they can turn into a hawk or raven.

what's the advantage of Tiny, exactly? I noticed that for Druids they need to be, like 10th level or so. It doesn't make sense to me. What are your thoughts?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 10:58 AM
so Small, then maybe medium or Tiny? I kinda like the idea of a wizard level-dipping so they can turn into a hawk or raven.

what's the advantage of Tiny, exactly? I noticed that for Druids they need to be, like 10th level or so. It doesn't make sense to me. What are your thoughts?

+2 on attack and armour class, +8 on hide checks. Small gap abuse. Can enter squares occupied by other characters. Remember that adventurers take these classes.

Also there's the common sense rule that it should be easier to shapeshift into something with similar mass.

fireinthedust
2007-04-08, 03:54 PM
gab?

the attack and AC I figured, but considering it's a class without armor proficiencies and only simple weapons, I'm not sure that'd come up without multiclassing. Even then, size tiny weapons? Unless you've got a vorpal nail clipper, I'm not sure it'd really do that much to an orc.

as for +8 to hide: that's not that big. Yes, it's basically free invisibility; but with the above in mind... what exactly can they do while size tiny? they're basically a really good scout at low levels and that's it... that and a useful paperweight (tiny inanimate object).

the similar mass bit I get. I'm sure gab is also important.

Also, while looking it over, I figure the stats will mostly be mental: since they use the phys attributes of the new form, not their own, it doesn't matter what their natural physical abilities are. Mental stats are the only ones that carry over. Therefore even if they do sneak behind an ogre while in kitten form, they'll do exactly the same amount of damage with their claws as they'd do in normal size with their nails. "ow! that stings; I think you broke the skin... no, I'm fine, never mind. Still, geez!"

fireinthedust
2007-04-09, 05:36 AM
in fact, one thing I noticed is that they don't have attributes that matter for their class abilities.

should I change that? Where could I fit in something that depends on their attributes? Maybe they could get bonus Wildshapes per day for a high... constitution or intellegence?

Also: I don't know what the saves should be. Or the Bab (I put it at half, when perhaps it should be 3/4)

Triaxx
2007-04-09, 07:47 AM
Druids are broken in two ways. WildShape, and Natural spell. Like so:

'I r teh leet wizzard! Fear my fireball.'

*druid shapeshifts into red dragon*
*casts entangle*
*steps on wizard*

fireinthedust
2007-04-11, 07:46 AM
Thanks Triaxx. What do you think of the OP wildshaper core class I made up? do you think the ref/fort saves should be good?

CabbageTheif
2007-04-11, 08:24 AM
i see these guys as the fighter druids. regular druids are heavy spellcasters, but these people are ment to use their wildshape to their fullest extent in combat. 3/4 bab should do fine.

as far as saves, erm...... well, they are getting in touch with their natural side, yes? that instantly says high fort to me, maybe also high ref. in the first few levels the wildshaper wont be able to fight well; i'd imagine that the mouse form would be used to spy and such. mayhaps ref should be the highest save, followed by fort, followed by a not-so-impressive wis.

i'm thinking the followin for class skills: everything you already have,, pluss handle animal. oh, and here is an interesting and usefull twist: at any time that a wildshaper can learn a new language, they can take one from a creature that they can wildshape into. i know that normally the WS can understand birds as a bird, but wouldn't it be cool if she could understand them while in her natural form as well?

i have been trying to develop my own version of this, but i was having trouble with it. your project here is exasctly what i was trying to develop, and i think i'm gonna use it. great job!

Neko
2007-04-11, 08:28 AM
Pretty interesting looking thats for sure.

fireinthedust
2007-04-11, 09:33 AM
thanks!

I agree about the saves. Ref, because shapechangers should be rogue-ish; and fort because they're likely to get hit over the head a lot at higher levels. Will should be low also, I think, because the shapechangers I've read about seem to have a thing with temptation (ie: ooooh, look at that pie/young maid/ golden apples; wouldn't it be fun to nick those...)

The balance seems good. I want to try it out in a game, and I think it should work.

Triaxx
2007-04-12, 08:12 AM
I agree, though personally I'd do Will>Ref>Fort. Have you ever read David Eddings? A lot of people don't like him, but he had some interesting ideas on shapeshifting.

fireinthedust
2007-04-12, 02:46 PM
heard of him, but can't find the first books of his series so I can't start. books with chess themes are cool, IMHO

Triaxx
2007-04-12, 07:15 PM
Try finding the Rivan Codex. It's a compliation of the thought processes used when starting them.

In short though, it was described as being inside the body of the creature, and having it's mind inside there with you.

fireinthedust
2007-04-13, 06:31 AM
so, if I became a wolf i would need will saves not to go wild and howl at the moon or something?

XtheYeti
2007-04-13, 07:31 AM
i think this should have good will save bad fort save and average reflex.
just how it came off to me

CabbageTheif
2007-04-13, 09:27 AM
well, if this is supposed to be like the druids wildshape then no, you wouldnt need to do that. if its supposed to be like the Animorphs, then yes, you would. but i think that you have done alot to make sure that this class cant become broken or abused; if you make a will save with dc based on hd or something, you should give something up like letting them go medium at first level, or having spell like abilities at an earlier level.

not that i dont like the idea, i just dont want you narf it accidentally.

oh, i was also thinking about how often you can wildshap. if a 1st level character is in a 1st level dungeon with a 1st level party and they need someone to scout ahead, is the wildshaper going to turn into a cat and stay that way for the rest of the dungeon because she doesnt want to turn back and be useless? i propose that someone can wildshape x + cha mod/per day, x being dictated by whatever level you are at. 1 at first, 2 at third, ect.

waddaya think?

handofme
2007-04-13, 06:14 PM
I've allways been a fan of shape shifting classes. However I see a slight problem with the quikend wild shape feat. If it works like the druids wildshape then you heal something like half your hitpoints each time you shift. And if you are abble to shift as a free action this allows you to heal yourself everyround with no side effect as you can just riftle trhoug 30 shapes as a free action before setteling on whatever shape you desire.

Vaynor
2007-04-13, 06:48 PM
I've allways been a fan of shape shifting classes. However I see a slight problem with the quikend wild shape feat. If it works like the druids wildshape then you heal something like half your hitpoints each time you shift. And if you are abble to shift as a free action this allows you to heal yourself everyround with no side effect as you can just riftle trhoug 30 shapes as a free action before setteling on whatever shape you desire.

You get HP as if you had rested for a night. What is that, like 2 HP? Even at 20th level you could only do it 10 times, which is definitely not 30 different forms.

oh, i was also thinking about how often you can wildshap. if a 1st level character is in a 1st level dungeon with a 1st level party and they need someone to scout ahead, is the wildshaper going to turn into a cat and stay that way for the rest of the dungeon because she doesnt want to turn back and be useless? i propose that someone can wildshape x + cha mod/per day, x being dictated by whatever level you are at. 1 at first, 2 at third, ect.

Then, of course, it would have to last a shorter period of time. At first level, this class is pretty useless anyway, what with the max size tiny. Once per day you can change into a hawk. You're better off just getting a sword and whacking stuff.

EDIT: Only way to truly fix it is by allowing medium at first level. I'd do medium-small-large-tiny-huge-gargantuan. The whole point is it's harder to shift past your natural size.

Also, to help this, make their shapechanging up to double your natural HD. I realize this is more powerful than a regular wildshape, but this is all they can do, it has to be better. So, at first level you could become a hyena and be useful, instead of being useless as a freakin' hawk. Or, alternatively, be a Medium Monstrous Scorpion by taking the vermin formschool. Much better.

Triaxx
2007-04-13, 07:32 PM
Well, in the original source, after a while, the character started to take on characteristics of the form, the longer he stayed in it. And since his chosen form was that of a wolf, he took on decidedly wolfish characteristics. Including the occasional urge to rip out a throat.

fireinthedust
2007-04-14, 02:57 AM
healing: as written they only change shape once per day per two levels, and it lasts an hour; at some level they'll get unlimited duration shape. They couldn't just heal themselves as a free action without giving up a lot of versatility.

1st level: they're not really useless. keep in mind they can fly at first level in raven form, and climb like crazy as a cat; that's huge. They can be a monkey!!!
As for hitting orcs, they have a better HD than rogues, can wear light armor, and use simple weapons. They also have hide and move silently as a class skill, so can position themselves to be helpful. They're about equivalent to a rogue without sneak attack, preferring instead the ability to change shape. That's huge!

I may up the HD, like give them a package of bonus HD at 10th, 14th and 18th levels. That and a feat doing that as well, but...

Keep in mind also that eventually they'll be able to do what druids can't: become aberrations, dragons, undead, giants, hydras, trolls, and various other magical cretures with awesome powers. They're not just animals, they're all sorts of baddies and critters with really powerful abilities and massive reach. Also they can wear a magic item in normal form and have it's effects on them in wildshape. You could have a belt of giant strength, a ring of acid resistance, a ring of fire resistance, and boots of flying; then (15th level) you turn into a Hydra with 12 heads and suddenly you're a flying nightmare. That's why I wouldn't want to give bonus HD, because with all the monster types and subtypes out there the PCs could get reeeeally powerful really fast.

Vaynor
2007-04-14, 03:35 PM
healing: as written they only change shape once per day per two levels, and it lasts an hour; at some level they'll get unlimited duration shape. They couldn't just heal themselves as a free action without giving up a lot of versatility.

1st level: they're not really useless. keep in mind they can fly at first level in raven form, and climb like crazy as a cat; that's huge. They can be a monkey!!!
As for hitting orcs, they have a better HD than rogues, can wear light armor, and use simple weapons. They also have hide and move silently as a class skill, so can position themselves to be helpful. They're about equivalent to a rogue without sneak attack, preferring instead the ability to change shape. That's huge!

I may up the HD, like give them a package of bonus HD at 10th, 14th and 18th levels. That and a feat doing that as well, but...

Keep in mind also that eventually they'll be able to do what druids can't: become aberrations, dragons, undead, giants, hydras, trolls, and various other magical cretures with awesome powers. They're not just animals, they're all sorts of baddies and critters with really powerful abilities and massive reach. Also they can wear a magic item in normal form and have it's effects on them in wildshape. You could have a belt of giant strength, a ring of acid resistance, a ring of fire resistance, and boots of flying; then (15th level) you turn into a Hydra with 12 heads and suddenly you're a flying nightmare. That's why I wouldn't want to give bonus HD, because with all the monster types and subtypes out there the PCs could get reeeeally powerful really fast.

Still, in a dungeon, yes, you could climb, or fly, but past that what else you can do? It is very useful, but it shouldn't be at first level, because they haven't built up that versatility at that point.

I think level+charisma modifier per day, for level+charisma modifier minutes, with the progression I posted earlier.

Triaxx
2007-04-14, 09:04 PM
In a dungeon? Shapeshift into a bat, and watch the enemy movements. They'll think you just another creature in the swarm. Then you can fly away, and report strength and arrangement. Need something from guarded room? Change into a rat, or raccoon, and steal it. If it's right size, and you have reptiles, turn into a snake, and swallow it. Or turn into a skunk, and let off a distinctly non-magical stinking cloud.

feollus
2007-04-14, 11:35 PM
I noticed that, for some reason, it doesn't seem that you ever listed whether this wildshape grants extraordinary abilities. Does the character get the extraordinary special qualities of the form it changes into? Supernatural abilities? Druids only gain the extraordinary special attacks of the forms they change into, according to the new errata. As it is, the wildshape doesn't seem to grant anything except for stat changes and spell-like abilities. Also, for some forms, would the character get spells? If someone changed into a rakshasa, would you want them to get 7th level sorcerer spellcasting at any level?

fireinthedust
2007-04-15, 05:24 AM
No spells gained in the new form, and the supernatural special abilities would be dependent upon how powerful they are. A medusa's petrifying gaze is the same as a stone-to-flesh spell. As such, they couldn't use it until they reach an appropriate level.
That said, perhaps I should make the SLA rate start earlier.

maybe add resistances in a given form: energy resistence of the creature, or 1/wildshaper level, whichever is lower. that way a 10th level wildshaper who becomes an outsider with cold resistance 20 could only use ER10. Same with damage reduction. I like that.

I think I'll keep the growth rates as is, if only because at first level they shouldn't be able to pummel anyone. it's a class that has a totally different play style than any of the others, being more about trickery and stealth, or thinking around a problem. starting size Tiny and building up to Gargantuan is huge, right? So i think it balances.

the level+cha mod is ok, tho. I like that, although the shifting should still only last an hour, not minutes (that's too brief for anything).