PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Dragonsoul Kobold (monster class)

qwertyu63
2015-02-28, 11:10 AM
This is actually my first attempt at making a monster class. Hopefully it works.
Dragonsoul Kobold:
It is said that sometimes a creature is born with the wrong soul. In most cases, this simply has a minor effect on the creatures personality; but when the new soul is a close fit for the body, it can result in drastic changes. The most common case of this is when a kobold is born with the soul of a dragon. These kobolds have most of the abilities possessed by full blooded dragons.

The dragonsoul kobold is meant to replace the fluff niche of the dragonwrought kobold; you could also ignore the kobold aspect of the race and use this race/class to play a dragon at a low ECL. A dragonsoul kobold must take their first three levels in the dragonsoul kobold monster class.

Base Dragonsoul Kobold:
- Small Dragon.
-- Darkvision (60 feet), low-light vision, immune to magic sleep and paralysis.
-- The Dragonsoul Kobold does not count as a true dragon.
- +2 Dexterity, –2 Strength.
- Base land speed of 30 feet.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d3+Str) and bite (1d4+half Str).
- +5 racial bonus to Jump and Intimidate.
- Jump and Intimidate are always class skills.
- Dragon Color: Each dragonsoul is linked to one of the ten main types of dragon; this links them to one energy type as follows:
-- Black, Copper, Green: Acid.
-- White, Silver: Cold.
-- Blue, Bronze: Electricity.
-- Red, Brass, Gold: Fire.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Undercommon.
- Dragonsoul kobolds are warmblooded.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer.
- LA +0

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st+1+2+2+2Dragon Scales, Glide.
2nd+2+3+3+3Energy Resistance, Frightful Presence.
3rd+3+3+3+3Breath Weapon, Flight, Sorcery.

Skill Points: 6+Int per hit die (x4 for first hit die).
Class Skills: The dragonsoul’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Spot (Wis).
Hit Die: d12.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Dragonsouls are proficient with their natural weapons, all simple weapons, heavy picks and light picks. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.

Dragon Scales (Ex):
The dragonsoul's dragon scales act to guard them from attack. They get a +1 natural armor bonus to armor class. When the dragonsoul reaches 4 hit dice, this bonus increases to +2.

Furthermore, when the dragonsoul reaches 8 hit dice, their scales harden further; they gain DR 2/magic.

Glide (Ex):
The dragonsoul can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Dragonsouls glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a dragonsoul’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A dragonsoul can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.

If a dragonsoul becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The dragonsoul descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.

Energy Resistance (Ex):
The dragonsoul is resistant to their own energy. Starting at level 2, they have energy resistance 4 to their linked energy type; this resistance is increased by 4 for every full 3 hit dice the dragonsoul has.

Frightful Presence (Ex):
The dragonsoul can have a unnerving effect on their enemies. Starting at level 2, whenever the dragonsoul attacks or charges, all opponents within a radius of 30 feet who have fewer Hit Dice than the dragonsoul are shaken for 1d6+Cha modifier rounds (Will negates; DC 10 + 1/2 dragonsoul's HD + Cha modifier).

A successful save indicates that the opponent is immune to the dragonsoul's frightful presence for 24 hours. Dragons are immune to the frightful presence of dragonsouls and vice versa.

Breath Weapon (Su):
Starting at level 3, the dragonsoul can unleash the power of their soul to inflict pain on their enemies in the form of a breath weapon. This breath weapon is a tightly focused line of energy. The line is 30 feet long and deals 2d8 damage of their linked energy type (Reflex for half; DC 10 + 1/2 dragonsoul's HD + Con modifier); this damage increases by 1d8 for every full 2 hit dice the dragonsoul has beyond the first 2 (e.g. 3d8 at 5 HD). A dragonsoul can use their breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.

Flight (Ex):
Starting at level 3, the dragonsoul can properly fly. They gain a fly speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). However, there are several major limits on how much they can use this fly speed:

-They can not fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
-They can only fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to their Con modifier (minimum 1 round). If they exceed this limit, they are fatigued. They can use gliding to extend their time in the air.
-They can only use this fly speed for a total of 1 minute per hit dice per day, divided as they see fit; time gliding does not count towards this limit. If they exceed this limit, they are fatigued.

At 10 hit dice, all of these limits are removed.

Sorcery:
Starting at level 3, the dragonsoul gains minor spellcasting. They gain spellcasting as a first level sorcerer. If they later take sorcerer levels, this level stacks to determine spells known, spells per day and caster level. In addition, they get Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.

At 6 hit dice, their magic grows more powerful; advance their sorcerer spellcasting by one level.

Vhaidara
2015-03-02, 10:48 AM
I was going to object to the +5 Intimidate, but then it occurred to me that it's a small race. So, realistically, it's only +1.

Please increase your racial modifiers at some point. Kobolds are nigh unplayable for non-casters because of their cripplingly awful physical scores. Now you get to invest three levels as well? make it not a punishment, please.

Breath Weapon needs a cooldown. And kind of blows. 3d8 in a 30ft line at 6? That doesn't improve to 4d8 until 9? And at 18 finally reaches a mighty 7d8?

qwertyu63
2015-03-02, 03:06 PM
I was going to object to the +5 Intimidate, but then it occurred to me that it's a small race. So, realistically, it's only +1.

I actually didn't know about that rule. I've learned something today.

Please increase your racial modifiers at some point. Kobolds are nigh unplayable for non-casters because of their cripplingly awful physical scores. Now you get to invest three levels as well? make it not a punishment, please.

I was actually worried the other aspects of the race were too good. I briefly considered using "+2 Dex, -2 Str" and calling it a day; but thought that might be too nice, given the rest of the race.

Breath Weapon needs a cooldown. And kind of blows. 3d8 in a 30ft line at 6? That doesn't improve to 4d8 until 9? And at 18 finally reaches a mighty 7d8?

Where did my cooldown run off to? I'll fix that. As for the damage, I think that was a copy-paste from several projects ago; I can bump it up some.

For a short time, I had the idea of the last level granting spells as a sorcerer level (and stacking with sorcerer levels if you took some later). Thoughts?

Vhaidara
2015-03-02, 03:15 PM
I actually didn't know about that rule. I've learned something today.

It's a +/- 4 for every size difference. So generally it will be -4 for a Small creature.

I was actually worried the other aspects of the race were too good. I briefly considered using "+2 Dex, -2 Str" and calling it a day; but thought that might be too nice, given the rest of the race.

Side note: those three levels are on the Dragon chassis (one of the best).

Remember, you have basically 3 RHD. Yes, they are solid RHD, but they still don't really compare to levels in any halfway decent class. Casters will never take it because of lost caster levels. And the thing is, a net -4 to ability scores is awful, especially since one of the penalties is to Con. From my perspective, that basically counts double (since EVERYONE needs Con badly).

It doesn't help that I prefer PF as a balance point for races (where the standard is +2 instead of +0 net adjustment)

For a short time, I had the idea of the last level granting spells as a sorcerer level (and stacking with sorcerer levels if you took some later). Thoughts?

That would make it far more interesting. Any number of martial classes would love to pick up one level or Sorc casting without needing a level of Sorc. With better stat mods, I could see running DS Kobold 3/WF SLT Barbarian 1/Warblade 16.

qwertyu63
2015-03-14, 08:20 AM
Alright, I have added the Sorcery class feature. I have also added a feat to make being a Dragonsoul Sorcerer hurt a little bit less, with only 1 level lost.

EDIT: Sigh. Add in the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage which, being kobolds, these guys can use, and you have lost no levels. This might be a bit much. Thoughts?