PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Xaspian
2007-04-09, 10:14 AM
Now, I expect that this has probably been done before, and will probably be done again, but I can't find one, so...

Why did you choose your username? Similar to a RL name? 'Borrowed' from a favourite book, film or game? A nickname that stuck? Taken from a quote? Or maybe completely original.

As for myself, it's a corruption of Caspian. I had re-read the Narnia series recently, and Caspian was a favourite character. Caspian the Tenth, so Caspian X. And X and C are next to each other on the keyboard...
So I was Caspian for a while, but it got mistyped. I prefered the typo to the original, so stuck with Xaspian, which I now use on most of the forums I go on.

Now, how about you?

Dihan
2007-04-09, 10:15 AM
I couldn't think of a name...

Goblin Music
2007-04-09, 10:25 AM
just a fancy and an anti-rollplayer name

Last_resort_33
2007-04-09, 10:26 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37037

KaCHING!

it's still on page one

Xaspian
2007-04-09, 10:28 AM
Whoops... Guess this one needs closing then. Sorry!

Although mine had a better title... =P

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-09, 10:29 AM
Mine sort of comes from an old D&D character which I loved to play, named Zeb, for short. I pretty much assumed that as my nom de web. Then (much) later on I started playing an MMO called Dark Age of Camelot and noticed I had an affinity for playing trolls. Since so many people started taking zeb or Zeb as screen names, and I didn't want to be Zeb1234, I went with Zeb The Troll.

There you go, in a nutshell.

EDIT: Hmmm. I saw a difference between "What does it mean?" and "How/why did you choose it?" I never posted on the "What does it mean?" thread because it doesn't mean anything. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs.

zeratul
2007-04-09, 05:31 PM
I hose my name to pay tribute to my favourite starcraft character "zeratul".
The character leads the exiled "dark templar". I'd always identified wit the character thus the name.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-09, 09:26 PM
because the tick rules. the animated series if anyone is wondering.

EmeraldRose
2007-04-09, 09:31 PM
SPOON!! :smallbiggrin:

Nebo_
2007-04-09, 11:28 PM
Nerothos, the name I used to use for gaming and whatnot and Hobo, my brother's gaming name, were put together for a UT 2v2 competition. I liked it, so I changed my gaming name to Nebo, the _ is because Nebo was taken. We won the UT comp btw :D

Syka
2007-04-10, 12:15 AM
This is the evolution:

Psycho->Syko->Syka. The last step is the feminization of the middle one, because I was in Latin and all "Ouu, I'm female so I'll tack an 'a' on there!" :D

Setra
2007-04-10, 01:26 AM
When I was much younger I created a character called Kakan, who was of the race Setra (I name I made up out of the blue), they were a race of Magic Users with dragon tails, who were supposed to be rivals of the Saiyajins (I liked DBZ a lot back then).

Eventually I evolved the race, and eventually made a yahoo screen name setra_prince_kakan for roleplay. Most people called me Setra, hell, my Dad actually put 'Setra Prince' on my Birthday cake as a joke.This depressed me, but don't tell him
Of course without the 'prince' part, people often mistake me for a girl (not to mention my penchant for playing female characters).

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-10, 08:08 AM
Hunter Rose is the Altar Ego of Grendel (a villian that was created by Matt Wagner). I am a big fan of Matt Wagner and I though this was cool way to show it because only people interested in the character would actually get the name. Plus this was my handle on the News Askew board where I used to post allot in the late '90's (I'm a big Kevin Smith fan also). Ever since then I've just been using this as a handle.

There's a local computer gaming center near me where my user name is Hunter_Rose so now most of the staff there calls me Hunter when I come in to play. I kinda like it.

Zephra
2007-04-10, 02:12 PM
Zephra: the feminin version of Zephyer, the god of the east wind/a light sea breeze

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-10, 05:39 PM
Tribbles are cuddly little balls of fur whoes sole use is being cute. Vorpal means deadly/abnormally dangerous/likely to take your head off.

So I'm normally a big, fluffy guy... but don't make me use my teeth :smallamused:

The Orange Zergling
2007-04-10, 05:42 PM
Before the board change, my avatar was set to a zergling made by Pumpkinetics. Then, when it switched software, I had to make a new account, so I went by the username I had most recently.

Call_me_Fate
2007-04-10, 05:46 PM
I was always the DM in my gaming group. My friends started to call me 'Mistress Fate' since I controlled the destinies of their characters. One day, I finally said "Just call me Fate" and it stuck. Even in High School the teachers called me Fate. Kinda weird, and worth many teases, but hey...

The_Chilli_God
2007-04-10, 05:50 PM
Why, the old Chilli God gave me my immortal powers, and since most gods are nameless (such as the God of Tissue Paper, or the God of Cheese Fondue), I felt compelled not to give me true name out to the population. After all, they could use it for nefarious purposes.

I am The Chilli God, so I calls myself The Chilli God.

Seriously, now.

Okay, this dates back to the times when I was a complete amateur at making sprite comics (The sort that 8-bit Theatre is like).
Well, I'm still an amateur at making such comics, and I probably will remain so. But still.

Anyway, the first character in the comics that I made, had an obsession with chilli. This was funny, because chilli is a random food, and spouting random foods is funny. Double-meaning, because the character that my character was spoofed off, had powers over fire. And chilli is hot.
Roughly at comic #21, the character started worshipping the god of chilli. After all, if there's chilli, then there's a chilli god. It's, like, a rule or something.

This spontaneous worship of chilli and the chilli god went on for a while until I got bored with my former username, since it was rather childish. I got this lovely idea that I could be the god of chilli that the character reveres, since it's a nice boost to my ego, and it's very original (if you google "The Chilli God," roughly the top five results are all me). At about comic #69, I shoved in a little 'interlude,' proclaiming my name change.

Strangely enough, my name is almost never referred to as "The Chilli God," anyway. It's either "Chilli," "Chili," "Chilli God," "Chili God," "The Chili God," or "TCG." Once, I've even been called "Chili Dog," and another time, "The Chill of God."
Go figure.

The Great Skenardo
2007-04-10, 05:51 PM
Essentially it goes like this:
Sneakerhead Glint -> Hoagie Skenardo -> The Great Skenardo

Space-Is-Curved
2007-04-10, 06:06 PM
Hmm....

Space. Is. Curved.

Means what it says. Just ask that smart German guy...

But seriously, this is my favorite of my few nom de webs. I chose it years ago because it was my favorite response to just about any question. e.g. "Why do birds fly south for the winter?" "Because space is curved. Go away." Or maybe, "Why did you pick that screen name?" "Because space is curved."

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 06:14 PM
Fax Celestis--which means "meteor" in Latin--was a character I played in a high school D&D game. When it got to the point that people that didn't play D&D at all, let alone with my group, started calling me Fax, I picked it up for my own. Now (http://fax-celestis.deviantart.com) I (http://www.myspace.com/faxcelestis) use (http://fax-celestis.livejournal.com) it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=5644) everywhere. (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/index.html)

One_Wolf
2007-04-10, 06:24 PM
A wolf can only survive in a pack.

Many people glorify the concept of the "lone wolf" but in truth a lone wolf will eventually die without its pack.

Thus I am NOT a lone wolf. I am one wolf amongst many wolves.

In other words, you all are my pack. Like it or not.

-One Wolf

Saurous
2007-04-10, 06:29 PM
Well, my name came about a year or two ago when I was playing an online game called Blockland (Please tell me someone out there has heard of it). One of my friends was playing, and he was very big with Star Wars references, and he built a Sith academy. I played along with it, and he gave me the name "Darth Saurous", and it kind of stuck. So, now I use it with several names in different places.

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-10, 11:06 PM
Tribbles are cuddly little balls of fur whoes sole use is being cute. Vorpal means deadly/abnormally dangerous/likely to take your head off.

So I'm normally a big, fluffy guy... but don't make me use my teeth :smallamused:Heh heh, you made me say it. That's "The Trouble With Tribbles (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/TOS/detail/68744.html)".

Strangely enough, my name is almost never referred to as "The Chilli God," anyway. It's either "Chilli," "Chili," "Chilli God," "Chili God," "The Chili God," or "TCG." Once, I've even been called "Chili Dog," and another time, "The Chill of God."
I'm never gonna see your name as anything other than The Chili Dog now. :smallsmile:

WingedCheetah
2007-04-10, 11:22 PM
I use this name for just about everything. It's very special to me!

For one, cheetahs are my favorite animal! Some have called it my 'totem' or 'spirit' animal, and though I don't know enough about either, I can say I strive to be as elegant and powerful as the cheetah, and yet I tire quickly and don't like confrontation, so we already have something in common. :-)

This cheetah is winged because wings to me symbolize freedom and independance. When I first came up with this SN, it was orignally Thundercheetah, to reflect my obsession with storms, but Winged came about after a bad relationship where my individuality was squelched. :-p Wings = freedom to be myself.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-10, 11:29 PM
*hugs*...aye, wings are amazing. *flags his (imaginary) ones*...I would give just about anything to have them...*sighs*...

Da Beast
2007-04-10, 11:46 PM
I was using a name generator to name a character when this one poped up and I liked the sound of it. I looked it up and it is the
Latinized form of a Celtic name (or title) that possibly meant either "king, prince" or "raven".

I haven't actually gotten to play the character yet, but I plan to this summer.

Dragonrider
2007-04-11, 01:11 AM
I like dragons. :smallbiggrin:

Long story short. The Dragonrider's name is Elithia and the dragon is Mireth. Not intentionally Anne McCaffrey-esque or anything. I use "Elithia" as a screen name as well, but not as often as just...Dragonrider.

Setra
2007-04-11, 02:52 AM
I like dragons. :smallbiggrin:

Long story short. The Dragonrider's name is Elithia and the dragon is Mireth. Not intentionally Anne McCaffrey-esque or anything. I use "Elithia" as a screen name as well, but not as often as just...Dragonrider.
I like them more!

>.>

Rykaj
2007-04-11, 03:33 AM
Rykaj was my favorite character on a MUD I was wildly hooked on for about 7 years. And he was the best damn druid around, using the ugly subobtimal race of 'human' nonetheless. Hah laugh at my so-called inferior humanity when you are being chewed up by locusts, scum!

I use this name only for geeky purposes :) I value the anonimity of the internet greatly, and I doubt more than three people who know me are aware that I use the name Rykaj on the internet.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-04-11, 04:44 AM
Umm, because my very first magic item that I got from my very first TRPG was a bag of holding? I sold it. :smallamused:

Hey, what's the use of a bag of holding to a 1st-level druid?

Exachix
2007-04-11, 04:49 AM
Zephra: the feminin version of Zephyer, the god of the east wind/a light sea breeze

I always belived it was Zephyr, not Zephyer. Ah well.

The name I go by:
Exachix - Shortened version of:
Exachix Prolari Zephyr (Or Exachix Polari NorZilliar in Town)
Exachix is just a name I made up.
Polari is derived from Polaris, The Pole Star. (Guiding Star)
Zephyr is, as Zephra said, the god of the east wind.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-11, 05:02 AM
Umm, because my very first magic item that I got from my very first TRPG was a bag of holding? I sold it. :smallamused:

Hey, what's the use of a bag of holding to a 1st-level druid?

Holding stuff?

...erm... >.>

Bag_of_Holding
2007-04-11, 05:07 AM
Holding stuff?

...erm... >.>

Touché. :smalltongue:

Alissea
2007-04-11, 05:13 AM
Alissea is the main character from my fantasy novel, which I published on my blog :smallsmile: She is a sorceress travelling with 5 more adventurers, who are all a bit nuts.... except for her of course, a woman`s always gotta keep her sanity among bard, necromancer, druid, fighter and a thief :smallbiggrin:

And Jannex made my avatar here according to her appearance in the novel! :smallredface:

Mr. Moon
2007-04-11, 12:51 PM
Moon Called was my first RP Character every, and very diffrent than the one in the Town. I don't use her anymore, but I continue using her name as mine so I don't forget her.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-11, 01:21 PM
Random alliteration from a Halo 2 game, I needed a name and everyone else was ready to play.

Narmoth
2007-04-11, 02:40 PM
What's in a name?
Well, if you are lucky, it smells of roses even when it's known by another name

Khantalas
2007-04-11, 02:45 PM
Really random elven name. Well, half-elven. I wanted to create a sword-fighting half-elven mage. Back in the last days of 2nd Edition. I named him Khantalasa.

Later, I got my hands on BG 2, and without thinking about the earlier character, I named my half-elven fighter-wizard Khantalas.

Used it ever since.

20thLevelGeek
2007-04-11, 02:49 PM
Mine was a user-name on a few online games, to pronounce to others what my class and level would be, if real life used D&D classes. I hoped that it would cause others I met or chatted with to start up a D&D conversation with me. It attracted a few people and started up some nice conversations about gaming and our current or past campaigns. I liked it and kinda have stuck with it over the years.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-11, 02:59 PM
Adaptation from the futuristic cyberpunk Anarki in Quake III. I have always approved of anarchy in a vaguely hopeful sort of way, and was looking for a spelling of it that hadn't been taken, so I just went for one with lots of repeated letters.

It looks kinda nasty, and is horribly mangled into infinite permutations, but I like it. I've considered abbreviating it to Anarki, though.

Zydecholyte
2007-04-11, 05:40 PM
Main Entry: zy·de·co
Pronunciation: 'zI-d&-"kO
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
: popular music of southern Louisiana that combines tunes of French origin with elements of Caribbean music and the blues and that features guitar, washboard, and accordion

Main Entry: ac·o·lyte
Pronunciation: 'a-k&-"lIt, -kO-
1 : one who assists a member of the clergy in a liturgical service by performing minor duties
2 : one who attends or assists : FOLLOWER

And the "ch" because I misspelled it. :smallfrown:

I chose this name because I am originally from New Orleans

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 05:43 PM
Main Entry: zy·de·co
Pronunciation: 'zI-d&-"kO
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: perhaps modification of French les haricots beans, from the Cajun dance tune Les Haricots Sont Pas Salés
: popular music of southern Louisiana that combines tunes of French origin with elements of Caribbean music and the blues and that features guitar, washboard, and accordion

Main Entry: ac·o·lyte
Pronunciation: 'a-k&-"lIt, -kO-
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Medieval Latin; Anglo-French, acolit, from Medieval Latin acoluthus, from Middle Greek akolouthos, from Greek, adjective, following, from a-, ha- together (akin to Greek homos same) + keleuthos path
1 : one who assists a member of the clergy in a liturgical service by performing minor duties
2 : one who attends or assists : FOLLOWER

And the "ch" because I misspelled it. :smallfrown:

You could get it changed?

Zydecholyte
2007-04-11, 06:01 PM
Buh?
As in make an alt and delete this one, or is there a way to change my sr?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 06:03 PM
The Official Name Change Request Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28898), courtesy of Board Administration.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-11, 06:11 PM
Innis is from .hack, the mirage of decit, like the name and title so innis stuck, Cabal is the last name from my first character Tebryn so i just added them

Raistlin1040
2007-04-11, 07:16 PM
Raistlin was taken. The bastards. And in case anyone cares, it's Raistlin ten forty, not Raistlin one oh four oh. Just for the record.

Hazkali
2007-04-13, 07:47 AM
Hazkali is dwarvish for "Young Warrior", taken from here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/dwarfs/language/4/). I used to be a big Games-Workshop fan, before their prices went crazy and they shut down their message boards. Their boards were the first I ever joined, and I've taken the name ever since.

Dispozition
2007-04-13, 08:15 AM
I've recently found out that this is an old screen name that one of my friends used...I stole it :P

Khayankh
2007-04-14, 11:53 PM
The letter chet in the Hebrew alphabet is written in English as Ch, H, or very rarely Kh, and is the first sound in Hannukkah (or Chanuka or Khanukka). There's a symbol called the Chai (or Khay or Khai or Hai) that means 'Life' and is very similar in Hebrew to the symbol for G-d, therefore it is a Jewish religious symbol that celebrates not merely reverence for faith but also for joy and life. The Ankh was initially an ancient Egyptian symbol for life that was later adopted by several Pagan groups as a religious symbol. I am fascinated by the parallels in Paganism and Judaism, and I've also realized that the symbols can be interlocked. (Align the lowermost point on the Ankh with the lower right corner of the Chai - they fit together.)
Ergo, I am Khayankh. The Chai and Ankh stuck together are the best visual representation of my personal views on religion that I've found so far.

Mr_Saturn
2007-04-15, 12:17 AM
I have a habit of naming my account after my avatars. My first avatar was ness&mr.saturn

Tada.

Then later i regret it since i could have made it cooler.

Extra_Crispy
2007-04-15, 05:18 AM
I was seriously burned in a car accident, was basically fried alive by over 14K volts of electricity and then burned by a gas fire, thus I am extra crispy. Well done just does not sound the same. :smallwink:

Got the name one day while agrivating a friend who was talking about someone else with the same first name as me. Well he got agrivated enough and to tell the difference between us he yelled "Fine, he is original recipe and you are extra crispy" I laughed so hard I cried, so did everyone else. Lots of people either think I am wierd, or think that was mean to call me that but I found it funny and have used it many times since

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-15, 05:29 AM
Me? I couldn't think of anything else and my normals were taken. So I chose this.

Hranat
2007-07-22, 09:58 AM
I used my grandfathers name, it's Ukrainian, because it had a fantasy ring to it.

AslanCross
2007-07-22, 10:03 AM
This is the name I made for an original character back in the early days of college, conveniently "borrowed" from Chronicles of Narnia.

TruenuffTrey
2007-07-22, 10:51 AM
Truenuff is one of my favorite Webcomics (along with OotS) and my friends decided that I was most like Trey, one of the characters.

Incidentally, I just realized that my name wasnt JollyGreenGiant after the boards switched. Granted, I only started posting again a few days ago.

Sisqui
2007-07-22, 04:04 PM

So I'm normally a big, fluffy guy... but don't make me use my teeth :smallamused:

Somehow, I've always thought your username was a way of flaunting being immune to vorpal weapons because tribbles have no necks....... Oh, well, cuddly death works too :smallbiggrin:

Sean92k
2007-07-22, 04:15 PM
Real life name: Sean
Year of birth: 1992
Last Initial: Kenny

Siwenna
2007-07-22, 04:53 PM
Siwenna was the first D&D character I played. She was a druid mage and pretty awesome. She was a druid/mage and was up to levels 3/8 when half the party was killed. The DM moved away shortly thereafter and the rest of the group fell apart. Siwenna is a random planet in Asimov's Foundation series, which is where I got the name originally.

Pyro
2007-07-22, 05:11 PM
A couple years back whenever my family would need to light anything on fire I was the one who always wanted to. Thus my brother called me "such a pyro" alot and I thought it was funny and have use it for screen names since.

Sir_Norbert
2007-07-22, 05:26 PM
Norbert was one of my gaming characters. He never actually had the right to call himself "Sir Norbert", but what the heck.

Ceres
2007-07-22, 05:36 PM
I didn't really want this name at all :smalleek: The roman goddess of agriculture? Not really what I wanted, but then "Illuminaughty" was already taken, and since I was initially only planning to post just a couple of my homebrewes I figured the name wouldn't matter much.

In my campaign, Ceres is the dark god of the sea, the moon and the unnatural, but I'm really regretting it now. Too bad there is no way to change your account name :smallannoyed:

ForzaFiori
2007-07-22, 05:54 PM
m=Michael (first name)
f=Fiori (last name)
11=my jersey # in soccer

its the sn i use for just about everything.

LCR
2007-07-22, 05:55 PM
My initials.

Ceska
2007-07-22, 05:58 PM
... but I'm really regretting it now. Too bad there is no way to change your account name :smallannoyed:
Really? I always liked Ceres, and the name.

Mine is just my initials, boring as that.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-22, 06:06 PM
Quirinus Obsidian is the name of my first real spellcaster; a cleric (animator)/sorcerer(blaster)Mystic Theurge. Worked relatively well for a time. He also is the last living male of his line. He has a sister (Serraniea Obsidian) that is currently on the Dread Necromancer path; following in her brothers and fathers path.

The name Quirinus is the name of an ancient Holy Roman saint that purported to be a vampire, and Obsidian is a name that I needed to think of that sounded cool. He did like volcanoes and fire....

Ceres
2007-07-22, 06:22 PM
Really? I always liked Ceres, and the name.

Mine is just my initials, boring as that.

Ah, well thanks. I guess I'll manage. If I'd used my initials it would probably cause some confusion. KEØØ would be a strange nick indeed :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2007-07-22, 06:36 PM
I think I said this on the other thread as well. I'm just gonna let you all figure out what my name means... :smallamused:

B-Man
2007-07-22, 06:42 PM
I think I said this on the other thread as well. I'm just gonna let you all figure out what my name means... :smallamused:

It means that you are a well-shaven, well-odoured suit 'n' tie guy, right? :smallcool:

And I think awhile I ago I did explain the meaning of my name... so... get digging folks! That is assuming you wish to know the meaning behind this name. *shrug*

Delaney Gale
2007-07-22, 08:08 PM
Delaney is the wizard/archmage I made for what was supposed to be a one-shot campaign. I was like, "hmm, I miss my best friend and his penchant for playing slightly nutty NE mages". So I made a slightly nutty NE mage named Delaney (his middle name), with the last name Gale (the name of the nutty NE mage he used to introduce me to D+D in 10th grade).

Then the party from the one-shot met up with our regular party, and Delaney decided to stick with them (strength in numbers). Then I gave him a personality. Then the next thing I knew he was on my doorstep with his bags and demanding to move in with me. He's a pretty good roommate- he doesn't mind sleeping on the couch, he never leaves the toilet seat up, and he confines his burnt sacrifices to dark deities to the porch. Since he's imposing on my hospitality here, I'm returning the favor by taking on his moniker and blending our personas (see the avatar) on GiTP.

Lemur
2007-07-22, 08:20 PM
It was the second word that came to my head while I was registering. I vetoed the first.

Sisqui
2007-07-22, 08:24 PM
Comes from Sisquinanamook, a character who was a very small warrior "princess" of the Qanuc tribe in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams.

It was the second word that came to my head while I was registering. I vetoed the first.

Do tell......

nerulean
2007-07-22, 08:27 PM
In a long and convoluted story of communal creation, a race of enormous alien dogs with telepathic links to their masters was created. It wasn't a natural thing, though: they had to be bred for the purpose and have all sorts of messing around with their brains done, and someone had to do the messing. We ended up calling those aliens Neruleans. Here's a picture of one, back from several years ago:

http://ewancient.lysator.liu.se/pic/art/p/i/piancastelli/bbneruleancol.jpg

I use the name because I like the sound of it. I avoid the capital letter to avoid the association in my mind with that blue guy and his crazy, crazy outfit.

SDF
2007-07-22, 08:31 PM
Short, simple, linux, giant robots.

FdL
2007-07-22, 08:37 PM
Short, simple, linux, giant robots.

As in Super Dimensional Fortress?

Lemur
2007-07-22, 08:57 PM
Do tell......

It's really nothing that interesting. It was some dinosaur name, like Parasaurolophus, I don't remember exactly. In any case, it was awfully long and probably fairly obscure.

In my defense, I had been to the natural history museum recently, so dinosaurs and small primates just happened to occur to me. Usually I cause myself a lot of strain trying to come up with names, but I decided not to bother with that for once.

Since then I've decided to roll with it. Although my current avatar has awfully short limbs, I think.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-22, 09:05 PM
Hell Puppi...because I love hell hounds but I'm more of a puppified version.

The 'I' on the end came from a few things, one was my online handle used to be 'The Gun Bunni' or 'Sniper Bunni' from playing DoD. My friends got so used to this name that when I changed it to Hell Puppi I got yelled at. I decided to stick with it anyway.

Also Hell Puppi because of an awesome drawing by a woman named Gilda who drew a sexy hell hound female...and Alucard from Helling's hell hound abilities. Those things are fricken' sweet.

Zarrexaij
2007-07-22, 09:11 PM
I originally chose my name for TESF (The Elder Scrolls Forum, the official one, which is now Bethesda Gaming Studio Forums), hoping it would sound Daedric-y because I was roleplaying on the forums as a Dark Seducer. Well, it stuck, and I'm never changing it. It's very unique, very recognizable, and very rememberable.

FdL
2007-07-22, 09:15 PM
Well, I think I've posted this before, but FdL are my initials.
I wrote the D lowercase because visually it fits the space under the capital F.
My first name is Felipe, pleased to meet you.

(BTW it doesn't have to do with "leet" talk and their random alternating of upper and lowercase, I've been using it since my first day "online", and tell you, leet talk wasn't even around back then)

Ranis
2007-07-22, 09:51 PM
A while back, I was heavily into boffering, but an extremely regulated form of boffering, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Anyway, I had this knack for picking only two daggers in giant melees and stabbing many backs repeatedly when people were engaged with others, earning me the nickname "Ranis the Crazy Ninja." Crazy I guess because I'd often get myself killed getting a double-kill. Teehee.

I have no idea where Ranis came from, but I use it for everything now.

Namaste123
2007-07-22, 10:05 PM
I made this name because it has alot to do with peace, and I'm all for that, (Except in video games =P), namaste in original indian means "I bow to the god within you", usually used as a peaceful greeting. :smalltongue:

Mattarias, King.
2007-07-23, 02:01 AM
Mine is that of my main character. In D&D and otherwise. Completely original. You'll know my book when publish it. :smallwink:

Em Blackleaf
2007-07-23, 02:21 AM
Okay, this one's easy.

Em is short for my real first name, Emily.
Really it's sort of a nickname that my brothers started calling me when I was younger, and it sort of stuck.

Blackleaf is just the last name thing that my brother has on these forums, Krimm Blackleaf.

Also, I made the account at two in the morning and I wanted to make something up quick.

SDF
2007-07-23, 02:26 AM
As in Super Dimensional Fortress?

Yes :smallcool: Robotech was my favorite childhood show, and a big reason I love aviation so much.

Orzel
2007-07-23, 02:58 AM
Orzel is the name of 6 of my characters (all clones)

Asked a friend if they should be named Jon Jr. or Zel. The idiot said "Or zel".

Conrad Poohs
2007-07-30, 05:07 AM
Conrad Poohs and his dancing teeth :smallbiggrin:
Monty Python of course! Terry Gilliam at some of his simplistic random best!

Serpentine
2007-07-30, 05:36 AM
=.=
Wha hullo thar Mr Fezzy McKiltipants :smallbiggrin:

Oh, my name. I like it, default name for fantasising, etc.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-07-30, 05:53 AM
Some crap I thought up when I wanted to join the forums.

It's now my default.

Jimmy Discordia
2007-07-30, 05:53 AM
Well, some time ago I declared myself a demigod and younger brother to Eris, known to the Romans as Discordia. I figured "Jimmy" was a good "little brother" name.

Maerdred
2007-07-30, 09:09 AM
Maerdred came about about a year ago when my former name of choice was already used when I tried creating a character in World of Warcraft. Maerdred is as close to Mordred that I could get. Mordred being a name I had only seen in Stephen King's Dark Tower series previously, and I thought, a cool name to stand on it's own.

Now, I looked up the name after I chose it and found that Mordred was from Arthurian Legend, and Mr. King's Mordred was basically the same as Arthur's Mordred, so I'm not the only person who's stolen the name... Though I changed the spelling.

In my mind, Maerdred has taken on many different forms, none of which seem to be in fittnig with his Namesake, who - as legend has it - was the traitorous, bastard son of our Hero. Maerdred's most prominent form is of course that of my WoW character, a Druid healer (distancing himself from his namesake's traitorous ways, no doubt).

I haven't fully written him a backstory, but I will get to it some day.

Mephibosheth
2007-07-30, 09:54 AM
"Mephibosheth" (and variations thereof - you'd be surprised how often plain ol' Mephibosheth is taken) is the name I use for all my online identities.

The name "Mephibosheth" is Hebrew and means "one who destroys shame." I have done many things in my life that I'm ashamed of, so the meaning of the name appealed to me.

I stumbled upon the name "Mephibosheth" in the book of 2 Samuel in the Old Testament of the Bible. Mephibosheth is the son of Jonathan, son of Saul (the first king of the Israelites). Mephibosheth got caught up in the power struggle between Saul and David, and was injured as a child during a nighttime flight, leaving him crippled for life. After the war was over and David had emerged victorious, Mephibosheth was the last member of the line of Saul to survive. David took care of Mephibosheth and invited him to take a place of honor in his household not because of Mephibosheth's own merit but because of David's friendship with Jonathan. I feel like I have been given so many wonderful gifts that I don't do anything to deserve, so the story of Mephibosheth resonates with me as well as the meaning of the name.

Finally, I am a Christian and my faith is extremely important to me. I see the relationship between Mephibosheth and David as being something of a metaphor for the relationship between me and God in some ways.

So there. That's the story behind my name.

Mephibosheth

PlatinumJester
2007-07-30, 10:08 AM
I have a small golden jester statue pendant which if you could see would agree that it is 10x cooler then any of the gold "bling" that P Diddy etc wear (but lets face it, they have crap taste). However having the name Golden in my title is not my style since Gold clashes with my hair so I went for Platinum which I felt rolled off of the tongue nicely.

Plus I'm good at making people laugh and like funny hats.

Conrad Poohs
2007-07-30, 08:53 PM
=.=
Wha hullo thar Mr Fezzy McKiltipants :smallbiggrin:

Oh, my name. I like it, default name for fantasising, etc.

That's MR Mr Fezzy McKiltipants to you, Lady Strumpet! :smallyuk:

TSGames
2007-07-30, 09:55 PM
I couldn't think of a name...

Me too.whitespace

Vuzzmop
2007-07-30, 11:38 PM
This is my name. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. Scratch that, I have no idea how I came up with this, it's just my lucky screen name.

Fleeing Coward
2007-07-31, 01:11 AM
Made the name late at night after having a few too many drinks for an archery character in another game I used to play (Rubies of Eventide).
Thought it was a good idea at the time and the name sort of stuck so here I am using it here as well.

Pepz
2007-07-31, 03:04 PM
guess I'm one of the rare people who based their nick on their own names :) My first name is Pepijn :) and when I needed an internet nick, I figured a Z would be proper to add to it, with all the coolz internetz slangz going on and such (it's been ten years since I though of it, Zs were awesome then :D Pepijnz looks like crap, so I just shortened it a bit :) My friends call me pepz nowadays, and even my mom sometimes adresses me as pepz sometimes :)

sktarq
2007-07-31, 03:26 PM
Really I need to hinde this responce on my laptop somewhere and cut and paste on request.

My moniker is actually said eSs-Kay-Tark. S and K are my initials. Tarq is short for Tarquin which is the name my father wanted to name me but my mother used her veto on that one. Tarquin was the last Etruscan govenor of Rome but came to my father via Hamlet.

magicwalker
2007-07-31, 03:49 PM
magicwalker is an adaptation of a character name from an old single player, god-view shooter, rts. The character that was the coolest in my opinion was Earl 'Magic' Walker. I chopped off the Earl to add to the coolness. I've had it for.. maybe.. 10 or 11 years now.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-31, 03:54 PM
when i started playing a server called Layonara on NWN1 i randomly made up the name crazedgoblin, so nothign miraculas about it hehe:smallbiggrin: