PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 5e] New Fighter Archetype: the Brass Squire, aka Muscle Wizard.

bloodshed343
2015-03-08, 01:49 PM
This is another attempt to revamp some classes for a custom setting. Some other designs can be found here, and should be read and PEACHed (please! ;-;)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402012-Homebrew-classes-to-replace-Cleric-and-Paladin-in-custom-setting

Anyway:

Brass Squire

The brass squires are a group of knight who use use glyphs on their arms and armor to tap into elemental leylines. With practice, this allows them to bend the elemental forces of creation, not with arcane secrets or Eldritch power, but to physically bend the elements. With their muscles.

This form of martial arts began in the fabled City of Brass, where mortal soldiers served as squires and bodyguards for powerful elementals. It has spread to nearly every nation in the natural world.

Glyphs of Power: When you select this archetype at 3rd level, you have learned the secrets of the glyphs. You smith glyphs into your armor or weapons, allowing them to attune to one of four elemental leylines. You may change the attunement during a long rest as long as you have a set of Smith's Tools and a hot fire. Your armor and weapon need not be attuned to the same leyline.

Your armor gains the following properties depending on its attunement:
Earth: When you are attacked, you may use your reaction to gain resistance to non-magical weapon damage.
Air: When you take lightning damage, you may use your reaction to gain resistance to that damage.
Fire: When you take fire damage, you may use your reaction to gain resistance to that damage.
Water: When you take cold damage, you may use your reaction to gain resistance to cold damage.

You gain the following Cantrips depending on your weapon's attunement. Your spellcasting ability for these Cantrips is Strength.
Earth: Granite Salvo
Air: Shocking Grasp
Fire: Firebolt
Water: Ray of Frost

Granite Salvo:
Casting time: 1 action
Range 60'
Effect: You send a salvo of stones flying at your enemy, which shatter into deadly shrapnel. Make a ranged spell attack against a single enemy. Deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage on a hit. Then make a secondary spell attack against one or two creatures within 5' of the original target, dealing 1d4 damage on a hit. The number of attacks you make increases to 2 at 5th level, 3 at 11th level, and 4 at 17th level.

Channel Elements:

At 3rd level, you've learned to draw strength from the elemental power you control. As an action on your turn, you may draw energy into yourself, gaining temporary hit points equal to twice your proficiency bonus. If you do, you gain an additional bonus until the end of your next turn depending on your armor's attunement:
Earth: Shield sized chunks of rocks rise from the ground, granting you cover from ranged attacks.
Air: You become enshrouded in vortex winds, granting you concealment from creatures more than 5' away.
Fire: Your next melee attack deals 2d6 extra fire damage.
Water: The ground within 15' of you becomes slick with ice. This area is difficult terrain for creatures other than you.

Brass Diplomacy:
At 7th level: You gain proficiency in intimidate and persuasion. You may use your strength modifier in place of charisma when making intimidate checks. You have advantage on persuasion and intimidate checks against elemental creatures.

Strength of the Elements:
10th level: Once per short rest, you may cast one of the following spells as a 5th level spell, depending on your weapon attunement. Your spellcasting ability for these spells is Strength.

Earth: Thunderwave
Air: Lightning Bolt
Fire: Burning Hands
Water: Cone of Cold

I Cast Fist:
The primal chaos gives reality substance and reality gives the chaos form. You give them both a world shattering fist to the face. Once per long rest, you may drop your weapon and release everything you have in a single, savage punch. One enemy within 5' of you must make a dexterity save vs your spell dc (8 + strength modifier + your proficiency bonus) to avoid taking 20d10 bludgeoning damage, and taking half as much on a successful save.

Dr_Dinosaur
2015-03-09, 06:03 PM
What are the limits on how often one can use Channel Elements and I Cast Fist? At what level does the fighter gain I Cast Fist, and do they gain nothing after?

BRKNdevil
2015-03-09, 06:06 PM
Is this Pathfinder? You should probably add a tag to clarify

bloodshed343
2015-03-09, 09:12 PM
What are the limits on how often one can use Channel Elements and I Cast Fist? At what level does the fighter gain I Cast Fist, and do they gain nothing after?

Channel Elements is at-will. It might be too powerful, but I think it's just right.

I Cast Fist is a level 15 once/long rest ability.

bloodshed343
2015-03-10, 08:32 PM
Is this Pathfinder? You should probably add a tag to clarify

This is 5e.