PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunter

Stormcrow
2007-04-10, 12:24 AM
Playing a Lvl 5 Human Ranger, Archery Spec.
His flavour is a bounty hunter. Without heading into Prestige classes can anyone think of a way to make him a little more bounty hunter and a little less ranger?

Dhavaer
2007-04-10, 12:52 AM
There was a thread like this yesterday.
Bloodhound, from Complete Adventurer.

Stormcrow
2007-04-10, 12:54 AM
ah.. "Without heading into Prestige classes"

Dhavaer
2007-04-10, 12:56 AM
Ah. Make your Favoured Enemies various types of Humanoid. That's all I can think of, this is really the sort of thing prestige classes are for.

Jasdoif
2007-04-10, 12:57 AM
Mechanics-wise? I'd say take urban ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rangerVariantUrbanRang er) instead of the standard ranger. It's more geared towards...well, urban settings, instead of natural ones.

The_Snark
2007-04-10, 12:58 AM
Yeah, the Bloodhound is about perfect.

How do you capture enemies alive with a bow? Might want to think about that a bit. Feats to help you deal nonlethal damage and such, maybe a Merciful longbow.

Stormcrow
2007-04-10, 01:19 AM
He's not really the bring them back alive kind of bounty hunter *inno* he's lawful evil. He uses blunt arrows when he has to.

Tharivol123
2007-04-10, 01:24 AM
Multi-class a level or two rogue to pick up some more ranks in Sense Motive, Gather Information, and Bluff (never know when it comes in handy).
Tanglefoot bags should become your good friends, and you may want to consider gaining proficiency with a net.
You will also want to keep your tracking ability at its best, so keep maxing out (or start if you haven't already).
Other than that, just keep looking at ways to deal non-lethal damage like the The_Snark said.

The_Snark
2007-04-10, 01:29 AM
Lawful evil sort who doesn't care about taking them back alive?

Well, let's see. If spellcasting is too ranger-y, you could use that no-spellcasting variant from Complete Warrior; the speed bonus is handy for a tracker. Some levels of rogue might fit; too bad there's no feat that lets rogue and ranger levels stack for anything. You could go Scout for a few levels, pick up Swift Hunter and Greater Manyshot, but skirmish doesn't have the same strike-from-hiding flavor that sneak attack does.

Urban Tracking might be a good idea even if you don't go Urban Ranger, so long as you have a bit of Gather Information.

Stormcrow
2007-04-10, 07:44 PM
I've allready gone down the no spells road. The DM really didnt want me to but i explained that he's more mundane than that. I'll consider the rogue levels because sneak attack damage would be awesome. I seem to remember there being a way to make sneak attacks on ranged attacks at greater than 30ft but I'll have to remember where that was...

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 07:46 PM
its from a feat if i remember correctly, Forgotten Realms Helps is your friend

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-10, 07:53 PM
Crossbow Sniper allows sneak attack with a crossbow at 60ft as one of its benefits...

Wehrkind
2007-04-10, 09:18 PM
You should work out with your DM a way of making called shots to the enemie's leg. An arrow through the thigh stops humanoids right quick, or slows them down a great deal at least.
There might be feats for it, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

jjpickar
2007-04-10, 10:13 PM
A net would be very bounty hunter-ish. Even if you are going to kill them its still fun to watch them squirm a bit in anticipation of their stabbity death.

Kultrum
2007-04-10, 10:26 PM
ranged pin, it say that if they are within 5 ft of an object you can pin them to it. their foot is within five feet of the ground, right?

Person_Man
2007-04-11, 09:50 AM
Wolf animal companion (or anything else with the Trip ability).

Buy the Spell Compendium, and use the Ranger spells. Some of them are quite potent.

Buy Tanglefoot bags.

Assuming you have down time between adventures to make stuff and/or your DM lets you Craft for a few hours each day before bedtime, take ranks in Craft (Poison). Find something cheap that deals ability point damage (it doesn't matter which one, though I find Cha or Dex is best), coat lots of arrows with it before combat, store them safely away somewhere, and then take down your enemy with lots of arrows.