PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arcanist [sorcerous origin]

Dhavaer
2015-03-13, 10:10 PM
Arcanist

Not all sorcerors rely solely on their inborn powers. Some dedicate themselves to study and research, as wizards do, and combine their learned and innate magic into a harmonious whole.

Studious Sorcerer
At 1st level, you start with 1 less spell known. Instead you gain a spellbook, which contains a number of wizard spells that are not also sorcerer spells of spells from the Studious spell list below equal to your Intelligence modifier. You can prepare a number of these spells equal to half the sum of your sorcerer levels and Intelligence modifier, and cast these prepared spells as if they were on your list of spells known. You can change your prepared spells when you finish a long rest. This takes 1 minute per spell.

You add one additional spell, which cannot be higher in level than your Intelligence - 10, to your spellbook at 3rd level and every two levels thereafter. See the 'Your Spellbook' sidebar in the wizard class description for more information of adding spells to your spellbook.

Ritual Casting
You can cast any spell in your spellbook that has the ritual tag as a ritual. You don't need to have the spell prepared.

Rapid Ward
At 6th level you can use your reaction to spend a sorcery point and gain advantage to the next save you make against a spell.

Intellectual Caster

At 14th level, you may add your Intelligence modifier to any ability check you make as part of a sorcerer spell.

Sorcerous Tradition

At 18th level, you may gain any level 2 ability from a Wizard Tradition. Note that you are not a Wizard unless you multiclass, so any use of your Wizard level as a variable is 0.

Studious Sorcerer
At 1st level, you start with 1 less spell known. Instead you gain a spellbook, which contains a number of wizard spells that are not also sorcerer spells equal to your Intelligence modifier. You can prepare a number of these spells equal to half the sum of your sorcerer levels and Intelligence modifier, and cast these prepared spells as if they were on your list of spells known. You can change your prepared spells when you finish a long rest. This takes 1 minute per spell.

See the 'Your Spellbook' sidebar in the wizard class description for more information of adding spells to your spellbook.

Ritual Casting
You can cast any spell in your spellbook that has the ritual tag as a ritual. You don't need to have the spell prepared.

Further Study
At 6th level, you add a number of wizard spells that are not also sorcerer spells equal to your Intelligence modifier to your spellbook.

Advanced Study
At 14th level, you add a number of wizard spells that are not also sorcerer spells equal to your Intelligence modifier to your spellbook.

Pinnacle of Study
At 18th level, you add a number of wizard spells that are not also sorcerer spells equal to your Intelligence modifier to your spellbook. You may spend 1 sorcery point to gain advantage on a save against a spell.

Level 1
Alarm
Grease
Identify
Illusory Script
Longstrider
Protection from Evil and Good
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Tenser's Floating Disc
Unseen Servant

Level 2
Arcane Lock
Continual Flame
Gentle Repose
Locate Object
Magic Mouth
Magic Weapon
Melf's Acid Arrow
Nystul's Magic Aura
Ray of Enfeeblement

Level 3
Animate Dead
Bestow Curse
Glyph of Warding
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Magic Circle
Nondetection
Phantom Steed
Remove Curse
Sending
Vampiric Touch

Level 4
Arcane Eye
Conjure Minor Elementals
Control Water
Evard's Black Tentacles
Fabricate
Fire Shield
Hallucinatory Terrain
Leomund's Secret Chest
Locate Creature
Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
Phantasmal Killer

Level 5
Bigby's Hand
Conjure Elemental
Contact Other Plane
Dream
Geas
Legend Lore
Mislead
Modify Memory
Passwall
Planar Binding
Rary's Telepathic Bond
Scrying
Wall of Force

Level 6
Contingency
Create Undead
Drawmij's Instant Summons
Flesh to Stone
Guards and Wards
Magic Jar
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Otto's Irresistable Dance
Programmed Illusion
Wall of Ice

Level 7
Forcecage
Mirage Arcana
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion
Mordenkainen's Sword
Project Image
Sequester
Simulacrum
Symbol

Level 8
Antimagic Field
Antipathy/Sympathy
Clone
Control Weather
Demiplane
Feeblemind
Maze
Mind Blank
Telepathy
Trap the Soul

Level 9
Astral Projection
Foresight
Imprisonment
Prismatic Wall
Shapechange
True Polymorph
Weird

Strill
2015-03-14, 05:51 AM
Considering how limited Sorcerers are with spells known, getting a spellbook and ritual casting is an enormous advantage. It eliminates their class's primary disadvantage. Personally I feel they would need a significant penalty to compensate. For example, say their spellcasting ability score is the LOWER of their CHA and INT.

Also, I realized that Ritual casting is pretty much useless if you're restricted to the sorcerer list. Most of the rituals are for Wizards.

Amnoriath
2015-03-14, 09:22 AM
1. This isn't very conducive to an origin in flavor of the Sorcerer.
2. This has no more uses of spell points which is contradictory to the others in mechanics.
3. Combative Caster isn't in line with the other abilities.
4. The spell point regeneration is really a bit much since succeeding a save(single target) and missing with a spell could be quite common.

Dhavaer
2015-03-14, 06:27 PM
I've removed the level 6, 14 and 18 abilities and replaced them with gaining extra spellbook spells, plus a sorcery point spender at 18. They don't get to add spells just for leveling any more.

I've also listed the spells they're allowed to add and, uh, it's a lot longer than I thought it would be. I'd expected it to be primarily utility spells with maybe a few of the more esoteric buffs and debuffs. Instead it was about half the wizard list. They really didn't screw around separating the lists, did they? I've bolded the spells I thought they should have access to, but I'm not sure how to define them in a rule without including too many of the others.

Amnoriath
2015-03-15, 02:09 PM
I've removed the level 6, 14 and 18 abilities and replaced them with gaining extra spellbook spells, plus a sorcery point spender at 18. They don't get to add spells just for leveling any more.

I've also listed the spells they're allowed to add and, uh, it's a lot longer than I thought it would be. I'd expected it to be primarily utility spells with maybe a few of the more esoteric buffs and debuffs. Instead it was about half the wizard list. They really didn't screw around separating the lists, did they? I've bolded the spells I thought they should have access to, but I'm not sure how to define them in a rule without including too many of the others.

The answer isn't to give them more spells known than what a Wizard would have for the day. Here is my "better sorcerer" origin. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?378512-The-Child-of-the-Weave(PEACH) I am no saying this is how it should be done but it has to do more than just them a while bunch more spells known.

Dhavaer
2015-03-15, 04:54 PM
I've switched back to added spells through leveling, plus an additional restriction on the maximum level they can have. I've added abilities that should hopefully be minor enough to not be overpowered. Getting Arcane Ward at 18 was the option that worried me most so I added the bit about not having an ersatz wizard level, but was that going too far?

Edit: Changed the rules for what spells to be chosen to restrict them to a more limited list. Anything struck through is not on the list, I'm just leaving it there because it was on the original list. Some of those spells still weird me out though. Why do Sorcerers get Wall of Stone but not Wall of Force?