PDA

View Full Version : Races of Inris Part I

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-10, 08:33 PM
I am making a new setting, a bit ambitious for a first attempt, but nevertheless...

And i changed around the player races. And here is the first.

The Estahel (These are the elf replacement): ( they speak a Norwegian based language)

+2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom: The Estahel are dexterous enough to climb the rigging, but are often considered too heady.

Medium: The Estahel are normal sized and have no bonus’s or penalties.
30 ft base speed

Weapon proficiency: Dagger, longsword, rapier, scimitar, shortbow.

+2 to use rope, profession (sailor), and climb: The Estahel are masters at sailing.

+2 to appraise: The Estahel are extremely skilled at bartering.

Immune to nausea: The Estahel do not get motionsickness.

Languages: Common Estarianal

Any: The Estahel commonly learn as many languages as possible to broaden their trading possibilities.

Favoured class: rogue

Please tell me what you think! Ill post the other races later.

paddyfool
2007-04-10, 09:34 PM
Underpowered. Remove the Int penalty, and this race might be OK, however, and would make for good rogues, wizards, sorcerers or ranged fighters and pretty decent anything-but-druids-or-clerics.

EvilElitest
2007-04-11, 12:16 PM
Fluff? What makes them different from elves
from,
EE

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-11, 08:05 PM
Fluff: aways back they lived far north, and lived a nomadic life much like the Inuit did. this was before magic was discovered. When magic was discovered, or soon after, a meteor hit the ice cap, and flooded the world. The elves at first moved south to evade the waters, but when it became clear that they could not run, they built a bunch of boats in the southern sea and waited for the flood to lift them up. They survived, and used their boats to connect the various isles that was all that was left of the mountain ranges, where the other races hid. they remained in that role for centuries.

EvilElitest
2007-04-11, 10:07 PM
Fluff: aways back they lived far north, and lived a nomadic life much like the Inuit did. this was before magic was discovered. When magic was discovered, or soon after, a meteor hit the ice cap, and flooded the world. The elves at first moved south to evade the waters, but when it became clear that they could not run, they built a bunch of boats in the southern sea and waited for the flood to lift them up. They survived, and used their boats to connect the various isles that was all that was left of the mountain ranges, where the other races hid. they remained in that role for centuries.

Potientail, but they sound rather bland to me, no offenise. I would surggest putting some more detail in culture, such as male female gender roles, religion, rites of passage, customs, morals ect.
from,
EE

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-12, 08:30 PM
That is still just the rough outline. Let's see... Religion... something to do with weather, mostly... yes. No rite of passge whatsoever, male and female do the exact same... Not much art, mostly decorations on other items, using lots of swirly designs, like the celts. There would be different clans of them... Each one has a different sail colour and/or shape. Each clan would also have different roles, not coherent, but, some clans would be raiders, others large trading fleets, and some estahel who go freelance. Some estahel settle down for a while, but most literally live on the sea.

That's as much as i can think of right now.

EvilElitest
2007-04-12, 10:56 PM
Hmmmmmm, i'll get back to you on that with idea

Just one question, do you plan to make them based on what culture?
from,
EE

paddyfool
2007-04-13, 09:05 AM
Culturally, I think that any group that spend their entire lifetime aboard the limited confines of a ship has the potential to develop some very interesting quirks. Read Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy for an example of one such culture. Also, it might be worth looking at gypsy, bedouin or mongol culture for some classic much-studied nomads.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-15, 07:56 PM
Culturally, i really have no idea. I have the other things i mentioned, and that their boats are made in the viking style, with both shallow bottomed raiding boats that can be both rowed and sailed, and deep bottomed trading barges.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-27, 08:11 PM
Wait, brainwave! Ask my friend! Hey (insert friends name here) any ideas?

I, personally, was thinking of how everything is based on non-materialism, getting only what you need, and mostly using the money gained in trading/raiding to fix ships, buy food, nessecities, but not much more. And, this is my friends idea, every 2 years, they gather at a small island in the middle of the largest sea and exchange wives, and specialized goods. There also, feuds are resolved, and punishment brought down upon wrongdoers, but, since it is not mandatory to go, many wrongdoers just avoid the island, until it calms down a bit. This is a lot like the Norse Things and the Icelandic Allthing. (And yes, that is actually wht the things are called)