PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Updated Dragon Knight (Created with another DM)

DracoKnight
2015-03-20, 03:49 AM
Here's the latest update for the Dragon Knight class. :D
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHM2NUdndaS1ZCTHM/view?usp=sharing

AuraTwilight
2015-03-20, 05:04 PM
Do you mind summarizing the differences? It looks mostly the same.

DracoKnight
2015-03-20, 05:14 PM
Mostly changes in the subclass features, and it includes that stats for the dragon that the Dragon Rider subclass will get.

DracoKnight
2015-03-20, 05:15 PM
It was mainly small tweaks to balance it out a little better/ give each subclass a bit more of a unique flavor.

Rfkannen
2015-03-20, 05:37 PM
If i was in your game I would totaly play a dragon rider. Sounds awesome.

what's with the
If your dragon can see something in the area, you can roll a d20. If

you beat a DC 15 they can share what they see with you, so long as you are riding them.

I don't hate it. I just don't get why it's there?

Why is it there?

DracoKnight
2015-03-20, 06:01 PM
We put it there in case you fail a Perception check.

Jurai
2015-03-20, 08:38 PM
In terms of balance, I would, honest to Heironeous, break it down into multiple classes. Most (MOST! Not all.) subclasses offer four or five abilities. To wit:

Barbarian 4
Bard 3
Cleric 5
Druid 4
Fighter 5
Monk 4
Paladin 4
Ranger 4
Rogue 4
Sorcerer 4
Warlock 4
Wizard 4

Your Dragon Knight class has SEVEN subclass advancements. SEVEN. That is nearly twice as many as most classes. I could see Dragonrider, Dragonslayer, and Draconic Hero each being a separate class. I could also see each of those getting brutally, sadly eviscerated.

DH has been cribbed from nearly every amazing subclass feature in the game. Champion Fighter's Survivor, Thief Rogue's Use Magic Device, Oath of Ancient's Paladin's Undying Sentinel, Monk's Evasion, Barbarian's Danger Sense. About the only things I see that are original-ish are Ancestral Weapon and Dragon Shape, and even those last too long. (Most 5e duration times are in the minutes, not hours, for class features.)

DS has similar issues: Barbarian's Reckless Attack, Ranger's Primeval Awareness, Hunter Ranger's Prey (The subclass capstone rings of Ranger's Foe Slayer. There's more original content here, and it's pretty good. There's a way to get a Dragon Slayer weapon if the campaign lasts long enough, though Strategic Attacker is broke. You don't get Advantage on damage rolls. Or Disadvantage for that matter. Draconic Strike is Paladin's Divine Smite with variable damage types and a buff if the damage is resisted.

DR is truly original, although that has more to do with the fact that the rules don't really cover having a pet dragon. Further advice, in most settings, a "baby" dragon is referred to as a Wyrmling. Mix Improved Breath Weapon with Growing up, and Bad Breath (which I'd rename Greater Breath Weapon if you keep it) with Saddle Up. Keep Dragon Master

Next up: The only 1/3 casters are subclasses of Fighter and Rogue, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster respectively. If this is a base class (which it seems to be), it should be a 1/2 caster, with 5th level spells. Charisma to AC, while late, is impressive, especially since it's, as 5e goes, a new ability. However, it cribs Draconic Sorcerer's Draconic Resilience, and only the fighter gets access to all of the fighting styles. I'd probably give it access ONLY to Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Archery, and Great Weapon Fighting. Dragon Ancestor is also cribbed, but it fits the fluff of the class so I'll let it slide. Arcane Focus is a nifty ability. Elemental Affinity needs to go.

I'm going to be honest, I'd make Draconic Strike a full class feature rather than a subclass ability. It's neat, for a Shotoclone (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Shotoclone) of Divine Smite. I'd push Arcane Focus back to ninth and fold it into Ancestral Weapon, which would also be promoted to a full class feature. The two promotions now cut us down to five subclass advances: 3, 7, 15, 18, and 20. This looks a lot like the Paladin subclass advancement progression, aside from the detour on 18.

That's my quick take on this class.

PotatoGolem
2015-03-20, 10:41 PM
I think Life Companions should just be part of the "having a dragon" subclass feature. Given how much of this class' power comes from subclass features, the fact that you can essentially lose your subclass until level 9 is awful. The wyrmling has 32 HP; it's not inconceivable that you'll lose it in the first few fights. Not having a subclass for 6 levels is way too big of a deterrent; the investment of time and spells is more than enough to make people protective of the wyrmling.

DracoKnight
2015-03-21, 06:45 PM
Thank you PotatoGolem for mentioning that. I have added that to the latest updated version, along with the dragon gaining Hit Points as you level up, to lessen the chance of their death.