PDA

View Full Version : Books to come?

Jlooney
2015-03-20, 11:08 AM
So other than adventure paths do we have any source books to look forward anytime soon? I can't find any information on upcoming stuff or anything like that.

Yorrin
2015-03-20, 11:26 AM
WoTC has basically said that they plan to focus almost completely on adventure paths. Nothing has been officially announced otherwise. We can assume that we'll get PDFs like the EE Player's Companion to go with many of the adventures, but I doubt we'll get a sourcebook for a while. I can almost speculate that they'll put all the material from the adventure companions in a complied form at some point, if they get to be a big enough volume, but that's really all I foresee.

randomodo
2015-03-20, 11:47 AM
I'm a bit surprised to see no campaign setting books up for publication, but that seems to be the way they're rolling these days.

Falcon X
2015-03-20, 11:56 AM
From what I understand about RPG history (http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Dragons-History-Roleplaying-Industry-ebook/dp/B00R8RB430/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426869600&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+roleplaying+games), this is probably a wise path.

Aside from adventures, I only expect a few "sub-core" books, and maybe some campaign settings. I speculate:
- Psionic Handbook (because they have always kept psionics optional and separate)
- Player's Handbook 2
- Monster Manual 2, 3, 4, etc.
- Magic Item Compendium (Covering legacy weapons, fancy materials, homebrew guidelines and specific items)
- Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
- Eberron Campaign Setting
- One other Campaign setting (Planes are being pretty big so far, but I don't think it will be Planescape. Ravenloft perhaps? or maybe another original one like Eberron was?)

If they DO start breaking out of the box, I expect to see some versions of:
- Book of Vile Darkness/Fiendish Codex
- Book of Exalted Deeds
- Planar Handbook
- Book of Abberations
- Libris Mortis
- Trapbuilder's Handbook
- Miniature's/Warfare HAndbook

mephnick
2015-03-20, 12:18 PM
Basically they saw Pathfinder gobbling up the market share with their focus on adventure paths and decided to follow suit.

I doubt there will be many 200+ page supplements like there were in 3.5

themaque
2015-03-20, 12:49 PM
Let us see how well this policy SELLS. This is a business after all. If people don't buy the adventures, but are vocal about splat books that is what we will get.

Jlooney
2015-03-20, 12:57 PM
Yea. I suppose. I mean I love the quality as much as you can when quality says ask your DM to figure it out. Im trying really hard to play 5th but if I wanted to homebrew everything I'd just make my own game.

themaque
2015-03-20, 01:05 PM
In a way, that is KIND of what they are selling us. Just a rough framework you use for making it your own game.

Answering your question...

Additional Monster Manuals
Advanced Players Guide. Some more examples for alternate paths.

If they don't bring out world specific guides, even WITH their focus on Adventures, I would be surprised.

and... that's all I would like to see.

Joe the Rat
2015-03-20, 01:09 PM
We should see setting books at some point. It will be interesting to see if they go with adventure paths in settings, or take a "Here's the world you like, here's the 5e writeup for things, go shop D&Dclassics for old adventures to convert" approach.

themaque
2015-03-20, 01:10 PM
We should see setting books at some point. It will be interesting to see if they go with adventure paths in settings, or take a "Here's the world you like, here's the 5e writeup for things, go shop D&Dclassics for old adventures to convert" approach.

And I've found converting 2nd ed adventures into 5th ed REALLY REALLY easy and rewarding.

Jlooney
2015-03-21, 03:37 AM
And I've found converting 2nd ed adventures into 5th ed REALLY REALLY easy and rewarding.

What ones and rewarding how?

themaque
2015-03-21, 04:10 AM
What ones and rewarding how?

Nights Below, Keep on the Borderlands.

It's easy because the MM really does have a wealth of older stuff already in the book. The easily modded nature of the game makes it easy to buff or limit powers a bit easier.

and rewarding because... Well those two at least feel they have so much storytelling potential. Many of the 3rd and unfortunately what I've heard of the 5e missions and adventures are very linear and dungeon hackey. I can mine older adventures that are the cream of the crop and bring them up to date really easily. The two I mentioned I think are some of the best they have published in many ways.

I next plan on looking into updating some of my Planescape stuff. see'ing how hard Factions and some of their adventures would be to bring into 5e.

Yrnes
2015-03-21, 08:38 PM
5e really needs another player's options book, IMO. I don't think we really need a magic item book just yet, since there's no dearth of them in the DMG, but it is another one I'd like to see. I'd also like more Monster Manuals ASAP!

Daishain
2015-03-21, 11:29 PM
I don't think we really need a magic item book just yet, since there's no dearth of them in the DMG
After running through that list, hunting for things appropriate for the current campaign, I'm going to have to disagree with at least the latter portion of that statement. Oh there are quite a few in there, but it is heavily populated with higher end magic items. The kind of things one would expect to find at the end of an epic campaign plot in a dragon horde.

Meanwhile, there is a dearth of what should be the most common type of magic item. Relatively small and simple enchantments, the kind of thing a a budding wizard should be able to produce fairly frequently.

Guran
2015-03-23, 06:55 AM
If they indeed go with the adventure path route, I do hope they bring some interesting adventures to the table. While we did enjoy Tyranny of dragons at our lgs, it was mainly because my co-DM and myself added a lot to the story to keep it appealing. And when I compare TOD to the premise of EE it looks almost exactly the same. Cult brings doom to the forgotten realms with Tiamat - Cult brings doom to forgotten Realms with evil elemental thingy. Rather then these bland and chewed adventure paths, I would rather see books with campaignsettings and content to inspire players and DM's alike.