PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunter

Sajiri
2015-03-21, 07:44 PM
Not sure if there's been a thread for this, if there has I haven't seen one recently.

Been playing MH4U recently with my partner, and for the first time since MHFU I've been getting into playing with other people (always played solo before). I'm curious if anyone else is playing it since my friend list is pretty lonely with only 2 people on it who I see online for MH.

I'm kind of behind what most people seem to be these days (just got HR6 the other night), but slowly plodding along getting my rank up. I've always been a bow user but tried Insect Glaive this time for a bit, until I went back to bow, I notice online bow seems to be a really uncommon weapon.

So, anyone else playing? Whats your rank? What weapons do you favour? Which monster do you really just want to take a hammer to its face regardless of what else you use? (Me, it's khezu. That thing scares the bejeezus out of me with its scream)

ScionoftheVoid
2015-03-21, 10:16 PM
I'm playing 4U a lot at the moment, though I don't have anyone to play with (yet) so I'm only HR2, though I'm up to eight star village quests. Really loving the charge blade for most things and the insect glaive always seems to keep me out of harm's way. There are a bunch of weapons I like, though, and while the charge blade is my new favourite, I'll probably be trying a bit of everything again once the "new, shiny!" feeling has worn off a bit more. Bows, hunting horns and dual blades took me a fair way into 3U's high rank and I have vague recollections of going to about the same point in Freedom Unite with basically only the greatsword.

My internet's probably not quite reliable enough for long-distance multiplayer even if I had experience with playing co-op and wasn't terrified of screwing up other people's hunts. I might get to teach a newbie soon-ish, though, which could be interesting.

Sajiri
2015-03-21, 10:55 PM
Feels like a lot of people I randomly join with are pretty silly, depending on the weapon they use. Longsword users always manage to knock someone off after they mount a monster because they wont stop attacking, quite often I put something to sleep with sleep coatings and then they all just either stand there doing nothing when they could take the time to set up a combo, or they keep attacking when me/partner are setting up bombs and traps.

Im in the middle of farming stygian zinogre atm. I just went broke making then upgrading all this gore magala gear, then saw the S.Zinogre gear is pretty good for gunner. I got lucky and ended up in a room with a good hunting horn user, I love it when they give that buff that stops stamina use :smallbiggrin:

Maethirion
2015-03-22, 12:14 AM
Completely by coincidence, I picked up 4U yesterday, having never played a Monster Hunter before, and I've just finished going through all the weapon training quests. Was really interesting, and I'm struggling to settle on something to main. I really don't know what I'm doing at this point, but I'm still enjoying myself. Any newbie tips?

ThePhantom
2015-03-22, 12:23 AM
I've played tri, and tri ultimate, and am playing this now. Insect glaive is very good weapon. Being able to do the mounting, big dodge, hitting monsters in the air, and from a distance with blademaster armor, yes please. Shame that the kinect formula is so tricky. I'm currently hr +, and 10 in the caravan. The monster I don't like zingore, troublsome lightning charged long pound attack.

As for tips, bring traps and bombs to every fit. It makes things so much easier. Also, every monster has a pattern to its attacks and where it goes to. Also, look up from time to time, there's sometimes a balloon up there. If you use the wave gesture facing it, it will show you where the monster is.

Tome
2015-03-22, 10:35 AM
Finally managed to pick up MH4U a few days ago after much salivation. :smallbiggrin:

I played a good bit of Tri, and my brother and I had plenty of good times with the old Freedom series on PSP. It's nice to be reunited with my one true love, the Switch-Axe, after the Tri servers shut down. The old bow also controls a bit differently to the Freedom games, but I'm sure I'll pick it up again soon enough. :smallwink:

I do miss the underwater combat though. It was actually pretty fun for me.

If anyone wants to trade Friend Codes, I'd love to do so.

Completely by coincidence, I picked up 4U yesterday, having never played a Monster Hunter before, and I've just finished going through all the weapon training quests. Was really interesting, and I'm struggling to settle on something to main. I really don't know what I'm doing at this point, but I'm still enjoying myself. Any newbie tips?

A four part tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk) video series for newbies to the Monster Hunter games. Made for MH3, but the fourth video covers the stuff that's changed for 4U.

Tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA) videos for each weapon, plus some extra stuff.

More immediately: Learn how skills work. It's distressingly common to see even higher ranked hunters walking around with hodge-podge armour sets and no active skills.
Learn how your weapon works. Combos, dodges, unique mechanics etc. Consider reading up on how the damage formula (http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/73946102476/mh4-how-damage-calculation-works-simplified) works. In addition, if you're going online learn which of your moves can stagger allies and be very careful about using them.
Once you've found a weapon you're comfortable with, try branching out a little. Some monsters really want to be fought with certain weapons.
Bring items to every hunt. If there's a type of item you'd like to bring more than you can carry of, remember that you can also bring the ingredients for it and combine in the field. There's a new feature, Item Sets, that makes it easy to prepare your standard loadout before a hunt.
Eat before every hunt. Free skills and stat boosts for only 300z.
Keep a selection of weapons and gear handy. Sometimes you might need a particular element, status effect or armour skill to deal with a monster. As an addendum, don't be afraid to do some research if you get stuck.
Keep an eye on a monster's attack patterns. If I see one more idiot just running into a Kut-Ku's second tail sweep...
Pet-a da piggy!

Sajiri
2015-03-22, 03:14 PM
If anyone wants to trade Friend Codes, I'd love to do so.

I'll trade with you (when I get home from work anyway).

I've been thinking I should find a melee weapon I like. As much as I love bow, there are just some monsters that are a pain in the butt as a gunner, I have very little experience with them though.

In MHFU, I tried all the weapons at first, settling on dual blades until I decided the game was too hard for a few months, came back and tried bow instead and loved it. In Tri, since there were no bows or dualblades (I think) I did sword and shield and...didn't like it so much. I dont remember why, maybe I was just bitter the weapons I liked weren't in it and all my friends who played were NA while I was stuck with EU servers.

4U obviously I tried Insect Glaive..it's okay and a nice change for a while but I felt like I was too easily getting myself locked into combos and moving in a direction well after the monster already moved out of the way. Maybe I just need more practice with it, or I should try out something else.

Sigh, my poor zenny

Hiro Protagonest
2015-03-22, 04:48 PM
I do miss the underwater combat though. It was actually pretty fun for me.

Yeah. I watch the Co-Optional Podcast and they loved that the underwater combat was going away, but I just thought "sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one". Not only does it allow a larger variety of monsters (though naturally, they didn't include all their land monsters ANYWAY), I find the 3D to be fun.

ScionoftheVoid
2015-03-22, 05:42 PM
Never bring a support palico to fight Zinogre. Turns out they will totally plant shock traps even if it's the worst possible thing to do (still narrowly beat it, the charge blade is pretty good at defending against rapid attacks and then wailing on something that has really long openings).

I kind of liked underwater combat as a concept, but I think the varying elevations on land works much better, and tying 3D movement to the known-to-be-awkward camera was maybe not the best idea. I hope it does come back eventually, a little better in implementation somehow. (Between camera issues and the problems it caused for various weapons - I used bows in 3U a fair bit, but it was a pain to use underwater - I think there are improvements that could be made. What those improvements are is not really my job to figure out, not being a game designer.)

Tome
2015-03-22, 05:49 PM
4U obviously I tried Insect Glaive..it's okay and a nice change for a while but I felt like I was too easily getting myself locked into combos and moving in a direction well after the monster already moved out of the way. Maybe I just need more practice with it, or I should try out something else.

Maybe try the Switch Axe? You can cancel out of your combos with a sidestep.

Note: As an avid fan of the Switch Axe, I may be biased.

Yeah. I watch the Co-Optional Podcast and they loved that the underwater combat was going away, but I just thought "sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one". Not only does it allow a larger variety of monsters (though naturally, they didn't include all their land monsters ANYWAY), I find the 3D to be fun.
Aside from it being pretty fun for me (maybe it was more problematic for those poor fools not using Switch Axes :smalltongue:) it also had the fun bonus of finally allowing for some well earned revenge on that blasted Plesioth.

huttj509
2015-03-23, 04:41 PM
Just picked up Monster Hunter 4U. New to the series. Possibly stupid question:

Ok, so I fought the Seltas and broke his horn. When carving him, do I need to reposition to get extra carves, or do I just keep carving where I can carve? Does this apply to all creatures with breakable parts for more/special carves?

I don't know if I was just unlucky in getting 3 Seltas Shells, or if I missed something.

Drascin
2015-03-23, 04:48 PM

Ok, so I fought the Seltas and broke his horn. When carving him, do I need to reposition to get extra carves, or do I just keep carving where I can carve? Does this apply to all creatures with breakable parts for more/special carves?

I don't know if I was just unlucky in getting 3 Seltas Shells, or if I missed something.

Only the big, Elder Dragons like Dahren Mohran have positional carves (and even then, it's a matter of having two carve areas, not really of locations). For everything else, just carve wherever.

Sajiri
2015-03-23, 06:04 PM

Some monsters can have their tails cut off which will just lay there on the ground to be carved. Otherwise breaking parts just gives extra rewards at teh end

huttj509
2015-03-23, 06:36 PM
Some monsters can have their tails cut off which will just lay there on the ground to be carved. Otherwise breaking parts just gives extra rewards at teh end

Ok, so if I cut off a tail I should make sure to carve it seperately? I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: Oh man, I've discovered my doom. Branching weapon upgrade paths. Say goodbye to my family for me, I'll never see them again as I try to figure out what to build towards.

Sajiri
2015-03-23, 07:22 PM
Ok, so if I cut off a tail I should make sure to carve it seperately? I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: Oh man, I've discovered my doom. Branching weapon upgrade paths. Say goodbye to my family for me, I'll never see them again as I try to figure out what to build towards.

Thats right. I think it can despawn if you take too long but it sits there quite a while (you generally have time to keep fighting until it flees to another area)

One thing to note though is that you need certain damage types to cut off tails, might be the same with other body parts I forget. You need blades/slashing damage to cut the tails, blunt/piercing dont work I think

Ninja_Grand
2015-03-23, 08:20 PM
YES A MONSTER HUNTER THREAD...ahem....I mean, Hey!

MH3U High Rank Vet here, mostly flying solo, but if you got skype or curse we could play. As for MH4U I am skilled in all weapons but the HBG, LBG, Gunlance, and Switch ax (All though I am going to learn it for dat SWEET Gore magla SA) Haven't done too many Multiplayer quests, but I can fix that.

Also, dose anyone know good bow armor for 8 star highrank in solo? I can farm anything, but like I said, only up to 8 stars.

Tome
2015-03-24, 11:53 AM

Obvious answer is to build all of them. It's what I do. :smallbiggrin:

Also, dear gods do switch axes need a lot of Ketcha Ears. Seriously. And no one seems to want to hunt them much online either.

Suichimo
2015-03-24, 05:11 PM
Thats right. I think it can despawn if you take too long but it sits there quite a while (you generally have time to keep fighting until it flees to another area)

One thing to note though is that you need certain damage types to cut off tails, might be the same with other body parts I forget. You need blades/slashing damage to cut the tails, blunt/piercing dont work I think

The only kind of damage that can't take off tails is Blunt. Only Hammers and Hunting Horns need someone else to cut off a tail, everything else can do it by themselves. This is the only required damage type to break parts.

Different hitzones on different monsters take different amounts of damage from the different damage types, though.

Also, a tail will pretty much only disappear when the monster it was cut off does, so this only applies to super long multi-monster missions.

ScionoftheVoid
2015-03-24, 09:53 PM
The only kind of damage that can't take off tails is Blunt. Only Hammers and Hunting Horns need someone else to cut off a tail, everything else can do it by themselves. This is the only required damage type to break parts.

Different hitzones on different monsters take different amounts of damage from the different damage types, though.

Also, a tail will pretty much only disappear when the monster it was cut off does, so this only applies to super long multi-monster missions.

Given that Slicing S exists, I'm pretty sure shot damage doesn't take off tails, which would suggest it is only cutting damage which does so. I'm fairly certain you can't bomb off tails either, and everything I've previously read on the subject suggests that it's only cutting damage that works. (Most weapons do cutting damage, though. The ones that don't are the hunting horn and hammer, though shield bash or side-of-the-blade slaps for the weapons that have them are usually impact on that attack. And the hunting horn technically has a little jab which does cutting, but don't try to cut a tail with that. Finally, the insect glaive has some moves where it hits with the blunt end, doing impact damage.)

Suichimo
2015-03-24, 10:19 PM
Given that Slicing S exists, I'm pretty sure shot damage doesn't take off tails, which would suggest it is only cutting damage which does so. I'm fairly certain you can't bomb off tails either, and everything I've previously read on the subject suggests that it's only cutting damage that works. (Most weapons do cutting damage, though. The ones that don't are the hunting horn and hammer, though shield bash or side-of-the-blade slaps for the weapons that have them are usually impact on that attack. And the hunting horn technically has a little jab which does cutting, but don't try to cut a tail with that. Finally, the insect glaive has some moves where it hits with the blunt end, doing impact damage.)

Was pretty much referring to melee weapons only. No one tells the guy with the bow that he is on tail duty.

Yes, only cutting damage takes tails off.

Rising Phoenix
2015-03-24, 11:23 PM
I played Monster Hunter on the Wii for about I dunno 400 hours?

Didn't do much with Ultimate. But Ultimate looks like a lot of fun.

Should we start exchanging friend codes?

Tome
2015-03-25, 06:38 AM
I played Monster Hunter on the Wii for about I dunno 400 hours?

Didn't do much with Ultimate. But Ultimate looks like a lot of fun.

Should we start exchanging friend codes?

I'm all for that.

Sajiri
2015-03-25, 03:25 PM
I keep forgetting to dig out my 3ds when I get home to add friendcodes. But if anyone wants to add me go ahead

TamerBill
2015-03-25, 04:04 PM

Technically the hunting horn has a single cutting attack. You'd just be crazy to try actually taking off a tail with it.

Tome
2015-03-25, 06:27 PM
I keep forgetting to dig out my 3ds when I get home to add friendcodes. But if anyone wants to add me go ahead

Already done so. :smallwink:

Sajiri
2015-03-26, 11:26 PM
What cat combos are people using? Currently I'm 3 healing/2 fighting (due to lack of anything but bombing and treasure)

I've heard stealing is meant to be pretty good, but I've only got one of those. I know I saw some kind of spreadsheet somewhere that listed the chance/areas most likely to encounter each type of cat

huttj509
2015-03-27, 12:25 AM
What cat combos are people using? Currently I'm 3 healing/2 fighting (due to lack of anything but bombing and treasure)

I've heard stealing is meant to be pretty good, but I've only got one of those. I know I saw some kind of spreadsheet somewhere that listed the chance/areas most likely to encounter each type of cat

Wait, how many cats can you use at once? (I pretty much just unlocked the ability to recruit more) I seem to only be able to deploy 1 main and one sub.

Sajiri
2015-03-27, 12:28 AM
Wait, how many cats can you use at once? (I pretty much just unlocked the ability to recruit more) I seem to only be able to deploy 1 main and one sub.

You only use the two, but by setting your 1st stringers, it affects your main palico's skills (so you should really do it)

Have at least two of one type, it gives it a new skill, and each one after that gives another skill.

For example my 3 healing gives healing and detox/antidote horn, and the 2 fighting gives demon/attack horn.

huttj509
2015-03-27, 03:09 PM
About monster difficulty:

Outside of guild quests which level up, and food effects, is a monster always the same in terms of health/damage?

Like, is the Tetsucabra in the Guildhgall HR 1+ mission the same as the Tetsucabra in the Village 3 star mission?

I know I heard that if you need to fight two monsters, they each have 30% less health than normal or something.

Sajiri
2015-03-27, 03:21 PM
Finally crafted all my S.Zinogre gear + the bow (severely lacking in armor spheres though, oops) and got a 2nd stealing palico. Yay. I should really get back to upgrading HR soon now that I finally have some decent bow and cat skills

Also finally remembered to add you to friends list Tome

ThePhantom
2015-03-27, 05:59 PM
About monster difficulty:

Outside of guild quests which level up, and food effects, is a monster always the same in terms of health/damage?

Like, is the Tetsucabra in the Guildhgall HR 1+ mission the same as the Tetsucabra in the Village 3 star mission?

I know I heard that if you need to fight two monsters, they each have 30% less health than normal or something.

Guildhall and village don't have the same health. Guildhall has more, because its based on having four hunters to attack it. Also, monsters have varied health, its modified by rates known as -2,-1,0,+1,+2. The food effect weakener takes +1 and +2 off the table for the roll.

And yes, if there's more monsters in a quest, their health goes down. Its a balance thing, so that you can take out multiple monsters in 50 minutes.

Tome
2015-03-28, 02:30 PM
The Gathering Hall is balanced for two hunters, actually.

Also, to answer the question, the monsters will be mostly the same unless you're dealing with High Rank or G Rank monsters. These have more health and damage, and sometimes new moves. You start getting High Rank equivalent monsters in the Caravan at 7 stars, and a few G Rank quests show up at 10 stars. Don't worry, you'll be able to tell because they'll start dropping new materials - look out for parts with a plus at the end.

The G Rank Caravan quests require you to have reached G Rank in the Gathering Hall to unlock.

TamerBill
2015-03-28, 03:31 PM
The Gathering Hall is balanced for two hunters, actually.

Balanced for one and a third hunters, mathematically. Monsters in the Gathering Hall have the same HP as offline, but take 75% normal damage. That's the only numerical change between the two.

SKarious
2015-03-30, 10:22 AM
Hey all!
Yay, a Monster Hunter thread. Myabe I could get some partners.
I'm a newbie and MH4U is my first game is my first game.
So far I've played mostly solo missions (Caraven rank 7, HR2). I'm maining the Light Bowgun, which I find a cool and easy weapon, even if buying all that ammo gets expensive.

So far, tips for newbies I've discovered:
- If you see a balloon, you can wave to it to see the locations of monsters.
- Monsters take different damage when hit on different parts. A hit to the head will cause more damage generally and with enough blunt damage you can even stun them.
- Monsters only regenerate health when they're asleep, so don't worry if it takes you a while to reach where they've fled.
- Discover as many combinations as you can. The most useful consumables are the ones you make yourself.
- Make sure you have enough whetstones/ammo and buffs before hunting.
- Some monsters have rocky hides that bounce slicing attacks. I'm told bounced attacks still cause damage.

I know it's basic stuff, but not everyone is a veteran.

Got any tips on online etiquette?

Sajiri
2015-03-30, 03:15 PM
Got any tips on online etiquette?

-Have all your stuff ready before you join a room so you aren't wasting time running between stores and boxes
-Stop attacking when someone else mounts a monster so you don't knock them off (so annoying)
-Ask if you want to do a different monster to what the room is posted for

I'm one fight away from G-rank now. I think. That dalamadur fight was...interesting. I had no idea what was going on at first but I was in there with my partner and a mutual friend so it wasnt really stressful/embarrassing (I kept falling through the floor, oops). We did ukanlos a few times but I was the last one to have my turn for my rankup, and unfortunately we wiped. By then my wrists were killing me from holding that 3DS so long so we stopped. Havent had a chance to do it again yet, particularly since it doesnt let me search a room for it. I suppose he's not so hard for me at least, so long as I dont let him step on me or hit me with his beam (both of which OHKO me in my gunner armor) he's easy to dodge, but I don't want to rely on my cats to keep it occupied.

huttj509
2015-03-30, 07:19 PM
Currently trying to figure out Gore Magala solo. Made it through the expedition involving him, but the following mission to hunt him is wrecking me. I'm not even making it to his frenzy phase.

Current armor available:

Nerscylla (only Trap Master would be relevant here, but decent defense, and 10 DRagon resistance, but -10 fire and thunder res)
Plesioth with Seltas pants (more rewards if I capture him, same Def as Nerscylla, 10 Rragon Res, lower fire and thunder res)

Current Weapons:

Greatsword: Santoku Reaver (130 true attack, but -10 affinity), Ravager Blade (110 true attack, but no affinity penalty, and 10 def)

Hammer: Cluster Hammer (110 true attack, 100 sleep), Meaty Smash (120 true attack 120 ice, but Gore takes only 5% ice damage)

Dual Sword (haven't used in a while, as "hit and run" worked better): Dual Hatchets (110 true attack), Kut-ku pair (100 true attack, 70 fire damage, he takes 10-25% fire damage)(actually not yet made, need to snag a kut-ku guild quest for farming)

Tips I'm looking for along the lines of:

"Should be doable with that, X would be most effective, using strategy Y"
"Ouch, none of those weapons are great for him, try making X and practicing with that weapon type"
"Fire vulnerability? His shots are fire, not dragon (I dunno what they are), look for some anti-fire gear to help"

Or really, anything more specific than "git gud."

Sajiri
2015-03-30, 08:38 PM
Currently trying to figure out Gore Magala solo. Made it through the expedition involving him, but the following mission to hunt him is wrecking me. I'm not even making it to his frenzy phase.

Current armor available:

Nerscylla (only Trap Master would be relevant here, but decent defense, and 10 DRagon resistance, but -10 fire and thunder res)
Plesioth with Seltas pants (more rewards if I capture him, same Def as Nerscylla, 10 Rragon Res, lower fire and thunder res)

Current Weapons:

Greatsword: Santoku Reaver (130 true attack, but -10 affinity), Ravager Blade (110 true attack, but no affinity penalty, and 10 def)

Hammer: Cluster Hammer (110 true attack, 100 sleep), Meaty Smash (120 true attack 120 ice, but Gore takes only 5% ice damage)

Dual Sword (haven't used in a while, as "hit and run" worked better): Dual Hatchets (110 true attack), Kut-ku pair (100 true attack, 70 fire damage, he takes 10-25% fire damage)(actually not yet made, need to snag a kut-ku guild quest for farming)

Tips I'm looking for along the lines of:

"Should be doable with that, X would be most effective, using strategy Y"
"Ouch, none of those weapons are great for him, try making X and practicing with that weapon type"
"Fire vulnerability? His shots are fire, not dragon (I dunno what they are), look for some anti-fire gear to help"

Or really, anything more specific than "git gud."

He's pretty nasty when enraged, so you wanna break him out of that asap. Bring traps and bombs.

I think I fought him with both insect glaive and bow. Melee was the pretty standard stay beneath him. Try to avoid standing in those dark pool/cloud things he leaves everywhere, it speeds up your virus I believe. Other than that...uh...try to get your main palico set up as a healer (I think you have access to more by that point, and the first one you recruit is a healing one). I really didnt do well as a melee hunter though so I cant give more advice than that, I just try to stay behind and out of tail range as a bow user

Traps and bombs is my main thing though. When he enrages, trap him then lay down 1-2 bombs and blow him up, if you're lucky he'll get out of enrage quickly

He's weak to thunder, dragon and fire elements apparently, so if you can get those element weapons it would do a bit extra damage for you

Doggie_arf
2015-03-30, 10:25 PM
Always pack Nulberries. They cancel out Blight statuses, and recover half of the virus gauge inflicted by Gore Magala's attacks/dust (amongst other things). You'll still need to attack something (not necessarily Gore - random mooks work too) to get rid of the virus, but Nulberries give you more time to do so.

If you manage to (literally) beat the virus out of your system, you become temporarily immune to it, and get increased affinity (more critical hits!) to boot.

If you don't, and the gauge fills up...well, you lose your health regen and become really vulnerable to Gore's attacks. Have fun for the next minute or so. Or you can run back to the camp and use the bed there.

Hugging Gore's body/hindquarters works well for melee at the start. When he starts raging (grows horns, sky turns dark), watch out for his charging attacks. If he commits to a breath attack and you're near him, run towards his back to score some free hits (do not stay near his face). Don't overcommit to attacking, as he might charge/bodyslam after that.

If you need breathing room to heal/pop a Nulberry, running to the next area might be a good idea. If that isn't an option, wait for him to commit to a charge/dive, avoid it, and use your items before he recovers.

Tome
2015-03-31, 03:21 AM
I almost entirely use switch axes, so my advice of 'stand in front of his face and sidestep though his attacks' may not be the most helpful. :smallbiggrin:

But yes, bring two healing palicos and remember to Nulberry to fight off the infection.

Maybe consider upgrading your armour and weapons? Tetsucabra, Velociprey or Rathalos sets would be my recommendations. Once you can make Gore's armour, you can mix it with Ceanataur bits for a nifty set that has Sharpness +1.

huttj509
2015-03-31, 05:44 PM
Haha, got him. Dual blades definitely helped for fast stick on him. And man Tetsucabra armor's health boost is nice (had a talisman for health +3, to bump the bonus up to 50 extra health).

Took me 27 minutes
1 kitty cart
2 barrel bomb L+
1 Barrel bomb S
1 EZ barrel bomb
1 shock trap
1 pit trap
not many potions, actually
and a couple of tranq bombs

Didn't get his feelers though, he frenzied in area 6, which ain't great for trying to mount when solo (the one with the narrow ledges with big walls to climb).

Sajiri
2015-03-31, 07:33 PM
To get the feelers I think you have to break his head when he's enraged which...is probably the most dangerous time to be wailing on his head

Doggie_arf
2015-03-31, 09:11 PM
Dual Blades are very good at inflicting status effects, so getting a pair that inflicts sleep or paralysis might give you a nice window to plant bombs/recover/wail on raging Gore's head. This set of paralyze duals (http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/dualblades/felyne-and-melynx) should be easy to make.

ThePhantom
2015-03-31, 11:30 PM
Well, best weapon for the feelers is IG, cause you can mount almost whenever you want to. Just have to get the timing right.

Tome
2015-04-02, 08:18 AM
I find it's generally easier to break monster parts online, since there's more of a gap between the damage needed to break the part and the damage needed to kill it.

TamerBill
2015-04-02, 11:48 AM
I find it's generally easier to break monster parts online, since there's more of a gap between the damage needed to break the part and the damage needed to kill it.

This is incorrect, the percentages are the same. If it's easier to get breaks it's because you're focus-firing on the same part, not because it lasts longer.

Sajiri
2015-04-02, 05:16 PM
Been trying all morning to kill a single stygian zinogre/deviljho to get parts to upgrade my current bow. Each time I either have people wipe constantly, which is depressing since Im usually the one with the lowest defense but barely get hit, or the few times I am in a group doing well, there's an error and I/everyone dc's from the room and Im face to face with an angry monster and no cats to distract while I shoot. Sigh.

huttj509
2015-04-05, 09:00 PM
Huh, trying to figure out what just happened.

Soloing Guild quest HR 1 to capture a Gypceros.

He seemed to be low, I caught him in a pit trap.
Threw 2 tranq bombs at him.

Nothing happened. Figured he wasn't as low as I thought, and had no other pit trap. So I decided to finish him off.

Couple greatsword hits with him still in the pit trap, "quest complete," and the Gypceros is captured after a swordblow.

Doggie_arf
2015-04-05, 09:51 PM
Monsters have a certain "capture" HP threshold. Your last few attacks brought the Gypceros below that threshold before the tranq bombs wore off or it could escape the trap, so it counted as a successful capture.

A good sign that the monster is weak enough to capture is if it begins to limp away to another zone. One way to catch a monster would be to identify the zone it nests in, wait for it to limp back to said nest to rest, and then set a trap directly under the sleeping beast. Alternatively, slotting your equipment for the Perception (http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/skill/perception) skill might also be useful.

huttj509
2015-04-05, 09:55 PM
Monsters have a certain "capture" HP threshold. Your last few attacks brought the Gypceros below that threshold before the tranq bombs wore off or it could escape the trap, so it counted as a successful capture.

A good sign that the monster is weak enough to capture is if it begins to limp away to another zone. One way to catch a monster would be to identify the zone it nests in, wait for it to limp back to said nest to rest, and then set a trap directly under the sleeping beast.

I thought it had limped off. Wasn't my first capture. I just thought the tranq bombs were "instantaneous," so when they didn't work, wasn't expecting it to suddenly work post-bomb.

Doggie_arf
2015-04-05, 09:59 PM
I thought it had limped off. Wasn't my first capture. I just thought the tranq bombs were "instantaneous," so when they didn't work, wasn't expecting it to suddenly work post-bomb.

Gypceros walks funny, anyway. I got fooled during that quest too, except that I ran out of tranqs ("Two didn't work? How about four?") and had to restart. :smallbiggrin:

Monsters regenerate some health when they sleep, so it might have recovered past the capture threshold in the time it took you to find/reach its nest.

Tome
2015-04-07, 08:07 AM
Man, the desire sensor is real. Been farming Rathian for a switch axe upgrade and I'm getting more Rubies and Plates than I am Spikes+.

Got it in the end, but it was certainly weird. At least I'll have those bits if I ever decide to make the armour.

zilvar
2015-04-09, 03:24 PM

I think that's exactly what happened to me, except with the charge blade. Trap, tranq, profanity-attack, huh..wow, that's odd!

Suichimo
2015-04-10, 03:45 AM

I think that's exactly what happened to me, except with the charge blade. Trap, tranq, profanity-attack, huh..wow, that's odd!

Yeah, the mistake you made was not treating it like every other status in the game. The only difference is, iirc, monsters don't build up any kind of resistance to them. The only way it will ever take more than two tranq bombs is if you're using Status Attack Down, then you need 3.

Tome
2015-04-19, 04:53 PM
Got to G-rank recently. Currently running about, farming elder dragons to satisfy my need to make every possible switch axe available to me.

In particular, Dalamadur has been dropping more Gems than Talons. Curse you, Desire Sensor!

Speaking of, that fight seems fairly confusing. Is there a way I'm supposed to be going about it?

Ninja_Grand
2015-04-19, 08:06 PM
Man this game is fun, but I hit my wall. I just dont have the will power to farm up some good high rank gear, That solo pink rathain can 2 shot me in my zinogre gear. If I ever get it done, That hight rank spider gear is calling my name!

Tome
2015-04-20, 02:44 PM
Man this game is fun, but I hit my wall. I just dont have the will power to farm up some good high rank gear, That solo pink rathain can 2 shot me in my zinogre gear. If I ever get it done, That hight rank spider gear is calling my name!

Low rank Zinogre armour?

Yes, an upgrade may be called for.

The standard HR starting set is Tetsucabra S. It's easy to farm, you'll probably be done in a couple of hunts, and has a high defence.

You could also try tagging along on a High Rank Zinogre hunt and make the Zinogre S set, which looks awesome. Just search for a Gathering Hall farming him and you should find one. I'm generally of the opinion that Stygian Zinogre's set is better though, and it does require two rare drops.

I'd advise only going for the one set, since there's little reason to make lots of HR sets when you're just going to replace it with G rank gear anyway.

Failing that, add me as a friend and I'll help you out. :smallbiggrin:

Ninja_Grand
2015-04-20, 06:40 PM
#lordofderp HIGH RANK TETSUCABRA why did I not think of that. Thanks man! And I wish you could help, but its the offline mode one.

Tome
2015-04-21, 08:13 AM
I can always help you with grinding the armour. :smallbiggrin:

In other news, Molten Tigrex is not fun to fight. I already hated fighting regular Tiggy, His Moltenness is just a nightmare. At least I'm still carting less than everyone else.

I'm gonna dread farming him for blasthearts.

Sajiri
2015-04-26, 04:12 PM
I finally got off my butt and beat ukanlos, so Im now G-rank (finally). Not sure whats a good starting armor for G-rank bow user, I worked out a basic set I'd like to work towards but I was already getting a bunch of insults for my defense in my Zinogre U(?) set in HR...thanks to not having enough armor spheres. Despite the fact that the people that usually complained usually died and I rarely got hit (Although I do admit, the few times I DO get hit....it's painful)

JabberwockySupafly
2015-04-26, 07:56 PM
A MH thread! I was contemplating starting one, but now I don't have to. Huzzah!

Been playing Mohan since the first one, picked up MH4U + the limited edition 3DXL on launch. Couldn't help myself. My friend and I play on the train every morning to work and sometimes we get a group together locally for hunts. We've just cracked G Rank and I jus got to 10* caravan quests this morning. I GS almost exclusively with some charge blade on the side. Currently rocking the Najarala S set gemmed up for HG Earplugs and Capture God since those sweet, sweet bonus cap rewards are worth it. Unless it's an elder dragon, then the armour gets swapped.

Thinking of farming the Ukanlos for its set since the skills are pretty solid, but 1-to-2 manning it can be exhausting. Hoping to get a group together at my local gaming shop soon to do some serious farming. I'll throw out my friend code for anyone who would like it, but I am rarely online due to not having home internet at the moment (hopefully soon to be remedied). Happy to do some online hunting when I do have access. My FC is 5343-8285-6618.

BeerMug Paladin
2015-04-26, 11:24 PM
I just got this game a little while ago. I haven't played it that much yet and I have no idea what I'm really doing in it. When I figure out what weapon type I like best I'll probably pick one, but so far I like the dual slicers the most, probably. I haven't tried any of the ranged weapons yet, though.

Infernally Clay
2015-04-27, 07:43 AM
I'm at G3 myself. Rocking a Desert Rose with Regios armour, since colour coordination is important. That and paralysis is easily the most useful status ailment you can inflict. I do have a Schwarzchild, which has higher raw damage and better paralysis damage, but I'd need to finish my Lagiacrus X set to "awaken" the paralysis effect and I'm not having any luck with getting the Rathalos Mantle I need.

That's kinda my dream set - Lagiacrus X with a Defense-honed Schwarzschild. That's +95 bonus defence and two helpings of the Divine Blessing effect, so I'd be super tanky without sacrificing any damage - but I don't think that'll ever happen.

My FC is 1891-1230-7244 if you wanna add me.

Tome
2015-05-02, 05:41 PM
Due to assorted Desire Sensor shenanigans, I've recently start using the light bowgun in addition to my standard switch axes.

The specific shenanigans involved getting multiple Jaspers and Skymeralds from Zinogre before I got the measly two Lashes I was after, leading to my deciding to make the armour, leading to me making the gunner version because I didn't feel like phasing out my blademaster sets, leading to me making a good lightning LGB to go with it, leading to me having spent several hours farming all sorts of monsters to make additional elemental sets and guns, and now I'm elemental gunning everything.

I think I might actually enjoy this more almost as much as I do using the switch axe.

Also, the number of people who consistently cart to Zinogre, even at G rank, is higher than I'd thought it would be. And I'm learning a new weapon in unupgraded gunner armour, so he can one-shot me with certain attacks.

huttj509
2015-05-12, 11:25 AM
So, was hunting Najarala trying to get some Medullas for my Felyne and Melyx+ daggers. (8% chance from the hunt a thon quest completion, 8% chance on capture, 8% chance on tail break, but I find those tails rough to break). Finally got lucky and got the 2 I needed (one from quest completion, one from one of my 2 captures that same time, accidentally killed the 3rd).

Totally worth it. Holy cow, that 200 paralyze on daggers is FUN. I don't think I'll use em all the time, but I love having them in my bag o' tricks.

Downsides:

Low damage. 126 attack (90 true attack) is not a lot in High Rank. Compensated by the amount of "sit there and let me wail on you" time I get, but you don't use them for their oomph. If I were doing multiplayer though, they'd absolutely be my go to weapon.

Lots of low attacks means it can be hard to reach and break heads. More an issue with daggers in general (resign yourself to tearing the heck out of their ankles). Mostly feel it since I've been maining Greatsword (again, single player), and that one can easily knock things out of the air when you get a feel for it. Hello Mr. Gypceros, I'll just smack your head a bit up there.

Started out wanting to main daggers, but felt like too much "come back here and let me hit you." Especially with demon dance's animation lock. Paralyze makes up for that.

I need to get some Brach Hammers to make the Dios daggers. Boom boom boom.

Tome
2015-05-12, 04:10 PM
Paralyze is very fun in multiplayer. My Zinogre LBG can rapid fire it, so I usually paralyze the monster once or twice for the rest of the group to wail on.

Aaaaaaand so it stays still while I shoot Slicing S at it's tail. I need those A. Rathalos Lashes, darn it.

Infernally Clay
2015-05-12, 05:18 PM
Well, I actually managed to finish the Lagiacrus X set. Haven't managed to hone the Schwarzchild yet but getting Specialist before each hunt really changes everything. Paralysing monsters is pretty easy when you've got 270 paralysis damage and stunning paralysed monsters is even easier.

Now I'm hunting Chaos Magala because I want the Nephilim Gunner set. I don't even use bows or bowguns that much but the armour is so stylish I just have to have it.

I did find someone a couple of days ago with the infamous A Colourful Feast quest but only managed to clear it once before they left. That's a shame since you have to clear the quest five times to get the full Star Knight set. It's even more of a shame that the quest is also really easy so, when the quest is finally distributed properly, pretty much everyone will have it.

Tome
2015-05-13, 03:42 PM
I know. Doesn't help that Star Knight is probably the best possible set in the game. Personally I'm not too tempted by it, but then my inner hipster insists I do something original with my armour.

In other news, I'm currently learning the gunlance. The lack of super armour promises much 'fun' in multiplayer.

JabberwockySupafly
2015-05-14, 09:33 PM
Finally got real internet at home, so I can now do online hunts. I've left my FC behind before, but I'll drop it again in case anyone feels like adding me. I live in a land down under so my available times may be weird compared to the rest of y'all. FC is 5343-8285-6618 .

Almost at G2 (just gotta complete the Urgent Seregios) and sitting HR 51. I'm still maining GS with some C.blade when I need a change and currently rocking the Tetsu X set due to the survivability of it. If anyone wants to add me for some hunting shenanigans, feel free.

Tome
2015-05-15, 10:38 AM
Finally got real internet at home, so I can now do online hunts. I've left my FC behind before, but I'll drop it again in case anyone feels like adding me. I live in a land down under so my available times may be weird compared to the rest of y'all. FC is 5343-8285-6618

Nifty, I've registered you, so drop me a line if you want to hunt.

In other news, gunlancing is proving harder than expected. Anyone here have any suggestions for how to play it properly?

huttj509
2015-05-17, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, just made the Verdant Slashers (yay sleep, and #@$%^ ruby basarios). Tried them out on a LR Iodrome, and I never saw it go to sleep.

When I'm sitting there wailing on it, is the sleep being interrupted by my pings of damage before even being visible? Is there a clue as to "It's going to sleep, back off so you can bomb it"?

Sajiri
2015-05-17, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, just made the Verdant Slashers (yay sleep, and #@$%^ ruby basarios). Tried them out on a LR Iodrome, and I never saw it go to sleep.

When I'm sitting there wailing on it, is the sleep being interrupted by my pings of damage before even being visible? Is there a clue as to "It's going to sleep, back off so you can bomb it"?

I might be wrong, but I think it has to actually go through the sleep animation first before you can wake it again. When it falls asleep the music will stop too to make it more obvious.

At least, anytime I've put something to sleep with coatings in 4 player groups, people have had time to stop hitting it before waking it again (or more commonly, they will just keep wailing on it, then immediately after it falls down the music starts again and it gets back up) There's a few seconds there at least of warning, its likely it just didn't work. I don't think you can sleep something during enrage (or you cant fatigue it, forget which), and Im not sure how effective the weapons themselves are since I've only ever used coatings for sleeping things.

Tome
2015-05-17, 07:41 PM
You can Sleep enraged monsters. You can't exhaust them though. It's Apex monsters that are immune to status effects.

Also, DBs and LBGs both have attacks that last slightly longer than the going to sleep animation. It's still obvious when it happens, but there's really nothing you can do if you demon dance/five shot rapid fire at the wrong time.

The weapon mentioned is dual element. If I recall, those use one blade for each element, so it's only potentially hitting with Sleep on half (or less, because the animations favour one blade over the other) of it's hits. You have a roughly 1/3 chance to proc sleep with each hit with that blade, and a LR Iodrome needs seven procs from that weapon (or more if it takes too long). With bad luck, it's perfectly possible you just didn't proc sleep enough times.

Infernally Clay
2015-05-17, 08:56 PM
The only status I use is paralysis. I don't even use poison since I can never actually tell how much damage it does. Besides, I'm pretty sure I can do more damage myself to a paralysed monster than poison would do over time.

huttj509
2015-05-17, 11:11 PM
The only status I use is paralysis. I don't even use poison since I can never actually tell how much damage it does. Besides, I'm pretty sure I can do more damage myself to a paralysed monster than poison would do over time.

Yeah, I def. prefer pasralysis.

I'm kinda "pokemon, gotta catch em all" with the dual blade statusesm though.

Was definitely speeping the HR Gravios I fought, so it was working as expected.

Sajiri
2015-05-31, 06:36 PM
Sooo...a new monster hunter game was just announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7Ge7SJOX8