PDA

View Full Version : Original System d20 Fantasy RPG, skill based, no/little scaling HP

Jenckes
2015-03-25, 06:57 PM
I've been working on my own system for awhile now and it's probably mostly playable at this time, especially if you're willing to port over the 5e skill system (I haven't done much with skills on my own yet). I am generally super busy during the school year and haven't be able to playtest anything but that's the hope for this summer. I was hoping to get some eyes on the system and made a quick post earlier but figured it'd help to give a brief explanation.

My intention with the system is to solve (at least in my mind) a few issues I've had with DnD editions I've played.
-Scaling HP, HP is not meat, yet conditions like fatigue are entirely separate from HP
-The limits of classes, I've always like skill based systems
-Feeling unable to interact with opponents on your turn
-Armor Class. I am a much bigger fan of Armor as DR
-"Vancian Magic" I mostly got rid of it, but remnants of it are still here for those that would like to use it.

A character is has a few key components, base stats, derived stats, path abilities, skill bonuses, and an action pool.

Base stats haven't changed much at all from your traditional 3.x and 5e.

Derived stats include things like Defense, HP (which in this system function as "meat points"), base move speed, and fatigue points which are used to make special attacks and cast spells.

Path Abilities. This pretty much replaces class abilities. The abilities are sorted into warrior, rogue, and mage.

Skill bonuses work similarly to The Firefly RPG setting. The skills that exist in 5th ed are the skills that exist, if a character is trained in the skill the character gets +3. A character may specialize in a subset of those skills and then gains a +6 skill bonus with that more specialized version of the skill.

Action Pool. All characters start with two generic action die that may be used for things like casting spells, making attacks, and moving. When a character has gained a certain amount of path abilities in one path the character gains a typed dice that may only be used for actions related to those related to the path. Casting spells for mages, making attacks for fighters, running away for rogues.

So, them's the basics. If your interested or just have criticism I'd like to hear it. I am interested in play testing this sucker and come mid May I wouldn't mind running a play-test online.

The System https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uzKo7FJL0iHT4eNe3hMQnXFlxxKEvuxmcH2Pacnng2Y/edit#

Path Abilities (tabs at bottom for different paths) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17TvwROAT8Ivp43gNKmYGFB1qZRXDz3k2Qiylm8tiGok/edit#gid=0

Spells https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aN2gz2Uh-3NdAOIK2aSyiynxmJawHaiozihf0Xyb1rk/edit#gid=0

There are some things I plan on adding: skill description, crafting rules, some higher level technology, a system of backgrounds, more spells, and another path. Path of the Craftsman.