PDA

View Full Version : I have a bad history with gaming groups, and how to get a reliable group

Mastikator
2015-03-27, 08:47 AM
My "current" group is basically disbanded, it's ostensibly still going but last year we played 3 sessions and this year is nill. It's not looking like we'll ever play again. It's mostly because the DM is always busy.

The group before that imploded, I don't think any of the players still wanted. And the game imploded the moment two of the players had an argument. (Ironically one of the players was always complaining about lack of commitment from everyone else)

The thing is, I know how to find players, I've done it before. I've organized groups. I've recruited strangers into a group. I don't really need advice on that front.

But I have no idea on how to get good reliable people. People that can and will show up every week. I feel like I'm a dying breed here.

Geddy2112
2015-03-27, 09:22 AM
Good people are hard to find. You can find plenty of players, but good ones are another story. If you are just recruiting from everywhere, you are going to get the gambit and might find a couple good players, maybe. The other problem you might be having is that you might have good gamers, but some people simply can't/don't work well together in a game due to vastly different playstyles, life commitments etc.

I would recruit from people you know well. Friends, family, and coworkers you like are good picks. Even if you only find 1-2, hopefully they know 1-2 people. Once you find enough people, make sure everybody is on the same page from the get go, so you don't have a playstyle clash. It is probably best if you find a bunch of newbies because they won't have their own playstyle yet and you can all develop it together.