PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragonlance Races - The Kender

M Placeholder
2015-03-27, 03:40 PM
True Kender

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/333/d/3/profile_picture_by_kender_tasslehoff-d6w5e50.jpg

The Child race of Krynn, kender are found on the continent of Ansalon.

Traits

As a kender, you have the following racial traits -

Size: kender range in height between 3 and 4 foot, and weigh between 80 and 100 pounds. Your size is small.
Speed: All kender are very light on their feet. your speed is 30 feet.
Ability Score Adjustment: Kender are very mobile. Your dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score goes up by 1.
Fearless - You cannot be frightened. When you fail a fear check, you only get a feeling of butterflies in your stomach
Nimble Hands – As a kender, you are skilled at breaking locks, to see just what is behind that door. You are proficient in Slight of Hand.
Playground of Chislev – Due to your curiosity, you know a lot about Nature and have proficiency in nature.
Taunt - You have an uncanny insight into the motivations and characteristics of other races, and you can use this insight to infuriate them. As an action, you can unleash a verbal barrage of sarcasm, insults, and crude comments against a creature. As an Action, you can force a target within 30 feet who can hear you and understand your language to make a Charisma saving throw against a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. If you win the contest, the target must use its next action to attack only you. The target attacks you with disadvantage during this action. If the target wins the contest, it is immune to your Taunt for 24 hours. If it fails, then it gains advantage on subsequent saves against this.
Kender Pockets – as a kender, you pick things up and pocket them, and then often forget about them. If you find yourself in need of a piece of non-magical equipment, there is a 25 percent chance you have it. Roll a d4. If you roll a 4, you find the item in your pocket, pack, or pouch. If you roll anything else, you don’t have such an item on you, and you can’t search again for the same item until you’ve spent at least one day in a town or city. Rummaging through your pouches, pack, and pockets in this way takes 1 minute.
Languages - You can speak, read, and write Common and Kenderspeak

M Placeholder
2015-03-27, 03:49 PM
Kender Weapons

The Hoopak

The iconic weapon of the kender and the one that has helped them through some dark times as a race, the hoopak is not only a deadly and versatile weapon, but can also function as an instrument for picking apples, gathering an object for handling, or an actual instrument of music

The hoopak is a 3 foot staff that is made of hardwood, and is forked at one end, and at the other, is covered in a metal tip in many cases. Between the forks, a sling is slung. Often the hoopak is hollowed out to hold stones for ammunition or other objects, and to make a rattle. The use of the hoopak as a weapon is threefold.
First, it can be used like a spear, with the metal tip hoopak coming in useful for this purpose. It can also be planted into the ground tip first, allowing for missiles to be fired like a slingshot. It can also be used as a traditional sling staff.
The hoopak is also a musical instrument. As it is swung in a circle, it emits a low bullroar, and if it is filled with stones, it can also be used as a shaker.

Stats
Cost – 7 steel pieces
Damage 1d6 piercing, ammunition 1d6 bludgeoning
Properties – Thrown (Range 20/50)
Ammunition (Range 30/120)

PotatoGolem
2015-03-28, 01:03 AM
Taunt is way too strong. Nothing else in this edition (that I'm aware of) forces an enemy to attack you. Right now, it's basically an at-will Command for enemies that are far away, forcing them to waste a turn. A kender rogue could literally lock anyone except an archer out of a battle pretty much permanently. I'd bring it more in line with Compelled Duel or the Bear Totem- disadvantage on attacks against people other than you.

M Placeholder
2015-03-28, 02:02 AM
Taunt is way too strong. Nothing else in this edition (that I'm aware of) forces an enemy to attack you. Right now, it's basically an at-will Command for enemies that are far away, forcing them to waste a turn. A kender rogue could literally lock anyone except an archer out of a battle pretty much permanently. I'd bring it more in line with Compelled Duel or the Bear Totem- disadvantage on attacks against people other than you.

Agreed. Its a bit too strong. I'll come up with something to tone it down.

eleazzaar
2015-04-02, 10:48 PM
Are those "coming soon" subraces? I think it would be clearly overpowered, if you get more bonuses on top of what's already there. Maybe it is already a pretty powerful race compared to the other PHB races, i'm not exactly sure how strong some of these features are.

Also, pedantic note: 5e style doesn't give +1s to saves and -2s to skill rolls.

To stick with 5e style, I'd give them disadvantage vs deception rolls, and proficiency with will saves (which better emulates the power of optimism.), which probably also decreases power a bit.

I was going to mention that the next playtest had a kender at some point, but i see from your descriptions that you've referenced it.

M Placeholder
2015-04-05, 02:01 PM
Are those "coming soon" subraces? I think it would be clearly overpowered, if you get more bonuses on top of what's already there. Maybe it is already a pretty powerful race compared to the other PHB races, i'm not exactly sure how strong some of these features are.

Also, pedantic note: 5e style doesn't give +1s to saves and -2s to skill rolls.

To stick with 5e style, I'd give them disadvantage vs deception rolls, and proficiency with will saves (which better emulates the power of optimism.), which probably also decreases power a bit.

I was going to mention that the next playtest had a kender at some point, but i see from your descriptions that you've referenced it.

Thanks for the comments! As soon as I get my computer sorted out, Ill have the rest up.

The coming soon stuff are all fluffwise subraces, but as a lot of the crunch for kender revolves around their mindsets, they will all have quite different stats. As such, they will be all races.

All of them will have the same weight, the same look and the same height, but with different mindsets.

Jurai
2015-04-06, 06:01 PM
Honestly, I think the Kender Taunt could be better replicated by Compelled Duel.

M Placeholder
2015-08-10, 07:23 AM
Hi everyone, its been a while. I'm getting back on to all the Kender races, and should I give advantage on Saving Throws instead of +?

More races will be up tomorrow.

Ralanr
2015-08-10, 09:19 AM
Hi everyone, its been a while. I'm getting back on to all the Kender races, and should I give advantage on Saving Throws instead of +?

More races will be up tomorrow.

That would be a better version of the gnome ability.

I think Kendar would work better as a halfling subrace.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-10, 10:06 AM
Okay so let me try my hand at the basic point breakdowns.

+2 Dex and +1 Cha: 3 pts
Small: -.5
Fear Immunity: 1 pt
+1 to all saving throws? hmm. Idk man that should change, maybe 1 free pass on a save per long rest? (1.5pts)
Deception: I would make that a Disadv on deception, but your wording makes it sound like it should be Insight (but then it doesn't sound like a kender) either or -.5 for each.
Skill proficiencies: .5 each
Taunt: I would look at the WotC swashbuckler rogue and the 7th level feature 'Panache'. Taunts are potent, So I would label your's as a 1.5
Pockets: Thank you for applying this, it made its way into standard 3.5 as a halfing feat (distant cousin nonesense. Anyway, not too intense, just really nifty. 1 pt

Total (with suggestions based on my opinion of 5e patterns) = 8, that's equal to the most powerful PHB race, the Mountain Dwarf.

The race seems a bit intense to me, but that might just be the legacy abilities that haven't been translated over. To offer that potency to saves that kenders can invoke, you could try this:
Persistant: When you roll a saving throw, before you know the results you can reroll with advantage, you must take the second result. You must finish a long rest before you can use the ability again.

M Placeholder
2015-09-22, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone, just put up all the subraces of the Kender except for the Marak Kender. I was wondering what else to put up for the Kendar, and both types of kunda.

Ill start with the Domain of Fizban tomorrow.

Edit - here is the Kencyclopedia by the way. (http://www.dlnexus.com/downloads/11762.pdf)