PDA

View Full Version : YAY Good Eats

Call_me_Fate
2007-04-12, 12:12 AM
I don't know if this was posted anywhere else, since it is a few days old, but the show Good Eats won a Peabody award! If you are not familiar with the show, it is a fun, entertaining, and informative 'cooking' show on Food Network. Even if you are not a fan of cooking show, I suggest you take a look if you can, as the show offers much more than simple recipes. Alton Brown, the host, teaches the chemist behind the cooking, and he does it with a funny wit. It is worth a look for anyone!

Congrats again to the show. I don't really know a lot about the Peabody awards, but hey, an award is an award, right?

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-12, 12:16 AM
I know one place it was posted...on my blog! :smallsmile:

Yeah, that's super-cool. AB is fantastic. Lots of nerd humor, sci-fi, fantasy, and Monty Python references, plus excellent food science! I highly recommend it.

Mr Croup
2007-04-12, 08:27 AM
That's awesome. I absolutely love Good Eats, and I'm very excited that AB's going to be filming another series of Feasting on Asphalt later this year. There's an article in Atlanta Magazine about him that is really quite good. Don't know if it's available online, I'll see if I can find out.

I live in Atlanta, or more rightly the suburbs and have actually spotted him out and about, and my wife ran into the woman who plays W, Vickie Eng, who is incredibly nice evidently. One of these days I'm going to run into Alton somewhere, and make a complete fool of myself, I'm sure.

Abacab
2007-04-12, 08:31 AM
Awesome! Alton Brown is the coolest person on the Food Network! His simple explanations make sense because of the cool objects he uses, and he's funny!

Congrats, Good Eats!

Call_me_Fate
2007-04-12, 09:00 AM
That's awesome. I absolutely love Good Eats, and I'm very excited that AB's going to be filming another series of Feasting on Asphalt later this year. There's an article in Atlanta Magazine about him that is really quite good. Don't know if it's available online, I'll see if I can find out.

I live in Atlanta, or more rightly the suburbs and have actually spotted him out and about, and my wife ran into the woman who plays W, Vickie Eng, who is incredibly nice evidently. One of these days I'm going to run into Alton somewhere, and make a complete fool of myself, I'm sure.

Wow, that is so cool. I always see the locations of where he goes to shop and I want to visit them. Time to pack up and vacation in Atlanta!

Mr Croup
2007-04-12, 09:18 AM
Yeah, it's pretty cool. Each time I go to the stores where he regularly films, I keep hoping that I'll bump into him. One of these days, I tell you.

Sirelroka
2007-04-12, 09:54 AM
I love Good Eats! Alton Brown in my kind of nerd. Hopefully this Feasting on Asphalt wont involve any broken body parts.

Reinforcements
2007-04-12, 10:36 AM
It is no exaggeration to say that Good Eats is my very favorite television show. Alton Brown is my personal hero.

Woot Spitum
2007-04-12, 02:53 PM

Another Feasting on Asphalt series? Sign me up! Maybe this time he'll go through Texas and Oklahoma.

Good Eats is a great show. I think my favorite episode is the one on poaching (the Frenchman brain-washing Paul, priceless).

Jalil
2007-04-12, 03:34 PM
Blerg. Rant time!

So, in 2002, AB does this thing in Raleigh, NC. Since it's only a few hours from where I used to live, my dad and I head down. We got to see his show, e taught us how to cook this wonderful shrimp dish, and he actually commented on my shirt, saying how it was a first edition one, and that he didn't have one of those.

I stayed after (along with dozens of others) and got him to sign my book, his cooking utensils one. Afterwards, I got my picture taken. And now, I can't find it. What luck...

In any case, that's great! I have to say, GE is the only cooking show I watch, mainly because it relies on sleeper humor(monty python references, for one) as well as rather dry wit. Most entertaining.

Cheers!

Mr Croup
2007-04-12, 03:36 PM
Another Feasting on Asphalt series? Sign me up! Maybe this time he'll go through Texas and Oklahoma.

He'll be shooting the new season in the latter half of this month and next month, and they're slated to air in August. I don't know what areas he'll be heading to though.

Good Eats is a great show. I think my favorite episode is the one on poaching (the Frenchman brain-washing Paul, priceless).

Yeah, definitely a great episode is great. And to think, I once played putt putt in that very spot. I don't know if I could narrow things down enough to pick a favorite myself though.

Varen_Tai
2007-04-12, 04:56 PM
Love the show. I am told that when my hair's longer than it is now and I have my glasses on, I look an awful lot like him. My little nephew was watching an episode with us once, and he turned to his dad and said, "Daddy, why is Uncle Ian on TV?" It was great. ;)

jjpickar
2007-04-12, 05:11 PM
Good Eats taught me how to toss pizza...the cheesy goodness is mine now and forever!!!

Azrael
2007-04-12, 05:14 PM
The only reason I noticed this thread is because I'm killing time right now until the Good Eats rerun comes on at 7:00.

Ironic to say the least.

Reinforcements
2007-04-12, 11:09 PM
Here's a question: what Good Eats recipes has everyone tried? I love to cook, although I don't do it that often, so I've tried a few. I made his fruit cake at Christmas for the past two years, and it is possibly the best thing I've ever eaten. I've also made his tomato sauce, which was really good, and his mussels-with-sauce recipe. That was only okay, but I think that mostly had to do with crappy mussels.

Call_me_Fate
2007-04-12, 11:14 PM
See, that it one of the things I find so great about Good Eats. He might give a recipie, but what I learn about food interactions I take into everything I cook. Most of my favorites have some aspect I learned from AB.

One thing I did try though was a granolia bar he made. Those were great!

Varen_Tai
2007-04-13, 06:35 AM
The corn dogs and mini-burgers from the Man Food Show, the chocolate mousse, the home ground steak burgers... and.... and... I KNOW I've done something else, but I just can't remember...

Sirelroka
2007-04-13, 10:04 AM
I've personally made "The Chewy (http://www.annearchy.com/sirelroka/2006/10/chewy.html)" of his chocolate chip cookie recipes (Episode - Three Chips for Sister Marsha). My husband (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=4945) has made a lot of his recipes and like Call Me Fate said, he uses the techniques learned even more often.

smellie_hippie
2007-04-13, 10:22 AM
Yay Alton Brown! The "Bill Nye" of the Food Network. I enjoy the show, and try to watch it frquently. I have too many TV programs that draw my attention though.... I need to cut back.... :smallfrown:

Hephaestus
2007-04-16, 09:51 AM
I love good eats! That show deserves an award. The idea of a second feasting on asphalt makes me so excited! The best thing about Alton Brown is he seems to be immune to the Rachel Ray virus, that makes you smile uncontrolably at all times while the camera is on.

Call_me_Fate
2007-04-16, 10:01 AM
AB has a background in video production, so he knows what looks good, and smiling all the time does not.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-16, 10:33 AM
I really wanted to see his show on rues. The making of a good creamy rue has eluded me for a long long time. Plus it really sucks that right now I don't have cable so the closest I can get for cooking shows is PBS. :P

Hephaestus
2007-04-16, 04:34 PM
I really wanted to see his show on rues. The making of a good creamy rue has eluded me for a long long time. Plus it really sucks that right now I don't have cable so the closest I can get for cooking shows is PBS. :P
YouTube? BitTorrent?

blatto
2007-04-16, 06:40 PM
I stumbled onto this thread while watching the Eggplant episode.

I love Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt. I have been dying for a fry-bread taco ever since it came out. Loved the scenery in Colorado too.

I think the biggest influence AB has had on my cooking has been taking me from a recipe reader to someone who understands what, how, and why about a recipe, and that's what being a cook is all about. Hmm ... someone should make an Alton Brown stick figure avatar.

Call_me_Fate
2007-04-16, 07:39 PM
Hmm ... someone should make an Alton Brown stick figure avatar.

That would rock.

blackout
2007-04-17, 06:37 AM
I used to watch this ALL the time! :)

SoulSpear
2007-04-17, 07:43 PM
Me and my brother would watch this when we were both hungry, but both to lazy to go get food.

nivek1234
2007-04-17, 11:43 PM
I am a big fan, I don't see it as often as I did (I tend to be busy when it is usually on). I tried the slow-cook oatmeal recipe. It ended up a little over-cooked, it was either the temperature was too high or the extra hour or so was too much. Even with that, it was quite good (and I'm not usually an oatmeal person).

Maga
2007-04-21, 11:39 AM
I'm hoping that this year's FoA will take him up into Maine (where I hail from), especially if he figures out, unlike the rest of the Food Network gang- I'm looking at YOU, Ray!- that Maine does NOT stop at Portland! :smallfurious:

Seriously, AB should totally hit my hometown, especially during either the Lobster or Blues Festivals. If he came during the Blues Festival, I have this really entertaining image of him doing the "Pub Crawl" with everyone else! XD

Other than that, congrats on the Peabody Good Eats!