PDA

View Full Version : D&D: Any special rules for Children's stats?

Mr. Moon
2007-04-12, 03:53 PM
I had an idea for a 12 year old Sorceror. I remembered that there were rules for ageing, so I wondered if kids would have any special moddifiers to their stats. Any ideas?

Machete
2007-04-12, 03:55 PM
Sadly not that I know of.

However.

You may be interested in this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40466

Holocron Coder
2007-04-12, 04:22 PM
Along with the other listings of modifiers-by-age, they have ability modifiers for people underage. I believe it's almost a blanket -2 to everything, or very close to such.

Lemur
2007-04-12, 05:14 PM
Not for D&D specifically, but one d20 thing is more or less similar to another one in many cases.

Star Wars d20 gives a blanket -1 to all stats for young adult (12-15 for humans) and an additional -3 to physical and -1 to mental for children (total -4 physical, -2 mental).

The Game of Thrones d20 handbook did it differently, and I liked their system a bit better.

Young Child 7-8 -4 Str, +2 Dex, -3 Con, +2 Cha +6 Hide, +2 Climb, +1 Bluff
Child 9-11 -3 Str, +2 Dex, -3 Con, +2 Cha +4 Hide, +2 Climb, +2 Bluff
Early teen 12-13 -2 Str, +1 Dex, -2 Con, +1 Cha +2 Hide, +2 Climb, +2 Bluff
Young adult 14-15 -1 Str, -1 Con +1 Hide, +1 Climb, +1 Bluff
(rest of table is same as normal D&D aging)
Notes: Penalties and bonuses are not cumulative.
Children 11 and under are not very physically mature. They move at 20 ft. per round, and are effectively Small sized.

Dhavaer
2007-04-12, 05:18 PM
d20 Modern gives -3 Str, -1 Dex, -3 Con, -1 Int, -1 Wis, -1 Cha to children under 11.

Perkipc
2011-02-15, 11:07 AM
Here you go, everything you need to know about children in D&D.

It is in one of the core books aswell, but I can never find the right one when I am searching for it.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Child_%283.5e_Template%29

Also if you want to use dice, and have separate things for separate age ranges, including awakened toddlers (sigh to the druids for that one) go here.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/katz/dnd/kids.html

Though this one isn't entirley cannon, it does work most of the time.

Tenebris
2011-02-15, 02:11 PM
This reminds me one concept of mine - an 8 year old wizard alienist who studied under most terrifying creatures that can be found in the dreamscape (Heroes of Horror rules for dreaming, requires many feats though :smallannoyed: ). Never really used it though and it's not especially strong. But allows to mess with people's minds, which is cool.

DiBastet
2011-02-15, 03:53 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-young-cr-1

There you go.

Varlician
2013-02-18, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the various links for this. A Lich used the spell 'Longevity' (from 'The Secret College of Necromancy' book) on my character and turned me into a 4 year old :(

We were stumped during our last session on how to deal with the stat changes.
The only plus side was, i'm a Dex based character, the downside is, i'm now a level 6 with 20 something HP and my str was already 9 before, it's now 5 :(

I blame the rest of my party however, because they ran off and left me to fight by myself and i couldn't escape at first.

Dr Bwaa
2013-02-18, 03:16 PM
Here you go...

Never, ever, ever, ever trust anything you read on dandwiki. Not ever. That place is essentially an unmoderated free-for-all where you can post your homebrew so you can then link your GM to it and say "look it's core!"
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/6748/68780140.jpg

On topic, I've seen a few threads in this vein around here over the years; there's never been a unified consensus to my knowledge. The PF link that DiBastet gave is probably the way to go.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-18, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the various links for this. A Lich used the spell 'Longevity' (from 'The Secret College of Necromancy' book) on my character and turned me into a 4 year old :(

Well, my normal advice is to either not apply any modifiers (since PCs are supposed to be extraordinary) or use the ability adjustments of a halfling, but this is a bit out of the ordinary, because of the extremely young age and unnatural way it was reached. Glad your group found a solution, but shouldn't the spell have set down penalties?

Varlician
2013-02-18, 06:43 PM
The spell technically isn't meant to be used as an offensive spell, it's used by people wishing to extend their lives (it reduces your age 1d10 each time it's used). If cast as an attack, it requires a save (which i failed miserably). It doesn't actually state what to do with stats if you're reduced too much, but it does mention being reduced to a baby - but again giving no stats.

The only good thing to come from it happening, is all the people who are hunting my character, will not be looking for me as a 4 year old lol.

Our DM is quite good though and will weigh up different options before we make a final decision next week.
I was going to use Quintesential Human, but then realized my str, dex and con according to their rules, would all equal my age, so 4... which just destroys my character.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-18, 07:00 PM
Here you go, everything you need to know about children in D&D.

It is in one of the core books aswell, but I can never find the right one when I am searching for it.

Yeah... that's homebrew.

Here's a tip. Never use that site. Ever. Anything official you can find on that can be found on the official SRD.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-19, 12:27 AM

We were stumped during our last session on how to deal with the stat changes.

Get a better DM.

Ashtagon
2013-02-19, 03:31 AM
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8366

That covers pretty much everything I have to say about children in d20 systems.

VanIsleKnight
2013-02-19, 05:38 AM
I'd say a 6-7 would work out nicely for a 12 year old. That's roughly what I think a youth would/could be, anyway. I actually have two separate theories on how you could play/create a child character.

This is pretty much how I would see it, using the point buy method:

10 is an average human being adult or young adult.
8-9 could be a teenager
6-7 a youth (basically a preteen)
4-5 would be a kid (up to 10 or 11 years of age perhaps)
2-3 would be a toddler
1 would be an infant basically

Obviously there would be variances based on natural genetics/destiny/etc. That'd be the +2 stat boost for being human, and I guess any stat boosts you'd get from leveling up and having magical gear. And the points you're given at creation.

So, going from 6 to 7 would be six points (I think?), 7 to 8 would be four, 8 to 9 would be two, 9 to 10 would be 1.

25 point buy, you could get to close to two normal adult stats as a twelve year old by spending all 25 points. Of course if you wanted to go straight Charisma you could spend 23 of them to get a 16, then use your +2 stat boost as a human to pump it 18, and ignore the remainder of your points. Though that would be a mite ridiculous xD If you were a Paladin you could have +7 to Fort and Will if you could make it to level 2 somehow. You'd be essentially a child prodigy if this was in Intelligence. Nevermind the physical stats. Wisdom would be cool, children can be surprisingly insightful, and you could be an awesome cleric of Loki or something like that :smallwink:

I imagine that you could also something similar to the aging rules given for when you go from adult to middle-age, middle-age to old, etc. You could say from adult to teenager, teenager to child, child to toddler.

"1 At middle age, –1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

2 At old age, –2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

3 At venerable age, –3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha."

So your Dex goes up by 1 when you're a teenager, but everything else goes down by one. Then your Dex and Cha go up by 2 when you're a child, everything else goes down by 2. Then your Cha goes up by 5 when you're a toddler, everything else goes down by 5.

Starting from a base of 10, your kid sorcerer would have 7 Str, 10 Dex, 7 Con, 7 Int, 7 Wis, 9 Cha. Give the +2 stat bonus to Cha and now it's 11, level up at 4 when you get second level spells, and put the stat boost so you have 12.

Of course that means a toddler would have 3 Str, 5 Dex, 3 Con, 3 Int, 3 Wis, and 14 Cha. Which is obviously all sorts of silly hilarious because of toddler sorcerer magical mishaps, but honestly, just think how adorable/persuasive a toddler actually can be :smallwink::smalltongue::smallbiggrin: Get a +2 bonus on Int so that they can actually speak and learn how to do the verbal/somatic components and you have a 3 or 4 year old with an advanced brain so s/he's as mischievous and cunning as a ragamuffin kid that's anywhere between 6-9 with spells running at a +2 modifier xD

If you're -extremely- lucky you could get all the way to 20th level and have a 19 Charisma without magical boosts and be able to cast 9th level spells at a relatively young age xD Maximum silliness, but Destined mortals are crazy special that way. :P

Obviously these are a little broken if you think too hard about it, I mean, the way the game works if you pick the right class and put your skill point every level into Diplomacy and feat dumped into it you could get... +8 to Diplomacy I think at first level with that 2nd method as a 'smart' toddler. Or +10 as a child with the first.

Suddenly, solving arguments, negotiating agreements, and convincing a hostile creature that wants to kill you or means you ill-will is... child's play

:smallcool:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-19, 06:25 AM
Get a better DM.

Really? The only problem I see is that the DM didn't think ahead and make up appropriate adjustments for being de-aged like this.

prufock
2013-02-19, 09:41 AM
Never, ever, ever, ever trust anything you read on dandwiki. Not ever. That place is essentially an unmoderated free-for-all where you can post your homebrew so you can then link your GM to it and say "look it's core!".

While I agree that dandwiki is not always reliable, it does have separate sections for homebrew and OGL material, which you can identify if you just take the time to check the breadcrumb at the bottom.

Dr Bwaa
2013-02-19, 10:36 AM
While I agree that dandwiki is not always reliable, it does have separate sections for homebrew and OGL material, which you can identify if you just take the time to check the breadcrumb at the bottom.

Well, first-off, that's only true for pages you arrived at via the main page. People are far more likely to get there from Google, where they may end up with breadcrumbs like this one, which is for the first random homebrew I found:

Main Page → Dungeons and Dragons → Character Options → Feats → General Feats

That doesn't come close to suggesting that the content is homebrew. If you go all the way to the bottom, you find the "User" category, which does indicate homebrew., but again: not obvious, and certainly not guaranteed to be there.

Besides that, it's a publicly-editable wiki. My point was that, as Jade Dragon also mentioned, anything legitimate that you can find on that site is available on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/), without the confusion. If you need to look things up from real material but outside of core, use dndtools (http://dndtools.eu/) instead, which has sources listed prominently and unambiguously.

PersonMan
2013-02-19, 01:35 PM
Besides that, it's a publicly-editable wiki. My point was that, as Jade Dragon also mentioned, anything legitimate that you can find on that site is available on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/), without the confusion. If you need to look things up from real material but outside of core, use dndtools (http://dndtools.eu/) instead, which has sources listed prominently and unambiguously.

Once one gets past the original "non-SRD = homebrew" hurdle, it's actually a fine site. I prefer it to the other SRD because it's, in my opinion, significantly better organized and the presentation is much better.

To each his own, I guess.

prufock
2013-02-19, 02:50 PM
Well, first-off, that's only true for pages you arrived at via the main page.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this, but I assume anything not marked OGC is homebrew. I can see why that would be a problem.

Jay R
2013-02-20, 10:14 AM
The only time I played a child was the result of weird roles. It was original D&D, so 3d6 for each stat, rolled in order. I don't remember all the stats, but:

STR: 3
DEX: 16
WIS: 4
CHA: fairly high

I was about to dump him when the DM said, "That's a 9-year-old kid!"

Always go with the idea that sings to the DM. David became a very successful 9-year-old Thief.

Varlician
2013-02-20, 11:45 AM
Got to say, the DM is a very good DM, i think turning my character into a child wasn't on his list of things to do, but in fairness, the rest of the party abandoned me to fight a lich by myself, so the Lich changed tactics - it was a spell on his list, so he used it.

Plus side, sole XP for me for defeating the encounter of a Dry Lich & a Clay Golem! woohoo!