PDA

View Full Version : An idea I want to put in my campaign setting...

GoblinGilmartin
2015-03-31, 08:02 AM
In my campaign setting, The GobLands, humans are a declining race. After seeing an interesting Game Theory episode, I was inspired to place this bit of fluff into my setting. What do you think?

The human Kingdoms of Rog are all but gone, the Goblins long since taking importance on the worldstage. while the majority of the kingdoms have turned to philosophical and religious pursuits, others have become vast slums. one kingdom, Shiragia is left in near ruins after a young princess is left in charge whne both of her parents are taken out in a mass regicide known as the Golden Wilt. Wth little experience in leading anything anything more than a choir, she decides she needs some help, locating the shrine of an old, hidden fungus god known as Mykon. Mykon grants her untold power, and an army of Myconian soldiers with which to keep order, The new inhabitants of Shiragia have lead to outside observers to nickname the land "The Mushroom Kingdom".:smallbiggrin:

Nyt
2015-03-31, 08:42 AM
Seems like a fun concept, though I believe the term you were looking for was "Myconid", not "Myconian". My real question is how this princess survived the "Mass Regicide" that wiped out her parents. Also, try to put some thought of the effect this would have on the populace. Is there general malcontent amongst the citizens? What do the gentry think? What about others who want her throne? Do the myconid soldiers answer to the specific ruler, or to the throne? What does this fungus god want from her in return? What goals aside from simply holding her little kingdom together does the young Queen hold dear?

johnbragg
2015-03-31, 08:46 AM
Is the Mushroom Kingdom also threatened by an infestation of heavily-templated turtles?

Do all Shiragians get "Skill Focus: Plumbing" as a racial bonus feat?

Is the national sport steampunk/magitek Kart racing?

GoblinGilmartin
2015-03-31, 08:55 AM
Seems like a fun concept, though I believe the term you were looking for was "Myconid", not "Myconian". My real question is how this princess survived the "Mass Regicide" that wiped out her parents. Also, try to put some thought of the effect this would have on the populace. Is there general malcontent amongst the citizens? What do the gentry think? What about others who want her throne? Do the myconid soldiers answer to the specific ruler, or to the throne? What does this fungus god want from her in return? What goals aside from simply holding her little kingdom together does the young Queen hold dear?

These are the real questions.

A. I messed up. B. She just...wasn't there? C. Kinda. They were going to revolt and a lot of them were moving away. it's become somewhat totalitarian. D. Just her. E. Plot hook? F. Haven't decided yet. The Myconids act as soldiers, builders, and general servants.

Mykon was a god I was using in some earlier games, his places of worship were around giant clumps of various enchanted fungi in damp caves. the evil cults to him would eat bits of the altars and gain essentially Devil Fruit powers.

johnbragg
2015-03-31, 09:39 AM
Seems like a fun concept, though I believe the term you were looking for was "Myconid", not "Myconian". My real question is how this princess survived the "Mass Regicide" that wiped out her parents.

One option is that the regicide was designed to put a naive, easily manipulated youngster on the throne. She was spirited away "just in the nick of time" by a Jafar/Svengali/Rasputin/Mother Godel type, who is an agent of Mykon (or of the Mykonian conspiracy.) and leads her, "quite by accident" to the secret shrine.

Plot element: the Princess/Queen's fairly well-known Paladin half-brother, bastard son of the king. Being Lawful, he's a supporter of the Queen, until and unless he knows about her complicity with the regicides. (Genealogy can be adjusted to make the Paladin and the Queen cousins if you want to open the possibility of a royal wedding.) Being a paladin and whatnot, people figure he'd make a good king--but as a paladin, he's not going to move against the lawful queen. (Whether or not illegitimacy is a black mark in your setting, people make exceptions for royal blood.)

Plot element: From the origins of the French-English Hundred YEar's War, a foreign prince who is the closest MALE relative of the dead king, and makes his claim to the throne.

NOTE: If you don't want Mario Brothers references and a comedy campaign, I wouldn't use the Mushroom Kingdom term.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-03-31, 05:43 PM
One option is that the regicide was designed to put a naive, easily manipulated youngster on the throne. She was spirited away "just in the nick of time" by a Jafar/Svengali/Rasputin/Mother Godel type, who is an agent of Mykon (or of the Mykonian conspiracy.) and leads her, "quite by accident" to the secret shrine.

Plot element: the Princess/Queen's fairly well-known Paladin half-brother, bastard son of the king. Being Lawful, he's a supporter of the Queen, until and unless he knows about her complicity with the regicides. (Genealogy can be adjusted to make the Paladin and the Queen cousins if you want to open the possibility of a royal wedding.) Being a paladin and whatnot, people figure he'd make a good king--but as a paladin, he's not going to move against the lawful queen. (Whether or not illegitimacy is a black mark in your setting, people make exceptions for royal blood.)

Plot element: From the origins of the French-English Hundred YEar's War, a foreign prince who is the closest MALE relative of the dead king, and makes his claim to the throne.

NOTE: If you don't want Mario Brothers references and a comedy campaign, I wouldn't use the Mushroom Kingdom term.

That's actually a really good addition. as for the nickname, I figure that players would be making that joke anyway, and it is based on a dark interpretation of Princess Peach...