PDA

View Full Version : Charging... 100% [Creature, MitP II]

Angafirith
2007-04-12, 07:51 PM
Some wizards have no respect for the natural order of things, and one of the excellent examples is the Order of Bestial Elementalists. Specializing in genetics and revering the basic components of all magic, they breed and subvert nature's greatest beasts. One of the first species to be heightened in this way is the Thunder Boar. The boar is reddish brown in color and has thin, long bolts of electricity mixed with its neck hair, running backwards along its back and sides, moving in the wind. The tusks of the beast are long and curve completely around, creating a circle when seen from the front. Bending lines across the length of the tusks seem to be made of steel, rather than bone. When such beasts charge, they become veritable dynamos: they become nigh on unstoppable and channel the powerful currents through their bodies.

The boar stares at you and lets out a fierce snort. You hold your gaze and prepare to strike it with your spear. The bolts of electricity arc off of each other and the beast starts charging. You realize that this is not your run of the mill boar. Lines along the tusks tart to glow and spark. As it thunders towards you, the raw energy envelops its entire body. As it crashes into you, you realize why the villagers had been talking about a Thunder Bolt roaming the forest and killing hunters.

Thunder Boar
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 3d10+12 (28 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack / Grapple: +2 / +4
Attack: Shock Gore +4 melee (1d8+3 + 1d6 electricity)
Full Attack: Shock Gore +4 melee (1d8+3 + 1d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ferocity, Lightning Charge (3d6 electricity)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Resistance from electricity 5
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +7, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Toughness
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or herd (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: 4-5 Hit Dice (Medium)

Lightning Charge (Ex):
On a successful charge attack, a Thunder Boar does 3d6 additional electricity damage.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-12, 10:08 PM
Oops, nevermind- I see the Electricity Resistance now. (For some reason I was looking for the word "Lightning")

Great monster. I approve.

Matthew
2007-04-13, 07:07 PM
Looks mechanically sound and the concept is good; more fluff please.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 08:59 PM
I second the request for fluff.

Angafirith
2007-04-13, 09:44 PM
RFF (Request for Fluff) granted.

Additionally, is that Char Aznable I see? Or Zechs?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 09:48 PM
It's Zechs/one of my PbP characters, who is a ripoff of Zechs and Char combined.

Angafirith
2007-04-20, 11:59 PM
I'm modifying my fluff a little bit: it still seems somewhat bland to me. Right now, oddly enough, I'm feeling somewhat creative and hope to make some advancements in this regard.

Matthew
2007-04-21, 12:32 PM
I like the idea of Bestial Elementalists. I am a little wary of the idea that they actually manipulate genetics, given the supernatural nature of the beast.

Angafirith
2007-04-21, 08:43 PM
It's the scientist in me, I suppose. The man generally called the "father of modern genetics" was, after all, a 19th century monk. Do you think it would read better as "Specializing in animal breeding", rather than genetics?

Matthew
2007-04-22, 09:43 AM
Not sure, really. It just seems pseudo anachronistic to me. Animal husbandry might be more reasonable, if just as potentially anachronistic or Natural Science / History. I would probably end up rephrasing the sentence to emphasise the combination of natural and supernatural.

Ankhor
2007-04-23, 03:20 PM
This could be a nasty mount for small characters, if its temperament allows it. Of course, it wouldn't be particularly comfortable...

Angafirith
2007-04-23, 10:14 PM
Well, as a DM, I'd probably rule that you would take electricity damage when the thing charges, as the electricity envelops its body. I suppose that the 50 ft. per round movement speed is quite good. Maybe I should add a penalty to trying to ride the thing faster than you would a normal boar.

Leon
2007-04-26, 10:03 AM
Awesome Creature