PDA

View Full Version : Variant Lizardfolk?

Tyrael
2007-04-13, 02:57 AM
Ahoy, folks. Just curious, I was thinking of trying to rebuild my Lizardfolk PC, and the ECL and 2 Humanoid levels are really getting in the way of my possibilities. And so, I turn to the OotS community. If possible, can you guys cook me up an ECL +0, level-less Lizardfolk? The reason I'm not changing the entire race outright is that I like the Lizardfolk in terms of flavor and character, but it's a bit tricky to work with in terms of mechanics.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-13, 03:31 AM
The MMIII has the Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, which only gets LA+1.

Larrin
2007-04-13, 04:13 AM
well, the main reasons it has an LA is the +5 natural armour and non-net zero abilities so drop the racial junk, lower the Natural armour and loose the strength bonus (lizards are tougher then they are strong) thus you have:

+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
Medium size.
A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
+2 natural armor bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#naturalArmorBonus).
Natural Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons): 2 claws (1d4 (javascript:void(0);)) and bite (1d4 (javascript:void(0);)).
Special Qualities (see above): Hold breath.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Druid. not much there that requires a +LA

Maryring
2007-04-13, 04:23 AM
It is still a LA+1, because of natural weapons and a +2 natural armour bonus. I do believe a LA+0 lizardman has already been made though. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sorry, don't find it. Still, drop the Natural Armour, and you'll have a LA 0 race for you.

Dhavaer
2007-04-13, 04:28 AM
not much there that requires a +LA

The three natural attacks might. Dropping the claws and maybe lower the natural armour to +1 might be better.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-13, 05:44 AM
Variant Lizardfolk? There's Asabi in Monsters of Faerun, Dragonkin in Monsters of Faerun, Firenewts in Monsters of Faerun, Khasta in Fiend Folio, Ophidians in Fiend Folio, Pterafolk in Monsters of Faerun, Sarrukh in Serpent Kingdoms, Muckdweller in Serpent Kingdoms, Tren in Serpent Kingdoms and I think on the Wizards site, Troglodytes in the Monster Manual.

Here's some of the weaker Lizardfolk

Firenewts (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG48.jpg) are Lizardfolk adapted to volcanic environments. They have 2 HD but don't have any great stat adjustments and no natural armour so even with Fire subtype and an incredibly weak breath weapon I wouldn't give them a LA.

Asabi (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG16a.jpg) are desert Lizardfolk that come in two types. The smaller has 3 HD, a bonus to jumping, +2 natural armour and a few stat bonuses. With those HD I wouldn't give them a level adjustment but without them they might be worth +1 since they have no penalties to any ability score.

Troglodytes (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG246b.jpg) have the 2 HD problem as well. They have an official +2 LA.

Annoyingly all Lizardfolk seem to have at least 2 HD.
An Anthropomorphic Crocodile has 2 HD and +1 LA but has a slow land speed and it's a bit dubious since the Anthropomorphic giant lizard has +2 LA.

If you want to weaken Lizardfolk you could remove the claw attacks but keep the bite attack, balance their ability score adjustments and make sure their natural armour isn't above +2.

Luircin
2007-04-16, 09:22 PM
I've made up my own variant lizardfolk with a border between +0 and +1 LA, but the flavor of these lizardfolk is very different than in typical D&D.

If you want, I could post or PM the stats I came up with, though.

Tyrael
2007-04-16, 09:49 PM
Sure, post away.

Luircin
2007-04-16, 10:24 PM
All right, then, I will.

Lizardfolk

+2 CON, -2 CHA. Thanks to their flesh-altering experiments, lizardfolk are tougher than other races, but they are also alien to other races and mildly xenophobic at best.

Small size

Base land speed: 30 ft.

Darkvision 60 ft.

+2 racial bonus on saves vs. poison: The odd physiology of most lizardfolk make them resistant to most conventional poisons

+1 racial bonus on saves vs. spells and spell-like abilities: The magical experiments of their race have granted lizardfolk resistance to other magical effects.

+1 natural armor bonus

Natural attack: Bite (1d4)

Grafts: Lizardfolk may take grafts from two different species (As opposed to one species, as is the norm), and the graft limit for the lizardfolk is increased by two. Additionally, each lizardfolk is given a minor graft of some kind when born (This does not count towards the graft limit). Choose one graft from the following list:

Enhanced tail: The lizardfolk gains a +4 bonus on ability checks to avoid being tripped or bull rushed when standing on the ground. The lizardfolk also gains a +4 bonus on Balance checks.

Claws: The normally vestigial claws on the lizardfolk’s forepaws are enhanced. Gain two natural claw attacks (1d3).

Thick scales: The lizardfolk gains a +2 natural armor bonus rather than a +1

Magical protection: The lizardfolk gains a +2 racial bonus vs. spells and spell-like abilities instead of +1.

Enhanced lungs: The lizardfolk gains the Hold Breath (Ex) ability.

Favored Class: Wizard

LA: +0

Increasing size to medium shouldn't adjust the LA if you want a normal-sized lizardfolk.

As you can see, the flavor is quite different. In my campaign, the lizardfolk worship the (largely unknown and slightly mad, albeit true neutral) god of magic, who chose them from all the races because they were isolated in their swamps and would remain unnoticed. The magical alterations that they make on themselves are a form of worship to them. They are in an underground (both literally and figuratively) war with the gnomes, who themselves are an isolated race.

I have one lizardfolk PC in my campaign. Instead of going with the flavor, though, he decided that he wanted to be a CW samurai... I imagine that there will be quite a culture shock if he ever travels back to his race.

I hope this helped! (And comments about whether this is LA+0, and if it's not, how to make it +0, would be much appreciated)

Edit: I made the favored class because I was hoping to challenge the stereotype that most people have of wizards. I was considering sorcerer or warlock, but the CHA penalty would have made the former somewhat nonsensical and the alignment restrictions would have made the latter problematic.

Leon
2007-04-23, 05:58 AM
Troglodytes Stink!

Person_Man
2007-04-23, 09:16 AM
Hey Tyrael. Did your DM not allow you to become Dragonborn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1)? I think that would solve all your problems. IF not, you could just use the stats and call it a variant Lizardfolk.

Necromas
2007-04-23, 05:52 PM
Quick Google search for LA 0 Lizardfolk results....

From a cached forum archive...

Noble Lizardfolk

Male: +2 con, -2 wis, -2 cha
Female: -2 str, +2 con
Medium size creatures: As medium size, Noble Lizardfolk suffers no penalties
Base speed 30 ft.
Natural armor bonus of +1 (previously: Noble Lizardfolk is treated as having natural armor. Thus they can take the Improved natural armor feat from the Monster Manual. Treat this as Natural armor bonus +0.)
-4 Penalty on saves vs. Cold spells or Cold effects.
Weapon familiarty: Kathras*
+4 bonus on balance checks. A Noble Lizardfolks tail grants it extraordinary balance.
+2 bonus on swim checks. While a Noble Lizardfolk has its tail for balance, they can also use it to swim better.
-2 penalty on ride checks. The tail makes it rather difficult to stay well-seated on a mount.
In Jantalas, Female Noble Lizardfolk can't become Clerics. Instead, they become Shamans*.
Favored Class: (Male) Ranger, (Female) Shaman
*Apparently these are a weapon and class unique to the guys campaign.

And

From a wiki...

Emberscale Lizardfolk (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Emberscale_%28DnD_Race%29) (5 racial HD, but with nice stats, powerful build, and bonus feats).

Tyrael
2007-04-23, 09:58 PM
Hey Tyrael. Did your DM not allow you to become Dragonborn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1)? I think that would solve all your problems. IF not, you could just use the stats and call it a variant Lizardfolk.

Yes indeed. The thing we ended up working out was taking the Lizardfolk and dumbing down the AC +5 to AC+2, and nixing the Monstrous Humanoid levels/feat. I admit I got the better end of that deal.