PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Warlock Pact: Primus

fattybear
2015-04-03, 04:24 PM
Warlock Pact: Primus
Primus, lord of modrons and of the Mechanus plane, doesn't only deal with constructs. He sometimes imbues powers to humanoids as champions of order. He sends these champions out into the world to convert others to the way of law and order. He believes in the lack of ego/morality.

Level 1: Absolute Hierarchy
Your patron, Primus, expects cold and calculating thought, and holds that none should place their desires over the whole. Individuals who have made pacts with Primus are usually Lawful, and often Lawful Neutral. Acting in an uncharacteristic manner is not favored by Primus. You are immune to charm as you obey only Primus.

Level 6: Law of Averages
For an ability check or saving throw, you can choose to take the average of the dice roll (10). You can decide on whether to apply this after your roll but before the DM's ruling. You can do this once every short or long rest. You also gain proficiency in tinker tools due to Primus' penchant towards constructs.

Level 10: Improved Law of Averages
When you attack, you can choose to do your average damage for one attack or cantrip, rounded down. You can do this once per round.

Level 14: Blessing of the Pentadrone
You have gained the powers of a pentadrone, one of the highest ranks a modron can attain. You can exhale a 30 foot cone of gas. Each creature must succeed on a CON saving throw or be paralyzed for one minute. The enemy can repeat the saving throw at the end of each turn. This feature can only be used once every long rest.

Primus Pact Spells
L1: Command, Protection from evil and good
L2: Zone of truth, calm emotions
L3: Dispel magic, hypnotic pattern
L4: Control water, fabricate
L5: dominate person, animate objects

Familiar: Monodrone (Not as handy as an imp or quasit for sure but the 120 feet truesight is pretty nice)
AC: 15, HP: 9
Speed: 30 feet, Fly 30 feet
- Axiomatic Mind: The monodrone can't be compelled to act in a manner contrary to its nature or its instructions.
- Truesight up to 120 feet
- Only knows Modron language

Actions:
Dagger; Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) piercing damage.

Javelin. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft. or
range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage.

eleazzaar
2015-04-03, 05:41 PM
Must be lawful alignment, preferably also neutral.

What happens if the PC is no longer lawful?

If you roll damage below your die/dice average, you can choose to instead do your average damage for one attack. Averages round down if at a fraction. For example, the average of d8 is 4.5 but rounds down to 4. The average of 2d6 is 3.5 + 3.5 = 7 so there is no rounding.
That will tend to slow things down, especially with attacks that have a lot of dice. Doing math may be thematic, but i think the 5e way of doing something like that is something like allowing you to always re-roll 1s and 2s on damage dice.

fattybear
2015-04-03, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback and good questions. I imagined that if you continued to not be lawful, then it would be similar to not following the pact you made with a patron, similar to pact breaks with other patrons. So it would be up to the DM on how he wants to play that out.

As for the calculations involved when there are a large number of dice involved, I agree it may slow combat down a little bit. Rerolling 1 and 2's like great weapon mastery might be too strong so maybe only rerolling on 1's? Hopefully the player already knows the averages for his character's attacks. :P

Perhaps making the average calculation simpler, where it is just (half the dice value) X (# of dice). Ex: 10d6 would be 10*3 = 30.

Wartex1
2015-04-03, 06:28 PM
I don't see how they would slow down combat, seeing how it's not hard to remember.

But why only on attacks? Why not cantrips? It's useless unless you're a BladeLock.

As for the "Take 10" feature, wouldn't 11 be the proper average?

fattybear
2015-04-03, 06:58 PM
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant for the average to apply to cantrips and spells as well.

As for the "Take 10", I just rounded down from 10.5 but 11 would work as well of course.

alackthereof
2015-04-05, 09:52 AM
Must be lawful alignment, preferably also neutral. You are immune to charm as you only obey Primus.
I understand your intent regarding this, but none of the classes have rigid alignment requirements. Also, as written, pact powers are not able to be revoked. That's not to say that your DM will let such a slight go ignored. I think that to be in alignment (no pun intended) with 5e, you could say:
Your patron, Primus, expects cold and calculating thought, and holds that none should place their desires over the whole. Individuals who have made pacts with Primus are usually Lawful, and often Lawful Neutral. Acting in an uncharacteristic manner is not favored by Primus.

Level 6: Law of Averages
For an ability check or saving throw, you can choose to take the average of the dice roll (10). You can decide on whether to apply this after your roll but before the DM's ruling. You can do this once every short or long rest. You also gain proficiency in tinker tools due to Primus' penchant towards constructs.
I feel that this is a reasonable benefit, and should work well in practice.

If you roll damage below your die/dice average, you can choose to instead do your average damage for one attack. Averages round down if at a fraction. For example, the average of d8 is 4.5 but rounds down to 4. The average of 2d6 is 3.5 + 3.5 = 7 so there is no rounding. You can do this once per round.
If you're able to do this every round, I would default to the always rounded down values, and state:
For your Attack action, you can choose to do your average damage for one attack, rounded down.
This is a more consistent way to use this ability, I feel.

Level 14: Blessing of the Pentadrone
You have gained the powers of a pentadrone, one of the highest ranks a modron can attain. You can exhale a 30 foot cone of gas. Each creature must succeed on a CON saving throw or be paralyzed for one minute. The enemy can repeat the saving throw at the end of each turn. Once per short/long rest.
I like the effect, but maybe it should be usable once per long rest only? The Hurl Through Hell ability is similarly usable once per long rest.

Chronos
2015-04-05, 12:36 PM
Don't say "attack action", just say "when you attack". That would cover weapons and Eldritch Blasts alike. It wouldn't cover damage spells that use a saving throw, but then again, how many of those does a warlock use anyway?

As for the alignment, if you can have good-aligned Fiend Pact warlocks, then why not also chaotic Primus Pact?

fattybear
2015-04-06, 04:52 PM
I agree that the blessing should be only once per long rest as it's pretty strong. That was a good catch.

All the discussion about the alignment make sense and I will change to reflect this. Thanks for the feedback.