PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [System] Taint

Xuldarinar
2015-04-10, 05:33 AM
THE TAINT OF EVIL

Moved to Complete Taint (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?436313-System-Complete-Taint).

Credit for most of this, or atleast the foundation of this, goes to NichG. I wanted to take what they suggested at one point in a thread discussing the use of taint in pathfinder, and expanding upon it.

spikeof2010
2015-04-10, 05:55 AM
I like the system so far. Keep up the good work! Reminds me a lot of the corruption system in UA.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-11, 09:54 AM
I like the system so far. Keep up the good work! Reminds me a lot of the corruption system in UA.

Well, as far as my contributions beyond the system within itself, I'll be drawing influences from different incarnations of the taint system. HH is where I'm most familiar, though OA and UA will get their representation. For instance, I might introduce Maho Bujin as an archetype. Maho Tsukai/Tainted Sorcerer/Tainted Scholar will likely be kept to feat representation though I might make a Tainted Bloodline for the sorcerer, at some point anyways.

My goal, feat wise, is to grant utilization of the taint system and make it something people will be likely to go for if provided the opportunity, but make it detrimental to the character from the fact that they are encouraged to increase their taint and there being an additional cost. All the power in the world means nothing to you, if you are likely to no longer be the one wielding it.

I acknowledge the faults of previous systems. They either wind up being too crippling, or too powerful, never finding a proper balance. I've already made it more difficult and problematic to cleanse taint, though there is no fatal point... yet. But it is also harder to have it go on runaway, as there are limits.

MojoBojangles
2015-04-12, 12:13 AM
Yes, please. Very cool system. I always loved the theme that Corruption or Taint systems gave in other games, or editions in terms of D&D. I think you've done a good job with this too. Balanced while being worthwhile. I'd definitely be interested in seeing more. Keep it up.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-12, 12:27 PM
The maho-bujin (OA) and the tainted sorcerer (UA) are now both represented in archetype form, if imperfectly. Both operate off of a mechanic where while they are more than likely stronger than others of their level, they are required to maintain a minimum taint score. They are provided with feats to help guide them along their paths, allowing them to not go out of their way to figure out how to advance their taint and thus allow them to advance in level, though a maho-bujin at this point must figure something out to get themselves past 15th level.. I'll have to add something. Till then, figure out a way to destroy souls I guess. If someone with one of these archetypes find their taint score decreased, they would not only likely face level drain but their class features would be directly weakened until they bring their taint score back up.

For instance, lets say you have a 12th level tainted sorcerer. If their taint score is brought down to 3.9, they suddenly are treated as a 9th level tainted sorcerer for the purpose of their class features until they can increase it back to 4. Keep in mind, they may also be suffering from level drain because of how the removal of taint works, meaning a high-level healer can really ruin your day. In order to reach 13th level, the tainted sorcerer would require a minimum taint score of 5. Given that they possess the corrupted spell feat, so long as they regularly utilize it they should have no trouble doing so.

Edit: I've ideas for more archetypes, atleast finishing up the remaining existing tainted classes.

Corrupt Avenger (Paladin or Magus) [Based on paladin class, but I note the CA is an arcane caster and uses a spellbook, so maybe..]
Maho-Tsukai (Oracle) [May or may not retain name. Is arcane, but also has strong ties to the Shugenja. Basically done as an oracle version of the tainted sorcerer]
Subverted Psion (Psion)
Tainted Scholar (Wizard or Loremaster) [If core class, it makes the most sense to do it as something for the wizard, but I could do a PrC archetype since Loremaster and Tainted Scholar share some mechanics]
Tainted Warrior (Fighter or Anti-paladin) [Since tainted strike works similar to smite, either I bestow a smite upon the fighter, or augment the anti-paladin's smite.]

spikeof2010
2015-04-13, 07:37 PM
Would you be willing to accept some homebrew from me using this system?

Xuldarinar
2015-04-13, 11:52 PM
Would you be willing to accept some homebrew from me using this system?

I welcome others to brew using this taint system.

MojoBojangles
2015-04-16, 12:51 PM
@ Xuldarinar: Have you gotten to use this at all in your own playtesting? Just curious. I don't have a current game, or else I would jump at the chance to test it out.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-16, 07:03 PM
@ Xuldarinar: Have you gotten to use this at all in your own playtesting? Just curious. I don't have a current game, or else I would jump at the chance to test it out.

I regretfully have been unable to play this, or admittedly anything I have homebrewed. I've balanced things by comparison to things there are, thinking of how well they look on paper, and depending upon the insights of others.

qazzquimby
2015-04-16, 07:26 PM
I'm about done with trying to run games, as they fall apart regardless of how much effort I put in, but if you want to run something centered around your homebrew I would play. I could even play multiple characters or builds if that would be helpful.

Xuldarinar
2015-08-21, 06:48 AM
I am going have to revisit this brew, adding content to work with the Occult Classes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes). If anyone has any suggestions to throw in regarding such a thing, I am open to them. Otherwise, left to my own devices, I'm sure I'll manage to create some things to add on.

Additionally: I still need to reflect the Corrupt Avenger and the Tainted Warrior in archetype form.

Edit: I've started on Tainted Warrior.

Edit 2: I need rules for tainted objects, tainted magic items, and objects that provide resistance against and/or absorption of taint. These may or may not be in part relevant to an archetype I may or may not be planning for a certain implement using class.

Edit 3: I'll have to make a new thread if I want to add more. I think shall.