PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Archetype] Radiant Blackguard (Antipaladin)

Xuldarinar
2015-04-18, 08:37 AM
RADIANT BLACKGUARD (ANTIPALADIN)
-While positive energy is typically a tool held by those of good, there are those that have learned to put it towards their own purposes. Vile knights bathed in radiance, a radiant blackguard is a wielder of magics most see as beacons of good, capable of using them as they should to mend the wounds of the living and rip apart the dead, or warping them to harm even those pure. A radiant blackguard has the following class features.

-Lay on Hands (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a radiant blackguard can heal wounds (his own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can use this ability a number of times equal to 1/2 his antipaladin level plus his Charisma modifier. With one use of this ability, a radiant blackguard can heal 1d6 hit points of damage for every two antipaladin levels she possesses. Using this ability is a standard action, unless the radiant blackguard targets himself, in which case it is a swift action. Despite the name of this ability, a radiant blackguard only needs one free hand to use this ability.

-Alternatively, a radiant blackguard can use this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures, dealing 1d6 points of damage for every two levels the radiant blackguard possesses. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Undead do not receive a saving throw against this damage. This replaces the Antipaladin's Touch of Corruption class feature.

-Searing Radiance: Starting at 3rd level, when a radiant blackguard uses a positive energy effect, such as his Lay on Hands or Cure Light Wounds, on a non-undead creature, he may choose to deal damage instead of healing them, using the effect on them as if they were undead. When using a positive energy effect to harm a living creature, half of the damage dealt is dealt as fire damage while the rest remains typeless. This replaces the Cruelty normally gained at 3rd level.

-Channel Positive Energy (Su): When a radiant blackguard reaches 4th level, he gainst the supernatural ability to channel positive energy like a cleric. Using this ability consumes two uses of his Lay on Hands ability. A radiant blackguard uses his level as his effective cleric level when channeling positive energy. This is a Charisma-based ability. This replaces the Antipaladin's Channel Negative Energy.

-Spellcasting: A radiant blackguard possesses a differing spell list from that of most antipaladins. A radiant blackguard adds the following spells to their spell list; 1st-Cure Light Wounds, Detect Undead, Sun Metal, Veil of Positive Energy. 2nd- Blinding Ray, Divine Illumination, Life Shield, Light Lance (unholy instead of holy). 3rd- Cure Moderate Wounds, Daybreak Arrow, Daylight. 4th- Chains of Light, Cure Serious Wounds, Symbol of Healing.

-Any spells added to the blackguard spell list that possess the good descriptor have it replaced with the evil descriptor. In addition, a radiant blackguard removes the following spells from their spell list; 1st- Death Candle, Death Knell, Inflict Light Wounds, Sentry Skull. 2nd- Darkness, Desecrate, Umbral Weapon. 3rd- Animate Dead, Deeper Darkness, Inflict Moderate Wounds. 4th- Inflict Serious Wounds, Slay Living. This modifies the Antipaladin's Spellcasting.

-Radiant Cruelty (Su): At 6th level, and every three levels thereafter, a radiant blackguard can select one cruelty. Each cruelty adds an effect to the radiant blackguard's Lay on Hands ability. Whenever the radiant blackguard uses Lay on Hands to deal damage to one target, or if he so chooses when he uses Lay on Hands to heal damage to one target, the target also receives the additional effect from one of the cruelties possessed by the antipaladin. For the purpose of selecting cruelties, but not for the effects of cruelties, treat the radiant blackguard's antipaladin level as three levels lower. This modifies the Antipaladin's Cruelty class feature.

wooglycakes
2015-04-18, 08:55 AM
In addition, a radiant blackguard removes the following spells from their spell list; 1st- Death Candle, Death Knell, Inflict Light Wounds, Sentry Skull.

I quite like this! It lends itself easily to the Villain with Good Publicity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainWithGoodPublicity) trope, where the PCs have to deal with a popular warrior of light who goes around healing people, but is building public trust towards some nefarious end... who says an antipaladin can't be subtle?

One question I have is with the radiant cruelty ability. Would this mean that the antipaladin needs to make a Fortitude save against his own cruelties each time he uses lay on hands to heal himself after 6th level?

Thealtruistorc
2015-04-18, 09:02 AM
Interesting. It's about time that somebody recognized how positive energy can be used for evil casters (reminds me of the 4e paladins of Asmodeus). I imagine this would open up some interesting questions for Roleplaying as well. Overall, simple but very effective.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-18, 10:35 AM
Interesting. It's about time that somebody recognized how positive energy can be used for evil casters (reminds me of the 4e paladins of Asmodeus). I imagine this would open up some interesting questions for Roleplaying as well. Overall, simple but very effective.

I quite like this! It lends itself easily to the Villain with Good Publicity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainWithGoodPublicity) trope, where the PCs have to deal with a popular warrior of light who goes around healing people, but is building public trust towards some nefarious end... who says an antipaladin can't be subtle?

Im glad both of you like this. Thank you for voicing your opinions. It helps a lot to get feed back, be it positive or negative. Im reminded of one bit of the antipaladin's code of conduct, which does help lend itself to a healer going around just trying to build trust: "An antipaladin must be of chaotic evil alignment and loses all class features except proficiencies if he willingly and altruistically commits good acts."

One question I have is with the radiant cruelty ability. Would this mean that the antipaladin needs to make a Fortitude save against his own cruelties each time he uses lay on hands to heal himself after 6th level?

Im glad you asked. Does an antipaladin apply their cruelties to their touch of corruption when used to heal an undead creature? In that, should lie your answer, though admittedly I should make it more clear in the language.

edit: Made it so it applies it when it does damage, and the radiant blackguard may choose to apply a cruelty while healing a target. Nothing quite like being healed and being given bubonic plague in one fell swoop.

Edit 2: A question! Im thinking of adding something for killing via over healing, not dissimilar to a certain elder evil. What do we think? Should such a mechanic be introduced here, such as an option to replace a cruelty, or be perhaps should it be reserved for another archetype?