PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Primal Path: Path of the Reaver

Wartex1
2015-04-18, 08:10 PM
Path of the Reaver
Violence is your passion. Blood is your nirvana. You fight for the battle's sake, and the sight of gore fills you with glee. A warrior of blood, fueled by it, the power of all sorts of monsters, demons, and dragons flows through your veins as you slaughter them. Though, your destruction is not powered by your frenzy. In fact, your frenzy is just a parasite to the bloody path you will carve through the enemy.

Devour
Beginning at 3rd level, when you take your first step down this violent path, your kills fill you with enhanced strength. Whenever you kill an enemy, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier + your Barbarian level (minimum of 1).

Ring of Pain
Once you reach 6th level, you can wound yourself in order to cause great pain to others around you. As a bonus action, you may take damage equal to your Barbarian level or less. Then, all enemies within 30 feet take the same damage as psychic damage. The damage that you deal, both to yourself and to enemies, with this feature, ignores temporary hit points, going straight for the vulnerable heart.

Blood Frenzy
Now, at 10th level, your violent wrath is further enhanced by your primal rage. During your rage, the first melee weapon attack that you make after taking any kind of damage adds your Proficiency bonus to the damage roll. This feature can only be used once per round.

Dragon-Rage
Nearly reaching the apex of your power at 14th level, you may sacrifice some of your vitality to infuse your strikes with the power of a dragon. Whenever you make a melee weapon attack but before your attack roll, you may sacrifice 1d12 hit points in order to automatically roll the highest result with a damage die. If you make a critical hit with this feature, you roll the highest result on the extra damage dice used as well.

Ralanr
2015-04-19, 01:18 AM
I see the age of dragons and it makes me smile.

Don't know about balance, but seems balanced to me.

Samhaim
2015-04-19, 02:52 AM
Looks very nice to me! Perhaps Devour should be easier to activate, like this it feels like it is a bit on the side. Maybe you could make it usable once or twice per encounter and consequently adjusting the healing amount. Still, love it and added to my collection!

DanyBallon
2015-04-19, 07:10 AM
I think it's a bit too combat oriented, if you compare with the Beserker and the Totem paths, 6th and 10th level abilities are not combat oriented. Berserker let you be immune to fright and to frightened others, as totem let you increase either your carrying capacity, your sight, or tracking at 6th, and cast commune with nature at 10th.

Ring of pain could become Ring of fear, and work like this: as a bonus action you inflict yourself 1d4 (1d6? keep in mind that the berserker Intimidating Presence which is similar, is at 10th level and affects only 1 target) damage and the same amount of creature that see you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + the damage you inflected yourself.

Honestly, I would move the Ring of fear to 10th level, and create some kind of 6th level ability that give you advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks and/or let you use strength or constitution instead of charisma for intimidation check. But as is Ring of Pain and Blood Frenzy are not balanced compared to the other path abilities of the same level.

Wartex1
2015-04-19, 07:26 AM
Intimidating Presence and Mindless Rage are definitely combat-oriented powers. Totem Warrior is a non-combat oriented archetype, like GOO-lock.

DanyBallon
2015-04-19, 08:46 AM
Intimidating Presence and Mindless Rage are definitely combat-oriented powers. Totem Warrior is a non-combat oriented archetype, like GOO-lock.

If you say so, but they are definitely not giving you bonus to attack rolls or damage. They let you fight longer (immunity to frightened condition) and give you some kind of crowd control. And this is for a combat oriented archetype. Yours is just too good to be balanced.

Try to get some other ability that would help you out in combat, without letting you deal more damage.

Wartex1
2015-04-19, 09:01 AM
Crowd control is usually better than damage in most cases. Plus, the big damage-dealing ability that doesn't also hurt yourself (which neither of the Berserker ones do) only works during rage.