PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Make your own fighter (PEACH)

darkbuu_1
2015-04-19, 02:58 PM
Fighter

I really like what fighter was trying to do, like wizard and cleric, it offers the bare minimum in class abilities allowing one character to be miles apart from another character. The aim of this “fix” was to make it easier for a player to play the kind of fighter they want without jumping through a lot of hoops, to make the fighter better than other people at his previously one ability (fighter feats) and to make fighter dips a tempting choice for other classes.

Currently this class is still in its early stages, I hope most of the base is covered but I'm sure a lot of these abilities could be written more elegantly, need to be moved around, also most of the ability's names are intended as place holders and while we're at it the class' abilities could probably be called something a little less general. Anyway, I look forward to any suggestions about fixes, new abilities, renamings and power balance problems that I'm confident I've overlooked. Please PEACH and stuff.

The Fighter

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Good Save
Poor Saves
Special
Fighter Bonus

+1

+2

+0
Fighter Bonus Feat, Fighter ability
+0

+2

+3

+0
Fighter Bonus Feat
+0

+3

+3

+1
Fighter ability
+0

+4

+4

+1
Fighter Bonus Feat
+0

+5

+4

+1
Fighter ability
+1

+6/+1

+5

+2
Fighter Bonus Feat
+1

+7/+2

+5

+2
Fighter ability
+1

+8/+3

+6

+2
Fighter Bonus Feat
+1

+9/+4

+6

+3
Fighter ability
+1

+10/+5

+7

+3
Fighter Bonus Feat
+2

+11/+6/+1

+7

+3
Fighter ability
+2

+12/+7/+2

+8

+4
Fighter Bonus Feat
+2

+13/+8/+3

+8

+4
Fighter ability
+2

+14/+9/+4

+9

+4
Fighter Bonus Feat
+2

+15/+10+/+5

+9

+5
Fighter ability
+3

+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+5
Fighter Bonus Feat
+3

+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+5
Fighter ability
+3

+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+6
Fighter Bonus Feat
+3

+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+6
Broken Pyramid Fighter ability
+3

+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+6
Fighter Bonus Feat
+4

Hit-Die: d10
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Jump (Str), Swim (Str), Ride (Dex), Craft (Int), Profession (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Handle Animal (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha).
A fighter also chooses one more skill, other than use magic device to become a class skill

Skill Points: 4 + Int (x4 at first)

Saves
Upon gaining his first level in Fighter the player can choose for either Reflexes or Fortitude to become his Good save, the other along with his Will become his poor saves, once made this choice can't be changed.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Fighters are proficient with all simple weapons and 3 other weapons of their choosing, a fighter may choose to instead gain Improved unarmed strike in place of a weapon proficiency. Fighters are proficient with all armours and shields, including the tower shield.

Fighter Bonus
This is your Fighter Bonus, you my choose to increase all bonuses and penalties granted from feats with the Fighter tag by this number or less, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes and Great Fortitude are also affected by this bonus.

Fighter Bonus Feats
A fighter may swap out any or all but his most recent bonus Fighter feat (and its requirements) at the beginning of each day.

Fighter abilities
At 1st level and every odd level thereafter, the fighter can select an ability from the list given below. Fighter abilities belong to one of two groups: Front Line or Tactics. Any ability denoted with (Either) can be assigned to either group upon selection, at the fighter's discretion.
Initially, he may only select a 1st-tier ability. The fighter can select a 2nd-tier ability only if doing so would not bring his total number of 2nd-tier abilities of that group (Front Line or Tactics) to an equal or greater number than his 1st-tier abilities of that group; likewise, he cannot select a 3rd-tier ability if doing so would cause him to equal or exceed his number of 2nd-tier abilities, and so on. At each level that the character gains a new fighter ability, he may choose to swap out any number of his previously-selected fighter abilities, as long as doing so follows the rules listed here.

Broken Pyramid Fighter Ability
A fighter's 19th level Fighter ability functions similarly to the rest of his ability, except this ability can cause the tier to have an equal amount of abilities to the previous tier. For example a fighter might choose to spend this slot on a third 2nd tier ability while only possessing three 1st tier abilities.

1st Tier

Punch Hard (Front line)
Increase your unarmed damage 1 die size

Got Good (Front line)
Gain a fighter bonus feat

My Body is Ready (Front line)
Add your Con to your AC while unarmoured
Special, tier 2: You can be enchanted as though you were armour, you may still wear amour but the benefit of "My Body is ready" suppressed for the duration, you may remove and don armour as a swift action.

Between the ribs (Front line)
A fighter may add his Dex modifier instead of his Str to damage with weapon finesse-able weapons.

Caught a fish, thiiiiiis big (Front line)
You no longer automatically fail grapple against creature 2 sizes larger than you.

Psych up (Front line)
Gain either Fast(Ex): +2 Dex, or Furious(Ex): +2 Str -1 AC . These follow the normal rules for rage, and are considered rage for the purpose of requirements and effects. Each effect also lasts additional rounds equal to your fighter bonus and can be used as long as you aren't fatigued or exhausted. These stacks with rage.

The Bigger they are (Front line)
You deal extra damage to creatures larger than you, you do an extra 2 damage for each size category a creature is bigger than you.

Glass Jaw (Front line)
You may use sunder to brake nature weapons. A broken nature weapon receives a -2 to attack and damage rolls and is considered one size smaller. Each natural weapon has it's own HP total based on it's size, hardness and DR still apply (in most cases bone, 6), this damage can be healed alongside natural healing such as rest or fast healing, but is considered it's own target for healing spells and abilities. The maximum amount of hit points is equal to 5hp, this increases by 5 for each size category the creature is above medium, and 1hp for small or smaller. A weapon must be fully restore before it is no longer considered broken.

I know this (Either)
You gain proficiency with all Martial weapons, as well as the benefits of Improved unarmed strike.
Special: You may take this as a tier 2 to also gain all exotic weapon prof.

Bodyguard (Either)
You may choose to take the damage from an attack instead of an adjacent ally.

Look at me (either)
If you and an ally are both adjacent to an enemy you are considered to be flanking that creature, increase the flanking bonus to you and your allies by your fighter bonus.

They're pretty much the same thing (Either)
For each Fighter feat that applies to a single Weapon, Armour, Shield, Maneuver or Stance, picked when the feat is chosen, these feats now grant their benefit to 1 + Fighter Bonus other Weapons, Armours, Shields, Maneuvers or Stances.

Catch my breath (either)
Gain a maneuver. Fighter levels are considered to be full IL, you spend a full round action which may involve making a single attack if you wish, to recover a maneuver.

Out of the shadows (either)
Gain either 1d6 Sneak attack or 1d6 Skirmish.
Special: If you select this at a higher Tier it becomes; Gain Xd6 Sneak attack or Skirmish, where is equal to it's tier.

Get a load of this guy (Tactics)
You can estimate a creature's potential with either a minute of study or by seeing the creature in action. After a minute of study you become aware of a creature HD as wells as their highest and lowest Physical stats, and their values, creatures may attempting to hid their true abilities with a disguise check (vs, the fighter's sense motive + Fighter Bonus). Or when a you see a creature performing an action that requires a die roll, you become aware of the bonus added to it. Unless a creature is actively concealing their strengths, a fighter can always identify the most challenging enemy within sight with a swift action.

Now that we're friends (Tactics)
Gain a bonus to Diplomacy, intimidate and Gather Information if you have more BAB then they have HD, this bonus is equal to Half the difference between your BAB and their HD (rounded up).

Not there, there (Tactics)
A fighter can use aid other as a swift action to allies with in 2 + fighter bonus *5ft. The aided
ally may also add your fighter bonus to their roll.

I hate you (Tactics)
Gain a Favoured Enemy (Ex), for each fighter bonus you have you may choose to either increase the bonus to a current Favoured Enemy by 2 or you may choose to gain a new Favoured Enemy.

Here it is (Tactics)
Gain Trap Finding, add your fighter bonus to checks, saves, and AC involving traps.

Uncanny Dodge (Tactics)
Special: gain this as a 2nd tier to instead gain improved Uncanny Dodge.

Guts (Tactics)
You may wield a two handed melee weapon as though it was a one handed weapon.

Cooking time (Tactics)
Gain Poison Use, you may use the Craft(Alchemy) skill to make Poisons at no penalty (or vise versa), add your fighter bonus to the DC of Poisons and Alchemical items you create.

2nd Tier

It's a sledgehammer (Front line)
Increase your unarmed damage 1 die size and your nature attacks are considered two handed.

Harder (Front line)
Gain Mettle.

Faster (Front line)
Gain Evasion.

It's like my other one (Front line)
As a swift action you may grant a weapon you wield any number of enchantment bonuses or special abilities another weapon you own has, and vis versa, the total equivalent Base Price Modifier of enchantments and special abilities copied this way must be equal to or less than your fighter bonus. This lasts until you use this ability again or you no longer wield the weapon.

Overwatch (Front line)
As a move action you may go into overwatch, you may make a ranged attack as an immediate action against anyone within range.

Rend (Front line)
If you hit an opponent with a weapon in each hand in the same round, you may automatically rend the opponent. This deals additional damage equal to the base damage of the smaller weapon plus 1 ½ times your Strength modifier. Base weapon damage includes an enhancement bonus on damage, if any. You can only rend once per round, regardless of how many successful attacks you make.
Special: you may take this a tier 3 to rend each time you successfully hit an opponent with a weapon in each hand in the same round.

[b]I can do it (Either)
You may ignore non feat requirements when taking fighter feats.

Once more (Either)
Gain an additional swift action for each fighter bonus you have. You may trade 3 swift actions to gain a move action.

I prepared for this (Either)
A fighter can use a move action to swap out a single feat he knows for another fighter feat they meets the requirements for.

Friendship is Magical (Either)
Gain the Paladin's Mount class feature

Sure footed (Either)
You may make a 5ft step as a swift action, this is in addition to any other movement you take this round.

I trained you for this (Tactics)
Allies that can see or hear you may gain access to a feat you have, or a fighter bonus feat for each fighter bonus you possess, they must still meet the requirements.

Nooooooo! (Tactics)
If an ally would be attacked within 5ft/Fighter Bonus + 1 you may use an immediate action in order to either become adjacent to an ally or swap places with that ally.

Personal touch (Tactics)
Gain Craft magic Arms and Armour as a bonus feat, treating your fighter level as your caster level. You automatically pass UMD checks to activate magic items for the purposes of crafting.
Special Tier 3: If a magic weapon, shield or armour you wield provokes a saving throw, add your fighter Bonus to the DC, if the effect consumes a charge, add twice your fighter bonus instead.

[b]Wiley (Tactics)
You may perform a special attack action in place of a standard attack or as part of a full attack.

Diversify Portfolio (Tactics)
Gain a feat for which you meet the requirements, you may change this feat at the start of each day.

3rd Tier

I'm really feeling it (front line)
The fighter can choose to increase the duration of effects affecting him, If a fighter is under the effect with a duration measured in rounds, minutes, hours, or days, he may instead have the effect last an addition amount of time equal to his fighter bonus.

Now I'm really getting huge (front line)
The Fighter is treated for all beneficial purposes as a creature one size category larger than he is.

First, the set up (front line)
When you make an attack roll, roll twice and choose which to take

My love, my pain, and all of my damage (Front line)
As a full round action you may choose either 60ft line, 30ft cone, or 20ft burst, make a single attack
roll vs all creatures within this area.

What was that? (Front line)
The fighter can shrug off lesser effects. A fighter can choose to decrease the duration of an effects affecting him, If a fighter is under the effect with a duration measured in rounds, minutes, hours, or days, he may instead have the effect end an amount of time earlier equal to his fighter bonus (minimum 1 round).

Dodge left (either)
Choose one of your saving throws, when you roll this saving throw roll twice and choose which to take.

Savvy (Tactics)
When you make a skill check, roll twice and choose which to take

I tought you well (Tactics)
Allies that can see or hear you may also choose to increase all Bonuses and penalties granted from feats with the Fighter tag by your Fighter Bonus.

Revitalise (Tactics)
As a swift action you may grant yourself or an ally within you reach or closer a number of temporary HP equal to your Fighter Bonus*Con Bonus (Minimum 1).

I'm standing right here (Tactics)
As a swift action you may call the attention of enemies. You become the focus point for all enemies that can see or hear you until the start of your next turn, granting all of your allies concealment.

Deflected (Tactics)
While wielding a shield you gain DR X/-, and energy resistance X where X is equal to the shield's non-magical shield bonus, as long as you are aware of the attack. You must be physical holding the shield, an animated shield cannot offer this bonus.

4th tier

Valientium Blade (Ex) (front line)
Once per encounter as an extraordinary ability when you hit with an attack action you may, instead of dealing damage treat the attack as if you had cast disintegrate as a wizard of your level (DC = 16 + Str/Dex).

Blot out the sun (front line)
At a full round action move up to twice your maximum movement and make a ranged attack against each enemy you pass within your range 1/encounter.

Perfect Student (Tactics)
Twice a day you may duplicate an (Ex) ability you've witnessed within the last round, for one minute or until expended if it consumes charges.

Perfect Teacher (Tactics)
Allies that can see or hear you may my treat their BAB as though it was equal to yours.

Great fortitude is now considered a fighter feat instead of Stead fast determination
Between the Ribs now stats what to add dex to.
Once More bumped to 2nd tier and swift actions reduce by one
Changed Cunning Brilliance to Perfect Student and actually specified what it does
Dodge Left only applies to a single save type
I prepared for this now takes a move action with no option for trading out all feats
Deflected bumped to Tier 3
Out of the Shadows shows that it offers advancement via selecting at a higher tier
Blot out the sun is a full round action
Fighter ability Broken Pyramid and text less confusing
Hp values on Glass Jaw reduced
Revitalise range decreased

ezkajii
2015-04-20, 11:49 AM
I like what you're doing with the fighter; keeps very true to the original feel but amps up the power a bit. My notes:

I like the idea of choosing your good save from Fort or Reflex.
I don't think you need to remove the martial weapon proficiency from the fighter; it's kind of their whole thing. I recommend keeping with the original-listed proficiencies, may even give them proficiency with an exotic of their choice at 1st level (though their fighter feats could be used for that just as well).
I think you intended for the fighter bonus to apply to Great Fortitude, not Steadfast Determination (which doesn't have a numerical effect).
The wording for Fighter Abilities is confusing; I'm pretty sure I got it, but it required a re-read. I would say something along the lines of
At 1st level and every odd level thereafter, the fighter can select an ability from the list given below. Fighter abilities belong to one of two groups: Front Line or Tactics. Any ability denoted with (Either) can be assigned to either group upon selection, at the fighter's discretion.
Initially, he may only select a 1st-tier ability. The fighter can select a 2nd-tier ability only if doing so would not bring his total number of 2nd-tier abilities of that group (Front Line or Tactics) to an equal or greater number than his 1st-tier abilities of that group; likewise, he cannot select a 3rd-tier ability if doing so would cause him to equal or exceed his number of 2nd-tier abilities, and so on. At each level that the character gains a new fighter ability, he may choose to swap out any number of his previously-selected fighter abilities, as long as doing so follows the rules listed here.
Broken Pyramid Figher Ability might be more elegantly stated as simply choosing any fighter ability, regardless of its tier, and that it counts separate from your regular pool of fighter abilities.

Regarding individual abilities:
Between the ribs: Is this essentially Weapon Finesse, or are you intending Dex to go to damage as well?
Glass jaw: I think the hp values listed for a natural weapon are too high, especially for small creatures. For instance, certain very small creatures only have 1hp as is; by these rules, each claw attack would individually have 5hp. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure how to balance this effectively.
Once More: That many bonus swift actions is too powerful for a 1st-tier ability. It needs to at least be 2nd-tier, if not 3rd. A single bonus swift action itself is probably a 2nd-tier ability.
They're pretty much the same thing: So if you have Weapon Focus (longsword) and take this, you can choose a number of extra weapons equal to your fighter bonus to apply the benefits to, correct? I might add in a restriction, if only for thematic reasons, that it deal the same type of damage (piercing/bludgeoning/slashing) and be the same category (simple/martial/exotic, or one-handed/two-handed/ranged)
Out of the shadows: Should specify how fast the sneak attack or skirmish damage progresses, or if it's just a fixed +1d6
Cooking Time: I may be wrong, but I thought Craft (poisonmaking) was a separate thing from Craft (alchemy)?
It's a sledgehammer: When you say your natural attacks are considered two handed, you just mean adding 1.5x Str bonus to dmg, correct?
It's just like my other one: I recommend the same restrictions as i mentioned for They're pretty much the same thing
I prepared for this: Too powerful. Given that you can swap out your selected feats each morning anyway, I think this is unnecessary. By giving them the ability to swap out ALL selected fighter feats as a standard action, it's essentially giving them all fighter feats all the time. I mean they're still gonna fall short of a caster, but I would at least make it a 3rd-tier ability and require a full-round action to swap all the feats and a move to swap one.
Deflected probably belongs in Tier 3, or should be clarified that it doesn't include any enhancement bonuses to the shield bonus.
Dodge Left is really good. It should only apply to a single saving throw, or be useable a limited number of times per day. There's really no reason anybody wouldn't take this, esp. in combination with evasion/mettle.
Revitalize should probably either require touch or have a limit on its uses.
Blot Out the Sun: Does this require a full-round action?
Cunning Brilliance: What does this ability do?

Overall I really like the idea here, and hopefully I'm not falling into the trap of "martials can't have nice things" with my critiques. I will definitely be watching this develop.

darkbuu_1
2015-04-22, 04:33 AM
First off I'd like to thank you for your suggestions and support so far it means a lot, and for catching all those little stupid things that I missed.

My line of thought towards the weapon proficiency was twofold; the first to do with the amount of different types of weapons a fighter tended to use, I admit I haven't played with many but they tend to only stick with a couple and three seemed like a sensible number with the option to start as a standard fully martial proficient fighter is still there, plus three extra proficiencies beyond a normal fighter; and second, while I still want to support dipping I've always thought fighter was incredibly front heavy.

I could change it back and even add a bonus proficiency of either IUS or an exotic but I thought this would keep them little more unique (well apart from everyone taking spiked chain, Kaotri Resin (spiked chain) and IUS,).

Think the Broken Pyramid Fighter Ability now better reflects what I wanted it to do, the 19th ability was the only way to get to 4th tier and I didn't want people jumping ship at the end to the other side, I guess that it wouldn't be too powerful too allow that now that I think about it.

I like the idea of adding a small limiter on They're pretty much the same thing to similar weapons, something to the extend of sharing two or more proprieties; amount of hands, damage type, exotic level but then I feel like I'm imposing a arbitrary condition on weapons, I'll have a think about it an see if there a reasonable limit I can apply to the rest.

There is a clause somewhere around that allows characters with Craft (alchemy) to brew poisons at -4 penalty (which I can't track to a book for at this moment but I can find references to it existing) and alchemy is only open to spell caster, so to save some skill points this'll make them the same thing for fighters.

I was worried the Glass Jaw's numbers were too low, I've tweaked the numbers a little, it's better now, I don't think it's fixed but it's definitely better.

I was intending for It's a Sledgehammer to be pretty general, applying to 1-1/2*damage, power attack return, and on special actions (disarm and such).

Deflected has been changed to only grant non-magical and real shield sources. Exactly how strong would it be to add shield enchantments to this too?

Perfect Student is probably super borked but it is only for two minutes a day at level 19, how much trouble could he get into?

Everything that I haven't mention here as well as and some that I have have now been incorporated in to class. And thank you again.