PDA

View Full Version : need feats

Replacement
2007-04-15, 06:51 PM
ok idea - money grubbing dwarf rogue... what are some feats that would be useful, Core + Completes + PHB2. Early level stuff.

(at work, grammar bad)

Avenger337
2007-04-15, 07:28 PM
[Scrubbed]

Replacement
2007-04-15, 07:33 PM
[Scrubbed]

Avenger337
2007-04-15, 08:07 PM
Sorry -- perhaps I should've said a little bit more. But it was more a comment that you didn't really give us a lot to work with.

There are lots and lots of feats in the sources that you listed that would at some point or another come in handy for a thieving dwarf. Giving a bit more background on what you're looking for would be useful. I.e., do you want feats to help you steal things? Move silently? Appraise the value of things?

Kel_Arath
2007-04-15, 08:09 PM
sneaky != bad

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-15, 08:09 PM
Weapon Finesse.

Starsinger
2007-04-15, 08:16 PM
TWF for better sneak attackage might be helpful too.

DaMullet
2007-04-15, 08:20 PM
Telling Blow (PHBII)
Vexing Flanker/Whatever the prereq feat for that is (PHBII)
Exotic Proficiency (Spiked Chain)

With those four feats, you deal sneak attack damage on a critical hit, and flank from all squares you threaten. Essentially, you ALWAYS get Sneak attack.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-15, 08:41 PM
Telling Blow isn't very useful. Flanking is easy, and Telling Blow doesn't add your sneak attack *again* if you're already getting it.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-15, 08:46 PM
If "completes" includes Complete Scoundrel, some of the Ambush feats would be useful in stunning/incapacitating a victim long enough for you to pickpocket him and be on your way.

Replacement
2007-04-15, 09:49 PM
Weapon Finesse is a decent start I suppose. Twf has never really worked out me with with any class that doesn't have full BAB. This ambush stuff from complete scoundrel seems like a good deal, it might be hard to get "mileage" out of it though.

Does doing damage in a grapple let you apply sneak attack?

Matthew
2007-04-15, 09:57 PM
No, since your opponent is niether flanked nor denied his Dexterity Bonus.

What weapon does your Dwarf favour?

We're really looking at two Feats here, aren't we, Level 1 and Level 3.

Do you want combat feats or some other type? I always like Stealth at low levels...

Yvian
2007-04-15, 10:31 PM
Skill Focus Forgery. Need I say more?

But serious, what direction are you going? I don’t see you as a dex monkey, nore the face of the party. More along the lines disable device, craft trap, etc.

Are you going to dip in for a level or two of fighter? A Heavy Shield with an Urgosh or Dwaren Wax Axe would serve you well without hampering your rouge abilities much. There are items in Races of Stone that I like, but I don’t know if those are off limits.

I like the Luck feats in the Complete Scoundrel.

But what I really want to hear is more about your character.

Replacement
2007-04-15, 10:40 PM
I'm planning on spreading out his skills heavily so I can kinda flesh the character out even at low levels. I won't max/ranks things unless I know I'm gonna use them once a game.

In regards to the weapon question is a mining pick simple? I know it isn't the optimal weapon but kinda a flavor of his trade. Proffession (miner) Proffession (Trader) Craft (Gemcutting).

I don't really care to much about the sneakyness, it isn't dwarfy. His morality won't get in the way if money is the reward. He will be a tinkerer(disable device, Craft(-----) )for the lone pursuit of inventing something to make him rich.

Edit: Is there any feat that gives plus 2 to forgery and plus 2 to another. Like I said I'm at work and have to type in chunks (go front desk Inn clerk!)

Matthew
2007-04-15, 10:46 PM
Okay, I think there is some kind of 'War Pick' in The Complete Warrior, but failing that a Heavy Pick would be okay. Problem is that a Dwarf Rogue is not proficient in either, since they are Martial Weapons. If you can persuade your Dungeon Master to use Weapon Group Proficiencies, you might get the opportunity. Otherwise, it is spend a Feat or fall back on old faithful, the Dwarven War Axe.

Spot, Listen and Search are going to be major Skill areas for your Dwarf Rogue, if he is not going to follow the stealth route (Dwarves have quite a reputation for stealth, though, it is worth noting). You might consider taking Feats that complement an alert Dwarf, such as Alertness or Improved Initiative. If you are worried about low Base Attack Bonus, you could take Weapon Focus at Level 3, though there are much better Feats.

You need to indicate your Dwarf's Attribute Scores if you want us to really give you Feat advice beyond Skill Bonus type things.

Replacement
2007-04-15, 10:54 PM
I can't give you the dice rolls because the game he is for has a "infront of me" rule on dice rolling. The rolls kinda have to be witnessed be the head hauncho.

I'm gonna kinda treat him as a second liner. I'll follow the fighter/s in but only for flanking. Otherwise I'll sit back with the wizard for a spot of tea.

More later.... work shift is over!

Townopolis
2007-04-15, 10:56 PM
Deceitful (+2 forgery +2 disguise)

But I'd recommend Nimble Fingers (+2 disable device +2 open lock) for the tinkerer aspect.

If you're going to be a trader, diplomacy is used to haggle over prices (new use listed in Complete Adventurer IIRC) so you could use something to boost that. Also, picks are martial, so using one would require a proficiency feat.

Replacement
2007-04-16, 10:33 PM
Ok so which is more important search, listen, or spot? Putting my money on search. And how useful can Trapmaking be? I've heard mixed reviews.
1st LvL
Nimble Fingers
3rd LvL
Skill Focus (Search)

Skill priority
Major:
-Disable Device
-Search
-Open Lock
-Appraise
Secondary:
-Craft (Trapmaking)
-Craft (Poisinmaking ::maybe:: )
-Profession (Scribe)
-Profession (Trader)
Minor:
-Diplomacy
-Craft (Gemcutting/Jeweler)

Major means full ranks when possible. Secondary will rotate 2 and 2 every level. Minor is flow over points. Its kinda a wierd skill monkey but I like it. The PoisinMaking is for being able to actualy do something in combat.

Telonius
2007-04-17, 09:03 AM
I'm planning on spreading out his skills heavily so I can kinda flesh the character out even at low levels. I won't max/ranks things unless I know I'm gonna use them once a game.

In regards to the weapon question is a mining pick simple? I know it isn't the optimal weapon but kinda a flavor of his trade. Proffession (miner) Proffession (Trader) Craft (Gemcutting).

I don't really care to much about the sneakyness, it isn't dwarfy. His morality won't get in the way if money is the reward. He will be a tinkerer(disable device, Craft(-----) )for the lone pursuit of inventing something to make him rich.

Edit: Is there any feat that gives plus 2 to forgery and plus 2 to another. Like I said I'm at work and have to type in chunks (go front desk Inn clerk!)

Are you sure that your character has the Rogue class? If your DM allows it, the Artificer (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060328a)class from Eberron sounds a lot more like what you're going for. Bonus craft feats, Artificer Knowledge to see if something's magical, decent skill points, trapfinding. No sneak attack, which you've already said isn't very important.

EDIT: Maybe the first level of Rogue for the (at least) 16 extra skill points, and then Artificer for the rest of the way out?

Matthew
2007-04-17, 04:33 PM
True, it seems like you should be looking for a way to get Sneak Attack subbed out for some other Class Feature.