PDA

View Full Version : Give the Warlock some love

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 12:19 AM
the Warlock is one of the most innovative class's in 3.5, and sadly is underpowered and undersupported. Would you join me in creating more for this wonderful class?

Solo
2007-04-16, 12:20 AM
Give them more invocations and class features. maybe Prestidigitation at will, for example?

Nebo_
2007-04-16, 01:08 AM
-_- That certianly should bring them up to par.

They did that with the Hexblade already... really isn't much of a power boost.

I'd like the warlock to have more invocations known, maybe one per level or something...

Icewalker
2007-04-16, 01:15 AM
Yeah, more invocations known would be quite fun. I could see multiple invocations on one eldritch blast, but it'd have to be a capstone, and it couldn't be any two, or it'd be way too powerful (can you say "all people in a 20 ft radius lose 2 levels"?)

Autarch
2007-04-16, 11:12 PM
I like this idea. I remember when I read through Complete Arcane, I was curious as to why there were basically three warlock items, and that was it. I hereby announce that I will try to come up with some good magic items for warlocks to use. :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 11:15 PM
ill post this again now that we have a form up and running, also innvocations that are not "evil" or likely to get you hunted down and beaten in a good society would be a good idea....becuase remember they can be CG as well....just not very beleviable when the CG little blonde girl explodes into a swarm of bats

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 11:16 PM
Gauntlets of Eldritch Devastation
These wicked gauntlets are made of cold iron to appear as the lower arm of a devil or other foul denizen of the lower planes with wicked claws, barbs or spikes, heavy bands like manacles, and a nasty implement right below the wearers elbow joint. These gauntlets, once attached pierce the lower arm of the wearer below the elbow and tap into his blood. This process deals 2 points of con damage that can not be restored until the gauntlets are removed. While on the wearers forearms, the pieces of magical iron deep within the owner’s blood aid their power to his or her Eldritch Blast, changing its base damage by one die (example, an eldritch blast affected by the gauntlets of eldritch devastation deal d8’s instead of d6’s).
Strong Evocation, CL 14th; Craft Wondrous Items, claws of darkness, bestow curse, eagles splendor
Price 45,000 gp, Weight 10 pounds

Autarch
2007-04-16, 11:30 PM
ill post this again now that we have a form up and running, also innvocations that are not "evil" or likely to get you hunted down and beaten in a good society would be a good idea....becuase remember they can be CG as well....just not very beleviable when the CG little blonde girl explodes into a swarm of bats
I like it! Homebrew evocations for the little blond girl.

Hunter Noventa
2007-04-17, 09:14 AM
Eldritch Bombardment
Dark Invocation

Unlike other invocations, Eldritch Bombardment is a full-round action. When using this invocationthe Warlock's entire body pulses with Eldritch power. A bolt of eldritch energy rockets up intot he sky, dispersing with no apparent effect.

On this round, and up for 1 minute afterwards, the Warlock can call down a massive bolt of Eldritch energy, as part of using the invocation in this round, or as a standard action in the following rounds.

The bolts of energy are in the form of a cylinder with a 10ft radius and 60ft of hieght. They deal damage equal to the warlock's eldritch blast. Each bolt can be modified with a different blast essence.

The reflex DC for half damage is 19 + the Warlock's Charisma Modifier.

How about that?

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-17, 09:26 AM
Basically, if one allowed Eldritch Blow (I think that's what it's called) to be used as part of an attack, rather than as a seperate standard action dealie...similar to sneak attack....they're dandy? I suppose.

As long as you remember they aren't casters.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-17, 11:05 AM
Maybe a version of the Rapid Shot feat that worked with Eldritch Blast?

Midnight Lurker
2007-04-17, 11:37 AM
For a lot of the invocations, all you really need to do is change their appearance while keeping the mechanics the same.

Swarm of colorful butterflies instead of bats, say.

Also, check out Complete Mage for some extra warlocky stuff.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-17, 12:39 PM
Complete Mage had a few Warlock PrC's as well... not all of them were evil. Check it out.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 04:10 PM
i have, and the eldritch theurge is one of my new favs, but lets face it they are a great class and are totally out in the cold

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 07:41 PM
Dancing Cicada
Greater; 7th
With a simple snap of your fingers the air is filled with the insane hum of the cicada. Any opponent within 30 feet of you must make a will save or become dazed from the maddening clicking. An opponent may make another will save every round he is under the effects of Dancing Cicada.

Eldritch Lozenge
Dark; 8th; Eldritch Essence
This eldritch essence invocation allows you to crystallize your eldritch blast into a gem the size of your fist. The following round you may throw it as a grenade weapon, if you do not throw it within two rounds of its creation it fades into pure magic energy and dissipates into the air. Upon striking the ground or target the eldritch lozenge explodes into a shower of arcane sparks, dealing your eldritch blast damage to all within 25 feet of the blast. Any in the blast are allowed a reflex save for half damage.

pyrefiend
2007-04-17, 08:05 PM
Oooo... Eldritch grenades... What a wholesome thing to add to the world of D&D. They seem pretty balanced, too.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 08:06 PM
thanks! i will be making more shortly....and a PrC

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 08:38 PM
How about some sort of ritual magic
Warlock in myths always used evil ritual to power their magic

Maybe a warlock could use a special ritual to power his magic at the start of the day
He may use one ritual at he start of the day
Like imagine this

The ritual of the grand arcane
Gains a cetain number of first level wizard spell equal to his spell level as spell like ablities
The ritual of the whispered god
Same as above, only cleric
The dakr side of nature
Same but with druid
The Powers that Be are here
Allows the Warlock to use binding magic,

You see what i mean, hell might make this guy equal to wizard
from,
EE

Vhaidara
2007-04-17, 10:21 PM
I support more invocations known and reducing some of the levels or the time it takes to get the different types. I mean, a level 5 warlock shoots the same blast, albeit for more damages, as a first level warlock. However, I am now speaking as someone that sees them as overpowered. At level 20, 10d6 per round, with a crap load of special abilities to throw into that damage. They steal the rouge and bard formely almost unique ability to Use Magic Device. So far, these are two complaints that we can expect to face, so we should prepare.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 10:26 PM
well i think my item makes up for the damage thing, and the Eldritch blaster PrC i made should also help out damage if thats the route you wish to go

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 10:50 PM
Anyone like the ritual idea? Brings the class more flavor?
from,
EE

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 10:51 PM
i'm workin on it EE...heh....

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 10:56 PM
i'm workin on it EE...heh....

How things go

Also some sort of demon summon thing, like not really summon demon, but gaining some power breifly or something
But i agree, warlock need to be buffed up a bit
from,
EE

XtheYeti
2007-04-18, 07:24 AM
How things go

Also some sort of demon summon thing, like not really summon demon, but gaining some power breifly or something
But i agree, warlock need to be buffed up a bit
from,
EE
i think that there should be a sommoning invocation that gets you a monster invovled in your heritige

Autarch
2007-04-18, 07:20 PM
I think the idea that the powers of the Warlock aren't always inherited from evil demons. The actual class fluff in the complete arcane implies that the Warlock could have inherited his or her power from other powerful magical beings, like Fey. I think the spells for the Warlocks only represent the evil heritage, and not enough of the chaotic neutral/good. Some spells that fit thematically with Fey would be nice.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-18, 08:03 PM
i am working on some as we speak, i would like to think the dancing cicada could be seen as a "fey" with the nature aspect....

EvilElitest
2007-04-18, 11:03 PM
i am working on some as we speak, i would like to think the dancing cicada could be seen as a "fey" with the nature aspect....

Dude, you've out ranked, me and i post a lot,

Anyways, it vareis where Warlocks get their powers, and their were always myths of fairy magic/rituals
from,
EE

Innis Cabal
2007-04-18, 11:53 PM
ive been Bugbear since last night...my wife is gone and i am bored....after work i have nothing to do and there is no one telling me to get off the computer....and as i said im workin on a way to make rituals...a couple feats on the way, including feats kinda like the ambush feats found in the complete scoundrel....no idea for the name though