PDA

View Full Version : Good system for Macross like combat

Suzaku
2007-04-16, 09:41 AM
I was wondering what's a good rule system for Macross like game with flying fighter jets that's capable of transforming into giant robots.

P.S. Not interested in Mospedia or any butchered series that robotech includes.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-16, 10:02 AM
I was wondering what's a good rule system for Macross like game with flying fighter jets that's capable of transforming into giant robots.

P.S. Not interested in Mospedia or any butchered series that robotech includes.

Battletech was made to use Macross kits for wargaming however it doesn't have any transforming mechs. Big Eyes Small Mouth has rules for transforming robots but isn't the best combat system in the world. D20 modern also has mecha rules (and I'm sure there are rules for transforming ones in some supplement) but those have been incredibly critised.

Diggorian
2007-04-16, 10:02 AM
D20 Future (http://www.dominion-x.net/d20-msrd/index.html) could do it with some adjustments. Make stats and for a space fighter and a comparable mecha, as an action one can turn into the other. Voila!

I recommend giving the mecha added defense from manueverability and maybe better targeting or else there's little reason to leave fighter mode.

Sundog
2007-04-16, 10:06 AM
The only two I know of are Mekton Zeta and HERO. Of the two, I'd probably use Mekton Zeta if I could get it - it's specific forte is mecha combat. However, it is out of print.

HERO System can do it (HERO can do anything) but would take some work. There was a mecha rulebook for HERO, Robot Warriors, but it had some problems, and was for a previous edition to the current (5th ed. revised).

Jayabalard
2007-04-16, 10:17 AM
The only ones like that I know are the palladium ones, who did Macross II in addition to the various flavors of Robotech and Rifts.