PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures Warhammer 40k VASSAL League In the Playground[Round one Pairings up]

LordDavenport
2015-04-22, 06:22 PM
Pairings for round one[ends march 31st]:

Jormengand VS Tehnar
Eddicus VS Eldan
Lionheart VS Volthawk
Dragonus45 VS Tychris1
Manticoran VS LordDavenport

What is VASSAL?
An online platform for a variety of table top boardgames. link to latest version (http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php)

What is VASSAL 40k?
A modual for VASSAL that lets you play Warhammer 40k online. link to latest version (http://z13.invisionfree.com/vassal40k/index.php?showtopic=261)

What is Warhammer 40k?
A table top wargame set in the grimdark future of the 41st millennium, were there is only war.
I personally recommend reading random pages of 1d4chan about the setting until you start to get an idea.
I like this as a nice start (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40000)
Though fair warning, 1d4chan is often fairly vulgar. It is basically a solidified version of /tg/, so younger readers are recommended to read about a setting filled with genocide and murder in a much less politically incorrect tone from the many setting books or other online wikis.

What is the purpose of this thread?
The issue with playing VASSAL 40k, is that you need people to play with. VASSAL has never had a very massive online community, and I personally am terrible at meeting people over the net. So, this is an attempt to make a gathering place for potential players and also hopefully we can run a tournament or campaign or something.

That is now were I hope the conversation starts. I am interested in some pick up games, a tourney if someone suggests rules that would be interesting, and a campaign if someone has a cool idea.

As an additional ice breaker, if people want you can list your favorite army, favorite faction, and favorite character.

Farsight enclaves Tau, Imperial Guard, Caiaphas Cain.

Eldan
2015-04-22, 06:28 PM
Hm. These days probably Nids over Eldar, though I play both. Favourite character... no idea. Can't think of any 40k characters I like.

JNAProductions
2015-04-22, 07:11 PM
CSM, Tau, and Papa Nurgle.

Requizen
2015-04-22, 09:46 PM
Dunno what the distinction between Faction and Army, but both are probably Necrons :smallbiggrin: Character has got to be Zahndrekh (and of course his bro, Obyron).

Tychris1
2015-04-22, 10:36 PM
Favorite Faction is The Harvest from Khorne Daemonkin, Favorite Army is Tyranids, and favorite character is........ Hmmm...... Alpharius.

Tehnar
2015-04-23, 02:21 AM
I play Eldar and don't really have a favorite character in 40K. Am from the EU if that makes any difference for syncing battles.

Cheesegear
2015-04-23, 02:38 AM
I just came into the thread to point out that 'League' has an 'a' in it. :smallwink:

Lionheart
2015-04-23, 05:28 AM
Definitely interested. I'm in the UK, so might be difficult with timings etc.

My army is Space Wolves/marines, but I've been looking at playing Tau as a side project as well, so this would be a good place to start.

Voidhawk
2015-04-23, 05:51 AM
I'm in the UK for syncing, so I anticpate we may fight each other alot Tehnar!

Favorite army is either Necrons or Tau (I don't have a Tau army in real life so was hoping to play one), favorite faction is Tyranids, and character... why not Doomrider. The extreme aspects of 40k are always better when they're X-TREME. :smalltongue:

Tehnar
2015-04-23, 06:47 AM
It might be a good idea to set up things before hand, to speed up the Vassal games.

So we might set a point limit on our games, types of allies used, and post lists in this thread so to minimize time.
Define terrain types before hand, or even create a couple of maps for everyone to use (if I figure out how to upload them later).

Anyway my suggestion is that we play at 1500, on a standard 6'x4'. Any games are ok with me, though I would prefer to avoid unbound.

Volthawk
2015-04-23, 07:14 AM
Well I'm a Brit too, so there's that. Hell, seems most of us here so far are around that kinda EU time zone.

As for the questions...favourite army is IG (oh wait the codex is AM now. Forgot) although CSM is up there too (love noise marines), faction is Mechanicus, and character....hrm, Al'Rahem I guess (RIP in peace, I'll miss your outflanking platoon).

Eldan
2015-04-23, 08:17 AM
If we do a kind of campaign, i'll probably go Harlies/Eldar, then.

Jormengand
2015-04-23, 04:13 PM
Favourite army probably tau or Chaos Demons, favourite faction is the Spyrers from Necromunda (shaddup they're a faction), and favourite character... favourite to use is probably Shrike, favourite fluff is probably... uhm... let me think... can I say DMS? Seriously, I don't really like the 40K ones. Favourite silly has to go to Aun'va. His six-pack deflects railguns, but he doesn't have time to save against your lasgun.

Hazzardevil
2015-04-25, 05:32 AM
I have bits and pieces of a Tau army underneath where I'm sitting now and that's all I have experience with, but I'm interested in the new Chaos armies.
Also British.

...favourite army is IG (oh wait the codex is AM now. Forgot)

I am not acknowledging the renaming of the IG.

LordDavenport
2015-04-26, 04:38 PM
Sorry for not responding, got a bit busy after making the thread.

It might be a good idea to set up things before hand, to speed up the Vassal games.

That was the plan with this thread.

So we might set a point limit on our games, types of allies used, and post lists in this thread so to minimize time.Define terrain types before hand, or even create a couple of maps for everyone to use (if I figure out how to upload them later).

I have been wanting to go through the VASSAL 40k terrain models and figure rules out for them. Never gotten around to it. What I have been doing is rolling a 1d3 for each 2' square of table in game, and taking turns placing terrain until all 2' squares have their d3 roll in terrain... but that massively increases set up time.

Preset maps would be good, and should be fairly easy to share... if someone has a good idea I would be glad to hear it.

Ideas for maps: War torn Warehouse district, Forest, Swamp, Dune Desert... hope other people have more.

Also, to make this a proper league and get people into playing... What about a 500 point round robin tourney?
No list restrictions, given there will be no prizes and bringing an overly cheesy list is going to0 set you up as "that guy."

Round robin just means we get a list of players, then play against each other 1v1 until everyone has played everyone else. That way we each play as many people as possible, and no amount of losing can make you stop having games. 500 points because those games tend to be shorter. Anyone like this idea?

JNAProductions
2015-04-26, 05:25 PM
Seems a bit small.

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it's possibly a little small, but I think I can probably work with it. I have a couple of ideas.

Tychris1
2015-04-26, 05:37 PM
500 points is a tad small, but I can still fit a Slaughtercult into it so sure why not.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 05:43 PM
500 points is a tad small, but I can still fit a Slaughtercult into it so sure why not.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

HUMANS FOR THE HUMAN GOD! GOLD FOR THE GOLDEN THRONE! :smalltongue:

Yeah, I'm dropping Mehrens and low-flying guardsmen on you. Haz fun.

JNAProductions
2015-04-26, 05:45 PM
You know, if we stay bound, I can still take

1 Sorceror
10 Cultists
10 Cultists
1 Heldrake

and fit a flyer into 500 points.

Of course, going unbound means I could just take 2 flying turkeys and a prince, but that's mean.

Ionbound
2015-04-26, 05:46 PM
Oh man, I'd love to try 40k in a setting that won't make me have to sell blood plasma and hair to try to afford it.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-04-26, 05:46 PM
I, sadly, don't even have a codex. >.>

Maybe I should go to the game shop and see if they have some. They should at least have the basic Space Marine codex.

Dragonus45
2015-04-26, 05:55 PM
I'm a Tau guy myself the the Imperial Guard also hold a place close in my heart. Also how dare you make me chose between Ibram Gaunt and Ciaphus Caine.

Oh man, I'd love to try 40k in a setting that won't make me have to sell blood plasma and hair to try to afford it.

I find it heartening to know I'm not the only person to have literally paid for their 40k minis in blood.

Ionbound
2015-04-26, 06:01 PM
Oh, speaking of Codicies, which edition are we using? I assume 7th, but people have weird idiosyncracies and I'd like to be certain.

As for my favorite factions and character, I have to say I have a soft spot in my heart for the CW Eldar, and for Magnus the Red, just because I kinda really appreciate the tragic irony of his story. Though Cain is a really close second.

I find it heartening to know I'm not the only person to have literally paid for their 40k minis in blood.

*coughs* I'm not willing to go that far. 'specially where there's nobody around here to play with. I did say try, after all. Never really played 40k before.

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 06:03 PM
You know, if we stay bound, I can still take

1 Sorceror
10 Cultists
10 Cultists
1 Heldrake

and fit a flyer into 500 points.

Of course, going unbound means I could just take 2 flying turkeys and a prince, but that's mean.

I'm thinking:
Librarian
Scout snipers*2
Elysian CCS with meltas
Elysian veterans with flamers and heavy flamer
Vulture Gunship with autocannon and IR flares.

There is no such thing as "Enough deep striking close-range assault weapons".

Or in unbound...

Vulture with punisher gatling gun
Vulture with lascannon
Vendetta

No, I'm not that much of a jerk, but I swear that if you field two drakes and a daemon prince, that prince is taking 20 S5 right up the butt.

JNAProductions
2015-04-26, 06:09 PM
Nah, I'm running Tau, actually. (Which is probably worse, since 7th Edition, but what-have-you)

Ionbound
2015-04-26, 06:22 PM
Also, how do I get the 40k module working?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it, but I'm not sure how to set up and save an army. Any help?

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 06:35 PM
Also, how do I get the 40k module working?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it, but I'm not sure how to set up and save an army. Any help?

There is a save button somewhere, so you can just save the entire game. Not sure if you can save just the army and import it into another game, though.

Trixie
2015-04-26, 08:34 PM
500 points? Hmm.

I'd be interested, as on one hand, my favourite faction would maybe stand a chance without allies, on the other, I could be labelled that guy just for playing it :smallsigh:

LordDavenport
2015-04-26, 09:02 PM
There is a save army button, and a load army button. They are on the top bar.

On the subject of things you can fit in 500 points:
Farsight enclaves lets you fit a fully kitted riptide. Nearly two... but that is not an actually good army.
Still...
Riptide with accelerator, earth caste pilot array, Stimulant injectors, velocity tracker.
270 points.
Required Cadre fireblade
3 man crisis suit team with knife ritual and double flamers
1 man crisis suit team with knife ritual and double flamers
Pathfinders
226 points

496 points.

With a riptide eating up over half the points. Dies to green tide, due to massed fire killing everything...

Volthawk
2015-04-26, 09:05 PM
Ooh, the Skitarii codex came out. I'd kinda like to play around with that.

Turns out there is a normal-ish detachment too, which is nice. Initially thought I'd have to use a formation, since I was blind for a bit (hence the old big post which is now gone).

Dragonus45
2015-04-26, 09:14 PM
Bugger I am so far behind the rules of 40k right now its not even funny. I may need some help putting an army worth talking about together.

LordDavenport
2015-04-26, 09:27 PM
Also, remeber, 500 is just a suggestion, and meant to be for a couple weeks of fast games to get to know each other. Keeping things simple is always fair, at 500 points boys are much better then toys.

Volthawk
2015-04-26, 09:28 PM
Also, remeber, 500 is just a suggestion, and meant to be for a couple weeks of fast games to get to know each other. Keeping things simple is always fair, at 500 points boys are much better then toys.

Yeah, it's not a problem actually. I just somehow completely missed the fact that Skitarii get a custom detachment outside of the formations that works just fine (can easily make a 500pt army using its allowances).

Cheesegear
2015-04-26, 09:33 PM
I have no interest in participating (but I'm very interested in reading battle reports, complete with pictures), but I do have a few gems that might be helpful.

Preset maps would be good, and should be fairly easy to share... if someone has a good idea I would be glad to hear it.

Set up a Dropbox Account for the thread. You might want to PM people the password to it. Put your saved 'games', where your 'game' is simply a map, with no armies, on 'Turn 0'. Then everybody downloads the same game file and you should be good to go.

As to how to set up terrain, to make it properly fair, instead of 'random' and skewing the board, all terrain should fit into one corner of the map.

http://belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/terrain1.png
Source; BoLS

If you're playing low points, you want to be playing on a 4x4' board, not 6x4'. But the principle is the same.
As to specifically, what Terrain to use. You want to stick mainly with Ruins and Forest pieces, since those two Terrain types are the most interacted with, and it totally sucks when you roll up a Warlord Trait that gives you Move Through Cover (Ruins), except that there are no Ruins on the board, and it sucks to be you. Of course, if you roll something literally useless - like MTC (Ruins) and there are no Ruins on the board - then it may just be helpful to re-roll, like what happens when you literally can't complete a Maelstrom Objective.

What about a 500 point round robin tourney?

Why start so small? You're already bypassing the main reason for Escalation-style tournaments, that it takes both time and money to put an army together. Vassal bypasses both of those things. Only reason to start so small is if your players aren't comfortable with the game, and don't know rules any better. However, if that's the case, you're better off with 400 Points, and using altered rules to play the game, except any rules that you're likely to find concerning 400 Point games all throw back to 4th Ed., and have no place in regards to 7th Ed. However, that shouldn't even be a problem, since nobody using Vassal is spending money on minis that arbitrarily get removed from the game.

If you want to play 'real' 40K, you want to be playing at least 750 Points.

But, I have read the thread, and I do know that there are people who haven't even played the game since 5th, or at all. So if you really want to play 500 Points, the best way to do that, is to make people use the FOC for Allied Detachments; 1 HQ, 1-2 Troops, 0-1 everything else. That immediately reduces the possibility of anyone being 'that guy'. 1 HQ and 1 Troops is a perfectly reasonable tax, and nobody needs more than one Elites choice in 500 Points and anybody who says otherwise is wrong - if you can fit a Formation under 500 Points, that's cool too, since Harlequins and Skitarii kind of have to work like that.

Point is, the Allied Detachment FOC is best to use for small point games. I strongly suggest that you use it. And I'm aware that I'm saying that as someone who isn't even participating*, but as a well-informed observer. If you want to use Unbound, or run '40K in 40mins' rules which arbitrarily remove models from the game that don't even need to be removed anymore, then go for it.

I'll also point out that for Vassal games, Skype (or whatever call device you choose) is pretty much the best thing ever. However, I'm well aware that certain calling apps give away personal information, but, I don't know... It's just easier.

*It's not that I don't want to participate, it's that I have a very busy schedule, and unless you're on my timezone, I can't really play any games at all. Same reason that I can't really participate in the Steam Blood Bowl League; At any point in time, I'll have to drop out, or lose one or two weeks worth of games, and it feels disingenuous to start something knowing that I may have to drop out and some undefined point in the future, or fishguts to my opponent/s and feed certain players free wins.
Anyone who reads the actual 40K thread knows that I obviously have Vassal at my disposal.

Ionbound
2015-04-26, 09:38 PM
Uh, Teamspeak and Mumble are both pretty good voice clients that are anonymous if anyone knows how to set up a server.

Manticoran
2015-04-26, 09:45 PM
I would play the crap out of this, but I'd need someone to tell me which edition rulebook for each faction is current so I can get my hands on them. xD I hear Harlequins are back or something?

Cheesegear
2015-04-26, 10:14 PM
Current legal books; and Supplements

6th Ed.
Adepta Sororitas
Astra Militarum
Chaos Daemons
Chaos Space Marines; Black Legion, Crimson Slaughter
Chaos Marines
Dark Angels
Imperial Knights
Inquisition
Legion of the Damned
Militarum Tempestus
Space Marines; Sentinels of Terra, Clan Raukaan
Tau; Farsight Enclaves
Tyranids

7th Ed.
Orks; Waaagh! Ghazgkull
Space Wolves; Champions of Fenris
Grey Knights
Dark Eldar; Haemonculus Covens
Blood Angels
Necrons
Harlequins
Khorne Daemonkin
Skitarii
Craftworlds (formerly known as Eldar)

Stronghold Assault is legal. Several parts of Escalation are not legal, but some are - it's a weird book. All Dataslates are legal except for Eldar Ghost Warriors.

Drasius
2015-04-27, 03:55 AM
I also claim the not-playing-but-would-love-batreps-of-games position of Cheesegear for myself for much the same reasons.

Voidhawk
2015-04-27, 06:41 AM
As far as terrain goes, how's this for a starter suggestion: everyone creates and submits one map to drop-box, and then when a game is called you randomly choose a map from the pile.

Tehnar
2015-04-28, 01:36 AM
As far as terrain goes, how's this for a starter suggestion: everyone creates and submits one map to drop-box, and then when a game is called you randomly choose a map from the pile.

I support this.

Also if we are going to be playing low point games, I suggest we go with the no flyers rule so the game doesn't devolve into everyone bringing flyers to stay competitive.

Personally I would prefer to start at least a 1000 points and we can go straight with 6'x4' boards.

Alent
2015-04-28, 02:05 AM
I figure I know so little as to be maddening to the established playgrounders if I played in this, so I'll hold off until my IRL friends either teach me the game properly or make me go "Help me Obi-wan GitPnobi" in the other thread again... but I thought I'd ask if Vassal battle reports were just end results or more like game replays?

Because if they're like replays, I'd be interested in studying them, too.

Karogas
2015-04-28, 02:50 AM
I'd be interested in joining, not played 40k for years and years though so would have to do some reading up.

Got a large Tau army knocking about.

Cheesegear
2015-04-28, 03:03 AM
but I thought I'd ask if Vassal battle reports were just end results or more like game replays?

They look exactly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18591864&postcount=247) like (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18874378&postcount=944) this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17640008&postcount=1241), except by having everyone in-thread, there's really no excuse not to have the other side's input as well.

Eldan
2015-04-28, 04:01 AM
If we have the time, yeah, one can do a screenshot at the beginning and end of every turn and have both players write a short commentary on what went on.

Manticoran
2015-04-28, 11:01 AM
I'd generally be in favor of fifteen hundred point teams, just because I remember that's about the value where the factions would actually roughly even out in power, with some being significantly stronger at low values and others barely even able to function at less than a thousand.

That might have changed since fifth edition though.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-04-28, 06:39 PM
1500 is usually what I like to be the normal size as well.

Cheesegear
2015-04-28, 07:12 PM
I'd generally be in favor of fifteen hundred point teams, just because I remember that's about the value where the factions would actually roughly even out in power, with some being significantly stronger at low values and others barely even able to function at less than a thousand.

That's still the case. 1500 is arguably the 'best' points value to play at. But there's a whole bunch of people posting interest who don't even know how to play the game, let alone use Vassal.

Volthawk
2015-04-28, 07:21 PM
1500 works for me, leaves me more able to play around with the formations and sicarians and stuff (strikes me that I'd have to proxy the hell out of everything though. 40k module's been updated pretty recently, but not that recently).

Allies, too, thinking about it. Skitarii do have holes in their options that could do with covering.

Cheesegear
2015-04-30, 01:09 AM
My local store had this saved on their computer from the post-Christmas season in January. I've pretty much already said everything in it (because I remembered that it was a good rule set), but here it is in all its copy-pasted glory.

500 Points. 1 Detachment only. CADs may not be used. However, players may use the following special Detachment;

500 Point Detachment
1 HQ
1-2 Troops
0-1 Elites
0-1 Fast Attack
0-1 Heavy Support
Ideal Commander: A Warlord from this Formation may re-roll their Warlord Trait.
Objective Secured

Restrictions -
No Lords of War. Formations that require a Lord of War may not be taken.
0-1 Flier and/or Flying Monstrous Creature. Formations that require two or more Fliers/FMCs may not be taken.

Manticoran
2015-04-30, 01:12 PM
For a 500 point army list, that seems reasonable.

I should clarify that a lot of the reason I don't like 500 point lists is that I play Tyranids, and it is very hard to make a functional Tyranid list at 500 points that isn't just a lot of Genestealers or a lot of Warriors.

Drasius
2015-04-30, 06:03 PM
HQ
130 - Deathleaper

Troops
215 - Tervigon, Crushing Claws
160 - 30x Termagaunts, 10x Devourers, 20x Fleshborers

Deathleapers should actually be decent at 500 and free units from a monsterous creature who will brutalise anything he gets into combat with is nasty.

If you don't like having friends;

240 - Flyrant, 2x TL Devs, E-Grubs
230 - Flyrant, 2x TL Devs

15 - Mucolid spore
15 - Mucolid spore

If you want to be reasonable

230 - Flyrant, 2x TL Devs

39 - 3x Ripper swarms
105 - 3x Warriors, Adrenal Glands

120 - Carnifex

Closet_Skeleton
2015-04-30, 06:11 PM
I'm rubbish at this game

HQ

Hive Tyrant, stranglethorn cannon -180 points
2 Tyrant Guard - 100 points

Elites

Hive Guard Brood, 1 model - 55 points

Hive Guard Brood, 1 model - 55 points

Troops

Termagant Brood, fleshborers, 13 models - 52 points

Termagant Brood, fleshborers, 14 models - 56 points

I should clarify that a lot of the reason I don't like 500 point lists is that I play Tyranids, and it is very hard to make a functional Tyranid list at 500 points that isn't just a lot of Genestealers or a lot of Warriors.

Fixed

Gnoman
2015-04-30, 07:23 PM
I'm interested, if I can track down a cheap copy of the rulebook and if somebody will post a detailed tutorial on how to get VASSAL working properly (which I've never managed to do).

Manticoran
2015-04-30, 07:51 PM
For a 500 point army list, that seems reasonable.

I should clarify that a lot of the reason I don't like 500 point lists is that I play Tyranids, and it is very hard to make a functional Tyranid list at 500 points that isn't just a lot of Genestealers or a lot of Warriors as of fourth edition, which is the last time I really played.

Er, yeah, sorry, that.

Volthawk
2015-04-30, 09:02 PM
So would Skitarii/Harlequins/other no-HQ armies I've missed still use their own detachments or just ignore the HQ requirement from that detachment?

Cheesegear
2015-04-30, 09:11 PM
So would Skitarii/Harlequins/other no-HQ armies I've missed still use their own detachments or just ignore the HQ requirement from that detachment?

Neither. Use one of their Detachments. The 500 Point Detachment is only to replace CADs. If you can use another Detachment, or Formation, that costs less than 500 Points, doesn't have a Lord of War and doesn't have more than one Flier/FMC, you're allowed to have it. Harlequins and Skitarii are totally usable, but they're the exceptions, rather than the rule.

Tehnar
2015-05-01, 09:31 AM
I suggest that we play at two point values, 500 and 1500. Everyone who wants to play at a point level makes a list for that point level, and a map for that point.

For the 500 point game we make a 4'x4' map and for 1500 a 6'x4' map.

This is my idea for a map, at the 500 point level. Did anyone open a dropbox account to deposit the save?

http://s30.postimg.org/xqkdk9eap/Snow_Temple.png

LordDavenport
2015-05-01, 01:24 PM
I now have a drop box, but have no idea of how to work with it. I don't think everyone wants to give an email... I could also just take in all the maps and you people can trust my randomization.

Cheesegear
2015-05-01, 07:51 PM
I now have a drop box, but have no idea of how to work with it. I don't think everyone wants to give an email... I could also just take in all the maps and you people can trust my randomization.

What do you need e-mail for? The Playground has an inbuilt PM system.

Eddicus
2015-05-02, 01:41 PM
Hello Everyone, stumbled across this thread as I googled for "Vassal playgroup". I'm pretty new to 40k but familiar with Vassal and would love to join you guys. I live in the Netherlands, so time difference can be an issue during weekdays but shouldnt really be a problem during the weekends. Basically I'm just looking to have some fun games and have a good time while doing it. Totally open to skype or TS for some friendly banter while playing.

Normally I'd be inclined to go with a Farsight Enclave army but I noticed a lot of people wanting to play Tau. So in the name of army diversity I'll bring the Grey Knights. Which means I'll probably get tabled a lot at 500 points haha.

Im also available for one off games against my Enclaves list for people fancying 1850pts games.

Tychris1
2015-05-02, 05:45 PM
I don't care at what point we start at, so I'll just make a 500 point list since everyone else seems to be making one.

Slaughter Cult:

Chaos Lord: 175
Kor'Lath the Axe of Ruin
Melta Bombs

12 Bloodletters: 125
Bloodreaper

8 Bloodletters: 85
Bloodreaper

5 Possessed: 150

Edit: If we can't organize Skype or find a TS server to use, I know a friend who might be willing to loan his.

Edit: I'm in EST.

Eddicus
2015-05-03, 12:09 PM
How exactly are we planning to kick this thing off? All get online at the same time at a set date?

Tehnar
2015-05-03, 04:25 PM
Not sure if this goes according to rules for the 500 point edition, but here goes my 500 point Harlequin list.

Formation: Path of Heroes (265)
Death Jester
Solitaire
Shadowseer

Formation: Cast of Players (233)
Harlequin troop:
4x Players, 2x kiss
1xTroupe Master (W), Caress
Shadowseer
Death Jester

Eldan
2015-05-03, 04:57 PM
I was trying Harlies too, and I don't htink I can get it to work all that well. Though I'd probably drop the Solitaire* and put in a transport instead.

*I love hte model, but I don't think he's worth it. *sigh*

Tehnar
2015-05-03, 05:06 PM
Oh I have no illusions that its a hard list. Probably just taking basic guardsmen or ork boyz is enough to win. I just love the solitaire and want it in the list.

The only options I was thinking about are do I add a additional player and just take the kiss on the Troupe master or go with 4 kisses, or go with the loadout I have above.

The reason I want to use harlequins is that there is that the recent Eldar codex left a bad taste in my mouth.

Eldan
2015-05-03, 05:10 PM
Yeah, new Eldar are problematic. They should be fine, if you avoid the cheesiest units? I hope? I.e. few jetbikes with fewer heavy weapons and probably stay away from wraiths entirely?

Jormengand
2015-05-03, 06:21 PM
So here's my armies:

Iron Hands (C:SM):
Master of the Forge
Scout snipers
Dreadnought
Land Raider Redeemer with MultimeltaIron Hands (C:SM):
Librarian (T'path)
Scout snipers*2
Allies: Elysian Drop Troops (IA3TC2E):
Elysian CCS with meltas
Elysian veterans with flamers and heavy flamer
Vulture Gunship with autocannon and IR flares.Tau Empire (C:TE):
Ethereal
20 Kroot
20 Kroot
18 Kroot
Piranha with flechette dischargers and blacksun filter
3 XV88s with HYMPs and V-trackers
Hammerhead Support Gunship with Commander Longstrike, blacksun filter and submunition rounds
Daemons (C:CD):
Herald of Tzeentch (Mal) ML 3 * 10
Herald of Tzeentch (Mal) ML 1Imperial Fists (C:SM):
Librarian (T'path)
Tactical Marines with plasma cannon
Tactical Marines
Allies: Elysian Drop Troops (IA3TC2E):
Elysian CCS with 3 meltas and vox-caster
Elysian PCS with 3 meltas and vox-caster
- 2 Combined Elysian squads with flamers and vox-caster
- Elysian special weapons squad with plasma guns
- Elysian special weapons squad with lascutters
- Elysian special weapons squad with flamers
- 3 drop sentinels with heavy flamers
Vendetta gunship

Thank you 50% rule for going and dying in a fire. Screw you demo charges for turning into CCWs.

Volthawk
2015-05-03, 07:07 PM
Guess I better decide on a skitarii list:

Skitarii Maniple:
Skitarii Rangers
- +5 Rangers
- 3 arc rifles
Skitarii Vanguard
- 2 arc rifles
Skitarii Vanguard
- 2 arc rifles
Ironstrider Ballistarii
Ironstrider Ballistarii
Ironstrider Ballistarii

Arc rifles seem to be the better of the special weapons available (well, plasma calivers probably have their role, but I figure given the cost involved you'd have to set things up more for them), and ballistarii seem a cheap source of higher-strength dakka (considered the lascannon variants, but all my infantry have Haywire which should deal with the stuff the autocannons can't).

Recaiden
2015-05-03, 08:17 PM
Not having played in quiiite a while, but I have some interest.

Lionheart
2015-05-04, 02:39 AM
I've got my Space Wolves army prepared as well:

Rune Priest; Mastery Level 2, combi-plasma

Grey Hunters (x5)
Plasma Gun, WGBL; Combi-Plasma
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

Grey Hunters (x5)
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

Long Fangs (x5); x2 Missile Launchers, x2 Lascannons

LordDavenport
2015-05-04, 12:00 PM
Sorry for my inactivity, finals are being fun.

How exactly are we planning to kick this thing off? All get online at the same time at a set date?

I was figuring on a weekly league style thing, were at some point(call it Saturday at 10pm est) all lists must be submitted to an organizer. Then that organizer makes pairings randomly, and posts them in thread. Then the pairs set up a time to play. If this goes on more then a couple weeks, a system of rankings could be added to so people with higher win rates get matched together so worse players don't just get steamrollered forever.

Also, perhaps add a timezone note to your list so the organizer can match times zones together for convenience.

This is just for the orgnized part of play... Maybe also add to your list sent to the orginizer a list of times in the following week you would be looking for pick up games? Also just play pick up games with people you meet in this thread.

Eldan
2015-05-04, 01:49 PM
Well, I can just say that it would probably be almost impossible for me to play against Americans, except maybe on Sunday. I have three or four hours of free time every evening, which I think is around noon for Americans.

Tychris1
2015-05-04, 01:53 PM
Actually I could probably play against you Eldan. Noon's not a bad time for me during the weekend. And in a month I can do noon any day.

Tehnar
2015-05-04, 02:36 PM
I think it will take too much effort to organize a set time for everyone. Let just players play as they want, and are online and post their results here later.

On that note: WE NEED MORE MAPS and a place to put them.

Dragonus45
2015-05-04, 04:50 PM
Quick question what is the legality of forge world stuff? I have never been sure of it so I figured I would ask.

Gnoman
2015-05-04, 06:59 PM
I've found a 7th edition rulebook, but I either don't have Vassal set up right, or I don't know how to operate it properly.

LordDavenport
2015-05-04, 07:59 PM
PM me the map files. I will set up links to the drop box at some point.

Eddicus
2015-05-05, 10:47 AM
Well since i havent seen any tau armies so far, and several imperial ones. Here's my tau list afterall:

HQ
Commander
2x Burst Cannon, Drone controller, 2x Gun Drone, Target lock

TROOPS
XV8 Crisis Team
Bonding Knife Ritual
3x Crisis Shas'ui
6x Missile Pod

XV8 Crisis Team
Bonding Knife Ritual
1X Crisis Shas'ui
Flamer, 2x Fusion Blaster

FAST ATTACK
Drone Squadron
4x Gun Drone

HEAVY SUPPORT
Sniper Drone Team
3x Firesight Marksman, 3x Sniper Drone

Jormengand
2015-05-05, 12:52 PM
Well since i havent seen any tau armies so far

Hey, one of my possible lists (depending on what points/rules we finally decide we're using) is C:TE.

Dragonus45
2015-05-05, 04:27 PM
Ok, I've got a 500 point Tau list put together if anyone wants to do a game at some point. I'm still reading up on 7th edition though. You can PM me here or catch me on the mumble server from the league of legends thread to organize a time.

Jormengand
2015-05-05, 04:39 PM
Ok, I've got a 500 point Tau list put together if anyone wants to do a game at some point. I'm still reading up on 7th edition though. You can PM me here or catch me on the mumble server from the league of legends thread to organize a time.

I'd be happy to face you whenever you're available.

Dragonus45
2015-05-05, 04:44 PM
I'm still struggling with setting vassal up at the moment but I might be free later tonight if you wanted.

Jormengand
2015-05-05, 04:47 PM
I'm still struggling with setting vassal up at the moment but I might be free later tonight if you wanted.

Sure. My Vassal be cray and my laptop is bad so I'll need to shut everything else off to Vassal, but I can go on if I just know when we're doing it.

Dragonus45
2015-05-05, 07:03 PM
For some reason every time I try and load the 40k module vassal crashes. I'll just have to put this off I guess. Raincheck on the game?

Jormengand
2015-05-05, 07:59 PM
For some reason every time I try and load the 40k module vassal crashes. I'll just have to put this off I guess. Raincheck on the game?

Sure, with it being 2AM by this point anyway and all.

Eddicus
2015-05-08, 01:30 AM
Anyone up for a 1850 pts game this weekend while we wait for this thing to kick off proper?

Cheesegear
2015-05-08, 02:12 AM
I was figuring on a weekly league style thing, were at some point (call it Saturday at 10pm est) all lists must be submitted to an organizer. Then that organizer makes pairings randomly, and posts them in thread. Then the pairs set up a time to play. If this goes on more then a couple weeks, a system of rankings could be added to so people with higher win rates get matched together so worse players don't just get steamrollered forever.

Also, perhaps add a timezone note to your list so the organizer can match times zones together for convenience.

This is just for the orgnized part of play... Maybe also add to your list sent to the orginizer a list of times in the following week you would be looking for pick up games? Also just play pick up games with people you meet in this thread.

Hate to break it to you man, unless someone else steps up, you're the organizer. The Vassal League was your idea. You got people invested. You have the OP.

PM me the map files. I will set up links to the drop box at some point.

You own the Dropbox. How are you not the EO again? :smallconfused:
Also, we can't send you attachments via PM. The way you do it, is you PM the Password to the DropBox to people in the thread, and THEY put it in the box. After all, everyone needs to be able to access the Dropbox anyway, otherwise how is anyone else except you supposed to access the maps? Unless you can make a Dropbox public, in which case I didn't know that you could do that (although I did know that you could do it with Google Drive).

@Everyone Else
So, if want to be a confirmed player, what you need to do, is post your Vassal username and your GMT, and a link to the post that contains your army list. Yes. Your opponents are absolutely allowed to look at your army list.

The EO - whoever that is (Hint; It's not me, I'm not playing. Just well informed.) - then confirms you as a player, by putting you, your army list link, and your GMT in a table (PROTIP: The table should go in the OP), and sends you the Password to the map Dropbox via the PM system on the Playground.

I'm really trying to make sure that this thread succeeds where the other three or four Vassal Threads have failed. Even though I'm not actually playing, I'm invested in the thread. Because if this League succeeds, that means a future League can succeed, a future in which my life is not so busy and can actually participate.

Dragonus45
2015-05-08, 02:21 AM
Thanks cheesgear your help is greatly appreciated.

My vassal name is the same as on here and I'm GMT -5. I have some army list stuff but I was wondering what the final total was going to be?

LeSwordfish
2015-05-08, 02:48 AM
If this takes off and is still only 500pts, I might be able to join. Maybe. Not sure with what army yet- maybe test out the new Eldar, Skitarii, or Tempestus. I also need to figure out how vassal works.

Tehnar
2015-05-08, 02:56 AM
Vassal name: Ghremdal
Army: Harlequins

Death Jester
Solitaire
Shadowseer

Harlequin troop:
4x Players, 1xkiss, 1x embrace
1xTroupe Master (W), 1x kiss, 1x haywire grenades
Shadowseer
Death Jester

Cegorach's Revenge (1500pts)

Death Jester
Death Jester
Death Jester

Shadowseer
Mastery Level 2, The Mask of Secrets

Shadowseer
Mastery Level 1

Shadowseer
Mastery Level 1

Skyweavers
Skyweaver
Shuriken Cannon, Star Bolas
Skyweaver

Skyweavers
Skyweaver
Skyweaver

Solitaire
Haywire grenades

Troupe
Starweaver
5x Caress

Troupe
Starweaver
5x Caress
Starweaver

Troupe
7x additional players
5x Caress, 1x Embrace, 1x Kiss
Troupe Master (W), Cegorach's Rose

Voidweaver
Haywire cannon

1500 on the dot.

Cheesegear
2015-05-08, 03:30 AM
I have some army list stuff but I was wondering what the final total was going to be?

It's 500 Points. We've got people in the thread who don't even know how to play 40K, let alone know how to use Vassal.

...Wait. Am I the EO? :smallconfused:

Dragonus45
2015-05-08, 03:55 AM
It's 500 Points. We've got people in the thread who don't even know how to play 40K, let alone know how to use Vassal.

...Wait. Am I the EO? :smallconfused:

Hell if I know man, but if you do wind up being stuck with it I would gladly help you out. I would do it myself but I'm not sure if I would be qualified.

Lionheart
2015-05-08, 04:42 AM
Vassal Username: Lionheartedboy

Time Zone - GMT +/- 0:00

Grey Hunters (x5)
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

Grey Hunters (x5)
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

LordDavenport
2015-05-08, 09:11 AM
How are you not the EO again?

Because finals week. In just over 8 hours I will actually act like the EO...

But ok, if you want to be in this weeks round, PM me your 500 points list(potentially using the modified FOC cheese gear posted), time zone, and days of next week you are available for a game by 11:59 am est Saturday. You can also add a [noob] tag to your submission if you don't have a good grasp of the rules of 40k. I will then try match you with people that have been around on the other warhammer thread a lot.

Also post your army in thread, so people can see what you are going to be running. Only send me the final list you are going to be running.

I will PM back each player the password to the DropBox. It would be best if each of you would then make and upload a 4x4 map, with annotation like this.

For the 500 point game we make a 4'x4' map
This is my idea for a map, at the 500 point level.

http://s30.postimg.org/xqkdk9eap/Snow_Temple.png

THEN I will make and post pairings, randomizing but favoring for pairings with similar times zones and available days.

It will then be up to you to pm whoever you are matched against to find a time and play.

I will be playing Chaos Space marines. Probably Typhus because zombies are fun.

HQ
Typhus 230 points

Troops
Chaos Cultists(Zombies)x 35 150 points
Chaos Cultists(Zombies)x 15 70 points
Chaos Cultists(Zombies)x 10 50 points

A terrible list but still fun. Walls of zombies.

LeSwordfish
2015-05-08, 09:32 AM
Can I make a recommendation coming in from the Blood Bowl thread? Can we make it every two weeks? Vassal games - even small ones - can take a long time and a lot of fuss, and I know full well that I wouldn't be able to organise one every week short of staying up until 2am.

Often everyone will be done long before the deadline, so it moves faster than it seems. It also means people can be more flexible with regards to week-long things like family holidays (summer is coming up), finals weeks, and suchlike.

I'd also like to enter but no way can I be ready to do so by the end of tomorrow. Maybe give us the full weekend?

Manticoran
2015-05-08, 09:48 AM
Well, there's a lot less penalties for missing a week though, because you don't have to worry about army growth in 40k like you do in blood bowl.

LordDavenport
2015-05-08, 09:50 AM
Can I make a recommendation coming in from the Blood Bowl thread? Can we make it every two weeks? Vassal games - even small ones - can take a long time and a lot of fuss, and I know full well that I wouldn't be able to organise one every week short of staying up until 2am.

Often everyone will be done long before the deadline, so it moves faster than it seems. It also means people can be more flexible with regards to week-long things like family holidays (summer is coming up), finals weeks, and suchlike.

We can see how it goes. This is all very touch and go. If games are still going next week, we can let it go another week.

I'd also like to enter but no way can I be ready to do so by the end of tomorrow. Maybe give us the full weekend?

It is the middle of the day tomorrow. Just shy of noon.

500 point lists kinda make themselves... just makes something Janky and simple(see typhus+ 270 points of zambies). This week is more getting used to playing with each other more then anything.

LeSwordfish
2015-05-08, 09:51 AM
I guess: I still don't want to be marked down as a "loss" because I don't have free time for a week.

I prefer to earn my losses, thank you. :smalltongue:

LeSwordfish
2015-05-08, 10:09 AM
We can see how it goes. This is all very touch and go. If games are still going next week, we can let it go another week.

It is the middle of the day tomorrow. Just shy of noon.

500 point lists kinda make themselves... just makes something Janky and simple(see typhus+ 270 points of zambies). This week is more getting used to playing with each other more then anything.

If we can join after this week, then I will- but i'm 200miles from laptop or codices until Sunday so aside from a list I already know by heart (and why bother with that?) I won't be able to put anything together.

LordDavenport
2015-05-08, 10:10 AM
Thing is, cheese was correct. Thread is losing momentum, and needs to do what it says in the title. Now, honestly, I have never had a game take more then like... 6 hours? when both lists were done and the map was set up. I hope people can get that done in a week...

LeSwordfish
2015-05-08, 10:11 AM
Personally I have trouble linking up with people for the 45 minutes required for a blood bowl game.

Tychris1
2015-05-08, 10:30 AM
Slaughter Cult:

Kor'Lath the Axe of Ruin
Melta Bombs

Bloodreaper

Bloodreaper

5 Possessed: 150

Timezone: EST
Army: Khorne Daemonkin
Vassal Username: Tychris

Dragonus45
2015-05-08, 02:32 PM
Ok here is my 500 list. +++ Final 500 (498pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Supplement - Farsight Enclaves (2013) (Allied Detachment) (498pts) ++

+ HQ (115pts) +

Commander (115pts) [2x Burst Cannon, Counterfire Defence System, Target lock]

+ Troops (159pts) +

XV8 Crisis Team (159pts)
····[b]Crisis Shas'ui [Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle]
····Crisis Shas'ui [Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle]

+ Fast Attack (82pts) +

Tetra Scout Speeder Team [FW] (82pts)
····Tetra [Blacksun Filter, Sensor spines]
····Tetra

[b]+ Heavy Support (142pts) +

XV88 Broadside Team (142pts)
····[b]Broadside Shas'ui [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
····Broadside Shas'ui [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

EST
Farsight Enclave Tau
I'll have it stored here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JNeeix77-pZBwy2Yu_epLMmtENhv1LUAqpq0Q_7-hn4/edit) as well for reference.

Jormengand
2015-05-08, 02:56 PM
Master of the Forge (W; Ideal commander)
Scout snipers
Stormtalon Gunship
Land Raider Redeemer

(1 HQ, 1-2 troops, -1 Elites, 0-1 FA, 0-1 HS)

I'll probably make my Vassal name Jormengand/Jormungandr or something of that calibre. I'm on BST at the moment.

Volthawk
2015-05-08, 03:44 PM
Skitarii Maniple:
Skitarii Rangers
- +5 Rangers
- 3 arc rifles
Skitarii Vanguard
- 2 arc rifles
Skitarii Vanguard
- 2 arc rifles
Ironstrider Ballistarii
Ironstrider Ballistarii
Ironstrider Ballistarii

Timezone: GMT
Vassal Name: Volthawk

As for times that are right-out, I'd say...Sunday night/Monday morning and Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Apart from that, I'd probably have stuff I should be doing but eh, I can make it work.

Eddicus
2015-05-08, 04:11 PM
User on Vassal is Edgar

GMT+1

HQ
Commander

TROOPS
XV8 Crisis Team
Bonding Knife Ritual
3x Crisis Shas'ui
6x Missile Pod

XV8 Crisis Team
Bonding Knife Ritual
1X Crisis Shas'ui

FAST ATTACK
Drone Squadron
4x Gun Drone

HEAVY SUPPORT
Sniper Drone Team
3x Firesight Marksman, 3x Sniper Drone

Ionbound
2015-05-08, 06:48 PM
Username: Firedaemon33
GMT: GMT -5 (Eastern Standard Time)
Army List: None yet, but I'm going to make an Adepta Militaria or whatever the IG is called nowadays with SoB allies/support.

LordDavenport
2015-05-08, 09:29 PM
Things people are doing: Posting lists in thread. Good.
Things people are not doing: PMing me lists/data. Bad.
Things I want to be doing: Sending out the Drop Box password so people can make maps. Important.

Cheesegear
2015-05-08, 10:07 PM
Vassal User Name
Army
GMT

Jormengand
Jormengand
Iron Hands (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226173&postcount=105)
+1

Eddicus
Edgar
Farsight Enclaves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226544&postcount=107)
+1

Tehnar
Ghremdal
Harlequins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19233087&postcount=117")
+1

Lionheart
Lionheartedboy
Space Wolves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19223993&postcount=94)

Volthawk
Volthawk
Skitarii (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226426&postcount=106)

Dragonus45
???
Farsight Enclaves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226053&postcount=104)

firedaemon33
Firedaemon33
???

Manticoran
Manticoran
Skitarii (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19231853&postcount=115)

Tychris1
Tychris
Khorne Daemonkin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19224986&postcount=103)

Eldan
???
Harlequins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19230491&postcount=112)
???

Grim Portent
2015-05-09, 12:13 PM
Does Vassal have sprites for forge world models?

I'm tempted to try a Renegades and Heretics army out before settling on building it for real.

Eldan
2015-05-09, 03:21 PM
Okay.

500 points: Harlequin.

Death Jester

Shadowseer

Troupe
-1 neurodisruptor
-2 fusion pistols
-5 harlequin's embrace
-Starweaver
-Troupe master (power sword)

2 Skyweaver
-2 Zephyr glaives

For 1500, would it be fine if I went Eldar/Harlequin? Still mainly harlequin, but some Eldar for fire support. No jetbikes or wraithknights, I promise.

Manticoran
2015-05-09, 09:20 PM
Alright, here's my list. Imperial Guard Astra Militarum Nothing away!

THIS LIST WAS NOT APPARENTLY A THING I COULD DO NEVERMIND

I'm EST, and Manticoran.

Cheesegear
2015-05-09, 09:54 PM
Alright, here's my list. Imperial Guard Astra Militarum away!

Veterans can't take Hot-Shot Volley Guns.

Manticoran
2015-05-09, 10:17 PM
Ohhhhhh. That explains why I didn't see anyone recommending that people take them. Herpaderpa snerp.

EDIT: Editing original post now. And below is my new list. Behold the glory of the Void Dragon Dragon of Mars Machine God!

Skitarii Vanguard(10) w/ 3 Arc Rifles
Skitarii Vanguard(10) w/ 3 Arc Rifles
Skitarii Rangers(8)
Skitarii Vanguard(8) w/ 2 Arc Rifles

Lionheart
2015-05-10, 05:20 AM
Vassal User Name
Army
GMT

Jormengand
Jormengand
Iron Hands (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226173&postcount=105)
+1

Eddicus
Edgar
Farsight Enclaves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226544&postcount=107)
+1

Volthawk
Volthawk
Skitarii (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226426&postcount=106)

Dragonus45
???
Farsight Enclaves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19226053&postcount=104)

firedaemon33
Firedaemon33
???

Manticoran
Manticoran
Skitarii (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19231853&postcount=115)

Tychris1
Tychris
Khorne Daemonkin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19224986&postcount=103)

Tehnar
Ghremdal
Harlequins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19223816&postcount=91)
???

Eldan
???
Harlequins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19230491&postcount=112)
???

Missed one:

Vassal Username: Lionheartedboy

Time Zone - GMT +/- 0:00

Grey Hunters (x5)
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

Grey Hunters (x5)
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

Tehnar
2015-05-10, 09:45 AM
Changed list a bit (equipment choices), PMed EO and reposting here.

Vassal name: Ghremdal
Army: Harlequins
Time zone: GMT +1

Death Jester
Solitaire
Shadowseer

Harlequin troop:
Shadowseer
Death Jester

Manticoran
2015-05-10, 02:01 PM
...My mind is hard to make up, ok??

DARK ELDAR:
Haemonculus w/ Liquifier
10 Kabalite Warriors w/ Raider w/ Dark Lance & Splinter Racks
Wrack(5) w/ Raider

Cheesegear
2015-05-10, 08:13 PM
...My mind is hard to make up, ok?

Maybe?

For right now, I'm just trying to make a table, gauging what timezones people are at, and what armies people generally want to be playing. For me, personally, it's just annoying having to re-link to a new post every time you change your mind. But, that's my problem, not yours. Right now, I'm only setting up a table template that I can add players to easily and at will (and someone else can copy-paste on the first page). It's also handy to know that there's double Skitarii, double Farsight and double Harlequins. With such a limited pool of players, that's, well, annoying. But, as someone who regularly plays 40K, I also know that the smaller Codecies (i.e; Harlequins and Skitarii) are actually fairly good at low points levels. So either we have players who know what they're doing, or everyone just happens to like the same things. I recognize a bunch of people from the actual 40K thread, so I think it's more the latter, than the former.
But, for a first run-through, I wouldn't really care that much unless people were building identical lists - which they aren't, which is good.

The only real problem is whether or not LordDavenport wants to run this event tournament-style. Where your list, stays your list. And you need to PM your list so that he can put it into some kind of un-editable template. But that's up to him. In which case, no, it's not okay and you do need to make your mind up.

As of now, including LordDavenport, we have 11 Players. Byes suck. So, maybe I can put my hat into the ring. But, fair warning, as I predicted, I'm at GMT+10, which means my afternoons and evenings are everyone else's mornings, and vice-versa. Which leaves a very limited window for me to play in.

Chaos Marines, 500PD
(W) Chaos Lord - 185 Points
Melta Bombs, Sigil of Corruption, Gift, Juggernaut
Axe of Blind Fury, Mark of Khorne

Chaos Cultists (x16) - 74 Points
Chaos Cultists (x10); Mark of Nurgle - 70 Points

Heldrake; Baleflamer - 170 Points

Total: 499 Points

Codex MT, 500PD
MT Command Squad; Medi-Pack, x3 Plasma Guns - 145 Points
- (W) Tempestor Prime

MT Scions (x7); x2 Hot-Shot Volley Guns - 114 Points
MT Scions (x6); x2 Hot-Shot Volley Guns - 102 Points

Valkyrie; Lascannon - 135 Points

Total: 496 Points

The Chaos list is high-risk, high-reward. The MTs are more consistent.

Drasius
2015-05-10, 08:51 PM
Your juggerlord is 10 points over CG, reward yourself with 2 additional cultists or a flamer on each squad.

LordDavenport
2015-05-10, 10:27 PM
Where your list, stays your list. And you need to PM your list so that he can put it into some kind of un-editable template. But that's up to him. In which case, no, it's not okay and you do need to make your mind up.

SO, Sorta this. So people don't get accused of list tailoring after pairings are declared, I need people to PM me their armies. That one PMed me a replacment list, which is fine until actual pairings are declared. The issue is, as of posting their are 3 people that have actually PMed me lists. Which I need to know who is still paying attention, and to PM back the drop box link. So we can get some maps made, and I can make the pairings.

PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE NOT PMed ME YOUR ARMY LIST AND WANT TO PLAY PM ME YOUR @$%$# LIST. Thank you.

Manticoran
2015-05-10, 11:03 PM
I might suck at making my mind up, but I'm good at following procedures and am certainly not going to change my mind once teams are locked in, that'd be rude. :)

Cheesegear
2015-05-10, 11:25 PM
SO, Sorta this. So people don't get accused of list tailoring after pairings are declared

Ultimately, in my table, at least. The links in said table are the links to the most current army list. If someone tries to Edit the post that that link, links to. The Edit Time Stamp is clearly shown, and anyone who tries to cheat that way, will be caught.

The issue is, as of posting their are 3 people that have actually PMed me lists.

Like I said, my table links to most recent army lists. Anyone who tries to edit those posts will be caught. Alternatively, you can copy-paste those army lists in those links, and decide that any army list in those links by [Time] is their army list. My table is designed to help you. I didn't just make it for fun.

DO: Use your OP powers. Change the title of the thread. Update the OP. Put in an [Attn:] bracket that lets people know that list deadline is [Date]. Copy-Paste my table into the OP.

DON'T: Use all-caps, large letters and swear words.

Requizen
2015-05-11, 12:43 AM
Sorry, so I'm just a little unclear on the exact rules. Is it just any legal 500 point list or are we limiting to one detachment or anything like that?

Cheesegear
2015-05-11, 12:47 AM
Sorry, so I'm just a little unclear on the exact rules. Is it just any legal 500 point list or are we limiting to one detachment or anything like that?

500 Points.
1 Detachment only. Any type - except a CAD. You may use Formations.
You may use a '500 Point Detachment'.
0-1 Flier or FMC, Formations that require more than one Flier/FMC may not be used.
No Lords of War. Formations that require a Lord of War may not be used.

500 Point Detachment
FOC: Identical to an Allied Detachment
Ideal Mission Commander
Objective Secured (Troops only)

Dragonus45
2015-05-11, 02:01 AM
Vassal User Name
Army
GMT

Jormengand
Jormengand
+1

Eddicus
Edgar
+1

Tehnar
Ghremdal
Harlequins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19233087&postcount=117")
+1

Lionheart
Lionheartedboy
Space Wolves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19223993&postcount=94)

Volthawk
Volthawk

Dragonus45
???

firedaemon33
Firedaemon33
???

Manticoran
Manticoran

Tychris1
Tychris

Eldan
???
???

My apologies I left my name out of the post proper, its Dragonus45 same as on here.

Also I have run into a bit of a snag, it seems that vassal does not have the forge world stuff so no Tetras for me. Can anyone else think of another model in the system with the same enough silhouette to use? Barring that I'll need to change my list and I wanted to post that that was a thing happening for the sake of transparency.

Jormengand
2015-05-11, 06:28 AM
There is always the easy way of making sure no-one cheats and edits their list:

Master of the Forge (W; Ideal commander)
Scout snipers
Stormtalon Gunship
Land Raider RedeemerHQ
Commander

TROOPS
XV8 Crisis Team
Bonding Knife Ritual
3x Crisis Shas'ui
6x Missile Pod

XV8 Crisis Team
Bonding Knife Ritual
1X Crisis Shas'ui

FAST ATTACK
Drone Squadron
4x Gun Drone

HEAVY SUPPORT
Sniper Drone Team
3x Firesight Marksman, 3x Sniper DroneFormation: Path of Heroes (265)
Death Jester
Solitaire
Shadowseer

Harlequin troop:
Shadowseer
Death JesterRune Priest; Mastery Level 2, combi-plasma

Grey Hunters (x5)
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

Grey Hunters (x5)
+ Rhino, Storm bolter

Long Fangs (x5); x2 Missile Launchers, x2 LascannonsSkitarii Maniple:
Skitarii Rangers
- +5 Rangers
- 3 arc rifles
Skitarii Vanguard
- 2 arc rifles
Skitarii Vanguard
- 2 arc rifles
Ironstrider Ballistarii
Ironstrider Ballistarii
Ironstrider Ballistarii
++ Tau Empire: Supplement - Farsight Enclaves (2013) (Allied Detachment) (498pts) ++

+ HQ (115pts) +

Commander (115pts) [2x Burst Cannon, Counterfire Defence System, Target lock]

+ Troops (159pts) +

XV8 Crisis Team (159pts)
····[b]Crisis Shas'ui [Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle]

+ Fast Attack (82pts) +

Tetra Scout Speeder Team [FW] (82pts)
····Tetra [Blacksun Filter, Sensor spines]
····Tetra

[b]+ Heavy Support (142pts) +

XV88 Broadside Team (142pts)
····[b]Broadside Shas'ui [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
····Broadside Shas'ui [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]DARK ELDAR:
Haemonculus w/ Liquifier
Wrack(5) w/ RaiderSlaughter Cult:

Kor'Lath the Axe of Ruin
Melta Bombs

Bloodreaper

Bloodreaper

5 Possessed: 150Death Jester

Shadowseer

Troupe
-1 neurodisruptor
-2 fusion pistols
-5 harlequin's embrace
-Starweaver
-Troupe master (power sword)

2 Skyweaver
-2 Zephyr glaivesCodex MT, 500PD
MT Command Squad; Medi-Pack, x3 Plasma Guns - 145 Points
- (W) Tempestor Prime

MT Scions (x7); x2 Hot-Shot Volley Guns - 114 Points
MT Scions (x6); x2 Hot-Shot Volley Guns - 102 Points

Valkyrie; Lascannon - 135 Points

Total: 496 Points

If someone could copy Jormengand: Iron Hands into their own post, that would be grand. On the subject of Tetras, would not piranhas with THIS IS ACTUALLY A TETRA written on them work?

EDIT: Reason for editing is to put Manticoran's latest list and CG's list in. Hope no-one thinks I'm cheating given this was literally a few minutes after posting it. :smalltongue:

Voidhawk
2015-05-11, 09:39 AM
Still trying to find time to construct my list and/or map. Since two people are already Farsight Enclaves, I'll put the Tau plans to one side and go Necrons.

Vassal name: Voidhawk
Army: Necrons
Time zone: GMT +1
List: TBD

Dragonus45
2015-05-11, 11:23 AM
If someone could copy Jormengand: Iron Hands into their own post, that would be grand. On the subject of Tetras, would not piranhas with THIS IS ACTUALLY A TETRA written on them work?

Perhaps, I just about literally have to donate plasma to afford my Tau as it is so I have never actually used a forge world model. My main concern is them being the right size and silhouette for fairness sake.

Eddicus
2015-05-11, 01:09 PM
There's tetra's in Vassal, dont worry. And im not guessing, I know :)

Dragonus45
2015-05-11, 03:03 PM
There's tetra's in Vassal, dont worry. And im not guessing, I know :)

There are, I had it open earlier when I was putting the army in and they weren't there. Is an extra pack or something?

Eddicus
2015-05-11, 03:16 PM
There are, I had it open earlier when I was putting the army in and they weren't there. Is an extra pack or something?

You might need a newer version. Dont use farsight and they should be under fast attack

Dragonus45
2015-05-11, 04:44 PM
Huh I wonder why they aren't under the farsight tab.

Volthawk
2015-05-11, 04:53 PM

That's always been a thing for Vassal - the variants tend to lack all the options. A bigger example (unless they changed it between editions) would be Kreigers, who lack their infantry.r

Cheesegear
2015-05-11, 07:39 PM

Because it's an issue of work. Whoever makes the extensions has to design the sprites. If it were me, I'd want to design as few sprites as possible. Which is doable, since whoever made the Tau extension made Tetra sprites, so why would whoever did the Farsight sprites want to go back in and do Tetras again when they already exist? All it takes is a little extra effort on the user-end to find them.

Eddicus
2015-05-12, 03:31 AM

The Farsight tab in Vassal is from 5th edition and just a "theme". Several other armies have different option for colour schemes. Obviously it would be cool to be able to play in Farsight red, but you lack several options (most notably the Riptide), also Broadsides are on the wrong (5th ed) bases. So you just can't at the moment. I'm afraid it's either sand coloured tau or write to people behind vassal and ask if you can make the extension ;)

Manticoran
2015-05-12, 07:16 AM
I think I'm going to have to drop from this actually, sorry guys. My work schedule has become a lot more busy, and I don't think I'm going to have the time to consistently play games. That said, I'd be up for pick-me-up games on Vassal, best way to contact me is probably here on the forum PMs or through Steam.

Dragonus45
2015-05-13, 01:07 AM
So I want to get into at least one more practice game before this starts for real. The first one I did just showed me how out of touch I am with the rules. Anyone up for one some time this week?

Eddicus
2015-05-13, 02:09 AM
So I want to get into at least one more practice game before this starts for real. The first one I did just showed me how out of touch I am with the rules. Anyone up for one some time this week?

I wouldn't mind a game myself. I'll PM you my contact info.

Jormengand
2015-05-13, 05:46 PM
I'm on study leave so I can do it most of the time. Mebbe tomorrow?

Cheesegear
2015-05-13, 09:46 PM
Alrighty then, everyone is in roughly the same timezones (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19227868&postcount=110). It really shouldn't be that difficult to work out a time. Jormengand has made it so no-one can cheat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19237013&postcount=127). So, there's really no reason that this shouldn't be starting like, now. Maybe we could start it next week? Doesn't matter. Everyone can post whether they want to start this weekend, or next. But the point of this post is to actually start making something happen.

Round 1, begins now. End date can be 31st of May. If you want to start games, now. Then do so. If you want to wait a week, that's cool too. Either way, you have at least two weeks to play a game with anyone. Round 1, you can be paired with anyone. So, for the sake of simplicity, and me not holding your hand, you can choose your own opponents for Round 1. I don't care. Just, somebody. Start. Playing. Games.

First round is as follows;
Dawn of War Deployment, Emperor's Will. Each time you start a new map, there are Counters on the side. Those green flag-looking things, those are Objectives.
4x4' Board. 500 Points.

Your map needs;
Ruins 13. Its walls block LoS to and from Infantry models. Note that its walls do not go all the way 'round. Also, Rubble.
x2 Objects. Wrecked Silos. Area Terrain. Rubble. The individual silos block LoS.
x2 Ruins 22. They are Barricades.
x2 Trees. Area Terrain 21. 5+ Cover Save.

If something blocks LoS to Infantry models only, all other models get a Cover Save.
Fliers and FMCs don't get Cover Saves from the ground. That's why they have Jink.

It should look a lot like this...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/Cheesegear/Round%201_zpsxei8tqbl.png

Terrain:Board ratio check.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/Cheesegear/Phase%201_zpsnkwpyevb.png

Go play games now.

Dragonus45
2015-05-14, 12:38 AM
Eddicus want to just make that practice game the official one since we haven't played yet??

Lionheart
2015-05-14, 02:33 AM
I should be able to have a game any time in the next 12 hours or so.

I know the 40k rules quite well, but am new to Vassal, so might be slow going to begin with.

PM me if you're up for a game!

Volthawk
2015-05-14, 04:37 AM
I should be able to get a game in over the next few days (in a bit of a lull right now).

Jormengand
2015-05-14, 05:52 AM
Jormengand has made it so no-one can cheat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19237013&postcount=127).

Someone still needs to copy Jormengand - Iron Hands into their own post so that I can't cheat.

I can play anyone pretty much any time over the next few weeks except when I actually, literally have an exam that time or I'm asleep. Someone, anyone, play me.

Tychris1
2015-05-14, 06:11 AM
I could play a game sometime this week.

Dragonus45
2015-05-18, 04:34 PM
Me and Eddicus just played. I'll have the full report up one I figure out a good way to post the pictures. I won

LordDavenport
2015-05-18, 08:33 PM
was waiting on the drop box getting some maps, and post finals utter lack of will to do anything.

Match ups if people want to adheer to them it would be nice. Only really relevant one was that I randomized the GMT -5s. Weird that all the US/Canadian players are on the east coast.

Jormengand VS Tehnar
Eddicus VS Eldan
Lionheart VS Volthawk
Dragonus45 VS Tychris1

Firedeamon was not added due to not having an army list. Eldan got tossed in with Cheese due to Eldan not listing a timezone anywhere. Though due to the fact he seems to be out of Europe I do not predict this working out well. and then I mess up the copy and paste and delete Jormengand. Matchups now should be right. Sorry Cheese, no one was in the right times zone and we had clean pairings without you.

Cheesegear
2015-05-18, 09:15 PM
Sorry Cheese, no one was in the right times zone and we had clean pairings without you.

Except for the fact that Manticoran dropped out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19242164&postcount=137).

LordDavenport
2015-05-18, 09:29 PM
Did I really miss that? I am on a roll today. If you want cheese that leaves us as a match up, or I am fine sitting out a cycle. I am GMT -5.

Dragonus45
2015-05-18, 10:02 PM
was waiting on the drop box getting some maps, and post finals utter lack of will to do anything.

Match ups if people want to adheer to them it would be nice. Only really relevant one was that I randomized the GMT -5s. Weird that all the US/Canadian players are on the east coast.

Jormengand VS Tehnar
Eddicus VS Eldan
Lionheart VS Volthawk
Dragonus45 VS Tychris1

Firedeamon was not added due to not having an army list. Eldan got tossed in with Cheese due to Eldan not listing a timezone anywhere. Though due to the fact he seems to be out of Europe I do not predict this working out well. and then I mess up the copy and paste and delete Jormengand. Matchups now should be right. Sorry Cheese, no one was in the right times zone and we had clean pairings without you.

I thought we were going to just pair with anyone for the first round? Me and Eddicus just did a game earlier today?

Jormengand
2015-05-19, 08:28 AM
All right, Tehnar, let's get this show on the road! You gonna burn!

Eddicus
2015-05-20, 02:15 AM
I can't message you Eldan, cause your box is full. Gimme a PM and we'll set a date of sorts :)

Tehnar
2015-05-20, 02:33 AM
All right, Tehnar, let's get this show on the road! You gonna burn!

The clowns remind you that they are the kind that just want to see the world burn.

Regarding timing, I can probably find some time this weekend, in the evening hours. Will PM you when I know more.

Eldan
2015-05-20, 07:25 AM
Sorry about that.

Okay. I'm timezone GMT +1 or +2 (it changes depending on time of year, I'm probably +1 currently, I'll go check. It's central Europe, Berlin/Rome, etc.)

This week, I have either later today (got the afternoon off unexpectedly), all day Friday, probably Sunday or any evening, but only a handful hours at a time.

Jormengand
2015-05-20, 07:43 AM
The clowns remind you that they are the kind that just want to see the world burn.

Land. Raider. Redeemer. Bring it, harlies.

Eldan
2015-05-20, 08:08 AM
Fusion pistols. We are bringing it.

Lionheart
2015-05-22, 04:47 AM
Hey Volthawk, you get my PM?

Dragonus45
2015-05-24, 01:17 AM
So me and Tychris played, I won. He has the pictures for this one but was having trouble hosting them. Honestly I'm starting to feel the issue of the low point values more and more though.

LordDavenport
2015-05-24, 06:02 PM
That is real, shall we do 1500 or 1850 for the next round? They tend to take longer, so I figured it would be easier to line up 500 point games.

Cheesegear
2015-05-24, 11:30 PM
They tend to take longer, so I figured it would be easier to line up 500 point games.

I was under the impression that a whole bunch of the thread had never even played before - let alone on Vassal - and that's why we started small?

Eddicus
2015-05-25, 04:38 AM
I was under the impression that a whole bunch of the thread had never even played before - let alone on Vassal - and that's why we started small?

I think so. But 500 points give a rather warped image of the game. I actually didnt do a single W or H point damage in the practice game I had with Dragonus. Lists and dice have a rather big effect at 500 points. Not had any reply from my match up either. Perhaps rebooting this idea, and making sure everyone is actively involved while starting at 1000 points is an idea.

When you're new making a list for a 1000 points might seem pretty daunting. But it's not as discouraging as being tabled in 2 turns at 500 points.

Tehnar
2015-05-25, 06:58 AM
It gets a little weird with the matchups because its hard to come up with solutions to everything your opponent can come up with. Still I am looking forward to my game, if I can find time.

Jormengand
2015-05-25, 07:36 AM
Well, I'm ready near-enough when you are.

Artanis
2015-05-25, 02:41 PM

I think so. But 500 points give a rather warped image of the game. I actually didnt do a single W or H point damage in the practice game I had with Dragonus. Lists and dice have a rather big effect at 500 points. Not had any reply from my match up either. Perhaps rebooting this idea, and making sure everyone is actively involved while starting at 1000 points is an idea.

When you're new making a list for a 1000 points might seem pretty daunting. But it's not as discouraging as being tabled in 2 turns at 500 points.

If I may make a suggestion...

Come up with a couple of balanced "starter lists" for the ultra-new players to use in a couple games for learning how to play. They don't even have to be official league games or anything, just a "here's what dice to roll when" primers. Once they know the basics of how the game works, then they can scale it up and try making their own lists.

Hell, come to think of it, Cheesegear may have already posted lists like this earlier. I know he posted some suggestions for low-point rules, but don't recall if he also included outright starter lists to use when he did so.

LordDavenport
2015-05-25, 05:50 PM

There were many reasons. Another is that I have played more solitaire games of 40k then I like to mention in polite company, and 500 points is what I usually play around with.

Cheesegear
2015-05-26, 07:44 PM
I know he posted some suggestions for low-point rules

And they kind of sucked. Here's some that are professionally thought out (people pay money to go to these events).

Adepticon Rules
400 Points.
You must use one of the following:

0-1 Modified CAD: 1-6 Troops, 0-1 every other slot. Troops have Objective Secured.
0-1 Any one unique Codex Detachment (Harlequins, Skitarii, etc.)

Not Allowed
Unique units, Imperial Knights, Allied Detachments, Data Slates, Fortifications, Lords of War and anything from Forge World (models may be used, but not rules).

Rules Modifications
Any Vehicle AV greater than 12 is reduced to 12. Any Vehicle with more than 3HPs is reduced to 3HPs.
Except for Troops and Swarm units, models with more than 2 Wounds are reduced to 2 Wounds.

Psykers: Psykers may only generate WC1 Powers. If you generate a Power greater than WC1, re-roll.

Fliers: Starting from Turn 1, Fliers may make Reserve rolls. However, the model arrives on the board automatically at the beginning of the next turn, rather than the current turn. Fliers automatically arrive on Turn 5.

I'm not sure what the purpose of changing Fliers Reserves is, but, Adepticon TOs know more about 'fairness' than I ever will.

Jormengand
2015-05-27, 05:47 PM
Welp, I won but only just. Sollie flunked a lot of his saves early on, and nothing but him and a troupemaster with haywires (one of which he rolled a one on) could harm my raider, which killed them both by T3, earning a concession.

EDIT: Also, my Vassal name is Trianna, rather than some variation on Jormengand as I'd thought.

Tehnar
2015-05-28, 02:57 AM
Just to chime in my part:

I had fun and it was a close game that depended on a couple of dice rolls. First time playing with Cast of Players formation though. I thought it would be slow, but Crusader really speeds things up. Also first charge roll was triple 1's. Thank you fleet.

I also should not have been as aggressive, but I really wanted to pop that Land Raider. Got him down to 1 HP though so its something. Will put up some pics when I get home. GG Jormengand.

I think we need to move points up for the next round, to a minimum of 1000. I had the tools to deal with my opponents army, but what I saw from a couple of lists others did not. Think more points will help in that regard.

Also to speed things up we need more MAPS.