PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch Drive on Fox?

Sereno
2007-04-17, 07:26 AM
I think this show is off to a good start ... I like the mix of characters and the premise is interesting.

I like Nathan Fillion ... a lot of his delivery is very much like his portrayal Cpt. Mal from Serenity; kind of quirky and deadpan at the same time. The two hispanic brothers in the lowrider are kinda cool, too. I also found myself liking the Dad & daughter team. I was glad that the "mom" didn't kill the obnoxious blondie, too. :)

The action sequences have been done really well and I'm really liking the "satellite imagery" zoom ins and zoom outs.

I hope it gets a chance....

JadedDM
2007-04-17, 07:55 AM
I like it, too. I caught the first three episodes. It's a good show. Some real nice eye candy (read: hawt girlz), good action, and an interesting story.

A good show on FOX.

Therefore, I give it 4 weeks, tops. Maybe less if they decide to show the rest of the episodes out of order. :smallwink:

Did anyone recognize the cop who is investigating Alex's wife disappearance? He played Early in Firefly. "Am I a lion? Well, I do have a mighty roar."

Sereno
2007-04-17, 12:30 PM
Therefore, I give it 4 weeks, tops. Maybe less if they decide to show the rest of the episodes out of order. :smallwink:

Let's just hope not ... it seems like they're playing this one in order, though... :)

Did anyone recognize the cop who is investigating Alex's wife disappearance? He played Early in Firefly. "Am I a lion? Well, I do have a mighty roar."

I saw him, Richard Brooks ... but, I always remember him as Assistant DA Paul Robinette from Law & Order....

I wonder how many folks who also had a part in Firefly will be part of this; Nathan and Richard, so far. Tim Minear has credits for 'Created By' as well as Exec. Producer...

Sereno
2007-04-17, 12:31 PM
Stupid double-post ... nothing to see here....

RTGoodman
2007-04-17, 12:37 PM
A good show on FOX.

I said the same thing when I started watching it.

I'm still trying to decide if I really like it or not, though. I saw the two-hour premiere on Sunday night, but I think I missed it last night (curse you, night classes!). Of course, you can't go wrong with Nathan Fillion and/or Tim Minear!

JadedDM
2007-04-17, 12:51 PM
You know what the detective's name was? Detective Ehrle. Heh.

Lilly
2007-04-19, 01:45 AM
Well that cements it. I gotta watch this show. *sets TeeVo to record it due to wonky work schedule*

Toastkart
2007-04-19, 05:50 AM
It's definitely a good show so far. There's always a potential for it to be screwed up somehow. Well worth watching.

slevin
2007-04-20, 03:31 AM
This is a great show!!! I love it. i just hopw that they dont screw it up like CBS did with lost. Too many individual back stories to get caught up in detracted form the main story line and it got boring.

and that challenger totally rocks!

Sereno
2007-04-20, 07:56 AM
and that challenger totally rocks!

Yes. Yes, it does!

Doesn't a Dodge Challenger factor into a famous cult movie?

I seem to remember something from an issue of Car and Driver -- ahh, thanks Wikipedia! -- it was Vanishing Point (1970); (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_Point_%28movie%29) apparently, one of the first movies to feature a rock music soundtrack.

I've never seen it, but it sounds kinda cool....

Muz
2007-04-20, 10:31 AM
I wonder how many folks who also had a part in Firefly will be part of this; Nathan and Richard, so far. Tim Minear has credits for 'Created By' as well as Exec. Producer...

Well, Fillon's character's wife seems to be played by Fred from Angel, too.

JadedDM
2007-04-20, 11:23 AM
Correct. Amy Acker.

Also, the waitress at the diner who told the crazy mother she had to kill the hot blonde girl (yeah, I'm great with names here, huh?) also played Dennis' mother, the one who killed him and made him a ghost (Dennis haunted Cordelia's apartment in Angel, for those who don't remember).

And the man who posed as the crazy mother's husband to prevent her from being jailed had a bit role in Angel, as well (although I can't remember where exactly).

slevin
2007-04-20, 01:13 PM
hmm what a tangled web we weave.

have any of you guys been on fox's website for drive? they have a really bad flash game, but they do have all the main character profiles and backgrounds on there. plus all their names and episode recaps. i guess FOX is investing heavily in this show. i just hope that they dont move it to one of their cable stations. we dont get cable out in the sticks where i live.

Sereno
2007-04-27, 12:17 PM
Sonofa.... Fox Canceled It Already!!!

Jack Squat
2007-04-27, 12:25 PM
Sonofa.... Fox Canceled It Already!!!

wait...what?!

Where's it say that?

WampaX
2007-04-27, 01:07 PM
wait...what?!

Where's it say that?

"Final 2 episodes to air this summer"
on Fox's Drive front page do seem to indicate a non-12 episode show. Plus, lots of rumblings on IMDb and other message boards make it appear that the series is canned.

Article in Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117963779.html?categoryid=14&cs=1)

Jack Squat
2007-04-27, 01:23 PM
This is an outrage! :smallfurious:

That's it. I'm boycotting Fox; any who wish to join me are free to do so.

WampaX
2007-04-27, 02:26 PM
This is an outrage! :smallfurious:

That's it. I'm boycotting Fox; any who wish to join me are free to do so.

Its Fox . . . ergo, unsurprising.
Annoying . . . but not surprising.
:smallannoyed:

Jack Squat
2007-04-27, 02:42 PM
oh, I had a feeling they'd cancel it. I even jokingly bet someone that it'd be gone after 4 episodes.

I just can't believe I was actually right. first Firefly and now this; I think Nathan Fillion should stop doing shows that Fox is showing.

Darth Mario
2007-04-27, 02:49 PM
Eh, I saw the pilot. I thought Nathan Fillion was great, but the plot and diologue for all the other charecters was beyond cheezy. I forced myself to watch the whole pilot, in case it got good, but I can see why Fox canceled it.

Note that I am a Firefly fan who hates Fox for many, many reasons. (Politics, cancelling Firefly and having the worst sports commentators in history.)

JadedDM
2007-04-27, 05:38 PM

Crap! I overshot it!

Scubasteve0209
2007-05-06, 10:57 AM
If ratings are any indication, a fair number of you didn't hear about Drive. No matter really, it's cancelled now after four episodes. In it's short stint on Fox it gathered about 5.6 million viewers, which was about a third of what the brass were hoping for this fledgling midseason start-up.

Here's why you should have watched Drive:

1. Nathan Fillion. You might remember him as captail Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly/Serenity, Bill Pardy from slither, John Donnelly from two guys a girl and a pizza place (admittedly though, he was neither of the two guys, or the girl), as well as smaller parts in notable series such as the X-Files, Buffy, the Outer Limits, and Saving Private Ryan (he was the first, wrong, "Private Ryan"). He's a great actor from a lot a fun series and from all reports I've read, a great guy. It's just a pity his two latest shows flopped.

2. Tim Minear. He's worked closely with Joss Whedon and is a Veteran writer/producer of such great series as Angel, as well as Firefly and Wonder Falls, both series were brilliant, and both had their bright spark of hope cut short by Fox.

3. The show itself. Contestants compete in an illegal cross-country race for 32 million dollars or other "prizes," kind of like a season-long "Cannonball Run." Okay, it's not long on the laughs, but the character development was the key to the show, and there were some great characters. Each had their own reasons for competing. The twists weren't as dramatic as say, Heroes, but it was enough to make you eager for the next week. The cast itself was also impressive with a long list of familiar faces that you recognize, but you're not sure from where, like the doting/dying father that I only just now recognized as Dr. Conners from the Spiderman movies.

4. Wonder Falls & Firefly. Two shows produced by Minear for fox that were cut tragically short. Maybe not the best reason to watch, but Minear deserves at least one show to make it a full season.

5. "Can't stop the World" by Gavin rossdale. Sure, it's just the opener for the show, but the tune matched perfectly with the mood of the show and incorperated wellwith the great visual effect. You can listen to it now at http://www.fox.com/drive/ , or hell, you can watch the first episode if you want.

Either way, If you haven't watched any of the show, you can still catch the first one on the aforementioned website.

Dib
2007-05-06, 11:28 AM
oh well... I didn't actually watch it... but im in England and dont get Fox so you cant blame me... anyway, maybe it can be a movie... Serenity was awesome!

Midnight Son
2007-05-06, 11:58 AM
I've stopped watching any awesome shows on Fox because I know they're just going to cancel them prematurely anyway. This way, I don't get invested and then pissed off again.

Fox sucks!

Catch
2007-05-06, 12:27 PM
Fox cancels everything. Except for reality shows, of course. That way, they don't have to pay actors and screenwriters.

JadedDM
2007-05-06, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I watched it and liked it. I predicted they would cancel it in four weeks, but it only took them two. But FOX is notorious for that: Firefly, Wonderfalls, Tru Calling...they never give a show a chance to find its audience.

What gets me is that there are two episodes left they have not aired yet of Drive. Instead of airing them, they show House reruns. So apparently it's not like they have something better to show in place of Drive (at least, not yet). Why the hell don't they just air those last two episodes? Would reruns of House really bring in more ratings? (Especially since they are not promoting said reruns, at all?)

Sundog
2007-05-06, 04:03 PM
Don't blame me. It sounds like something I would've watched. Unfortunately, we here in Oz don't get a say in what gets cancelled. Even when we're making it. Even when one of OUR networks is co-producing it...

(still :smallfurious: about Farscape...DAMN YOU CHANNEL NINE!

Jack Squat
2007-05-06, 06:51 PM
What gets me is that there are two episodes left they have not aired yet of Drive. Instead of airing them, they show House reruns. So apparently it's not like they have something better to show in place of Drive (at least, not yet). Why the hell don't they just air those last two episodes? Would reruns of House really bring in more ratings? (Especially since they are not promoting said reruns, at all?)

They're going to show them in the summer. They just want to watch us squirm.

Deckmaster
2007-05-06, 07:23 PM
I was watching, and am very upset. I've been looking for something good to watch before Heroes comes on, and this was perfect. What the hell else could people be watching that's better?

Holy_Knight
2007-05-06, 09:46 PM
Wait, they canceled it?! :smallfurious:

I guess I should have known, given that it's FOX, but come on... only FOUR EPISODES IN?!

Why do they have to cancel everything good? You'd think they could get their heads out of their asses after having to eat crow over Family Guy... :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

(and a few more for good measure)

:smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

EDIT: Didn't notice this the first time through:

(still :smallfurious: about Farscape...DAMN YOU CHANNEL NINE!

A-FRELLING-MEN, BROTHER!!!! Farscape was the best show on Television. Someday those TV execs will pay. Oh yes, they'll all pay!!!!

TheBoneSplitter
2007-05-06, 09:49 PM
Fox sucks!

:smallbiggrin:

I'm thankful that the only cartoon I watch hasn't gotten cancelled yet cause it's a classic, no matter what season, no matter what episode (The Simpsons). Reality shows, soap operas and anything heavily controversial (I guess 24 and House count) I'm certainly never going to be into, and people'll just eat it up.

[/post, only to stop self from ranting off topic]

Sereno
2007-05-07, 08:19 AM
I've stopped watching any awesome shows on Fox because I know they're just going to cancel them prematurely anyway. This way, I don't get invested and then pissed off again.

That's why my wife refused to get "invested" in the show. :)

She said, "The pilot was pretty good, but they're just going to cancel it, just like 'Reunion,' and then I'll be even more disappointed."

I should have listened to her. :smalleek: :smallfurious:

Marek
2007-05-07, 06:51 PM
I'm guessing that this show just had really, REALLY bad timing. Two words:

American Idol

I've seen many a good show premiere around the time this heinous and truly annoying show, and a lot of times shows die, because people don't even care about other ones while this thrice-damned show from the pits of hades aired. Don't blame fox, blame their messed up schedule. Wait, never-mind, they set the damn schedule. BLAME AWAY!!!

Andiamo
2007-05-12, 06:41 PM
That's true. That damn schedule is what killed Futurama. Sunday at 6? What the hell?!

ray53208
2007-05-12, 09:52 PM
what can i say about fox that hasnt already been said in this thread? i hate fox. they cancel good shows and keep heinous ones. i had been avoiding anything on fox, and when i finally cave in and watch a fox tv show that has some potential, they cancel it... AGAIN.

i still watch the shield and rescue me. its something that tugs at my conscious. i greatly disagree with fox punditry.