PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next peach: Ranger Archetype - Arcane Archer

Beige
2015-04-29, 01:33 PM
hey folks, something I wipped up for a friend round here to get them to try DnD 5e. it's (yet another) take at the classic prestige class, the arcane archer, as an archetype

Arcane Archer

Arcane focus – An Arcane Archer draws on more than just the power of nature for her magical abilities, supplementing it with arcane magic gleaned for natural aptitude, the touch of the fey or through powers woken in them from close contact with magical beasts.
Cantrips: at 3rd level, you learn two cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list. At 10th level, you learn an additional sorcerer cantrip
Spells Known: At 3rd level, The Ranger learn 3 sorcerer spells. She learns additional sorcerer spells as shown on the arcane archer table. These spells must be chosen from the evocation, transmutation or illusion schools of the sorcerer spell list.
Spells gained through this class are prepared as normal for ranger spells
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you may exchange one sorceror spell you know for another spell from the sorcerer spell list. The new spell must be of a level you can cast, and must be an Evocation, Transmutation or Illusion spell.
Focus: You can use an arcane focus or a wooden ranged weapon to cast spells gained by this ability (see chapter 5).

levelcantripsspells
3rd 2 3
4th 2 3
5th 2 4
6th 2 4
7th 2 5
8th 2 5
9th 2 6
10th 3 6
11th 3 7
12th 3 7
13th 3 8
14th 3 8
15th 3 9
16th 3 9
17th 3 10
18th 3 10
19th 3 11
20th 3 11

Spell-Shot – you have learnt the ancient art of imbuing arcane power into your arrows. From 3rd level. When you make an attack with a ranged weapon with which you are proficient, you can expend a spell slot deal energy damage in addition to the normal damage. The energy type is one of your choice, but you must know a spell that deals that type of damage to choose it. The bonus damage is 2d6 for a 1st level spell slot, plus 1d6 for each spell level higher, to a maximum of 5d6. The damage increases by 1d6 if the target is your preferred enemy

Arcane Font – at 7th level, the Arcane Archer gains the ability to tap into the potent magics that sleep within her soul. This is represented by sorcery points, which can be used for a variety of magical effects.

Sorcery Points: You have three sorcery points, and gain more as you reach higher levels, as shown in the sorcery points column of the Arcane Archer table. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table. You regain all sorcery points after a long rest

flexible casting – you can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points. You will also learn other uses for sorcery points.
Creating spell slots: you can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action. The Creating Spell slots table shows the cost of creating a spell slot of a given level, you can create spell slots no higher than level 3

spell levelsorcery point cost

converting spell slots to sorcery points – as a bonus action on your turn, you can expend a spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to its level.

Arcane Bodkins: At 7th level, you learn new ways to combine your arcane power with your arrows for devastating and flashy results. You gain two of the following options of your choice, plus and additional option at 14th level

Imbued Arrow – When you use the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can spend 2 sorcery points and a bonus action to imbue one attack with a spell of your choice that has a casting time of 1 action. If the attack hits, then after damage immediately resolve the spell using the creature hit as the point where it was cast from if the spell targets, or as the starting point in the case of area effect spells. You must still be able to see a creature to target it with the spell – if the attack fails, the energy from the spell discharges, and the spell points are lost but the spell slot is not expended.
Guided Arrows – When you use the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can spend 2 spell points to gain an advantage on the attack rolls.
Seeker Arrow – When you use the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can spend 1 spell point – the attack(s) you make count the long range as the short range, and count twice their normal long range as long range
Bane Arrow – When you use the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can spend spell points to increase the damage of one attack by 1d6 damage per spell point, up to 5d6.
Blink Arrow – When you use the attack action with a ranged weapon, you may spend 1 spell point to teleport up to 10ft before the attack roll is made.
Veil Arrow – When you use the attack action with a ranged weapon, you may spend a bonus action and 2 spell points to become invisible – before the attack roll is made – until the start of your next turn.

Phase Arrow – The Arcane archer has learnt how to fire her arrows through the gaps between worlds, the shot existing partially in the material world and partially in the ethereal plane. From 11th level onwards, The Arcane Archer's ranged weapon attacks ignore cover. She must still be aware of the target to fire at them.

Hail of Arrows – With a swiftness that only magic can achieve, the arcane archer launches a storm of magically charged arrows at all enemies in range. At 15th level, the arcane archer can use an Action to make a single ranged attack against all enemies within short range of her ranged weapon. Make a single attack and damage roll, and use that for each target. She must have enough ammunition for each target. She can use this feature once per long rest

Multi-classing – if you have sorcery points from two or more classes, add your sorcerer/x class/ level and ½ your arcane archer/x class levels together, then consult the sorcerer table to determine how many sorcery points you have. Use the highest level available for all of your classes to determine what level spell slots you can create.

weaseldust
2015-04-29, 02:42 PM
Did you intend to give this the '5e' label rather than the 'Contest' label?

At first I though 'Why all these Sorcerer class features?', but actually the sorcery points are quite a good way of keeping a limit on the number of magic arrows available (and making the Ranger choose between them and spells) without becoming an artificial constraint.

You started referring to 'spell points' halfway through. It's obvious what you mean, but I thought you should know for the sake of tidiness.

I would limit the cantrips to ones that don't deal damage, not because damage dealing ones are too powerful, but because the flavour of the class improves when the damage mostly comes from arrows and the cantrips are things like Mending, Light and Minor Illusion. The number of additional spells seems too high to me. The Arcane Archer would end up with more spells known than an ordinary Sorcerer.

Spell Shot and Bane Arrow accomplish pretty much the same thing, so you might as well cut the latter out.

Blink Arrow and Veil Arrow seem not to have much to do with the arrow. I would turn Veil Arrow into something that produces a small cloud of smoke where it lands and gives creatures within 10' of the target disadvantage on perception by sight, and turn Blink Arrow into a 15th level ability that lets you teleport where an arrow lands provided you can see the spot when you shoot.

I feel like the existing 15th level ability is too strong - you can easily carry dozens of pieces of ammunition and shoot them all in one turn, especially in a siege situation when you have time to prepare. You could introduce another Arcane Bodkin called Splintering Arrow or something that hit everyone in a certain radius. The Ranger already has access to Conjure Volley, though.

If you want more ideas for magic arrows, you could have ones that turn into beasts, or suddenly grow into trees, or cause minor earthquakes to knock people prone, or frighten people, or seem to come from another direction so you don't reveal yourself when hidden.

I like that you made Imbue Arrow require a bonus action so you can only use one per turn. You should increase the cost in sorcery points in line with the level of the spell, though.

Other minor points: you should make it clear whether you can only imbue arrows with Sorcerer spells or spells from any class; also, you might want to state that the various magic arrows count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances.

Beige
2015-04-30, 03:27 PM
Did you intend to give this the '5e' label rather than the 'Contest' label?

You started referring to 'spell points' halfway through. It's obvious what you mean, but I thought you should know for the sake of tidiness.

I am become error :smallredface:

The number of additional spells seems too high to me. The Arcane Archer would end up with more spells known than an ordinary Sorcerer.

well, that'd be rather hard to avoid, considering the ranger as standard has like 3 less spells than the sorcerer - the final result here sets the ranger up with the same number of spells as a bard, and I designed this to be the 'full caster' variant of the ranger, so it seemed a good number. he's still capped at level 5 for spellcasting so he won't really compete for the sorcerers role, just bring a bit more versatility :)

Might knock down the cantrips to 1/2, rather than 2/3 though, as right now it will overtake everyone but a tomelock. good point about the damage ones as well

Spell Shot and Bane Arrow accomplish pretty much the same thing, so you might as well cut the latter out.

point. going to change bane arrow to be advantage on the damage roll :smallsmile:

I feel like the existing 15th level ability is too strong - you can easily carry dozens of pieces of ammunition and shoot them all in one turn, especially in a siege situation when you have time to prepare. You could introduce another Arcane Bodkin called Splintering Arrow or something that hit everyone in a certain radius. The Ranger already has access to Conjure Volley, though.

conjure volley is a bit different though, being a higher damage but lower range than the hail. one thing I did forget to mention is this attack can't be modified by arcane bodkins/spellshot :smallredface:. it's designed to be a single, basic ranged shot on everyone in range - and its not that re-useable, being once per long rest, so its not like the ranger becomes the master of swarm clearing :smallsmile:

If you want more ideas for magic arrows, you could have ones that turn into beasts, or suddenly grow into trees, or cause minor earthquakes to knock people prone, or frighten people, or seem to come from another direction so you don't reveal yourself when hidden.

thanks for the suggestions :smallsmile:

I like that you made Imbue Arrow require a bonus action so you can only use one per turn. You should increase the cost in sorcery points in line with the level of the spell, though.

I'm gonna disagree here - using the quickened and/or empowered metamagic have a set cost, which this is closer too. unlike twinned (the only metamagic with variable cost), this dosen't do anything near as powerful as clone the spell with one spell slot, just lets you cast a spell as a bonus action; same as quickened, save this gives extra range but requires an extra attack roll :smallsmile:

Other minor points: you should make it clear whether you can only imbue arrows with Sorcerer spells or spells from any class; also, you might want to state that the various magic arrows count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances.

ah, should be sorceror only. good point about the magic too :smallsmile:

thank you very much for the advice :smallbiggrin: