PDA

View Full Version : The Twilight Knight

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 04:20 PM
Not that this hasnt been beaten to death or anything....but here I go

He strode into the inn, clad in heavy plate mail, his face obscured by a wolf shaped helmet. The other patron’s shivered as a cold damp air filled the small common room. As the armored figure strode towards the bar, his feet made only the slightest sound and his long night colored cape swayed in an unseen wind. Several men and woman moved out of the figures way, making sure not to make physical contact, least they become an apparent source of punishment. They whole town knew of this man and his ilk, the supposed knights of twilight, a shadowed group of men and woman that patrolled the surrounding land, in search of profit and power while dispassionately taxing the towns and villages with “protection fees” and unpaid bar tabs. Suddenly a squelching sound echoed through the common room as a rotten tomato slid down the impressive cobalt armor of the Knight. The thrower, a young boy dressed in tatters laughed and ran for the door, but before he reached it a thick ray of utter night lanced through the bar, leaving only the wet smell of rain and twilight in the room. The boy lay dead, a fist sized hole in his chest as the only evidence of a scuffle. The Knight turned back to the bar tender, his right hand still giving off silvery smoke, speaking only a single sentence in his gravely low pitched voice “An ale please.”

{table]Level|B.A.B|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Invocations
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Hand of Twilight 1d6|0
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Dusk's Grace|0
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Eyes of Dawn |0
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Armored Invoker, Invocations(Least)|1
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Hand of Twilight 2d6|1
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Well of Darkness|1
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Special Mount|2
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|DR 3/Cold Iron|2
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Hand of Twilight 3d6, Cloak of Stars|2
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|New Invocations(Lesser)|3
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|-|3
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Rising East|3
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|-|3
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Hand of Twilight 4d6|4
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|-|4
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|-|4
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|New Invocations(greater)|5
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Hand of Twilight 5d6|5
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|DR 5/Cold Iron|6
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Body of Dusk|6|[/table]

CLASS SKILS
Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot
Alignment: Any non-good
Hit Die: d10

CLASS FEATURES
Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: Twilight Knights are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with all forms of armor and heavy shields.

Invocations: A Twilight Knight does not prepare or cast spells as other arcane or divine casters do. Instead he possesses a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations that require him to focus the energy of his night cast soul into the waking world. A Dark Knight may use any invocations he knows at will with the following qualifications.

A Twilight Knight’s invocations save DC is equal to 10+half his equivalent spell level+ the Twilight Knights Charisma modifier. A Dark Knights invocations act in all regards as invocations other then his save DC’s. Unlike warlocks, a Twilight Knight may not switch out invocations at higher levels.

Hand of Twilight(Sp): At 1st level a Twilight Knight may channel his inner power into a beam of eldritch energy as black as the moonless night. This effect is identical to the warlocks eldritch blast ability.

Dusk’s Grace(Su): At 2nd level a Twilight Knight gains a bonus equal to his Charisma modifier to saves.

Eyes of Dawn(Sp): At 3th level a Twilight Knights eyes become black with small pin points of white light. He gains the ability to detect alignments with 3 rounds of study.

Armored Invoker: At 4th level the Twilight Knight and his armor have formed a bond, making it like a second skin. A Twilight Knight can use invocations in any armor he is proficient with so long has he has worn it for 12 hours.

Well of Darkness(Sp): At 6th level a Twilight Knight’s soul has become as dark as the shadows cast by the setting sun and as hungry as the beast’s that stalk the night. The Twilight Knight is immune to disease’s, including supernatural ones, and poisons.

Special Mount(Su): Upon reaching 7th level the Twilight Knight may summon a special mount identical to a paladins save for the following changes. The standard mount for a Twilight Knight is a rhino.

Damage Reduction(Sp): At 8th level the Twilight Knight’s flesh begins to take on a pale tint with midnight blue shading along the jaw and fingertips as a product as his nether soul leeching into his mortal form. He gains DR 3/Cold Iron and this DR improves at 19th level becoming DR 5/Cold Iron.

Cloak of Stars(Sp): At 9th level the Twilight Knight can cover himself with star light blurring and distorting for a time. A Twilight Knight may cast displacement three times per day as a sorcerer equal to his caster level.

Rising East: At 12th level a Twilight Knight has become one with his inner turmoil giving him a faster reaction speed then most. He gains a bonus equal to half his intelligence modifier to initiative

Body of Dusk(Sp): At 20th level the Twilight Knight’s cold soul has finally leaked fully into his body, giving him the ability to harness its power for a certain time. Once per day he may take a full round action to gain several effects. For 1 times his charisma modifier in minute’s the Twilight Knight gains fast healing 4, fire and cold resistance 20, immunity to being flanked, while losing his DR and ability to use invocations.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 06:36 PM
this is what i have so far, i went with innvocations becuase...well lets face it..most "dark knight" figures are anti-paladins...with fluff and some other abilities i hope to get away from the anti-paladin figure and make a good evil warrior with some arcane powers

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-17, 06:59 PM
Uh... could you tell us what any of that is supposed to mean? And while you're at it: hit dice? skills? fluff?

~e~ Looks promising, and not at all anti-paladin-y. I would say that I like it, but I can't really tell yet.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 07:23 PM
its up, sorry for the delay, i put up the stuff before i write it...just came up with this today while i was driving home from work, so if it looks silly just tell me and i will make it work. Thanks everyone!

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 07:26 PM
here is an idea

Call it the twilight night, and make it a any non good PC class
then make up your own fluff about some sort of Knights dedicated to the Twilight and follow their own code and what not
It is cooler and you seem more ogrinal
from,
EE

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 07:28 PM
Ok, name and thread title changed

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 08:40 PM
Now for some fluff, i'll get back to you, but maybe something to do with the the power of shadow itself

The Twilight nights are a near fogotton order, existing in the shadow an acient paladin order

They still fight for their order and beliefs, but their cause is faded, and they abide to an anciet code that is long sence forgotton into teh twilight of time
from,
EE

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 10:19 PM
Fluff up, hope you enjoy!

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 10:51 PM
So are they neutral, evil or good. The ever asked question?
from,
EE

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 10:52 PM

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 10:55 PM

Makes sense, i'll think up some fluff in the meantime
from,
EE

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-17, 11:09 PM
1) You don't have any invocations listed, unless you just want us to use the Warlock list

2) Why Lay on Hands? Nothing in this class could ever lead me to believe he'd CARE enough about anyone else to bother healing them.

3) Rising East = broken. Specially for a 3rd level base class ability.

4) Armored Invoker = very broken. It's a Warlock, only it's in full plate...

5) Rhino for a mount? Try a Fiendish Horse first...

6) DR 5/Cold Iron (which is very rare to face) at 8th level is too powerful. 10/cold iron at 19 is about right.

7) Cloak of Stars... grants me immunity to Sneak Attacks plus a flat 50% chance of missing me. Pretty strong for 9th level.

8) Eyes of Dawn. Underpowered for a 12th level ability, actually. This is what the Paladin's Detect Evil ability SHOULD be. But this class has no reason to want it.

9) Body of Dusk is rather underpowered for a capstone ability.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 11:17 PM
alright, yes they get access to the same list as warlocks.

How is armored invoker over powered? When they only get a small handfull of invocations starting at 4th level. It is really no different the dusk blade or warmage, and lets not forget about the 1/2 caster level for invocations. So any invocation you are using against someone is going to fail more likley then not. How is this over powered?

Rising Sun has been changed

Lay on hands, just becuase he is evil dosnt mean he dosnt see the value of aiding his team mates

Yes Rhino...horse is boring and contrived...not to mention cliche

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-17, 11:33 PM
Well, for starters, you've made every single archer build obsolete overnight.

Full BAB plus Hand of Twilight = Win. Running around in Mithral Full Plate is only adding insult to injury. 5d6 of untyped damage on a touch attack. Plus, some Invocations really up the power/damage of the eldrich blast, which this guy can still use for even nastier stuf.

And the definition of not good is not caring about others, even your party members. Lay On Hands doesn't even remotely sound like anything this class would have. Nor does it have any reason for being able to do it either. A paladin channels positive energy to lay on hands... these guys are certainly not about to do THAT. So how?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-17, 11:42 PM
well a single hit for 5d6 a round is hardly over powered compared to a +5 bow with several abilities with four attacks. Again, hardly over powered. Adding 6 invocations that will more then likley be lesser or least(notice they can not switch them out at every 4 levels) is hardly game breaking. I took the lay on hands.

Though again i hardly see how at 18th level 5d6 points of damage is going to break the game when you should, if your a tank, be able to do that much or more with a single attack

XtheYeti
2007-04-18, 07:12 AM
i have to agree with Sthelost, this class is more powerful at low levels then not powerful enough at 20

Innis Cabal
2007-04-18, 08:10 PM
things have been moved around, and i took out the aura as well, since its not supposed to be divine and thus makes no sense to have an aura...though i think it needs some more ailities even if its just for flavor's sake

Tinranor
2007-04-19, 08:27 PM
A few things:

1) You might consider creating multiple levels of Armored Invoker - i.e. able to use invocations while wearing light/medium/heavy armour at various levels.

2) Maybe it's just me, but it's a little odd that they learn to use invocations while wearing armor...at the same level that they get their first invocation.

3) The damage ramp-up for Hand of Twilight is a little off. It seems like you wanted it to increase every 4 levels, but it's a 5 level gap between 3d6 and 4d6. I think it would be ideal for it to have a fixed level ramp-up so it will readily allow for progression at epic levels.

4) Maybe spread out the DR/Cold Iron ramp-up even further? Like, DR 1/CI at lv3, increases by 1 every 4 levels (7, 11, 15, etc.) after that. Again, this would also allow for progression of DR at epic levels.

5) For the Cloak of Stars ability, what you describe sounds more like a replication of the Blur spell instead of Displacement.

6) I agree with whoever else said it that Body of Dusk seems a little weak. If you want a shadowy theme, at level 20 they could gain something like the Shade template (but perhaps not exactly since I think the Shade template has LA+4 goodiness on it).