PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tau Playable Race PEACH

JNAProductions
2015-04-30, 07:09 PM
Tau
For The Greater Good!-Once per turn, a Tau may shield an ally as a reaction. To do this, the Tau must be within 5' of an ally when the ally is affected by an attack that requires an attack roll or saving throw. The Tau grants the ally advantage on a saving throw or the attacker's roll disadvantage. On a successful save or unsuccessful attack roll, the ally takes no damage and suffers no effects regardless of what would normally occur. The Tau is then affected as if they had been the original target, with an additional attack roll/saving throw as normal.

This can be done Dexterity modifier times per long rest.

Note: In the case where a Tau is already affected (For instance, a Fireball that includes both the Tau and ally) that Tau can still use For The Greater Good!, but is affected twice.

Each Tau is part of one caste:

Water
+2 Charisma, +1 Wisdom
Diplomat Extraordinaire-Gain Expertise in Persuasion

Fire
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
Never Leave A Squadmate Down-Gain Proficiency in Medicine

Air
+2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence
Zephyr's Grace-Gain Proficiency in Acrobatics
Hollow Boned-Halve all falling damage

Earth
+2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Bull's Endurance-Gain Advantage on all saves against Exhaustion

Ethereal-NOT A RACE FOR PLAYERS
-2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
Voice Of Power-Gain Advanatage and Expertise on all Charisma checks

ImSAMazing
2015-05-01, 03:01 AM
Tau
For The Greater Good!-Once per turn, a Tau may shield an ally as a reaction. To do this, the Tau must be within 5' of an ally when the ally is affected by an attack that requires an attack roll or saving throw. The Tau grants the ally advantage on a saving throw or the attacker's roll disadvantage. On a successful save or unsuccessful attack roll, the ally takes no damage and suffers no effects regardless of what would normally occur. The Tau is then affected as if they had been the original target, with an additional attack roll/saving throw as normal.

Note: In the case where a Tau is already affected (For instance, a Fireball that includes both the Tau and ally) that Tau can still use For The Greater Good!, but is affected twice.

Each Tau is part of one caste:

Water
+2 Charisma, +1 Wisdom
Diplomat Extraordinaire-Gain Expertise in Persuasion

Fire
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
Never Leave A Squadmate Down-Gain Proficiency in Medicine

Air
+2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence
Zephyr's Grace-Gain Proficiency in Acrobatics
Hollow Boned-Halve all falling damage

Earth
+2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Bull's Endurance-Gain Advantage on all saves against Exhaustion

Ethereal-NOT A RACE FOR PLAYERS
-2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
Voice Of Power-Gain Advanatage and Expertise on all Charisma checks

Why is ethereal not a race for players?

Theodoxus
2015-05-01, 07:45 AM
Why is ethereal not a race for players?

You thought the succubis' guy's race was way OP with +2 Cha, +1 Int and +1 Wis, to the point you demanded he split the race into two subraces, and you're asking why the ethereal isn't for players? Being extra weak in the physical stats to be a godly charisma caster isn't balanced. With point buy, you'd start with a 19 Cha at 1st level, have native stats to MC into both Wizard and Cleric/Druid if you wanted, and would outshine the rest of the players. I agree with with the designation - though I don't know the Tau outside of that one WH video game, so I don't know their tabletop stats; why include the Ethereal on the list at all?

On topic, my primary concern is the For the Greater Good ability. It's literally better than the Protection fighting style - I'm not sure racial abilities should be better than class abilities. At the very least, I'd limit it to some number of actions (Dex mod per xRest, perhaps).

ImSAMazing
2015-05-01, 11:04 AM
You thought the succubis' guy's race was way OP with +2 Cha, +1 Int and +1 Wis, to the point you demanded he split the race into two subraces, and you're asking why the ethereal isn't for players? Being extra weak in the physical stats to be a godly charisma caster isn't balanced. With point buy, you'd start with a 19 Cha at 1st level, have native stats to MC into both Wizard and Cleric/Druid if you wanted, and would outshine the rest of the players. I agree with with the designation - though I don't know the Tau outside of that one WH video game, so I don't know their tabletop stats; why include the Ethereal on the list at all?

On topic, my primary concern is the For the Greater Good ability. It's literally better than the Protection fighting style - I'm not sure racial abilities should be better than class abilities. At the very least, I'd limit it to some number of actions (Dex mod per xRest, perhaps).

I'm sorry, but it was just a joke. Of course I understand the OPness of Ethereal.

JNAProductions
2015-05-01, 02:24 PM
Ethereals are on another level in their original lore, so I felt it appropiate to reflect that here. As such, they're OP and only presented for completeness' sake.

FTGG! is pretty powerful, but it actualy comes witha drawback Protection doesn't-you get hit. However, a limit is a good idea, so I'll add that in.