PDA

View Full Version : spell somatic components - one hand or two?

Ettina
2015-05-04, 10:34 AM
Is there any rule for determining whether the somatic components of a spell require one hand or two? Does it vary between spells?

Zejety
2015-05-04, 10:43 AM
Is there any rule for determining whether the somatic components of a spell require one hand or two? Does it vary between spells?

This comes down to the system you are using. (I assume you posted in the general roleplaying forums by accident?)
In D&D 5e, you only need one free hand.

Red Fel
2015-05-04, 10:55 AM
Yeah, you should probably mention what game/edition you're using.

That said, in D&D 3.5, you only need one hand free (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components):
A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand. You must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component.

JeenLeen
2015-05-04, 12:32 PM
D&D 3.5: I think you can equip a buckler and still use that hand for somatic components, though. Or maybe it's your buckler-hand can still hold your backup weapon. I remember that I had a cleric who wielded a weapon and a buckler, but could still use somatic components without difficulty.
Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#shields)

Keltest
2015-05-04, 12:40 PM
D&D 3.5: I think you can equip a buckler and still use that hand for somatic components, though. Or maybe it's your buckler-hand can still hold your backup weapon. I remember that I had a cleric who wielded a weapon and a buckler, but could still use somatic components without difficulty.
Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#shields)

Clerics, as far as I am aware, are unaffected by any armor with regards to somatic components. It is specifically arcane spells which have that. Bucklers add a 5% chance for arcane spell failure. Spells without Somatic components are not affected by armor failure chance. I think.

Also, thinking about it, given what a buckler actually is (basically a punching shield) there isn't really any way for you to hold a buckler and a weapon in one hand and use either of them effectively.

KillianHawkeye
2015-05-04, 08:05 PM
Also, thinking about it, given what a buckler actually is (basically a punching shield) there isn't really any way for you to hold a buckler and a weapon in one hand and use either of them effectively.

That's not what a buckler is in D&D, though. At least not in 3rd Edition.

This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a -1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. This penalty stacks with those that may apply for fighting with your off hand and for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round.

You can’t bash someone with a buckler.

TheCountAlucard
2015-05-04, 08:21 PM
Admittedly it's only a video game based on early editions of D&D, but in Nethack you can cast spells as long as you have at least one hand free - if you pick up a cursed two-handed weapon, though, your life can get pretty difficult.

Lacco
2015-05-05, 01:30 AM
I call your "it depends on the system" and raise "it depends on the DM, players and play style".

I would allow casting with items in both hands with significant penalty. Or casting by leg (with HUGE penalty). Or overcasting with both hands (I would allow player to effectively cast two same spells for double the effect with a small penalty - less for "ambidextrous").

And maybe even make a rule for 2-hand casting of higher-level spells.

...ok, that's a bit off topic. Sorry :smallsmile:

goto124
2015-05-05, 03:07 AM
Casting by leg?

Okay, I'm going to homebrew the Leg Wizard.

Lacco
2015-05-05, 04:29 AM
Casting by leg?

Reference: A. Sapkowski - Witcher (book, not game - should be the short story "Limits of possibilities")

Impractical, hard to pull off, absolutely imprecise (she even casts a wrong spell at first), but cool (and it was mostly improvised due to the sorceress being tied to a cart at the moment).

Don't forget the requirement "Perform: Ballet" :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2015-05-05, 03:50 PM

Don't forget the requirement "Perform: Ballet" :smallsmile:

Okay, now you guys are making me want to see a wizard who casts spells by dancing! :smallcool::smallamused:

Beige
2015-05-05, 08:22 PM
Okay, now you guys are making me want to see a wizard who casts spells by dancing! :smallcool::smallamused:

pretty sure we call them bards :smallamused:

darkscizor
2015-05-05, 09:05 PM
Somatic components of a spell require only one hand. Oddly enough, the flavor text on Burning Hands states that you hold your hands together while casting the spell, although it has no special rules and somatic components require one hand, as stated before, so the specifics of casting this spell are up to the DM.

Jay R
2015-05-05, 09:18 PM

You need to watch the animated movie Wizards (www.imdb.com/title/tt0076929/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). It comes up once, as a prayer for divine intervention.

erikun
2015-05-05, 09:42 PM
Generally in D&D, it is assumed that somatic components use only one hand. I've not seen a D&D game where the wizard was required to drop their staff in order to cast a spell, after all.

KillianHawkeye
2015-05-05, 09:55 PM
pretty sure we call them bards :smallamused:

No, no, no! I mean, SURE, bards CAN dance, but it has nothing to do with their spell casting. I'm talking about full-body somatic components like in Avatar: The Last Air Bender only with dancing instead of martial arts moves.

Milo v3
2015-05-05, 10:01 PM

Spheres of Magic has an option for wizards who need to make perform (Dance) checks to cast spells iirc :smalltongue:

goto124
2015-05-06, 12:34 AM
What gods/goddesses do you recommand a Dancing Cleric/Paladin worships? Lliira?

We haven't even touch on what kind of dancing is used to cast spells!

KillianHawkeye
2015-05-06, 01:57 AM
We haven't even touch on what kind of dancing is used to cast spells!

It would have to be different moves for each spell, so I would say ALL kinds. :smallamused:

TheCountAlucard
2015-05-06, 02:25 AM
What gods/goddesses do you recommand a Dancing Cleric/Paladin worships? Lliira?Skarl the Drummer.

When MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI had made the gods and Skarl, Skarl made a drum, and began to beat upon it that he might drum for ever. Then because he was weary after the making of the gods, and because of the drumming of Skarl, did MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI grow drowsy and fall asleep.

And there fell a hush upon the gods when they saw that MANA rested, and there was silence on Pegana save for the drumming of Skarl. Skarl sitteth upon the mist before the feet of MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI, above the gods of Pegana, and there he beateth his drum. Some say that the Worlds and the Suns are but the echoes of the drumming of Skarl, and others say that they be dreams that arise in the mind of MANA because of the drumming of Skarl, as one may dream whose rest is troubled by sound of song, but none knoweth, for who hath heard the voice of MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI, or who hath seen his drummer?

Whether the season be winter or whether it be summer, whether it be morning among the worlds or whether it be night, Skarl still beateth his drum, for the purposes of the gods are not yet fulfilled. Sometimes the arm of Skarl grows weary; but still he beateth his drum, that the gods may do the work of the gods, and the worlds go on, for if he cease for an instant then MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI will start awake, and there will be worlds nor gods no more.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest.

Then shall Skarl put his drum upon his back and walk forth into the void beyond the worlds, because it is THE END, and the work of Skarl is over.

There may arise some other god whom Skarl may serve, or it may be that he shall perish; but to Skarl it shall matter not, for he shall have done the work of Skarl.

Keltest
2015-05-06, 05:16 AM
No, no, no! I mean, SURE, bards CAN dance, but it has nothing to do with their spell casting. I'm talking about full-body somatic components like in Avatar: The Last Air Bender only with dancing instead of martial arts moves.

Don't bards need ranks in a perform skill to use some of their various abilities?

nedz
2015-05-06, 05:20 AM
Casting by leg?

I see your legs, and I raise you an eyebrow.

In every version of D&D I've ever played: you need one hand free.

KillianHawkeye
2015-05-06, 04:05 PM
Don't bards need ranks in a perform skill to use some of their various abilities?

Just their Bardic Music abilities, as far as I know. Somatic components for spell casting are totally unrelated. Maybe things are different in 1st, 2nd, or 5th Editions though, since I really haven't played those (or don't remember seeing a Bard the few times I played 2nd Edition).

Red Fel
2015-05-06, 07:24 PM

If you're in D&D, look up the Spelldancer in Magic of Faerun. Dance for a number of rounds in order to add free metamagics to your spells.

If you're in PF, I'm pretty sure the Kineticist does that sort of thing, kind of. I don't have the details, but I've heard the comparison.