PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gith Race (PEACH)

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 10:34 AM
Hi, just a quick intro. Set myself a goal of adding in some psionics, so over the following weeks I'll be cobbling together some psionic archetypes. Anyhow, this is my first attempt at a brew, so critique is welcomed.

Gith

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141112214919/forgottenrealms/images/3/3d/Monster_Manual_5e_-_Githyanki_-_p160.jpg

The Gith are a people split in twain. The militaristic Githyanki, and the philosophical Githzerai are two races that are constantly at war. Released from their illithid masters by the great leaders Gith and Zerthimon through a terrible and prolonged campaign, in victory a rift emerged between the two, splitting the race forevermore.

Gith Names

A Gith has a given name and a deed name. Their given names are gender neutral. Their deed names are first given when they rise to adulthood, and change as they accomplish more impressive feats.

Given Names: Amak, Arja’rok, Dak’kon, Djakh, Djelekh, D’keth, Fri’hi, Hailcii’n, Hifek, Karan, Karath, Kars’ten, Keluk, Menyar-Ag-Gith , M’narr, Parakk, Ra’as, Retholien, Rivek, Rrek, Rr’ka, Selqant, Toryg, Try’ig’or, Vilquar, Zerchai, Zerthimon

Gith Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 2.
Age. Gith mature at the same rate as humans but live a few years longer.
Alignment. Gith have a tendency towards the Lawful alignment.
Size. Gith are about the same size and build as elves. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception Skill
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). You know mage hand Cantrip. A mage hand conjured using this ability is invisible.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Gith.

Githyanki

The githyanki are a warlike race that have conquered vast swathes of the planar cosmos. They are known for decorating their arms and armor in a tribal style with feathers, gems, and precious metals.

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence increases by 1.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). Once you reach 3rd level you can cast jump and misty step once per short rest. Once you reach 5th level you can also cast nondetection (self only) once per short rest. Once you reach 17th level you can also cast plane shift once per long rest. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and no components are required to cast them.

Githzerai

Dedicated to philosophical debate and rigid ascetic training, the githzerai live in rigid order. Their clothing tends to be free of decoration and flair, prefer simple functional design. An insular people, they are naturally distrustful of outsiders.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom increases by 1.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). Once you reach 3rd level you can cast feather fall and misty step once per short rest. Once you reach 5th level you can also cast see invisibility and shield once per short rest. Once you reach 17th level you can also cast plane shift once per long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and no components are required to cast them.

Sidebar

Some DM's may take umbrage with the plane shift ability in their campaigns, if this is the case DM's should feel free to substitute in Teleport or to remove the ability altogether.

Ralcos
2015-05-06, 12:09 PM
This is actually pretty awesome!

Now, I wonder how I could build a Red Dragon Pact or a Lich Queen Bloodline...

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 12:31 PM

Thanks!

Can't help much on the lich or dragon pact, I'm afraid, my list is currently full with psychic doodads :smallwink:

Wartex1
2015-05-06, 12:42 PM
If you're doing some Psionics stuff, I already made a Psion with a Power list based off 3.5's Psion. It uses Power Points and Displays. You should take a look at that if you want something that's not just re-fluffed magic. It's basically the Wizard but more focused on buffs/debuffs and is more self-reliant at the cost of weak overall damage. Some of the powers could probably use having their levels altered though. I made a Wilder using the same list as a Sorcerer archetype.

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qrVZ0JZt6XVV-NHRNgk7HRyHNBs_C0EHIr0X-J1JSbg/edit?usp=sharing

The race looks perfectly fine though. It's balanced and simple, except maybe for Plane Shift. Not sure how to change that though.

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 02:10 PM
The race looks perfectly fine though. It's balanced and simple, except maybe for Plane Shift. Not sure how to change that though.

Yeah it's mostly there as it's a racial feature both get in the MM. By leaving it till level 15, it is 2 levels after wizards/sorcerers get access to it (giving the spellcasters a couple of levels of it been their toy, before the Gith get access to it)

Inevitability
2015-05-06, 03:38 PM
Maybe note how the created Mage Hand is invisible? All psionic creatures have it that way...

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-06, 04:12 PM
Perhaps their plane shift should only target themselves?

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 05:20 PM
Maybe note how the created Mage Hand is invisible?

Good catch, added it in.

Perhaps their plane shift should only target themselves?

Thanks for the feedback !

Hmm, the entry in the MM doesn't have it target self only (unlike nondetection).

De-constructing it:
- plane shift is a 7th level conjuration spell.
- Bards are the only full caster that doesn't get it on it's innate spell list.
- Wizards can cast it from level 13
- Warlocks can cast it from level 13
- Sorcerers can cast it from level 13
- Druids can cast it from level 13
- Clerics can cast it from level 13
- Bards can cast it from level 14 (through magical secrets)

So the spell is already out there and open to every single casting class by level 13-14 ... so I don't see giving the a use of it as per the MM at level 15 to be game breaking or overly advantageous to an adventuring party.

eleazzaar
2015-05-06, 09:33 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with the higher levels spells, but this race seems approximately ballanced similar to medium power PHB races.

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 10:16 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with the higher levels spells, but this race seems approximately ballanced similar to medium power PHB races.

thanks for the feedback, that's about where I was aiming.

Steampunkette
2015-05-07, 12:22 PM

Now, I wonder how I could build a Red Dragon Pact or a Lich Queen Bloodline...

I find the pacts are already super flexible if you're willing to play with descriptions.

For example, you could use the Fiend pact as the Lich Queen's pact by reflavoring some things.

Stolen Life
Starting at 1st level, when you reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your warlock level (minimum of 1).

Lich Queen's Favor
Starting at 6th level, you can call on the Queen to alter fate in your favor. When you make an ability check or a saving throw, you can use this feature to add a d10 to your roll. You can do so after seeing the initial roll but before any of the roll’s effects occur.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Arcane Blessing
Starting at 10th level, you can choose one damage type when you finish a short or long rest. You gain resistance to that damage type until you choose a different one with this feature. Damage from magical weapons or silver weapons ignores this resistance.

Dragged to the Grave
Starting at 14th level, when you hit a creature with an attack, you can use this feature to cause skeletal or ghostly arms to reach out of the ground and drag that target into their own grave. The creature disappears and is held in their sarcophagus by the arms.
At the end of your next turn, the target returns to the space it previously occupied, or the nearest unoccupied space. If the target is not undead, it takes 10d10 psychic damage as it reels from the horrific experience of clawing out of it's own grave.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Change up the spells for a more necromantic flavor and consider making your Eldritch Blast Necrotic instead of Force and you're good to go. It's also a great setup for innate necromancers, deathtouched casters, or spirit-speakers who help the dead achieve peace as their patron.

ImSAMazing
2015-05-08, 02:04 PM
Hi, just a quick intro. Set myself a goal of adding in some psionics, so over the following weeks I'll be cobbling together some psionic archetypes. Anyhow, this is my first attempt at a brew, so critique is welcomed.

Gith

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141112214919/forgottenrealms/images/3/3d/Monster_Manual_5e_-_Githyanki_-_p160.jpg

The Gith are a people split in twain. The militaristic Githyanki, and the philosophical Githzerai are two races that are constantly at war. Released from their illithid masters by the great leaders Gith and Zerthimon through a terrible and prolonged campaign, in victory a rift emerged between the two, splitting the race forevermore.

I
Gith Names

A Gith has a given name and a deed name. Their given names are gender neutral. Their deed names are first given when they rise to adulthood, and change as they accomplish more impressive feats.

Given Names: Amak, Arja’rok, Dak’kon, Djakh, Djelekh, D’keth, Fri’hi, Hailcii’n, Hifek, Karan, Karath, Kars’ten, Keluk, Menyar-Ag-Gith , M’narr, Parakk, Ra’as, Retholien, Rivek, Rrek, Rr’ka, Selqant, Toryg, Try’ig’or, Vilquar, Zerchai, Zerthimon

Gith Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 2.
Age. Gith mature at the same rate as humans but live a few years longer.
Alignment. Gith have a tendency towards the Lawful alignment.
Size. Gith are about the same size and build as elves. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception Skill
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). You know mage hand Cantrip. A mage hand conjured using this ability is invisible.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Gith.

Githyanki

The githyanki are a warlike race that have conquered vast swathes of the planar cosmos. They are known for decorating their arms and armor in a tribal style with feathers, gems, and precious metals.

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence increases by 1.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). Once you reach 3rd level you can cast jump and misty step once per short rest. Once you reach 5th level you can also cast nondetection (self only) once per short rest. Once you reach 15th level you can also cast plane shift once per long rest. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and no components are required to cast them.

Githzerai

Dedicated to philosophical debate and rigid ascetic training, the githzerai live in rigid order. Their clothing tends to be free of decoration and flair, prefer simple functional design. An insular people, they are naturally distrustful of outsiders.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom increases by 1.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). Once you reach 3rd level you can cast feather fall and misty step once per short rest. Once you reach 5th level you can also cast see invisibility and shield once per short rest. Once you reach 15th level you can also cast plane shift once per long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and no components are required to cast them.

I think plane shift is OP when you dont need material components. At lvl 15 you and your friends can easily travel to all the planes cuz they dont need components of the plane they are traveling to.

meltodowno
2015-05-08, 02:34 PM
Not sure you needed to quote the entire post to say that.

At level 15 a 250gp focus is negligible.

How is been able to travel to all planes OP? What advantage does it give them? Pretty much every plane is a hostile environments and deadly to walk around, and if you are randomly plane-hopping you are not engaging with the plot of the game, and are allowing the bad guys free reign.

Could you please explain a situation it's OP ? (other than the DM wishing to deny access to a certain plane - in which case, that's a campaign issue not a rules issue)

Regardless as per the MM the spell is a core feature of high level Gith, don't want the spell in your campaign ? Don't allow it's transportation function.