PDA

View Full Version : Intestine Bird [Creature, MitP]

Rimx
2007-04-18, 08:06 PM
This is a monster I created for the monster contest back in 2005. The original post can be found here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9700)

Intestine Bird
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 5D8+10(33 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 natural, +4 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple:+3/+5
Attack: Tentacle +7 melee touch (strangle)
Full Attack: 4 Tentacles +7 melee touch (strangle) and Bite +2 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, Whiplash, Strangle
Special Qualities: Blindsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +16*, Listen +11*, Move Silently +13, Spot +12*
Feats: Improved Grab, Flyby attack, Stealthy, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Warm and temperate plains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

Intestine Birds are notable for their intestine like tentacles on their underbelly
that are used for strangling prey. Bat-like marsupials,
they are commonly mistaken for birds because of their beak shaped snout.
They have a wingspan of 7 feet, jet black fur, and 4-6 2'foot long tentacles on their underbelly.

COMBAT
Nocturnal, intestine Birds use the cover of darkness to hunt it's prey.
When found it swoops down and uses it's tentacles to grab the prey around the neck. It then flies away while strangling it's prey.
It doesn't feast on it's prey until it has been strangled to death. It usually eats animals,
but may go after small children and halflings if hungry enough. It will wait until they are alone before attacking. They only attack during the day if they feel their mate or nest is threatened.

Blindsense (Ex)
An intestine bird uses echolocation to pinpoint creatures within 60 feet. Opponents still have total concealment against it unless it can actually see them.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, an intestine Bird must hit a creature at least one size smaller than itself with its Tentacle attack.
It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to strangle the opponent in the following round.
They can still fly if grappling as long as the weight doesn't exceed it's load limit. It can try to grapple as many opponents as there are available tentacles.

Whiplash(Ex)
If an intestine bird flies away after an initial successful grapple a neck snap occurs. A neck snap causes 2d4 damage as the neck is suddenly jolted in motion.

Strangle(Ex)
After a successful grapple attack the intestine bird strangles a creature with it's tentacles. A creature can hold it's breath for a number of rounds equal to it's constitution score, but only if it preforms no action aside from move and free actions. A standard action or a full-round action reduces the duration for which you can hold your breath by 1 round. After that period of time, you must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round to continue holding your breath. Each round, the DC for that check increases by 1. If you fail the Constitution check, you begin to suffocate. Because it seizes its victim by the neck, a creature in the intestine bird’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

Skills
Intestine Birds have a +4 racial bonus to move silently checks and a +8 racial bonus to listen and Spot checks. Listen and spot bonuses are lost if its blindsense is negated. They also have a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks made at night. At night they can move at normal speed and charge without a penalty to hide. Full-moonlight causes a -5 penalty to hide checks.

Carrying Capacity
A light load for an intestine bird is up to 58 pounds; a medium load, 59-116 pounds; and a heavy load, 117-175 pounds.

Notes:
A few Intestine birds have adapted to life in cities. They usually reside in poorer districts of the city where it is easier for them to find food and go unnoticed. They mostly eat strays and rats, but occasionally go after lone individuals walking the streets late at night.

Scorpina
2007-04-18, 08:21 PM
I love it in so many ways. Big yes.

Demented
2007-04-18, 08:26 PM
Oh yeah, that's not creepy at all.

"A black creature with leathery wings, together as wide as a man is tall, swoops down, grasping your shoulders with its long claws and pressing its gut against your face. In an instant, soft, rubbery tentacles twist themselves around your head and neck..."

Eeeugh!

Icewalker
2007-04-18, 09:09 PM
Yeah, very very creepy, but I like it. Mechanics look good to me, and it'd be a fun challenge for the other adventurers to stop the big bird from escaping with the halfling (AH ****! it got Bob!)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-20, 01:09 PM
Hmm. I think Neck Snap needs a different name - as it is it sounds like it should be a save or die. Other than that, it's good.

XtheYeti
2007-04-20, 01:21 PM
i like this and must now run off to drop about 100 of these on my unsuspecing party.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-20, 01:58 PM
Very cool.

I second the name change for Neck Snap. Jarring Release? Whiplash Releash? Wrenching gut (harharhar)? Twist?

Icewalker
2007-04-20, 03:41 PM
You could just use 'Whiplash'. That's what the damage is from.

Rimx
2007-04-20, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I changed neck snap to whiplash.

Matthew
2007-04-21, 12:36 PM
Looks good. I wonder, though, whether 5 Hit Dice is a bit much for a Medium Creature of this type? The Challenge Rating might also be a bit low, but it's all relative.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-21, 08:59 PM
Actually, it would not be a medium animal, but a medium beast, as, according the the MM, animals are all in real life, or in larger forms, while beasts are perfectly normal creatures not found on earth.

Scorpina
2007-04-21, 09:24 PM
...not in 3.5. The Beast type was dropped.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-27, 08:03 PM
right... i forgot my MM is 3.0. Oops.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-04-27, 10:50 PM
Wow, this rocks. Might want tho change it to maigcal beast, but fantastic otherwise.