PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mechs for 5e

JamesIntrocaso
2015-05-07, 07:49 AM
My world is high magic and I thought it would be cool to include some Megaman X-style mechs that are good for a few fights, but not something the PCs or bad guys constantly have at their disposal. Take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2015/05/07/re-mechanize/

meltodowno
2015-05-07, 08:19 AM
without CR's it's fairly hard to judge where the benchmark for their balance is.

A lot of them have very high attacks modifiers/damage was the first thing that jumped out to me.

JamesIntrocaso
2015-05-07, 08:23 AM
without CR's it's fairly hard to judge where the benchmark for their balance is.

A lot of them have very high attacks modifiers/damage was the first thing that jumped out to me.

That's fair. I built them similar to the siege weapons in the Dungeon Master's Guide, which don't have a CR, but I can see what you're saying.

Draken
2015-05-07, 08:58 AM
If I were to eyeball it I would say the CRs would be:

Destroyer - 4
Gladiator - 4
Knight - 7
Lifter - 1
Lumberjack - 2
Miner - 2
Pyro - 7

That said, one thing I note. The damage of the weapons is off for their size category, pretty much universally. Considering that those are meant to be appropriate-sized versions of the weapons a similar pc would use. They would be correct if the size categories were huge instead, for the most part.

JamesIntrocaso
2015-05-07, 09:02 AM

Destroyer - 4
Gladiator - 4
Knight - 7
Lifter - 1
Lumberjack - 2
Miner - 2
Pyro - 7

That said, one thing I note. The damage of the weapons is off for their size category, pretty much universally. Considering that those are meant to be appropriate-sized versions of the weapons a similar pc would use. They would be correct if the size categories were huge instead, for the most part.

Nice!

The weapon thing is actually by design. The mechs are large, but they're reinforced with magic so they use huge weapons. Just a little over-the-top goodness to make them super fun.

meltodowno
2015-05-07, 09:41 AM

Destroyer - 4
Gladiator - 4
Knight - 7
Lifter - 1
Lumberjack - 2
Miner - 2
Pyro - 7

I'd probably go:

Destroyer - 677 (AC 17, 150hp, 4d10 at will ranged damage)
Gladiator - 4
Knight - 10 (AC20, 200hp, +11 3d6 free shield bash, 2x +11 3d10 attacks with advantage if shield hits ..... even at level 10 that's and all but guaranteed 1 round kill on a level 10 character if the first attack lands, and even a character with 20ac will be hit over half the time.)
Lifter - 1
Lumberjack - 2
Miner - 3
Pyro - 8 (good AC, high HP, high damage at will AoE ability)

Generally ok, but I think the knight and Pyro could do with the most work.

Pyro: Generally higher damage at will AoE is a no go in 5th ed monster design, perhaps give it a Recharge (4-6) to give the party the chance of respite. At the moment it has no reason to EVER use it's axe, and the flamethrower will consistantly do more damage, to more targets, further away.

Knight: The issue with the knight is the high bab, meaning if the shield attack hits (and even against a maxed out 20AC, that's a 50% chance) then the follow up attacks have advantage and also +11 to hit. That mean you are likely hitting a single target for 3d6+6d10+21 damage (average 64.5 damage), coupled with it's high AC and HP meaning even a level 10 group would struggle once it closed in to melee, as it can easily drop a character every round or every other round.

JamesIntrocaso
2015-05-07, 10:38 AM
I'd probably go:

Destroyer - 677 (AC 17, 150hp, 4d10 at will ranged damage)
Gladiator - 4
Knight - 10 (AC20, 200hp, +11 3d6 free shield bash, 2x +11 3d10 attacks with advantage if shield hits ..... even at level 10 that's and all but guaranteed 1 round kill on a level 10 character if the first attack lands, and even a character with 20ac will be hit over half the time.)
Lifter - 1
Lumberjack - 2
Miner - 3
Pyro - 8 (good AC, high HP, high damage at will AoE ability)

Generally ok, but I think the knight and Pyro could do with the most work.

Pyro: Generally higher damage at will AoE is a no go in 5th ed monster design, perhaps give it a Recharge (4-6) to give the party the chance of respite. At the moment it has no reason to EVER use it's axe, and the flamethrower will consistantly do more damage, to more targets, further away.

Knight: The issue with the knight is the high bab, meaning if the shield attack hits (and even against a maxed out 20AC, that's a 50% chance) then the follow up attacks have advantage and also +11 to hit. That mean you are likely hitting a single target for 3d6+6d10+21 damage (average 64.5 damage), coupled with it's high AC and HP meaning even a level 10 group would struggle once it closed in to melee, as it can easily drop a character every round or every other round.

Good thoughts. Thanks!

The axe for the Pyro was more meant for situations where it wouldn't want to use fire because it might hit friendly units. Like you said, it's a lot of damage and so it doesn't make sense that most would hit their friends with it.

I'll definitely take a look at the Knight. I want it's damage to be high, but you're right. That coupled with accuracy is probably too good.