PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Iaijutsu Master Feat

Wartex1
2015-05-07, 09:29 AM
I noticed that one-handed weapon users without a shield get the short end of the stick, so I decided to somewhat incorporate some of the Iaijutsu elements from Oriental Adventures and Complete Warrior.

Iaijutsu Master
You've developed a technique to rapidly draw your weapon and strike in one fluid motion, allowing you to strike swiftly and unexpectedly. However, you cannot perform this technique with a shield, as the bulk and weight of one disrupts the celerity required to pull off this technique.
- If you are not currently wielding a weapon or shield in your hands, you may draw a shortsword or a longsword during your Attack action before making an attack roll. If you choose to do so, your first attack after drawing the weapon has advantage and adds your proficiency bonus to the damage roll.
- If you are not currently wielding a weapon or shield in your hands and you make an Opportunity Attack, you can draw a shortsword or longsword as part of the attack. If you choose to do so, your first attack has advantage and adds your proficiency bonus to the damage roll.
- As part of the Attack action, if you are not using a shield, you may stow your weapon as part of the action once after making an attack roll.

EDIT: I added a clause that supports higher-level play a bit more, but is not overpowering. Basically, you can unsheathe as part of any attack you make in the Attack action using a short or longsword and not just once. In addition, you can sheathe your weapon once per Attack action in order to gain the bonus twice, but cannot sheathe it more than once per attack action. Naturally, this favors monks (martial arts) and paladins (honor code sort of fits the samurai theme) since they can only attack twice using the Attack action.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-07, 06:44 PM
That's really cool! Not a fan of the name but that's not really a huge thing. Kind of hilarious that it doesn't really work with Unarmed Strike, haha.

Wartex1
2015-05-07, 06:59 PM
Well, the term Iaijutsu refers to a sword technique involving simultaneous drawing and striking of the blade and quickly re-sheathing. It was used to catch opponents off-guard and as a counterattack, as it is easier to dodge an attack while not holding a cumbersome metal stick often called a "sword".

Basically:

Run up to opponent --> dodge attack (optional step) --> unsheathe and strike --> slash through your opponent --> clean blade by swinging off blood (optional step) --> sheathe your blade

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-07, 07:57 PM
Well, the term Iaijutsu refers to a sword technique involving simultaneous drawing and striking of the blade and quickly re-sheathing. It was used to catch opponents off-guard and as a counterattack, as it is easier to dodge an attack while not holding a cumbersome metal stick often called a "sword".

Basically:

Run up to opponent --> dodge attack (optional step) --> unsheathe and strike --> slash through your opponent --> clean blade by swinging off blood (optional step) --> sheathe your blade

I'm aware haha, the name is literally what the feat is - the Japanese name just doesn't really mesh too well as a random one-off IMO ;D Though anything remotely as descriptive in English would be... cumbersome, to say the least.

Wartex1
2015-05-07, 07:58 PM
How about Draw-Slash-Kill-Clean-Sheathe Master?

It's not quite as fluid.

I made this after considering a Samurai Martial Archetype, but I decided against it since this was simpler.

Amnoriath
2015-05-07, 11:28 PM
This feat is too powerful as all or most of your attacks you will be made with advantage as well as getting a scaling bonus to damage. With this feat alone 2 or 3 attacks can easily be made this way per round. Also depending on the sequence and interpretation Dual-Wielder doubles this number. It also doesn't follow 5e feats that well as they usually don't copy themselves in the feat.

Wartex1
2015-05-08, 06:26 AM
Dual Wielder doesn't double this, since that only allows you to draw two weapons as part of your move.

RATHSQUATCH
2015-05-08, 08:54 AM
How about Draw-Slash-Kill-Clean-Sheathe Master?

It's not quite as fluid.

I made this after considering a Samurai Martial Archetype, but I decided against it since this was simpler.

I would call this Feat "One Cut, One Kill"

Amnoriath
2015-05-08, 09:34 AM
Dual Wielder doesn't double this, since that only allows you to draw two weapons as part of your move.

"You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one."(PHB 5E, 165)
No it doubles it. Yes it is normally limited to the move but you gave a free action every time you attack which falls under this.

Wartex1
2015-05-08, 09:42 AM
"You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one."(PHB 5E, 165)
No it doubles it. Yes it is normally limited to the move but you gave a free action every time you attack which falls under this.

Well, it also says you can only stow a weapon *once* during your attack action, so you get 2 hits at maximum with this bonus.

It's to trade protection (no shield) and damage (no GWF) for accuracy.

Ralanr
2015-05-09, 01:11 AM
I'm guessing you're avoiding rapiers due to how you can't slash with them (in real life as far as I know. I only used a saber in fencing and I'm not a professional).

I like the concept and the execution looks fine. The only problem I see is it being very very powerful for rogues using shortswords for sneak attack.

Wartex1
2015-05-09, 06:16 AM
I think I might put a restriction on it to balance that out. Maybe require having the Dueling fighting style or proficiency in martial weapons?

Strudel110
2015-05-09, 12:14 PM
...If you are not currently wielding a weapon or shield in your hands and you make an Opportunity Attack, you can draw a shortsword or longsword as part of the attack. If you choose to do so, your first attack has advantage and adds your proficiency bonus to the damage roll...
Two things. First I think this feat should apply to scimitars as well, and second I don't think it should give you advantage on your attack roll. You should be attacking first, and catching them off guard with iaijutsu anyway. I really like the idea though.

Wartex1
2015-05-09, 01:17 PM
The Advantage bit is to account for the fact that the strikes are unexpected and fast in addition to only working for two attacks and while not wielding a shield.

You are right about the scimitar bit.