PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next SonsOfSauron's Bestiary - (NEW: Werebat 05/16) [PEACH]

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-07, 10:33 PM
I wanted to try my hand at some custom monsters. The Ice Elemental was a CR 5 that was needed for a white dragon's lair, and the latter are for a CR 9 dungeon I have planned. I'm not entirely sure I nailed the CRs, but I figured this would be a sound place to get some feedback on them.

Ice Elemental
Large elemental, neutral
Armor Class: 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 114 (12d10 + 48)
Speed: 30 ft., burrow 30 ft. (ice and snow only)

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

17 (+3)
10 (+0)
18 (+4)
5 (-3)
10 (+0)
5 (-3)

Damage Vulnerabilities: fire
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities: cold, poison
Condition Immunities: exhaustion, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, unconscious
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages: Aquan, Auran
Challenge 5 (1800 XP)
Ice Glide. The elemental can burrow through nonmagical ice and snow. While doing so, the elemental doesn't disturb the material it moves through. The elemental treats ice as non-frozen terrain.

Ice form. A creature that touches the elemental or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 4 (1d8) cold damage, and has disadvantage on the next weapon attack it makes. Whenever the elemental comes into contact with water, that water becomes frozen.
Actions
Multiattack. The elemental makes two slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) cold damage.
My primary inspiration for the ice elemental was to take make an elemental that was sturdy - but not quite as sturdy as the earth elemental, and have an aura similar to the fire elemental's. The HP is modeled pretty much exactly off the water elemental's, and the AC is high but not quite up to the level of the earth elemental.

Earth Elemental, Greater
Huge elemental, neutral
Armor Class: 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 175 (14d12 + 84)
Speed: 30 ft., burrow 30 ft.

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

23 (+6)
8 (-1)
22 (+6)
5 (-3)
10 (+0)
5 (-3)

Damage Vulnerabilities: thunder
Damage Immunities: poison
Condition Immunities: exhaustion, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, unconscious
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages: Terran
Challenge 9 (5000 XP)
Earth Glide. The elemental can burrow through nonmagical, unworked earth and stone. While doing so, the elemental doesn't disturb the material it moves through.

Siege Monster. The elemental deals double damage to objects and structures.
Actions
Multiattack. The elemental makes two slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target.
Hit: 22 (3d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage.
The greater earth elemental was just me trying to upsize the vanilla earth elemental, nothing terribly fancy. AC, Ability Scores, HP, and damage scaled up as appropriate to the new size and CR I was aiming for.

Young Earth Tyrant
Large elemental, neutral
Armor Class: 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 147 (14d10 + 70)
Speed: 30 ft., burrow 30 ft.

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

23 (+6)
8 (-1)
21 (+5)
6 (-2)
11 (+0)
14 (+2)

Skills: Intimidation +6, Perception +4
Condition Immunities: prone
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages: Terran, understands Common and Undercommon but can't speak
Challenge 9 (5000 XP)
Earth Glide. The elemental can burrow through nonmagical, unworked earth and stone. While doing so, the elemental doesn't disturb the material it moves through.

Innate Spellcasting. The earth tyrant's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14, spell attack bonus +6). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: mold earth, earth tremor
3/day each: earthbind, erupting earth
1/day each: transmute rock, wall of stone
Actions
Multiattack. The earth tyrant makes three attacks: two with its claws and one with its bite.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 15 (2d8 + 6) slashing damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 19 (2d12 + 6) piercing damage.

Sandstorm (Recharge after a Short or Long Rest). The tyrant surrounds itself with a 20-foot-radius sphere of swirling sand for 1 minute. Ranged attacks made within the area have disadvantage. Whenever a creature enters the area of the sandstorm for the first time on a turn or ends its turn in the area, it must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is blinded. As long as the creature is not in the area of the sandstorm, it can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
My primary inspiration for the sand tyrant was actually this nerd...
https://41.media.tumblr.com/71b701d97dc437444ff4d920ac598e29/tumblr_no0h1adJmL1rkqhfbo1_500.png
I wanted an elemental that has a much more magical control over earth and stone, and the sandstorm ability seemed interesting to try and fit in. It's also a monster I wanted to be more of a "solo" encounter, even at 9th level.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-16, 08:10 PM
I've a new monster that a friend wanted to turn into an NPC for their campaign: a werebat! Here's what I came up with for a generic werebat's stat block.

Werebat
Medium humanoid (shapechanger), neutral
AC: 13 in humanoid form, 14 (natural armor) in beast or hybrid form
Hit Points: 82 (15d8 + 15)
Speed: 30 ft. (30 ft., fly 60 ft. in bat or hybrid form)

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

15 (+2)
16 (+3)
13 (+1)
10 (+0)
14 (+2)
11 (+0)

Skills: Perception +8, Stealth +9
Damage Immunities: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered
Senses: blindsight 60 ft. (bat or hybrid form only), passive Perception 15
Languages: Common (can’t speak in bat form)
Challenge 5 (1800 XP)
Shapechanger. The werebat can use its action to polymorph itself into a bat-humanoid hybrid or into a giant bat, or back into its true form, which is humanoid. Its statistics, other than its size and AC, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Echolocation (Bat or Hybrid Form Only). The werebat can’t use its blindsight while deafened.

Keen Hearing. The werebat has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.
Actions
Multiattack (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). The werebat makes two attacks: two with its shortswords and/or claws, only one of which can be its bite. Alternatively, it can attack twice with its shortbow.

Bite (Bat or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a humanoid, it must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with werebat lycanthropy.

Claws (Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) slashing damage.

Shortsword (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Shortbow (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.