PDA

View Full Version : [Prc] Simple Weapon Master

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 03:32 AM
“Whenever they see the longspear they always think I am just some farmboy in way over his head, they usually don’t get a chance to think of much anything else after that.”

Fargan Underhill - Simple Weapon Master

Simple Weapon Master

Some guys go out there in the world and feel like they have something to prove, so they go out and buy spiked chains, hooked hammers, double axes and all manner of ridiculous weapons that look like they were designed to clean the gunk off the side of a kobold airship. Other guys stick with what they know best and learn how to master weapons that they can find anywhere.

Adventures: The Simple Weapon Master can be found in many adventuring parties, he is often overlooked, which can prove deadly to his foes.

Characteristics: There are as many different kinds of Simple Weapon Masters as there are characters who take this class, although many of them have a very practical outlook on life, and more than a few of them are known for being rather cheap.

Alignment: Simple Weapon Masters can be of any alignment, but as a group they tend towards being rather lawful, as the mastery of simple implements requires a bit of dedication.

Religion: As a class Simple Weapon Masters don’t tend towards any particular religious leanings, most tend to follow whatever religious beliefs are most common in the area.

Other Classes: Characters who use exotic weapons and Simple Weapon Masters very rarely get along, although most other character can appreciate the Simple Weapon Master.

Abilities: Simple Weapon Masters are a fighting class at heart, so they are best served by high physical ability scores.

Becoming a Simple Weapon Master

Simple Weapon Master is a fairly easy character class to get into, most of them have a background in the various martial classes, although even a wizard could meet the requirements eventually.

Entry Requirements
Feat: Weapon Focus (Any simple weapon)
Base Attack Bonus: +5

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Simple Weapon Masters gain proficiency in all simple weapons if they did not already have such a proficiency.

Focus (Ex) Any feat the Simple Weapon Master takes that applies to a single simple weapon is expanded to apply to all simple weapons. This includes (but is not limited to), Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, and Rapid Reload.

Adaptability (Ex) The Simple Weapon Master has learned to use his weapons to their maximum potential, including using them in ways they were never designed to be used. He treats all simple weapons as if they can be thrown with a range increment of 10’. Furthermore he is able to perform a trip or disarm attempt with any simple weapon, even at range, although attempting to trip at range with a crossbow requires the character to throw the crossbow at his target. The Simple Weapon Master now receives a +2 to all opposed checks to disarm an opponent while using and simple weapon. Finally the character can make melee attacks while holding a ranged simple weapon, but he treats the weapon as being one size category smaller for purposes of damage.

Simple Defense (Ex) A 3rd level Simple Weapon Master is exceptionally good at defending against attacks from more complicated weapons and receives a +4 dodge bonus to armor class against all exotic weapons.

Accuracy (Ex) At 4th level the character increases the critical threat range on all simple weapons by one number, increasing 20 to 19-20 and 19-20 to 18-20. Improved critical stacks with this ability.

Mastery (Ex) A 5th level Simple Weapon Master treats any appropriately sized simple weapon as if it were one size category larger for purposes of damage dealt. This ability does not function if the character is attempting to use a weapon of an inappropriate size.

Hit Die
d10

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): The Simple Weapon Master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Local (Int), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Level
LVL BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Focus
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Adaptability
3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Reality
4 +4 +4 +1 +1 Accuracy
5 +5 +4 +1 +1 Mastery

Falconsflight
2007-04-19, 04:18 AM
I liked it all the way up to Reality. Reality doesn't make any sort of sense, and it poses no really good help at all. Any freinds wielding a Spiked chain will be annoyed, and it wouldn't hinder anyone at high levels almost at all. So why have it?

IF you want to have a reality mechanic. Give him 10 feet anti-magic field or soemthing. Or if you want something else, increase threat range by 5 feet for all simple weapons.

Btw, Gauntlets with a range of 10? That'll be interesting to see.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-19, 04:26 AM
Heheheh. If you ditch Reality for something else, it'd be great. I suggest something to provide you a bonus to AC when using simple weapons.
EDIT:

Ranged touch attack, amirite?

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 04:32 AM
Yes, he would have to THROW the gauntlets in order to get the range increments, but he could do it.

How about a +4 dodge bonus to armor class against all exotic weapons instead of the current "reality" feature?

I liked it all the way up to Reality. Reality doesn't make any sort of sense, and it poses no really good help at all. Any freinds wielding a Spiked chain will be annoyed, and it wouldn't hinder anyone at high levels almost at all. So why have it?

IF you want to have a reality mechanic. Give him 10 feet anti-magic field or soemthing. Or if you want something else, increase threat range by 5 feet for all simple weapons.

Falconsflight
2007-04-19, 04:38 AM
MY only question to that would be why? I mean, what makes this class hate exotic weapons so much that it has a class feature? Maybe if the theme was prevalent, but even then. These are exotic weapons. Exotic. That means "rare" You wouldn't have a bonus against exotic.

Now you could say Martial, but again why. What's so wrong with martial that the Simple master hates it? Again, not according to your theme

THe best thing you can do is to have another ability to help out the Simple weapons. How about Improvised weapons: you can use improvised weapons as if they were simple weapons. Taken from the "Drunken Master" prestige Class.

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 04:43 AM
The improvised weapons bit might work too. The general unfriendliness towards the IMPOSSIBLE exotic weapons is actually pretty prevalent in the campaign world I am writing for.

I'll wait and see what other suggestions I get about the ability before making a final decision.

MY only question to that would be why? I mean, what makes this class hate exotic weapons so much that it has a class feature? Maybe if the theme was prevalent, but even then. These are exotic weapons. Exotic. That means "rare" You wouldn't have a bonus against exotic.

Now you could say Martial, but again why. What's so wrong with martial that the Simple master hates it? Again, not according to your theme

THe best thing you can do is to have another ability to help out the Simple weapons. How about Improvised weapons: you can use improvised weapons as if they were simple weapons. Taken from the "Drunken Master" prestige Class.

Falconsflight
2007-04-19, 04:47 AM
I don't think a Spiked Chain is impossible. Maybe the picture of it seems impossible. But if you see it as a chain where one end has a bunch of spikes on it. Think of Kill Bill volume one. The chain with the Razor Ball at the end could be a spiked Chain. Think of Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon where he's fighting with the rope and Horseshoe. Make the rope a chain and the horseshoe spiked. You got a spiked Chain. It's not impossible. It's just they made a really bad picture for it.

XtheYeti
2007-04-19, 06:58 AM
i think that reality should be an antimagic field too, but other than that, this class rocks

jjpickar
2007-04-19, 09:10 AM
I like the reality feature just because it was so hilarious. I think it would be funny to watch anime geeks in a simple weapon masters party. "What do you mean I get a penalty for using a katana?

Falconsflight
2007-04-19, 02:15 PM
It's only Spiked Chain and exotic double weapons. so the katana would be okay.

Rift_Wolf
2007-04-19, 02:30 PM
Maybe a 'Know thine enemy' skill that helps the simple master to perform disarms against exotic weapons?

Roderick_BR
2007-04-19, 02:34 PM
So, it's an "Against double weapons and spiked chain" field. The way you put it, is as if using an exotic weapon were something supernatural.
Maybe add instead a feature to use improvised weapons? Most people see them as exotic weapons, but when you need to pick up a piece of wood as a makeshift club, that sounds more like a improvised simple weapon to me.

I like the ability to gain focus/specialization/etc in all simple weapons. It's like the Exotic Weapon Master from 3.0, where he could gain weapon focus/specialization in any exotic weapon, but yours make more sense.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-19, 02:59 PM
I like the reality feature just because it was so hilarious. I think it would be funny to watch anime geeks in a simple weapon masters party. "What do you mean I get a penalty for using a katana?

You accidentally illustrate a very good point. This ability only exists as 'poetic justice' against Exotic Weapons. It doesn't make sense and it isn't justified and there are better things to put in this class. I actually like the idea of this class and I think it has potential as long as it divorces itself from the idea that there's some kind of moral highground in using simple weapons.

Magnor Criol
2007-04-19, 03:44 PM
The AC bonus idea is a good one. A feature that reflects the idea that the weapon master is skilled at using her weapons to defend against them. She can throw her spear out and intercept the chain, for instance, or knows just where to block with her mace to stop the double axe.

Simple Defense (Ex) The simple weapon master is skilled at stopping attacks from more complicated weapons. Because she knows just how to use her weapons to maximum effect for defense, she gains a +X to defense against exotic weapons.

"+X" being as it is because I'm not sure what the bonus should be. The original bonus was +4, but that seems a little excessive. Perhaps it starts at +2, and later on it grows to +4 with an "Improved Simple Defense" feature?
Other ideas: Maybe it's a bonus of +2 against martial weapons, and +4 against exotics, to reflect the disdain you want the Simple Weapon Master to have for more exotic weapons.
Or, treat it like the ranger's favored enemy bonus, maybe: At one level, the SWM gets to choose either exotic or martial weapons; at a later level, they take the other one, and they get to add another +2 bonus to either the original or the one they just took.

An antimagic field has been suggested several times as an alternative to the 'Reality' feature, but that doesn't make any sense. For one, this class is a rather straightforward one. A Simple Weapon Master gets her strength through training in arms, not magic or supernaturality; there's no reason they'd be able to emit an antimagic field. For another, that wouldn't do anything about exotic weapons, which is the original purpose of the ability.

paigeoliver
2007-04-19, 03:47 PM
A +4 dodge bonus against exotic weapons is actually not excessive. +4 bonuses to specific situations is pretty normal for the game. People don't normally actually fight that many foes using exotic weapons.

Magnor Criol
2007-04-19, 05:03 PM
But a +4 at third level?
Still, the rarity of exotic weapons does pull much of the punch from that, you're right.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-19, 05:11 PM
How about a scaling bonus? Something like 1/4 your BAB or character levels?

Magnor Criol
2007-04-19, 05:28 PM
That would make even more sense - better with the weapon, better at handling it, better at defending with it.

I forgot to say this earlier, but save for the Reality ability, I love this class. It's got a great feel to it, and it's nice to see some love given to what people often just think of as the 'lower-level' weapons. Nicely done overall.

Falconsflight
2007-04-19, 07:04 PM
I still don't think you should have the "Versus Exotic weapons" ability in there. It should be something else that increases the potency of simple weapons. Maybe a deflection bonus to AC when weilding Simple weapons.
Or a really good one that goes with fluff. Have your opponents be flat footed during the first complete round, no matter what. (Since he assumes you aren't a good fighter). Or give them a +1d6 bonus against creatures during the first complete round or so of fighting.

Maybe he can move without Provoking AoO's until he attacks. (I mean, if your busy fighting a guy who looks really powerful, why waste an attack on a farmer with a club?)

Or maybe he won't be attacked unless he is the only one left or he does something threatening. (Casting a spell or attacking, or even sending animal companions to attack.)

knightsaline
2007-04-19, 07:40 PM
Think of Kill Bill volume one. The chain with the Razor Ball at the end could be a spiked Chain.

the spiked ball on a chain from kill bill, volume one is called a meteor hammer.

any chance of a martial weapons master?

Tinranor
2007-04-19, 08:57 PM
Should probably add a restriction that either:

1) Makes them unable to use non-simple weapons
or
2) A penalty to any attack with a non-simple weapon
and/or
3) Get something like a permanent -1 penalty to all attack rolls if they ever use a non-simple weapon (a cumulative -1 for each attack they make with a non-simple weapon) until they get an atonement spell cast on them and/or train someone else to take a level in this class.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-19, 09:02 PM
Should probably add a restriction that either:

1) Makes them unable to use non-simple weapons
or
2) A penalty to any attack with a non-simple weapon
and/or
3) Get something like a permanent -1 penalty to all attack rolls if they ever use a non-simple weapon (a cumulative -1 for each attack they make with a non-simple weapon) until they get an atonement spell cast on them and/or train someone else to take a level in this class.
Why? Just because you specialize in something doesn't make anything else kryptonite to you.

Magnor Criol
2007-04-19, 09:05 PM
I like the simplicity of something that grants a bonus when wielding simple weapons, but I think whether you go with that or with an exotic-specific feature depends on the intent of the class.

It seems to me like paigeoliver wants someone who specifically disdains exotic weapons, and thus a specifically anti-exotic ability fits better, and why I kept it that way in my suggested alternative.

Kultrum
2007-04-19, 09:12 PM
Simple and elegant (no pun intended) I like it. I may use it sometime.

Caewil
2007-04-20, 06:32 AM
I want a way to weild a longspear with a shield.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-20, 06:38 AM
If you want to go with the "vs exotic" weapons, you could use the suggested bonus against said weapons. The fluffy could be that martial and exotic weapons are so complex to use, that it's easier for simple weapon master do dodge them.

Namillus
2007-04-20, 08:33 AM
How about something like this, to replace Reality?

Simple Defenses
A Simple Weapon Master has learned the very nuances of simple weaponry, up to the point where her defenses while wielding such weapons are comparable to a warrior in full plate mail. As such, while a Simple Weapon Master wields a simple weapon, she gains a deflection bonus to their AC equal to her Simple Weapon Master level. Furthermore, she gains a shield bonus to AC equal to 1/4 her Base Attack Bonus.

These bonuses disappear while the Simple Weapon Master is clad in medium or heavy armour or while she is denied her Dex bonus to AC.

soylentplaid
2007-04-20, 09:50 AM
I actually like Reality, as it's funny. Serves the dwarven urgosh-wielding people right.

Functionally, though, it's probably better to have the +4 dodge bonus vs. exotic weapons. Really, how many spiked chain wielders do you run across? I have yet to actually see most exotic double weapons in use in my games, or any double weapon for that matter (except of course the quarterstaff). Exotic weapons do show up occasionally though.

Demented
2007-04-20, 01:05 PM
Functionally, the dwarven urgrosh is equivalent to a Battleaxe in one hand and a Handaxe in the other. Except that the handaxe does piercing and can be readied against a charge. Oh, and the combo costs 50 gp instead of 16 gp, in addition to EWProficiency. Ouch.

Gungnir
2007-04-21, 11:43 PM
Heh, I just thought of something. Aren't unarmed strikes technically filed under "Simple Weapons"?

DM- Sorry, man, you don't have enough movement left to reach that last dude.
Player- I throw my fist at him!
DM- *blink*

GymGeekAus
2007-04-22, 12:32 AM
I think it's a touch excessive, personally. With such an easy entry, one really has to wonder why any fighter wouldn't stop to pick up a couple of levels of Simple Weapon Master. Especially with such a potent first-level class feature.

I have a handful of suggestions here.

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): The Simple Weapon Master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Local (Int), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex). Without a skill requirement for entry to the class, increasing the skill points seems like a gimmie. I'd drop it back down to 2+Int Modifier per level, on par with the Fighter. If you wanted the extra skills, consider dropping the Hit Dice to d8 and improving the Reflex save.

Focus (Ex) Any feat the Simple Weapon Master takes that applies to a single simple weapon is expanded to apply to all simple weapons. This includes (but is not limited to), Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, and Rapid Reload. This is actually kind of potent. Perhaps it would play better if the Simple Weapon Master got to apply feats taken with a particular simple weapon to other simple weapons of that type--light, one-handed, two-handed, or ranged. So if you have Weapon Focus (dagger) you'd instead have Weapon Focus (simple light melee weapons) and so on.
Adaptability (Ex) The Simple Weapon Master has learned to use his weapons to their maximum potential, including using them in ways they were never designed to be used. He treats all simple weapons as if they can be thrown with a range increment of 10’. Furthermore he is able to perform a trip or disarm attempt with any simple weapon, even at range, although attempting to trip at range with a crossbow requires the character to throw the crossbow at his target. The Simple Weapon Master now receives a +2 to all opposed checks to disarm an opponent while using and simple weapon. Finally the character can make melee attacks while holding a ranged simple weapon, but he treats the weapon as being one size category smaller for purposes of damage. I like the idea that the Simple Weapon Master is more adaptable with his weapons, but I don't like the implementation.

I suggest instead of this class feature that it grant the Simple Weapon Master the option of causing Bludgeoning damage with any simple melee weapon, rather than the type it normally causes. This is easy to justify. Sure, it doesn't have much impact upon certain simple weapons, but not every class feature needs to improve every possible weapon choice.

Reality (Su) A 3rd level Simple Weapon Master is surrounded by an aura of reality that extends for 60’ in all directions. Inside this space the gods pay a little more attention to making sure everyone follows the laws of physics. Anyone wielding a spiked chain, or any exotic double weapon is at -4 to hit with all of their attacks, and furthermore they have to make a Will Save (DC 10 + Class Level + Int modifier) upon making their first attack within the field of reality or have all attacks for that round instead be applied against themselves rather than their opponents. This one sounds neat, but I don't think it plays well. It's also odd, because it's a supernatural ability in an otherwise mundane prestige class. Instead, I suggest that Simple Weapons Masters gain a bonus feat, selected from the fighter feat list, that doesn't require use of a martial or exotic weapon. Alternatively, you might let the Simple Weapon Master select from a smaller list of feats, but let him skip the prerequisites--like Improved Feint, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Improved Sunder, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, Weapon Focus (another class of simple weapons), and Weapon Specialization (another class of simple weapons).
Accuracy (Ex) At 4th level the character increases the critical threat range on all simple weapons by one number, increasing 20 to 19-20 and 19-20 to 18-20. Improved critical stacks with this ability. This one works fine. Especially considering that the character could already be working with a weapon with a better crit chance if he had simply opted to use a martial weapon.
Mastery (Ex) A 5th level Simple Weapon Master treats any appropriately sized simple weapon as if it were one size category larger for purposes of damage dealt. This ability does not function if the character is attempting to use a weapon of an inappropriate size. This works fine too, for the same reason I gave under Accuracy.

Finally, I'd switch the order around a bit. I'd start with Adaptability (does bludgeoning damage) at 1st, Accuracy (improved crit) at 2nd, Focus (feats apply to all simple weapons of that type) at 3rd, the bonus feat at 4th, and Mastery (improved damage) at 5th.

Also, I think you could justify adding a class feature at 1st that Simple Weapon Master levels stack with Fighter levels for the purposes of qualifying for feats.

But then again, I probably just overly gimped the class. ;)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-22, 06:29 AM
Heh, I just thought of something. Aren't unarmed strikes technically filed under "Simple Weapons"?

DM- Sorry, man, you don't have enough movement left to reach that last dude.
Player- I throw my fist at him!
DM- *blink*

It makes tons of sense. If you're a warforged.

ROCKET PUNCH!!!!!

IonizedChicken
2007-04-22, 02:18 PM
Heh. I like this class. The Reality class feature is really funny, though I agree it should get the Dodge bonus to armor class.

Also, you should probably clarify the Adaptability class feature regarding unarmed strikes: you can't throw your unarmed strike without sawing your fist off (full round action).

goat
2007-04-23, 07:00 PM
I like the idea of improvised weapon use. It makes sense to me that a fighter who specialises in small knives, spears, javelins, clubs, quarterstaffs and the like would be quick to see the value in a well aimed chair to the face or a toasting fork in the kidneys.

Akennedy
2007-04-24, 02:34 PM
I LOVE IT!! Reality just makes it all that much more fun! Although, If i may, I would like to suggest that all weapons that can be thrown already may be thrown an additional 10ft (with adaptibility class feature)? Also, Fienting should become a move action when using a simple weapon (maybe/maybe not, just to attract resourceful rogues to the class)? Anyways, thanks for hearing me out!
( I haven't read any1 else's opinions, so these might've already been said, sorry >_< :( )

paigeoliver
2007-04-27, 05:26 AM
Final version posted.

This class also seems to work well in combination with the Peasant Heroine class that can treat improvised weapons as simple weapons and gains enhancement bonuses while using them.