PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dashing Swordsman (WIP, Feedback Wanted)

miner3203
2015-05-08, 06:27 PM
Hi Playgrounders,

This is my take on the Dashing Swordsman class for 5e. It is based off of Elan (OOTS), Captain Jack Sparrow (PotC), Inigo Montoya (TPB), and Captain Jack Harkness (DW).

This is my first time attempting to homebrew a class, so I would like to request any feedback, no matter how much it criticizes the class. Thanks!

The Dashing Swordsman

An elf flourishes his blade, throwing his opponent off balance with his smooth display of skill. A pirate captain swings across the water, yelling a battle-cry and rallying his crew. A militia guard shouts at a fleeing bandit; the force of her yell stops the robber in his tracks.

The dashing swordsman fights with strength of personality instead of raw force or dexterous movement. They are generally more refined than fighters, rogues, and even paladins. Dashing swordsmen are usually found as lone, honorable duelists or leading a crew of others whom they trust.

Level
Proficiency
Special Abilities
Taunting Blows

+2
Fighting Style, Strength of Personality
-

+2
Taunting Blows

+2
Dashing Archetype

+2
Ability Score Improvement

+3
Extra Attack

+3
Dramatic Entrance

+3
Dashing Archetype Feature

+3

+4
Evasion

+4
Inspired Personality

+4
Extra Attack (2)

+4

+5

+5
Undaunted Courage

+5
Iron Will

+5

+6
Wordless Taunt

+6

+6

+6
Taunting Mastery

Class Features:

Hit Points:
HP: 1d10 per Dashing Swordsman level
Hit Points at first level: 10+ your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at higher levels 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per Dashing Swordsman level after 1st

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons with the Finesse property
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma
Skills: Choose three from Acrobatics, Athletics, Insight, Perception, Performance, and Persuasion

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
(a) A rapier or (b) any simple weapon
(a) A diplomat's pack or (b) an explorer’s pack
Leather Armor

Fighting Style:

You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Defense:
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling:
While you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Two-Weapon Fighting:
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Strength of Personality:

You are skilled in the arts of charismatic swordsmanship. You may add your Charisma modifier instead of your Strength or Dexterity modifier to your attack and damage rolls with weapons with the Finesse property.

Taunting Blows:

When you reach 2nd level, you gain the ability to taunt your enemy to throw them off balance. You may use a bonus action and spend one use of Taunting Blows to gain advantage on your next attack roll against an enemy that can hear and understand you. In addition, if you have the Two Weapon Fighting fighting style, you may attack with your offhand weapon in addition to using Taunting Blows on your bonus action. You may not use the Sneak Attack feature (if you have it) on any attack that you used Taunting Blows to gain advantage on. You regain all uses of Taunting Blows upon completing a long rest.

Dashing Archetype:

At 3rd level, you choose an archetype that you strive to emulate in your dueling styles and techniques. Choose from Captain, Sword Master, or Duelist, which are all detailed at the end of your class description. Your choice grants you additional features at 3rd, 7th, 13th, and 17th level.

Ability Score Improvement:

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Extra Attack:

Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. The number of attacks increases to three when you reach 11th level in this class.

Dramatic Entrance:

By 6th level, you have learned how to time your entrance into a room for dramatic effect. Whenever you enter a room, you may spend a use of Taunting Blows as a bonus action to make a dramatic effect upon your entrance. If you do, the next attack roll you make within one round automatically hits and is a critical hit. Once you use this feature, you must take a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Evasion:

Beginning at 9th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area attacks. When you are subjected by an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you succeed.

Inspired Personality:

By 10th level, you have a reservoir of inspiration to call upon in battle. You may use an action and expend two uses of Taunting Blows to gain temporary hit points equal to your 2 x Dashing Swordsman level. Once you use this feature, you must take a long rest before you can use it again.

Undaunted Courage:

Starting at 14th level, your bravery is harder to overcome. You may use a reaction and spend three uses of Taunting Blows when you are affected by a spell or ability that causes the Frightened condition. If you do, you become immune to being frightened for 1 minute. Once you use this ability, you must take a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Iron Will:

Starting at 15th level, it becomes harder for your opponents to break your will and make you submit to their desires. You may use an action and spend five uses of Taunting Blows to become immune to the Charmed condition for 10 minutes. Once you use this ability, you must complete a long rest before you can use it again.

Wordless Taunt:

By 17th level, you have learned how to taunt your opponents without using words. Your enemy need not be able to hear or understand you for you to use Taunting Blows, although they must be able to see you.

Taunting Mastery:

At 20th level, your mastery of taunting your opponent is complete. If you roll initiative and have fewer than 4 uses of Taunting Blows left, you automatically set your remaining uses of Taunting Blows to 4.

Dashing Archetypes:

Every dashing swordsman has a different unique fighting style. However, those can be classified into three major archetypes, although there are others out there. The three major dashing archetypes are Sword Master, Captain, and Duelist.

Sword Master:

Sword Masters focus on the weapons skills of a dashing swordsman. They choose to wield heavier, less agile weapons, but they are still perseverant, iron-willed, and deadly in combat.

Weapon Mastery:

At 3rd level, you have learned the arts of applying your dashing swordsman training to more powerful weapons. Your Strength of Personality now applies to all melee weapons. In addition, you gain Proficiency in wooden shields and in all martial melee weapons without the 'Heavy' property.

Empowered Weaponry:

Starting at 7th level, you can infuse your weapons with arcane power. Your Strength of Personality now applies to improvised weapons and causes all melee weapon attacks that you make (including those with improvised weapons) to become magical. You also gain Proficiency in Heavy melee weapons.

Style Master:

At 13th level, your knowledge has taught you the secrets of combining different Fighting Styles. You gain a second Fighting Style, choosing from the following, although you can't choose one that you have already chosen.

Defense:
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling:
While you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Great Weapon Fighting:
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Protection:
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

Two-Weapon Fighting:
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Defensive Swordsmanship:

At 18th level, your knowledge of defensive fighting and dueling has taught you how to temporarily protect yourself from all but the most powerful attacks. You may use an action and five uses of Taunting Blows to increase your AC to 19 + your Charisma modifier for one minute. Once you use this ability, you must complete a long rest before you can use it again.

Captain:

The Captain uses his (or her) charismatic powers to inspire and encourage their allies. They are flamboyant, good-natured, and showy, but their most important trait is being well-liked by those they command.

Convenient Distraction:

At 3rd level, you can distract an opponent to provide an opportunity for a comrade to strike. You may spend a bonus action and two uses of Taunting Blows to give an ally within 10 feet of you advantage on their next attack roll on an opponent that can understand you. Like the normal Taunting Blows, you may not use this ability in conjunction with Sneak Attack.

Rallying Cry:

Starting at 7th level, your success inspires your crewmates near you. Whenever you score a critical hit, all allies within 30 feet of you gain advantage on their next attack roll.

Captain's Bulwark:

Starting at 13th level, you can inspire your allies even further. You may use Inspired Personality on any ally within 20 feet of you by spending three uses of Taunting Blows instead of two.

Pillar of Loyalty:

Starting at 18th level, your abilities to fend off fear can extend to assist your allies. You may spend two extra uses of Taunting Blows when you use Undaunted Courage or Iron Will to target an additional ally within 20 feet. You may do this for up to 3 extra targets (spending up to 6 extra uses of Taunting Blows).

Duelist:

The Duelist is a master of combat banter and opportunistic strikes, using every advantage to strike very and accurately. They are often extremely witty and quick as lightning, but almost never resort to trickery to defeat their foes.

Compelling Duelist:

At 3rd level, you can persuade opponents to fight you one-on-one in a fair duel. You may cast Compelled Duel without material components equal to your Dashing Swordsman level divided by two (round down). You regain all uses of this feature upon completing a long rest.

Opportunistic Strike:

Starting at 7th level, your seek opportunities with every attack. Whenever you score a critical hit, add an extra 2d6 to your damage roll. This increases to 4d6 at 13th level, 6d6 at 18th level, and 7d6 at 20th level. This damage is not rolled twice, but your main attack dice still are.

Well of Stamina:

By 13th level, you can pick yourself back up after even the most devastating attacks. Your Inspired Personality now provides temporary hit points equal to 4 x your Dashing Swordsman level.

Immovable:

Starting at 18th level, it is extremely difficult to intimidate you. You may spend two extra uses of Taunting Blows when you use Undaunted Courage or Iron Will to target increase the duration of the effect to 10 minutes.

PotatoGolem
2015-05-08, 11:00 PM
Very cool. I'm a little concerned with how good this is as a Paladin multiclass though. 6 levels of this gives you Cha as your only necessary stat and the ability to auto-crit at the beginning of 6 fights a day, which gets ridiculous with smites.

Ralanr
2015-05-09, 01:06 AM
I think the concept works better as a archetype than an actual class. Aside from that I have no points (I skimmed. I'll probably give it a better look later).

Also, Jack was better known for his gun ability than his swordsmanship. Will Turner could be a better example.

Then again, Jack probably breaks the Charisma cap

miner3203
2015-05-11, 10:58 PM
First of all, thanks for the feedback so far. I'm glad you like the class concept!

Very cool. I'm a little concerned with how good this is as a Paladin multiclass though. 6 levels of this gives you Cha as your only necessary stat and the ability to auto-crit at the beginning of 6 fights a day, which gets ridiculous with smites.

Yeah, it does seem a bit powerful as a multiclass concept, although a Paladin will still need the 15 STR to use plate armor without a speed reduction. I'm not sure what you mean by the auto-crit at the beginning of 6 fights a day. If you're talking about the Dramatic Entrance feature, it has a short rest cooldown. If not, would you mind informing me which feature you're referring to?

I think the concept works better as a archetype than an actual class. Aside from that I have no points (I skimmed. I'll probably give it a better look later).

Also, Jack was better known for his gun ability than his swordsmanship. Will Turner could be a better example.

Then again, Jack probably breaks the Charisma cap

Which Jack? Both have a thing for shooting guns and breaking Charisma caps...

I've always imagined Will Turner as more of a DEX-based fighter; someone who is skilled with his sword as opposed to someone who fights with his personality and wit.

Again, thanks for the feedback so far! I really appreciate it!

Centik
2015-05-24, 04:45 PM
I'ma try this out in my upcoming campaign. I'll tell you how it goes! :smallwink:

CantigThimble
2015-05-24, 05:44 PM
I think you should rename the taunting blow uses to 'Drama Points' or something and just make taunting blow cost 1 of them.

Spiriah
2015-05-25, 01:10 PM
Needs immunity to damage from shattered glass. Other than that, nice work! Seems like it would synergize pretty well with Bard, which is pretty much what it's supposed to do in OOTS.

miner3203
2015-06-08, 11:57 PM
I'ma try this out in my upcoming campaign. I'll tell you how it goes! :smallwink:

Thanks, I'll look forward to it!

I think you should rename the taunting blow uses to 'Drama Points' or something and just make taunting blow cost 1 of them.

It does seem a little unwieldy, huh? I think I'll try and come up with less clunky name for that mechanic.

Needs immunity to damage from shattered glass. Other than that, nice work! Seems like it would synergize pretty well with Bard, which is pretty much what it's supposed to do in OOTS.

Thanks! Not sure how the shattered glass immunity would work, though, since there aren't actually standardized rules for that in the books.

Hjkryan2007
2020-07-31, 08:23 PM
I am definitely going to use this in a game soon.

clash
2020-07-31, 11:57 PM
I like this although it seems unnecessary that the advantage can't work with sneak attack. This wouldn't be the easiest way a rogue can get sneak attack with a little investment and they ate stopped to get it every round anyways. It is also very thematic to get a sneak attack like that I'd subscribe were to multiclass the two.