PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arcane Tradition: Spellblade [PEACH]

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 03:46 AM
Spellblade
The Spellblade is a storied tradition of sword and sorcery, a mage that values both the academic study of magic and martial prowess. Through disciplined study of both, they have learned to incorporate martial maneuvers into their spellcasting. Some are even powerful enough to channel certain spells through their weapon.

Bonus Proficiencies
You have proficiency with simple melee weapons, martial melee weapons, and light armor.

Spell Combat
Starting at 2nd level, your study of martial combat has given you the ability to attack with both spells and weapons. When you cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action, you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action. You don’t add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

Extra Attack
Starting at 6th level, whenever you take the attack action on your turn, you can make one additional attack.

Weaponborne Spell
Starting at 10th level, you learn to cast magic through your weapon. Whenever you cast a spell that requires a single spell attack roll, you can instead make a melee weapon attack roll. On a hit, the target suffers both the effect of the weapon attack and the spell.

You can use this feature a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum once). You regain expended uses of this ability after a long rest.

Improved Spell Combat
Starting at 14th level, you now add your modifier to the damage of the bonus attack granted by your Spell Combat feature. In addition, you have advantage on the attack roll of that bonus attack if the target failed a saving throw against one of your spells since the beginning of your last turn.

My main concern is that Weaponborne Spell is too powerful, and that an additional Ability Score Improvement is too boring or potentially strong for a wizard. It could very easily be swapped with the 10th level feature, if that progression order would make more sense. Any feedback is appreciated!

Malifice
2015-05-09, 04:08 AM
Not bad mate, looks pretty balanced.

Just curious as to why its needed? What niche does it fll that an EK+Wizard wouldnt?

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 04:17 AM
Not bad mate, looks pretty balanced.

Just curious as to why its needed? What niche does it fll that an EK+Wizard wouldnt?

Hmm, a fair question. It's an alternative that focuses on the spellcasting side more heavily than the martial side.

I'd argue that something along the lines of this tradition allows you more flexibility in your spellcasting, since you get full caster progression and no limit to what spells you can learn. A lot of the wizard's support spells really complement this style of play I feel, and by sticking to the single class you're better able to utilize higher-level spells.

The martial capabilities of this tradition aren't so strong (I feel) that they would invalidate the Eldritch Knight, just as the Eldritch Knight's spell effects don't invalidate the wizard.

PotatoGolem
2015-05-09, 12:09 PM
An ASI is pretty boring. Also, if this is a gish, it should probably get Extra Attack as its 6th-level feature- only getting one attack means attacking with your weapons is always going to be less good than using at cantrip by the mid levels.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 03:16 PM
An ASI is pretty boring. Also, if this is a gish, it should probably get Extra Attack as its 6th-level feature- only getting one attack means attacking with your weapons is always going to be less good than using at cantrip by the mid levels.

Hmm, fair. I was trying to avoid stepping too much on the martial caster's toes, and tbh I'm also okay with a primarily Wizarding class using cantrips primarily ;D

But it's a solid suggestion, and adds a bit more versatility. I'll make the change. Although I'm wondering if it would fit better at a later level. Even though an extra attack at 10th could be underwhelming, it would convey that this is still a primarily magical class first.