PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need Advice on a Homebrewed Race

5w337x7007h
2015-05-09, 07:03 PM
I need some help developing a race that is made by the Wizards of Nex, my own personal idea. Basically it's a highly adaptable race that cannot reproduce, they have to be made, and for every recorded death, or one not accounted for, another one is made to replace it to keep a level of population control. These folk inherently have the Eternal Template.

I'm not sure where to start with the idea, but they're like humans in the race build. Except that they don't get skilled, but they gain darkvision and a prehensile tail.

+2 to one ability score, medium size, normal speed, bonus feat, darkvision, prehensile tail, and starting languages.

The downside to being Eternal is that they can only level if the GM says, in-game, a deity or some other supernatural force bestows this power. The benefit is that your character cannot die.

I'm trying to figure out a clause in the build to specify how these creatures can die, there has to be one specific way. They're naturally inclined to serve, but they can decide to accept or decline service that is detrimental to their ability to serve. So I'm thinking it has to do with something along those lines.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Almarck
2015-05-09, 08:13 PM
The inability to grow or change being a GM assumption is one that being a PC will automatically waive in the first place since growing and changing is measured by exp which is controlled by the GM in the first place. You do not need to include it because it's already redundant.

Second, while I am liking the unkillability aspect, I think it's clearly not something most DMs or groups will be willing to deal with without it having drawbacks. Perhaps... the simplest way to handle the "respawn" mechanic is to specify where the Eternal respawns and in what condition (such as being in a specific city without any gear).

5w337x7007h
2015-05-09, 09:22 PM
The template already exists; Here is the template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/eternal-cr-2) I'm trying to make a race that is built around the template.

The respawn mechanic works like this; If the location of its body has become hazardous enough to kill it instantly, when the immortal creature returns to life it teleports to the closest safe space.

The race was developed by the Wizards of Nex to be servants that could help in situations that would otherwise be fatal to the assistants and apprentices. I'm thinking reduced level progression, maybe gain one level to another player's two. Yeah, you're going to die a lot, but it's not going to be a permanent death.

Maybe the character must always serve their master, and if they actively defy their master, it could lead to Geas Quest effects, and if slain under that pretense they're permanently dead.

So maybe the PC could be actively pursuing a goal given to them by their master, and any act of defiance would become detrimental. Like, their owner was a lich and the servant is seeking a way to reform the phylactery to bring back their master, or something like that.