PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder We are the destroyers of magic (PoW discipline and extensive martial tradition)

Thealtruistorc
2015-05-11, 04:57 PM
The Mage Killer

This is a concept that has been discussed and explored endlessly, a soldier who shuns the ways of magic and actually wields the power to oppose and destroy powerful wizards. For the longest time it has been viewed as nigh-impossible or borderline ridiculous to try and rationalize a build for such a character.

And then Path of War rolled around, bringing with it a ton of new abilities for martial characters to use in relation to spellcasters. It was then that I saw a chance to build a potent mage killer discipline, and with some help from fellow playgrounder Psybomb I think I pulled it off.

The martial tradition as well contributes to a character who defies magic by acting as a comprehensive fix of Vow of Poverty, offering many potent and thematic abilities for a character who battles magic-users.

Drawing influences from everything from 3.0's Forsaker to the crazy builds on GiTP to Rift's Void Knight to the writings of Friedrich Nietzsche, I present to you all the most comprehensive project I have yet undertaken for a homebrew. I hope that you all enjoy.

The Scions of Oblivion and the Boundless Void discipline (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8XSW8ICqQ-KxlXTnEzmJqNpBXxVfmKgeg7BW08oZG0/edit?usp=sharing)

Quite a bit of research went into finding proper methods to oppose powerful spellcasters, and I feel that I covered most all of the bases. As always, though, input is appreciated.

(Also, I apologize to Lord Gareth for an idea that can be viewed as derivative. The discipline was near completion by the time I discovered your Voidblade prestige class and I assure you that no infringement was ever intended on my part.)

PraxisVetli
2015-05-13, 12:43 AM
Wait.
So if they are all explicitly supernatural, then how does Annihilator Stance interact with itself? And wouldn't it stop you from using anything else from that discipline?

Thealtruistorc
2015-05-13, 04:47 PM
Wait.
So if they are all explicitly supernatural, then how does Annihilator Stance interact with itself? And wouldn't it stop you from using anything else from that discipline?

Like antimagic field, annihilator stance still functions inside itself. The orinial draft of the stance caused the initiator himself to not be affected, but that was seen as too powerful for most any character to pick up easily. The Scion of Oblivion has a way around this with power of the void, and the spurn impediment boost offers temporary respite, but for the most part an antimagic field is meant to be a double-edged sword.

PraxisVetli
2015-05-14, 01:37 AM
Like antimagic field, annihilator stance still functions inside itself. The orinial draft of the stance caused the initiator himself to not be affected, but that was seen as too powerful for most any character to pick up easily. The Scion of Oblivion has a way around this with power of the void, and the spurn impediment boost offers temporary respite, but for the most part an antimagic field is meant to be a double-edged sword.

Well, for the record, it's a double-edged sword that I personally wouldn't use.
What if it shut down everything but other Boundless Void maneuvers?

Thealtruistorc
2015-05-14, 04:33 PM
Well, for the record, it's a double-edged sword that I personally wouldn't use.
What if it shut down everything but other Boundless Void maneuvers?

You read the martial tradition, I assume. Power of the Void explicitly states that a Scion of Oblivion can use Boudless Void maneuvers in an Antimagic Field.

Even still, many other powerful disciplines have (Ex) abilities, such as Scarlet Throne, Broken Blade, Primal Fury and Thrashing Dragon. Even a non-scion is far from helpless in the field.

PraxisVetli
2015-05-14, 07:46 PM
You read the martial tradition, I assume. Power of the Void explicitly states that a Scion of Oblivion can use Boudless Void maneuvers in an Antimagic Field.

Actually I somehow totally missed that, my bad!
Knowing this, it's suddenly way cool.

meemaas
2015-05-15, 12:43 PM
I like the basic idea, but the execution seems kinda poor. It seems like there is a stance for almost every level of maneuver available, and the power level of them varies widely. Unfortunately I'm bad at balance, but I'm sure someone with more experience could critique it in that level.

tynansdtm
2016-03-20, 05:35 PM
Hey. I'm here because of your signature. I like this and I'm trying to convince my brother to use it on his Armored Blade/Shielded Blade/War Soul Soulknife. However, I thought that it should somehow address an imbalance of wealth-by-level... maybe required donations to victims of magical calamities (to avoid being too meta and to avoid GM interference). Also this character should have some way of getting over ability damage before 14th level, like maybe some kind of improved healing from bedrest.