PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PEACH New Warlock Patron: The Immemorial Glacier + Spells

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-05-11, 07:50 PM
Ok so first homebrew post here, so please enjoy.

Warlock Ice Patron:
The Immemorial Glacier

https://36.media.tumblr.com/6ff7ff4ccdda8a4379aee75257752623/tumblr_mxl06gFfer1r2zmajo1_500.jpg

Homebrew Expanded Spell Spell list

1st Level Fog Cloud, Endure Elements*
2nd Level Spike Growth, Creeping Cold*
3rd Level Sleet Storm, Boreal Wind*
4th Level Ice Storm, Column of Ice*
5th Level Cone of Cold, Heat Drain*

Basic Expanded Spell list

1st Level Fog Cloud, Ice Knife (EE)
2nd Level Spike Growth, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm (EE)
3rd Level Sleet Storm, Elemental Weapon (Cold only)
4th Level Ice Storm, Conjure Minor Elementals (Air and Water only)
5th Level Cone of Cold, Legend Lore

1st Level Boon- Child of Winter -
Your movement and visibility are not impeded by harsh weather conditions, you are able to walk on ice as though it were a normal surface. However you are not immune to the damaging effects of weather conditions, snow is still cold, lightning CAN hurt if it hits you.
As a reaction, when a creature targets you with a spell, attack, or ability, you can cause the area around you in a 10ft radius to freeze rapidly turning it into slick, icy terrain for 1 minute. When this affect initiates, any creature standing within range must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone. When a creature that enters the area for the first time during its turn or ends its turn there must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone. You must finish a short or a long rest before you can use this ability again.

6th Level Boon- Winters Caress -
As an action you can target yourself or a willing target within 30ft and cocoon them in a thick, protective layer of ice. For 2 rounds, the target cannot perceive the world around them and cannot take any actions for itself. While encased, the target is also immune to any damage and cannot be the target of, or subject to, any spells, attacks, or abilities. The target heals for an amount equal to 2d8 + your Charisma modifier during each of its turns that it starts while in this cocoon (increases to 3d8 @ 12th, and 4d8 @ 18th). The creature thaws out at the beginning of its 3rd turn. The cocoon can be destroyed by dealing fire damage equal to your max HP (rounded down). This ability can be used once per long rest.

10th Level Boon- Ice barrier -
You are resistant to cold damage. Additionally once per long rest you can use your action to create a shielding coat of ice that provides you with temporary hit points equal to your Warlock level x 5. These temporary hit points last for 1 minute. While these temporary hit points persist, any creature that strikes you with a melee attack must succeed on a Constitution saving throw equal to your spell save DC. On a failed save, the creature loses 1/2 of its base movement speed until the end of its next turn.
If you take damage from another creature, you can use your reaction to release the energy of your shield in a 15ft arc that deals 6d10 cold damage (Con save for half).

14th Level Boon- As the Frost -
As a bonus action you cause your very essence to shift, with a crystalline tinkling, your body transforms into a figure of ice and cold. Your skin becomes brilliant blue and transparent, with glimpses of liquid beneath. Frost forms across your hands and arms, dripping down to form knife-like icicles. Your breath hisses white in the bitterly cold air surrounding you. Snow swirls about you as your presence freezes the air's moisture. Ice crystals spread from your footprints. All earth, stone, and water in the area is drained of heat. Earth, mud, and stone become permafrost and water freezes.
The area within 90ft of you has its temperature dropped to -20F in a matter of seconds. Creatures and attended objects are not immediately frozen by this effect. Allies and friendly creatures within 30ft of you gain resistance to both cold and fire damage. Enemies within 90ft receive 1d12 cold damage every time you deal damage to them and enemies moving within 30ft of you are considered moving within difficult terrain. Any creature that dies within 90ft of you is frozen solid.
This effect lasts for one minute, and the environmental effects require a normal amount of time to thaw based on the environment. This ability is usable once per long rest.

Spells added-
Boreal Wind
3rd level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Effect: Gust of wind (20 ft high and 20ft wide)
You create a strong surge of arctic air that originates from your fingertips and moves in the direction you are facing. This gust of wind automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar protected or unprotected flames, including lanterns. Large fires (such as a bonfires, a blacksmith's coals, or even a house fire) have a 50% chance of being extinguished. All creatures in the area take must make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d4 cold damage and reduce the creature's movement speeds by 10 feet on a failed save, or half as much damage and negate the movement speed loss on a successful one. A creature takes the same damage when it enters the area for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there. Creatures passing through the area must use 2 feet of movement for every 1 foot it moves towards you.
This wind can do anything that a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. It can create stinging spray of sand or dust, overturn tents and blow down small huts, scuttle a boat, and blow gases or vapors to the edge of the range. You have to use your action on each of your turns to maintain the spell for its duration, you may use your bonus action during each of your turns to move the destination of the wind.
At higher levels: When you cast this spell with a slot of 4 level or higher the cold damage increases by1d4 and the penalty to movement increases by 10 feet for each spell slot above 3rd.

Column of Ice
4th level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 50 feet
Components: V, S, M (A 2-inch rod of ice.)
Effect: One column of ice, 10-ft. radius and 35 ft in height
Duration: 1 hour
As you point your finger at a point on the ground within range that you can see a column of ice rises from the ground, lifting any object or creature (including you) standing in the area into the air. Creatures making a Dexterity saving throw can choose to avoid the column and be moved to the nearest unoccupied square outside of the spell’s area. If there are no nearby unoccupied spaces, the target is raised on top of the column and not prone.
Moving or fighting atop the ice column requires an Acrobatics(Dex) check to not fall prone. Those who fail, fall prone and must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or slip off the column, taking commensurate falling damage.
Creatures atop the column as it rises may be smashed against the ceiling or other overhead obstructions, which deals 4d6 points of bludgeoning damage. The save and check DC's are based on your Spell DC’s.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th or 6th level, the effects of the spell last for 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 7th or 8th level, the effects of the spell last for 24 hours. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 9th level, the effects of the spell are permanent.

Creeping Cold
2nd Level Transmutation
Range: 30 feet
Duration: Concentration, 3 rounds see text
Targeting a creature you can see within range as reach out your hand and making a crushing motion, you turn a creatures sweat and the airs ambient moisture to ice, creating blisters as the ice forms on and inside the skin. Make a ranged spell attack at a creature you can see within range. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 points cold damage. Using your bonus action during your subsequent turns for the duration, the target takes 1d6 cumulative points of cold damage (that is, 1d6 on the 1st round, 2d6 on the second, and 3d6 on the third, etc) and loses a cumulative 5 feet of speed (that is, 5 feet on the 1st round, 10 feet on the second, and 30 feet on the 3rd, etc) from all movements for one round. Each time the target would take damage from this effect it gets a Constitution saving throw, a successful save reduces the damage by half and negates the loss of movement speed.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the duration increases by 1 round for each spell slot above 2nd level.

Endure Elements
1st level Abjuration (ritual)
Components: V, S
Range: Touch
Duration: 8 hours
Up to 6 willing creatures. A creature protected by endure elements suffers no harm from being in a hot or cold environment. It can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make appropriate saves. The creature’s equipment is likewise protected.
Endure elements doesn't provide any protection from fire or cold damage, nor does it protect against other environmental hazards such as smoke, lack of air, and so forth.

Heat Drain
5th level Necromancy
Range: Self (20 feet radius)
Duration: Instantaneous
The heat in the room seems to rush toward you, leaving everyone around you in bone - chilling pain while you feel amazingly refreshed and alive. You drain the heat from all living creatures within the affected area except you. This influx of warmth heals and empowers you. All affected living creatures within the area must succeed on a Constitution saving throw, on a failure each creature takes take 4d6 points of cold damage and 4d6 necrotic damage, on a successful save halves the damage. For each living creature that takes damage from this spell, you gain 2 temporary hit points. The temporary hit points last for to 10 minutes.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the cold and necrotic damage increases by 1d6 for every other slot level above 6th.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-11, 08:06 PM
This is really cool, pun intended. I want to find a 5e game so I can play this. Also, I approve of your choice of image.

As the Frost doesn't specify an activation action or a use limit. Other than that it looks good.

Amnoriath
2015-05-12, 09:12 AM
Winter's Caress is way too powerful as with this new system that not only is specific but even the Red Dragon can't one shot it. Besides while it has too recharge you can just do so again. Also other things are just have a bit too much text and caveats that question the necessity.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 09:30 AM
Winter's Caress is way too powerful as with this new system that not only is specific but even the Red Dragon can't one shot it. Besides while it has too recharge you can just do so again. Also other things are just have a bit too much text and caveats that question the necessity.

I dunno, I like the idea. It's a temporary stasis effect - the target can't be hurt, but they can't act either. Good for saving someone in a very sticky situation. I do agree that there needs to be a use limit on that one too (didn't notice its absence until you pointed it out) - maybe once per long rest?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-05-12, 10:04 AM
I dunno, I like the idea. It's a temporary stasis effect - the target can't be hurt, but they can't act either. Good for saving someone in a very sticky situation. I do agree that there needs to be a use limit on that one too (didn't notice its absence until you pointed it out) - maybe once per long rest?

Ok use limit added. My bad it was there in the original write up.:smallredface: I am toying with the idea of giving the cocoon its own HP and applicable weaknesses and resistance. For short term I might just make it a flat 1/2 your HP in fire damage.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 10:47 AM
Ok use limit added. My bad it was there in the original write up.:smallredface: I am toying with the idea of giving the cocoon its own HP and applicable weaknesses and resistance. For short term I might just make it a flat 1/2 your HP in fire damage.

I don't think it should be breakable at all. Players usually have the action economy advantage (or at least they have it among the meaningful contributors to a fight, i.e. non-mooks), so removing one of the PCs from the fight for a few rounds is downside enough, even if doing so keeps them alive.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-05-12, 11:36 AM
I don't think it should be breakable at all. Players usually have the action economy advantage (or at least they have it among the meaningful contributors to a fight, i.e. non-mooks), so removing one of the PCs from the fight for a few rounds is downside enough, even if doing so keeps them alive.

I would agree more with you if it didn't stall someone out to have them come back a little bit more refreshed. I had the intention of having it set up so the individual affected could get a brief respite, but it also does not interrupt concentration. So imagine shenanigans there.:smallamused:

May 21 - Boreal wind added

Forum Explorer
2015-06-24, 03:44 AM
Hmm, it looks potentially more powerful then any warlock ones, but it's really close.

But there are two big things I have problems with.

Ice Barrier: A +3-5 to AC is absolutely huge in this edition. Particularly since Warlocks can take plate armor if it's available. This potentially gives you an AC of 23-25 meaning you have an AC higher then Ancient Dragons, or tied with the Tarrasque if you invest more into it. At level 10.

What I would replace it with: Once per long rest, you may spend an action to gain 5xCha bonus of temporary hit points. These last until they are expended or you take a long rest. You can expend these hit points to unleash a cone of damage 15 feet in front of you, dealing the current number of temporary hit points in damage.

Boreal Wind: It's a lot like Sleet Storm, and completely negate most reasons to use Sleet Storm because it also deals damage, lets you push people away, makes it more difficult to get to you, and gives you the flexibility of pushing objects with the wind. At the low cost of your action, you get the perfect way to give your team a huge defensive advantage, and buy them time to pepper the enemy with ranged attacks. Also, in comparison to gust of wind, you add damage, double the width and height, and triple the range at the low cost of one more spell level.

What I would replace it with: Slow. No need to get fancy. Slow fits the theme with a slight tweak to fluff, and is a good spell.

(I'd actually do the same with Column of Ice, replacing it with Stoneskin. Not that Column seems over powered, it just seems unnecessary to create more homebrew then you have to. And maybe Heat Drain with Conjure Elemental (water only))

Heat Drain is alright, but you forgot to add a saving throw.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-24, 06:57 AM
Appreciate the feedback, will implement suggestions as needed. The AC hasn't been a big deal, but I can see where you're coming from with that + platemail. I am actually using a similar temp HP mechanic with an Ur-Priest warlock I'm working on when stealing from death gods. I like your suggestion with Slow, definitely overlooked that by accident. I haven't kept this or the 3.x ported spells up to date, but when I can get to my own computer I can make the changes that have had to be made. Boreal wind was definitely monstrous and I am still trying to clearly define it as a spell without it overshadowing every other control/damage spell for its level and higher.

If you are ok with it i'll go ahead and post an alternative extended spell list so people aren't forced to use spells that aren't 5e yet. So the temp HP mechanic that you mentioned is very similar to a group of monsters I made who coated themselves in ice that would retaliate. Lots of fun, have a bad dm habit of making / using enemies with death throes or similar mechanics. But just give me some time and i'll post the updated glacier.

faustin
2015-06-24, 07:41 AM
You know, I was expecting a Simon Petrikov based patron :smallbiggrin:

Forum Explorer
2015-06-24, 01:01 PM
Appreciate the feedback, will implement suggestions as needed. The AC hasn't been a big deal, but I can see where you're coming from with that + platemail. I am actually using a similar temp HP mechanic with an Ur-Priest warlock I'm working on when stealing from death gods. I like your suggestion with Slow, definitely overlooked that by accident. I haven't kept this or the 3.x ported spells up to date, but when I can get to my own computer I can make the changes that have had to be made. Boreal wind was definitely monstrous and I am still trying to clearly define it as a spell without it overshadowing every other control/damage spell for its level and higher.

If you are ok with it i'll go ahead and post an alternative extended spell list so people aren't forced to use spells that aren't 5e yet. So the temp HP mechanic that you mentioned is very similar to a group of monsters I made who coated themselves in ice that would retaliate. Lots of fun, have a bad dm habit of making / using enemies with death throes or similar mechanics. But just give me some time and i'll post the updated glacier.

Go for it. :smallsmile:

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-03, 12:30 PM
Alright several Changes made, spells have been updated and a non-homebrew spell list has been added. Slow was not added to list because it was deliberately made a 1/day invocation and I am trying to not spit in the eye of that design.

Minor wording edits throughout.
1st level ability changed to once per short or long rest.
Bumped 6th level up to full HP from 1/2, removing a player from a fight is a big deal, even if that player is already down.
Changed ice barrier (10th level) to an action but kept the rest, yes i know it is a 1 minute +3 shield, but it has yet to prove game breaking in our sessions. Still considering forum explorer's suggestion, just need to look through and test it more.
Spells have been updated in multiple ways for balance, clarification, and flavor.

Hopefully this looks like a bit more of a finished project.

EDIT: Rolling with ForumExplorer's suggestion for Ice Barrier to give temp HP. Keeping cone damage as is. Might adjust later as needed.
Added a defensive cc mechanic to being hit while temp hp persist.