PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Hero! [Flaws]

Khoran
2007-04-20, 01:29 AM
So, I'm bored and decided to brew up a few Flaws. First attempt at flaws, so I'm not sure if they're too devistating or not.

Overconfident (Flaw)
You are so confident in your abilities that you become a danger to yourself without realizing it. You will not realize when you are in over your head, thinking that everything is still in control.
You may not take a 5-ft step to move out of an enemies threatened square unless you are entering another of it's threatened squares. You may not cast defensivly. In order to Withdraw, first you must make a will save (DC 10+1/2 Your HD) or you must remain in combat.

Attack the Big One! (Flaw)
The bigger they are, the more dangerous they are, always. This idea is instilled somewhere in your thoughts, and may cause you to forget the less physically impressive yet greater threat.
When you begin combat with multiple hostile creatures, you must automatically attack the largest creature amongst them; this does not force you to attack if you would not do so otherwise against a different target. After being attacked by a smaller creature or threatened by a smaller creature, you must pass a will save in order to change your target. The Save DC is 10+The Larger creatures HD+The number of size differeces between the two creatures.

So, what do you all think?

Icewalker
2007-04-20, 01:33 AM
I like the second one, very fun.

I've always thought of the first one as an automatic for dudes with low wisdom. Hero: "Oh I can totally take him (no common sense!)"
Evil: *zap*
Pile of dust: "I believe I require the services of a healer."

10 points to whoever catches the LFG reference!

paigeoliver
2007-04-20, 01:34 AM
Both are fine ideas although the implementation of the second one is far too complex.

Also, reread them, you have some grammar errors in there.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-20, 02:01 AM
Gimme my points, Icewalker.

Not bad, but I'd make sure there's a clause in there about fighting tactically--You shouldn't be compelled to go from point A to point Godzilla, and you should maintain SOME common sense, just a heavy predisposition to attacking biggies.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-20, 06:23 AM
I'd take the second one. That's kinda how my new character will act.

Khoran
2007-04-20, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the help and comments everyone. I've changed Attack the Big One. Made the save less crazy for large targets and simplified changing targets, as well as clarified that "Attack the Big One" does not force you to go into a fight, just that should you begin combat yourself, you are subject to the flaw.

I'll post more if I get any more ideas on how to be a "Hero".

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-20, 08:39 AM
To simplify overconfident, why not just take away the ability to use the withrdraw action, take a 5-foot step, and cast defensively. That seems like hubris if I've ever seen it.

As for attack the big one, why not force them to attack the biggest creature and only allow a will save when their hit by something smaller. I'd personally remove the bit about being compelled to attack larger groups and armored individuals. After all, with those components, in an encounter against an army of 1,000 kobolds, a level 20 wizard wearing the vest of the archmagi, and a colossal ooze, the character would be compelled to attack all three simultaneously.

Khoran
2007-04-20, 09:14 AM
To simplify overconfident, why not just take away the ability to use the withrdraw action, take a 5-foot step, and cast defensively. That seems like hubris if I've ever seen it.

Well, I'd still like Withdraw to be possible (Though unlikely). However, no 5-ft step and Casting Defensivly is good. Do you think I should do the same with Fighting Defensivly and/or Total Defense actions?

As for attack the big one, why not force them to attack the biggest creature and only allow a will save when their hit by something smaller. I'd personally remove the bit about being compelled to attack larger groups and armored individuals. After all, with those components, in an encounter against an army of 1,000 kobolds, a level 20 wizard wearing the vest of the archmagi, and a colossal ooze, the character would be compelled to attack all three simultaneously.
Sounds good, I think I'm going to swap it out so that it's always the largest target.