PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Ascendant: Monk + Summoner Hybrid Class

Milo v3
2015-05-24, 04:17 AM
The Ascendant

Some warriors spend years of training and meditation to improve their bodies, minds, and souls in the aim of perfection and enlightenment. Some mages bind themselves to beings from beyond the mortal realm for arcane power. But some who have meditated and philosophized enough may find their souls becoming something more than it should be, something more planar in nature. Ascendants are individuals whose soul has grown to be similar to an outsider itself, and like outsiders, their souls possess physical bodies. When they choose to manifest this body, their normal body is kept safe and immaterial without the soul, but it can only remain within for so long before it requires sustenance.

Role: Ascendants are highly mobile warriors. They can strike powerfully, have high amounts of defences, and teleport around the battlefield to bypass hazards and enemies. But ascendants can also be talented in skills, possibly gaining racial bonuses while in their evolved form.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d10.

Parent Classes: Monk and summoner.

Starting Wealth: 1d6 × 10 gp (average 35 gp).

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Natural Strike

1st
+1
+2
+0
+2
Diverse Soul, Evolving Soul, Natural Strike, Outsider Affinity
1d6

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+3
Evasion, Otherworldly Eyes
1d6

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+3
Anima Armour +1
1d6

4th
+4
+4
+1
+4
Affinity Evolutions
1d6

5th
+5
+4
+1
+4
Twin Truths
1d8

6th
+6/+1
+5
+2
+5
Wholeness of Body
1d8

7th
+7/+2
+5
+2
+5
Abundant Step, Anima Armour +2
1d8

8th
+8/+3
+6
+2
+6
Affinity Evolutions
1d8

9th
+9/+4
+6
+3
+6
Manifesting
1d8

10th
+10/+5
+7
+3
+7
Improved Evasion
1d10

11th
+11/+6/+1
+7
+3
+7
Anima Armour +3
1d10

12th
+12/+7/+2
]+8
+4
+8
Affinity Evolutions
]1d10

13th
+13/+8/+3
+8
+4
+8
Controlled Shape
1d10

14th
+14/+9/+4
+9
+4
+9
Otherworldly Step
1d10

15th
+15/+10/+5
+9
+5
+9
Anima Armour +4
2d6

16th
+16/+11/+6/+1
+10
+5
+10
Affinity Evolutions
2d6

17th
+17/+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+10
Timeless Body
2d6

18th
+18/13/+8/+3
+11
+6
+11
Expanded Manifesting
2d6

19th
+19/+14/+9/+4
+11
+6
+11
Anima Armour +5
2d6

20th
+20/+15/+10/+5
+12
+6
+12
Affinity Evolutions, Perfect Soul
2d8

Class Skills
The ascendant's class skills are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Knowledge (planes)(Int), Perception (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex) and four additional skills determined by diverse soul (see below).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
The following are the class features of the ascendant.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Ascendants are proficient with simple weapons and any weapon with the monk special weapon quality. Ascendants are not proficient with any armour or shields.

Diverse Soul: Outsiders are a diverse group of beings, as each is formed from unique souls. In addition to the class skills listed above, ascendants may select four additional skills of their choosing to be class skills. The additional class skills can be any skill except; that if he selects Knowledge as one of these skills it must be specific type of knowledge skill, and if his outsider affinity grants him Skilled as an evolution at first level he must take whichever skill that evolution applies to as an additional class skill if it isn’t already a class skill.

Evolving Soul (Su): An ascendant begins play with the ability to subsume their body into their soul, causing their soul to flow out and become a solid body into a planar form as a standard action. The benefit of this form is that the ascendant gains a number of evolutions, some from their level and some from their outsider affinity (see below). The evolved form’s physical appearance is up to the ascendant, but it always appears as some sort of fantastical creature appropriate to its subtype. This control is not fine enough to make the form appear like a specific creature. This form completely replaces the ascendant normal appearance.

The ascendant’s evolved form possess a pool of evolution points equal to their class level, which can be spent as if he were a biped eidolon and a summoner level equal to their class level by spending 10 minutes in meditation and concentration per point being spent. In addition, he can spend 5 minutes in meditation and concentration to lose an evolution and return the points that were spent on it to his pool. Despite only gaining the benefits of these evolutions while in evolved form, he can only perform these meditations when he is not in evolved form.

Being in his evolved form does possess some vulnerabilities; he counts as his normal type or outsider (whichever is worse) for the purpose of spells and effects, creatures that are protected against summoned creatures (such as creatures affected by protection from evil) gain a +4 deflection bonus to armour class against his natural and unarmed attacks, and whenever he would be affected by banishment or a similar effect he automatically leaves evolved form.

While he can eat and drink in evolved form, these acts do not count towards giving him sustenance. He can leave his evolved form with a full-round action, and he automatically leaves it if he falls unconscious. Regardless of how he leaves evolved form, the ascendant becomes shaken for 1d4 minutes (this is not a fear effect) and he cannot enter evolved form until he loses the shaken condition.

Natural Strike (Ex): At first level, the ascendant gains a slam attack as a primary natural weapon. The damage dealt by an ascendant’s slam attack is determined by the natural strike column on the table above (The damage listed is for Medium ascendants). An ascendant's slam attack is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

This slam attack can be used in place of unarmed attacks whenever the ascendant would benefit from doing so, and he counts as having Improved Unarmed Strike for the purposes of meeting feat prerequisites. Unlike normal, an ascendant can make iterative attacks with his slam attack as if it was a light manufactured weapon of the close weapon group (rather than a natural weapon).

Only the ascendant's first slam attack they possess gains the increase in damage from this ability, slams they possess in addition have damage determined by their origin, size and feats. Finally for the purpose of how many times the ascendant can take the slam evolution, he is counted as already having taken it once.

Outsider Affinity: Most do not know what awaits them in the afterlife, but most can’t view upon their own soul’s future. At first level, the ascendant must select one of the eidolon subtypes that matches his alignment. This decision remains until the ascendant’s alignment changes, where he must immediately select a new affinity subtype. While in evolved form you gain all the base evolutions of your affinity subtype as if you were an eidolon, using your class level to determine what abilities are gained.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level, an ascendant can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he succeeds at a Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ascendant is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless ascendant does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Otherworldly Eyes (Su): Upon reaching second level, the ascendant’s eyes become windows to the soul. He gains darkvision 60 ft., and an insight bonus to sense motive checks equal to his charisma bonus (minimum +1).

Anima Armour (Su): A third level ascendant can shape his soul to grant himself protection from attacks. He gains an enhancement bonus to natural armour equal to his charisma bonus + 1, which increases by +1 every four levels thereafter. In addition, your natural armour acts as though it had the Ghost Touch special ability.

Twin Truths (Ex): At fifth level, the ascendants evolved form starts counting as their true form. Spells and effects that show an individual's true form (such as true seeing) does not see through the evolved form.

Wholeness of Body (Su): By shaping their soul into their flesh, ascendants of sixth level or higher can spend a full-round action to heal an amount of damage equal to 1d8 + his ascendant level. The ascendant can do this a number of times per day equal to his charisma bonus (minimum 1).

Abundant Step (Su): A seventh level ascendant can use their planar nature to slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door. Using this ability is a move action, which can be made a number of times per day equal to his charisma bonus (minimum 1). The ascendant’s caster level for this effect is equal to his class level. He cannot take other creatures with him when he uses this ability.

Manifesting (Su): Upon reaching 9th level, the ascendant’s soul becomes so attuned to their affinity that it’s power bleeds into your mortal frame. He gains the base evolutions from his Outsider Affinity even when not in his evolved form. For base evolutions that would cause changes in physical appearance, these changes only occur when you are actively using the evolution, such as immediately growing wings when an Angel Ascendant would attempt to fly in their normal form and then immediately lose the wings when you stop flying.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 10th level, an ascendant’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on successful Reflex saving throws against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on failed saves. A helpless ascendant does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Controlled Shape (Ex): Since the ascendant’s shape comes from their souls, they grow resistant to others attempting to shape their flesh. A thirteenth level ascendant gains the shapechanger subtype.

Otherworldly Step (Sp): A fourteenth level ascendant can use their planar nature to slip magically between dimensions, as if using the spell planeshift. Using this ability is a full-round action, which can be made a number of times per week equal to his charisma bonus (minimum 1). The ascendant’s caster level for this effect is equal to his class level.

Timeless Body (Ex): At 17th level, the ascendant’s bond to the planes causes him to no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, are removed. Age bonuses still accrue, and the ascendant still dies of old age when his time is up.

Expanded Manifesting (Su): Upon reaching 18th level, an ascendant that is not in evolved form can spend a swift action to gain one of the evolutions his evolved form possesses until the start of his next turn.

Perfect Soul: At 20th level, an ascendant's soul has reached a state of perfection high enough that it cannot be contained by his mortal flesh. He is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than a humanoid (or whatever his original creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects whenever it would be beneficial. The ascendant cannot leave evolved form, and can now gain sustenance while in the form. In addition, the ascendant must pick a plane to be an outsider of that is suitable for his evolved soul's subtype. The ascendant is considered to be an outsider of that plane for all effects, and gains the extraplanar subtype when not on that plane of existance.

khadgar567
2015-05-24, 07:34 AM
milo your class looks good but I have some questions about class

* if this class similar to monk can we have furry of blows with this class
* and secondly how much this class get evo points per level

Milo v3
2015-05-24, 07:38 AM
* if this class similar to monk can we have furry of blows with this class
Flurry of blows would be abit weird in my opinion with it, since you're using natural weapons and the fact you can get pounce.

and secondly how much this class get evo points per level
In evolved soul, it lists you get 1 per class level.

Hanuman
2015-05-25, 07:13 PM
@Flurry of blows
Flurry is strictly pretty bad, the fact that this class is kind of looking like an iterative build is very odd, but I guess that's to balance the high damage output by giving all his attacks high damage by default, making this into an unarmed blender build. I mean usually with this kind of thing you'd just strap more slams onto it with the evo pool but this is kinda strange... frozen between 2 attack systems. Interesting. Don't quite know what to make of that.
(Q) Is Natural Strike intended to apply to all slam attacks, or just your first one?

@Diverse Soul
Totally fine, tier3 skillmonkey hybrid, no huge benefit from INT, I see no issue in a med-high power campaign, in a low tier campaign just from the overview of HD, good saves, full BAB and extra abilities++ you're going to outshine puny tier 4's and 5's, though that should be a non-issue.

@Evolved Soul
This should actually go a bit more into specificity, it's not clear what "soul" is, whether it is ethereal or incorporeal ect, and some examples would benefit, pictures would be perfect.
Like if you make a soul sword is that sword then as vulnerable as your body? I mean I totally 100% understand the ruling in this case (because I brew things exactly like this) but distinctions like "if i dip my soul sword into a curtain of lava to break the hourglass timer in a dungeon puzzle, does the character get burned? Things like this are important when the player rashly acts under the assumption that the sword is like a real sword and the DM RAI's it to deal 6d6 fire damage and kills the player.

@Abilities up to 7th level
Very interesting, I can see where you got the build approach from :smallwink:
Everything is peachy keen.

@Manifesting
I like it, simple and elegant. This class is really nice because it slots so well into source material you could mistake it for source.

@Controlled Shape
It's level 13, just give them shapechanger subtype, it grants immunity.

@Capstone
Disguise self is a 1st level spell, just give the player complete freedom over appearance, even a nonmagical at-will self-polymorph spell isn't inappropriate for a capstone in PF.

Overall the class is good, if given the option to play source material or this in my next campaign I'd probably play this.

Let me know if you want specific feedback! :smallsmile:

Milo v3
2015-05-25, 07:49 PM
@Flurry of blows
Flurry is strictly pretty bad, the fact that this class is kind of looking like an iterative build is very odd, but I guess that's to balance the high damage output by giving all his attacks high damage by default, making this into an unarmed blender build. I mean usually with this kind of thing you'd just strap more slams onto it with the evo pool but this is kinda strange... frozen between 2 attack systems. Interesting. Don't quite know what to make of that.
(Q) Is Natural Strike intended to apply to all slam attacks, or just your first one?
Just the first one... I should put the language in.

As for having two attack systems. That's to allow people to make ascendants that aren't just covered in natural attacks to function, which is a common issue with eidolons.

@Diverse Soul
Totally fine, tier3 skillmonkey hybrid, no huge benefit from INT, I see no issue in a med-high power campaign, in a low tier campaign just from the overview of HD, good saves, full BAB and extra abilities++ you're going to outshine puny tier 4's and 5's, though that should be a non-issue.
I might still tone down the skills to 4+...

@Evolved Soul
This should actually go a bit more into specificity, it's not clear what "soul" is, whether it is ethereal or incorporeal ect, and some examples would benefit, pictures would be perfect.
Like if you make a soul sword is that sword then as vulnerable as your body? I mean I totally 100% understand the ruling in this case (because I brew things exactly like this) but distinctions like "if i dip my soul sword into a curtain of lava to break the hourglass timer in a dungeon puzzle, does the character get burned? Things like this are important when the player rashly acts under the assumption that the sword is like a real sword and the DM RAI's it to deal 6d6 fire damage and kills the player.
The soul is your body, since it's an outsider, there flesh and their soul is one entity. So... if you gave your ascendant a sword as part of the appearance (representing a claw attack or something), it would be physically part of your body... so umm... don't shove it in lava unless you have fire resistance/immunity (not to hard to get actually).

@Abilities up to 7th level
Very interesting, I can see where you got the build approach from :smallwink:
Everything is peachy keen.
Actually, most of those come from monk.

Abundant step = monk power (plus it fits since outsiders basically all have teleport SLA's)
Improved Evasion = monk
Otherworldly Step = Monk-ish (instead of going ethereal you go extraplanar)
Timeless Body = Monk
Perfect Soul = Monk + not vulnerable to outsider weaknesses + age control + free changing between forms + appearance changing - DR.

@Controlled Shape
It's level 13, just give them shapechanger subtype, it grants immunity.
Oh, that's useful.

@Capstone
Disguise self is a 1st level spell, just give the player complete freedom over appearance, even a nonmagical at-will self-polymorph spell isn't inappropriate for a capstone in PF.
I don't feel as though that's necessary considering all the other stuff the capstone gives.

Overall the class is good, if given the option to play source material or this in my next campaign I'd probably play this.
Yay.

qazzquimby
2015-05-26, 01:58 AM
The soul is your body, since it's an outsider, there flesh and their soul is one entity.
I'd never heard of this. Do you know where that is explained? I've always thought outsiders were only different when it came to planar effects.

Milo v3
2015-05-26, 02:09 AM
I'd never heard of this. Do you know where that is explained? I've always thought outsiders were only different when it came to planar effects.

It's part of the outsiders traits:

Unlike most living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don't work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.

They are literally solid souls. Which is very nice flavour from my perspective. Has lead to some shenanigans in my group by using magic jar with outsiders.

Edit: The planar effects thing also isn't an outsider thing (I'm thinking about the things your thinking about), it's an extraplanar subtype thing. Which automatically is applied to any creature not currently on it's native plane, even humanoids and vermin.

skwidkidd
2015-05-26, 04:39 PM
You should put a list of acceptable diverse souls and the skills/abilities that comes with each of them but otherwise very nice class.

Milo v3
2015-05-26, 04:44 PM
You should put a list of acceptable diverse souls and the skills/abilities that comes with each of them but otherwise very nice class.

What do you mean? You get to pick any skills. What abilities?

Hanuman
2015-05-26, 09:01 PM
@Outsiders
Aha, see there's a stepping stone that you need to address.

The class should gain the Outsider type with the Native subtype, because you're fluffing the class as if it were an outsider even though it's not.

Essentially you want the class to become somewhat similar to an aasimar (Outsider [Native]) but able to shapechange (the changing of soul stuff is fluff, if body = soul then you can just say their body changes and have it read more easily, or you can include that changing the soul changes the body if they work as one unit as per RAW of outsiders).

@Diverse
Basically he is saying that because outsiders contain a different essence than humanoids that it would be fun to have some things that depend on exactly which outsider you pick, or what plane you pick. It doesn't really matter though I don't think, but it should kind of be addressed at least in fluff how your essence transforms or whatever. Stuff.

Milo v3
2015-05-26, 09:11 PM
@Outsiders
Aha, see there's a stepping stone that you need to address.

The class should gain the Outsider type with the Native subtype, because you're fluffing the class as if it were an outsider even though it's not.

Essentially you want the class to become somewhat similar to an aasimar (Outsider [Native]) but able to shapechange (the changing of soul stuff is fluff, if body = soul then you can just say their body changes and have it read more easily, or you can include that changing the soul changes the body if they work as one unit as per RAW of outsiders).

@Diverse
Basically he is saying that because outsiders contain a different essence than humanoids that it would be fun to have some things that depend on exactly which outsider you pick, or what plane you pick. It doesn't really matter though I don't think, but it should kind of be addressed at least in fluff how your essence transforms or whatever. Stuff.

@Outsiders. I don't see it as fluffing the class as if it were an outsider even though it's not, I am trying to fluff it that the persons soul is becoming an outsider. Also if they were (Native) then they wouldn't gain any of the outsider subtype abilities since those are all extraplanar outsiders. If it was native it'd have to be kami, oni, rakshasa, etc.

@Diverse. It is already tied to what outsider subtype you pick. For example, if your outsider subtype is Archon you would have to pick Intimidate as one of your class skills.

Hanuman
2015-05-26, 10:48 PM
@Outsiders. I don't see it as fluffing the class as if it were an outsider even though it's not, I am trying to fluff it that the persons soul is becoming an outsider. Also if they were (Native) then they wouldn't gain any of the outsider subtype abilities since those are all extraplanar outsiders. If it was native it'd have to be kami, oni, rakshasa, etc.

Where does it state that your soul is your body?

The premise of a stepping stone is that it is not the end product.

Milo v3
2015-05-26, 10:50 PM
Where does it state that your soul is your body?

The premise of a stepping stone is that it is not the end product.

Well, it says doing it solidifies into a different form and it says:

This form completely replaces the ascendant normal appearance.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-27, 10:10 AM
I like it. Definitely saving this one for later.